No Drug Wars in Mexico/Weaker Cartels

With a POD of after 1945 or so, how do you minimize the bloodiness of the Mexican Drug Wars as well as the power and influence of that country's drug cartels? I do prefer more plausible and limited divergences rather than something along the lines of the US suddenly ending the Drug Wars and decriminalizing all controlled substances. Could its rise have been prevented by an economically stronger Mexico that was more convergent with the United States for instance?

With a POD of after 1945 or so, how do you minimize the bloodiness of the Mexican Drug Wars as well as the power and influence of that country's drug cartels? I do prefer more plausible and limited divergences rather than something along the lines of the US suddenly ending the Drug Wars and decriminalizing all controlled substances. Could its rise have been prevented by an economically stronger Mexico that was more convergent with the United States for instance?

Mexico collapses in the late 80s, and joins the United States in the early 1990s.

It’s not nonplausible for the Drug War to end. It did start with freakin Nixon after all and was politically motivated. My guess would be have them not criminalize the usage and maybe have WW2 veterans align with the hippy counterculture to try and moderate the view on drugs to not get a bad view.

That would make it easier to decriminalize stuff over time.