New Deal Coalition Retained Pt II: World on Fire

1sl52b.jpg

I feel that the Communists will lose the war due to the old saying, "an army marches on its stomach". Commies have the heart for battle, but lack the stomach.

Really, the biggest problem with the post-1960's Soviet Union was their almost comical obsession with producing steel and cement. Had they offset that with light industry, they may well have lasted.

And when the Union ended, all those steel and cement companies became redundant. That's why cities like Norilsk turned out worst than Detroit: nobody wanted to invest in a steel mill in the middle of a tundra.

Didn't Vizzini specifically say not to get involved in a land war in Asia?

I know the Middle East is technically part of Asia, but I tend not to make that association mentally.

Didn't Vizzini lose in the end? ;). In all seriousness I just wanted to use a princess bride reference. And yes, I know Vizzini got cheated, but at least as a Sicilian he should of known better!

And when the Union ended, all those steel and cement companies became redundant. That's why cities like Norilsk turned out worst than Detroit: nobody wanted to invest in a steel mill in the middle of a tundra.

This. All across the eastern bloc, factories in the cold war have now been closed down or severely reduced in manpower. Insert cultural changes in their country and you have populist reactionaries!

Orban is an anti-Semitic loon.

I don't think he's personally anti-Semitic. He's just a complete opportunist taking advantage of his society's biases formed throughout its history but strengthened in the Communist era (the view that the communist rule was the plan of Jewish world domination). That's not better, but I just don't see him as a Jobbik kind of guy. Neither is Robert Fico, but Fico, like Orban, is an opportunist.

My opinion of Orban is that if 80% of Hungary was pro gay marriage he would be traveling around the country with a rainbow flag and calling the 20% a bunch of homophobes. But as of now he's applauding Hungarian gays for essentially staying in the closet for the good of the country. Go figure.

Last edited:
I don't think he's personally anti-Semitic. He's just a complete opportunist taking advantage of his society's biases formed throughout its history but strengthened in the Communist era (the view that the communist rule was the plan of Jewish world domination). That's not better, but I just don't see him as a Jobbik kind of guy. Neither is Robert Fico, but Fico, like Orban, is an opportunist.

My opinion of Orban is that if 80% of Hungary was pro gay marriage he would be traveling around the country with a rainbow flag and calling the 20% a bunch of homophobes.

I find it repulsive, considering one of the most infamous stories of the Holocaust was told by a Hungarian Jew.

I find it repulsive, considering one of the most infamous stories of the Holocaust was told by a Hungarian Jew.

Of course it's repulsive. People find Neville Chamberlain repulsive for bowing to the Nazis (and rightfully so), but that doesn't mean he's a Nazi. There are two group of people in the awful category of politics, real believers of evil, and amoral opportunists. I strongly despise both. It is just of my opinion that Orban belongs to the latter. That is all. He is the Chamberlain to Hungarian anti-Semitic reactionary being Hitler. I hope I already made it clear that I'm not excusing it, but merely that I personally don't see him as some rabid anti semite. I see him as a guy using them and fanning the flames to increase their numbers ofr his benefit.

Operation Konstantin
Operation Konstantin

“Today, the redemption of the German Volk begins.”

-Gerhard Frey-

Despite the commencement of hostilities over five months before, the Soviet Union viewed the main thrust of the war being into Germany. It was not only military necessary (offering the only flat trajectory to the Atlantic as opposed to the mountainous goings through northern Italy due to the Alps), but also the focal propaganda point of the entire Warsaw Pact. The very casus belli was the “Neo-Hitlerite regime” in Bonn. Fear of Germany and the Germans ingrained in the Russian DNA, it was imperative that the USSR take out the Free Empire in the massive campaign set for May 1989. Marshal Akhromeyev christened it Operation Konstantin, and the Politburo gave it their blessing following the fall of Prague and Vienna.

two-m-60a3-main-battle-tanks-move-along-a-road-during-central-guardian-hejyj2.jpg

It called for a five-prong assault: 1) north into Schleswig-Holstein to capture Hamburg and Denmark, 2) Into Hannover to reach the mouth of the Rhine, 3) the main thrust through the Fulda Gap to the Rhineland with the bulk of the 4 million ground troops allocated for the invasion, 4) an attack from Thuringia into northern Bavaria, and 5) a drive through the Sudetenland to Munich and Baden-Württemberg. This was considered fait accompli among NATO high command. Colin Powell had ordered full defensive measures taken since the Border Battle, on top of the efforts by the Frey Government taken since their election two years before.

Gerhard Frey and his defense team of Defense Minister Helmut Kohl, and Supreme Field Commander Gert Bastian knew that their country would become the supreme battleground. Along with the massive military buildup, both state workers and volunteer labor battalions went to work constructing an intricate wave of defenses from the eastern border to the west. When tensions flared into worldwide mobilization, Frey ordered the evacuation plan, the slow shuffling of German citizens away from the battlefields to safe zones west of the Rhine. When war arrived, NATO was fully prepared to wage defensive war. A taste of it was acquired in the East German assault on West Berlin in February. The German defenders fought hard and fanatically, inflicting over five to one casualties and dragging the battle from a projected two days into three weeks of pitched urban combat.

