New Netherlands remains Netherlands

• Thread starter Deleted member 2186
  • Start date
If the dutch kept New Netherlands wouldn't the French have jept Louisiana and Quebec too? And Spain Florida, Texas, and California? And Russia Alaska

In order to keep NN, the Dutch would have to give up Suriname, which I don't see happening.

If the dutch kept New Netherlands wouldn't the French have jept Louisiana and Quebec too? And Spain Florida, Texas, and California? And Russia Alaska

Possibly, but not necesarry. Even if the Dutch keep the New Netherlands it is likely that the English and French come into conflict and thus try to kick each other out of North America. True,without New York it becomes slightly harder, although the Dutch probably would help the English; they were allies for a long time after the glorious revolution.

In order to keep NN, the Dutch would have to give up Suriname, which I don't see happening.
Well that depends on the POD. Without the (2nd and 3rd) Anglo-Dutch wars the Dutch would keep the New Netherlands (and not gain Surinam). If th Dutch do better during the Anglo-Dutch wars (by defending or recapturing the New Netherlands) they could gain both. It is possible that the Dutch do not capture Surinam, but another less interesting English colony (I believe they made a failed attempt at Carolina, must check that though). They exchange it for the New Netherlands. etc. There are enough ways for the Dutch to keep the New Netherlands.

I spotted these 2 alternate maps on Deviantart showing how New Netherlands could had grown
http://fav.me/d1dsstt
http://fav.me/d1lyyok
I don't see how the Italians are randomly going to gain North Carolina, or why the English will lose the Massachusetts bay colonies and Virginia but keep South Carolina. Now, disregarding the non-Dutch parts, the first one seems reasonable, the second one the Dutch take too much English territory.

Neat map, although I have the following reservations:

1) Washington, D.C. still in the same spot? Given the loss of the Northeast I'd imagine they'd put it further inland to maintain "balance" between the North and the South while keeping it out of hostile hands at the same time.

2) The populations of the USA, Texas and New Netherlands all seem rather small...is this map set in the early 20th. Century? If so I can see it, but if not they need about 40 million, 20 million and 10 million more apiece (not exact numbers, just an estimate).

3) I'm surprised New England didn't fold back into the British camp, even if just in a personal union or something similar.

Deleted member 2186

Neat map, although I have the following reservations:

No problem.

1) Washington, D.C. still in the same spot? Given the loss of the Northeast I'd imagine they'd put it further inland to maintain "balance" between the North and the South while keeping it out of hostile hands at the same time.

Washington, DC is still in the same place as it is in OTL.

2) The populations of the USA, Texas and New Netherlands all seem rather small...is this map set in the early 20th. Century? If so I can see it, but if not they need about 40 million, 20 million and 10 million more apiece (not exact numbers, just an estimate).

This map is set around 1940.

3) I'm surprised New England didn't fold back into the British camp, even if just in a personal union or something similar.

The reason why the 1st American civil war (1805-1807) happen was that the New England region was separated from the United States of America by the Kingdom of New Netherlands and it wanting to have closer ties to the United Kingdom. So your assumption is somewhat correct ,the Commonwealth of New England is a independent country but extremely pro/British in this timeline.

Deleted member 2186

Austria Volunteers Corps in Mexico

When the Second French Empire in 1868 removed all of their troops still present in the Second Mexican Empire due to rising tensioning in Europe the Second Mexican Empire now without an ally was left on its own. Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico believing that measures had to be taken in order for the Second Mexican Empire to survive true his emissary to Austria-Hungary send a letter to his brother Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria-Hungary to help him. Emperor Franz Joseph I decided to fulfill the request as it would greatly enhance the prestige of Austria-Hungary and agreed to allow the formation of the Austrian Volunteer Corps (German: Österreichisch-Freiwilligenkorps in Mexiko) to go to Mexico to train and support the Mexican Imperial Army. Recruitment began in early 1868 in Laibach, with volunteers coming from all corners of the Austria-Hungary Empire.

The initial strength of the Austrian Volunteer Corps was 3,500 men. Upon the arrival in Mexico the Austria Volunteers Corps was supplemented with Mexican Imperial Army battalions to form the 2nd Territorial Division, based out of the city of Puebla.

Although the Austria Volunteers Corps was mainly there to support the Mexican Imperial Army it also alongside the Mexican Imperial Guard guarded the National Palace, Chapultapec Castle and provided security for Emperor Maximilian I and Empress Charlotte.

By 1869 the Austria Volunteers Corps had expanded to a force of 6,800 men organized into three Jager (rifle) battalions consisting each of six companies , the “Kaiser Maximilian” Hussar regiment (five squadrons ) and a Uhlan ( lancer ) regiment , three batteries of mountain artillery, two companies of pioneers and an assortment of support personnel such as gendarmes and medics transport.