The operation was precluded with a massive air campaign. Dating back to Khrushchev, the USSR had invested in a massive strategic bombing force – with the various arms reduction treaties kyboshing many nuclear units, the bombers involved were redirected to conventional strikes and would be a common feature in the battles over Europe. While fighters and strike aircraft dueled with NATO forces for control over the German and Italian skies (and largely gaining air supremacy over Norway), the bombers used bases in Kola, northern Norway, and the Ukraine to assault France, the UK, the low countries, and the boot of Italy. London, Paris, Rome, Manchester, and Birmingham were hit the hardest owing to their industrial capacity, civilian casualties mounting in the tens of thousands.

Finally, on May 2nd, the sheer firepower of the Red Army was unleashed on Germany. Saturating the ground with high explosives and every manner of poison gas, crack Shock units and tank divisions advanced into the meatgrinder. The going was slow in the face of insanely tough NATO resistance, the only quick victories being the capture of Zealand via airborne/heliborne assault and reaching the outskirts of Hamburg all within a few weeks. Slowly but surely, the Summer of Blood would find the Western Front under Boris Gromov advancing through the churned up and poisoned soil. Casualties were astronomical, fanatical Germans using the built-up nature of West Germany in ferocious holding actions in which carpets of corpses had to be expended to take. The going was better nearer to the sea, less well-trained Dutch and Belgian forces forced back to west of Bremen (which fell in June) and to the Rhine itself (August). Russian/East German attempts to cross at Arnhem were repulsed with heavy losses to both sides, though Soviet artillery began shelling Amsterdam.

Chechnya9268.jpg

To the south, the push against Bavaria was far lighter. Nearly 30% Polish/Hungarian in strength, the Warsaw Pact armies were able to use more maneuver tactics in the wider spaces, but still took heavy casualties. Nuremberg fell on the 31st of May, while Munich held out in an intense house to house melee until a tank division essentially destroyed itself to break through the American lines at Freising. By the end of August, the southern prong had reached Baden (Stuttgart torn apart in a stalemated carnage) while the all important center prong had spilled rivers of blood to reach the eastern Rhineland.

upload_2019-3-30_23-15-54.png

While the headlines across North America, Britain, and Asia were apoplectic at the loss of nearly everything east of the Rhine, the situation wasn’t completely dire for NATO. Due to the overall qualitative superiority and fanatical German Imperial resistance, the Soviet advances ground to a halt at the Rhine on September 18th. No massive encirclements were made by the Red Army. Locked in a war of attrition, they suffered nearly double the amount of combat casualties from the ferocious stands made by the Imperial Army of Liberation and Dutch/Belgian forces and by wheeling counterattacks by the French, British, and Americans (Hamburg was nearly completely leveled in the fighting). Now Marshal Gromov, facing an exhausted Front and needing to rest and refit his forces, called off offensive operations on September 23rd.

As a result, one week afterward NATO launched a counterattack with American reinforcements and Franco-Spanish troops from the victorious Iberian Front, pushing through to recapture the majority of Wurttemberg and all of Schleswig. All Soviet gains north of the Kiel Canal were wiped out, releving pressure on continental Denmark before the forces halted due to supply concerns – the Siege of Denmark would begin, all NATO personnel in the peninsula cut off from resupply except through a constantly assaulted pipeline by way of southern Norway.

The knew frontline solidifying, both sides geared themselves for a rather harsh autumn and winter, each knowing that the deciding course of the war would hinge on the upcoming Battle of the Rhine.

upload_2018-1-18_10-58-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-17_21-11-33.png
    upload_2018-1-17_21-11-33.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 430
Last edited:
I think he actually sent back a medal from his country when parts of the government started downplaying/denying Hungary’s role in the Holocaust.

Truly shameful. Did not hear about this. Doesn't change my mind, but it just goes to show how low people are willing to go to get those "approval ratings" up. It's a disgrace. Makes me sad for humanity.

Operation Konstantin

“Today, the redemption of the German Volk begins.”

-Gerhard Frey-

Despite the commencement of hostilities over five months before, the Soviet Union viewed the main thrust of the war being into Germany. It was not only military necessary (offering the only flat trajectory to the Atlantic as opposed to the mountainous goings through northern Italy due to the Alps), but also the focal propaganda point of the entire Warsaw Pact. The very casus belli was the “Neo-Hitlerite regime” in Bonn. Fear of Germany and the Germans ingrained in the Russian DNA, it was imperative that the USSR take out the Free Empire in the massive campaign set for May 1989. Marshal Akhromeyev christened it Operation Konstantin, and the Politburo gave it their blessing following the fall of Prague and Vienna.

two-m-60a3-main-battle-tanks-move-along-a-road-during-central-guardian-hejyj2.jpg

It called for a five-prong assault: 1) north into Schleswig-Holstein to capture Hamburg and Denmark, 2) Into Hannover to reach the mouth of the Rhine, 3) the main thrust through the Fulda Gap to the Rhineland with the bulk of the 4 million ground troops allocated for the invasion, 4) an attack from Thuringia into northern Bavaria, and 5) a drive through the Sudetenland to Munich and Baden-Württemberg. This was considered fait accompli among NATO high command. Colin Powell had ordered full defensive measures taken since the Border Battle, on top of the efforts by the Frey Government taken since their election two years before.