Also in late 1869 a smaller Belgian Legion consisted of the’ Kaiserin Charlotte’ Battalion numbering in all about 900 men had been organized at the request of Maximilian's wife, Empress Charlotte. But unlike the Austria Volunteers Corps it was mainly there to protect the empress, a job fulfilled until the death of Empress Charlotte in 1927 when it was disbanded.

When in 1870 the 2nd Mexican-Texas War broke out the Austria Volunteers Corps was used as the elite shock troops within the Mexican Imperial Army. By 1871 the Austria Volunteers Corps together with the Mexican Imperial Army had fought back the Texas militia and regain much of the territories of Coahuila, Nuevo León and Tamaulipas that the Republic of Texas had gained when it became an independent nation after winning the Texas War of Independence (1835-1836). However by late 1871 the United States of America began to apply pressure to both warring sides in an effort to end the conflict and managed to mediate an end to the 2nd Mexico-Texas War in 1872 which resulted in the treaty of Santa Fe.

With the 2nd Mexican-Texas War over the Austria Volunteers Corps was disbanded in accordance with the treaty of Santa Fe which ended the war and was replaced by the Austria-Hungary military mission to Mexico which remained in the country until 1915.

Austria-Hungary military mission to Mexico

The Austria-Hungary military mission to Mexico (German:Österreichisch-Ungarische Militärmission in Mexiko) was the Austria-Hungary military mission to that country. The mission was formed by Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria-Hungary who was also the brother of Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico, following a request of the General Congress of the Empire of Mexico (spanish:Congreso de la Imperio Mexicano) in the person of its emissary to Austria-Hungary. The Austria-Hungary military mission to Mexico would be used to reorganize the Imperial Mexican Army previous trained by the French forces in Mexico (1860-1868) and the Austria Volunteers Corps in Mexico (1868-1872) which had fought alongside the Imperial Mexican Army in the 2nd Mexican-Texas War (1870-1872) but which was disbanded in accordance with the treaty of Santa Fe which ended the war.

The Austria-Hungary began operating from the Military College (spanish:Colegio Militar) located in Mexico City where it would remain until 1890 when most of the Austria-Hungary mission was relocated to the Austro-Hungarian concession located in Mexico City.

By 1876 the entire Imperial Mexican Army was equipped with Austrian uniforms and 8,000 new rifles (M1867 Werndl-Holub service rifle ) had been bought in Austria-Hungary to equip the Imperial Mexican Army six infantry battalions totaling some 7,000 men while the Imperial Mexican Auxiliaries and the Imperial Mexican Militia where beginning to receive the somewhat older Wanzl breech loading musket rifle.

In 1877 the Austria-Hungary mission set up a shooting school and eleven years later in 1888 an arsenal for gun and munitions manufacture, equipped with Austria-Hungary machinery was set up with the assistance of the Austria-Hungary mission. This arsenal named Arsenal imperial (English:Imperial Armory) located in Mexico City allowed the Second Mexican Empire to reduce its dependency on foreign produce firearms. The first rifle produced at the Arsenal imperial would be the Fusil Mondragón Modelo 1887 whose designer general Manuel Mondragón would also become the Arsenal imperial first director. The Arsenal imperial would remain the main producer of local and licenses produced artillery and firearms until the arrival of the Mendoza Arsenal in 1911.

By 1890 the Austria-Hungary military mission to Mexico after having been in the country for sixteen years had shrunk to a couple dozen of Austria-Hungary military advisors operating out of the Austro-Hungarian concession that were mostly used to observe training of the Imperial Mexican Army.

In 1910 when the Mexican-Texas Border War ore also known as the 3rd Mexican-Texas War began the Austria-Hungary mission observed the border skirmishes between the Imperial Mexican Army and the Republic of Texas Army which lasted until 1915 when the Austria-Hungary mission was ordered to leave the Second Mexican Empire by an imperial decree signed by emperor Maximilian II after pressure from both the United Kingdom and the French Republic who were at war with Austria-Hungary became too great to be ignored by the Second Mexican Empire who feared that the United Kingdom and the French Republic would side with the Republic of Texas in the ongoing border war which by now had entered its fifth year.

While the Austria-Hungary military mission to Mexico ended in 1915 the Austro-Hungarian concession located in Mexico City remained until the war in Europe ended in 1918 which saw the Austro-Hungarian Empire being dissolved ending the Mexican and Austria-Hungary relationship which began in 1863 with the crowing of Archduke Ferdinand as the first emperor of the Second Mexican Empire.