Gerhard Frey and his defense team of Defense Minister Helmut Kohl, Chief of the General Staff Hans-Ulrich Rudel, and Supreme Field Commander Jochen Peiper (the latter two neo-Nazis that renounced their views in adopting Freyism) knew that their country would become the supreme battleground. Along with the massive military buildup, both state workers and volunteer labor battalions went to work constructing an intricate wave of defenses from the eastern border to the west. When tensions flared into worldwide mobilization, Frey ordered the evacuation plan, the slow shuffling of German citizens away from the battlefields to safe zones west of the Rhine. When war arrived, NATO was fully prepared to wage defensive war. A taste of it was acquired in the East German assault on West Berlin in February. The German defenders fought hard and fanatically, inflicting over five to one casualties and dragging the battle from a projected two days into three weeks of pitched urban combat.

The operation was precluded with a massive air campaign. Dating back to Khrushchev, the USSR had invested in a massive strategic bombing force – with the various arms reduction treaties kyboshing many nuclear units, the bombers involved were redirected to conventional strikes and would be a common feature in the battles over Europe. While fighters and strike aircraft dueled with NATO forces for control over the German and Italian skies (and largely gaining air supremacy over Norway), the bombers used bases in Kola, northern Norway, and the Ukraine to assault France, the UK, the low countries, and the boot of Italy. What was dubbed the “Second Blitz” would last even through and beyond Konstantin, but the worst of it was largely in the spring of 1989. London, Paris, Rome, Manchester, and Birmingham were hit the hardest owing to their industrial capacity, civilian casualties mounting in the tens of thousands.

Yay! You answered my question about southern Germany!

Finally, on May 2nd, the sheer firepower of the Red Army was unleashed on Germany. Saturating the ground with high explosives and every manner of poison gas, crack Shock units and tank divisions advanced into the meatgrinder. The going was slow in the face of insanely tough NATO resistance, the only quick victories being the capture of Jutland via airborne/heliborne assault and reaching the outskirts of Hamburg all within a few weeks. Slowly but surely, the Summer of Blood would find the Western Front under Boris Gromov advancing through the churned up and poisoned soil. Casualties were astronomical, fanatical Germans using the built-up nature of West Germany in ferocious holding actions in which carpets of corpses had to be expended to take. The going was better nearer to the sea, less well-trained Dutch and Belgian forces forced back to west of Bremen (which fell in June) and to the Rhine itself (August). Russian/East German attempts to cross at Arnhem were repulsed with heavy losses to both sides, though Soviet artillery began shelling Amsterdam.

Chechnya9268.jpg

To the south, the push against Bavaria was far lighter. Nearly 30% Polish/Hungarian in strength, the Warsaw Pact armies were able to use more maneuver tactics in the wider spaces, but still took heavy casualties. Nuremberg fell on the 31st of May, while Munich held out in an intense house to house melee until a tank division essentially destroyed itself to break through the American lines at Freising. By the end of August, the southern prong had reached Baden (Stuttgart torn apart in a stalemated carnage) while the all important center prong had spilled rivers of blood to reach the eastern Rhineland.

While the headlines across North America, Britain, and Asia were apoplectic at the loss of nearly everything east of the Rhine, the situation wasn’t completely dire for NATO. Due to the overall qualitative superiority and fanatical German Imperial resistance, the Soviet advances ground to a halt at the Rhine on September 18th. No massive encirclements were made by the Red Army. Locked in a war of attrition, they suffered nearly double the amount of combat casualties from the ferocious stands made by the Imperial Army of Liberation and Dutch/Belgian forces and by wheeling counterattacks by the French, British, and Americans (Hamburg was nearly completely leveled in the fighting). Now Marshal Gromov, facing an exhausted Front and needing to rest and refit his forces, called off offensive operations on September 23rd.

As a result, one week afterward NATO launched a counterattack with American reinforcements and Franco-Spanish troops from the victorious Iberian Front, pushing through to recapture the majority of Wurttemberg and all of Schleswig. All Soviet gains north of the Kiel Canal were wiped out, releving pressure on continental Denmark before the forces halted due to supply concerns – the Siege of Denmark would begin, all NATO personnel in the peninsula cut off from resupply except through a constantly assaulted pipeline by way of southern Norway.

The knew frontline solidifying, both sides geared themselves for a rather harsh autumn and winter, each knowing that the deciding course of the war would hinge on the upcoming Battle of the Rhine.

This war is keeping me on my toes!