Um...if you looked at a map those fleets would have to travel around the continent to reach Somaliland. They could easily be stopped by the South Africa navy.
I implied that Ethiopia's navy would try to cut off Somaliland, small as it is.
I may have minored too much Tanzania as a conduit, but for Angola, though there is the Benguela railroad, I don't think the road infrastructure connecting it to the still free region of Kasai are much developed, hence my Ho Chi Minh trail analogy.
The Entebbe Pact has funded rail and road connections between its members, so infrastructure is more developed than OTL. But yes, Zaire will likely have to rely on Ho Chi Minh trail type supply lines to the different fronts.

The Entebbe Pact has funded rail and road connections between its members, so infrastructure is more developed than OTL. But yes, Zaire will likely have to rely on Ho Chi Minh trail type supply lines to the different fronts.

If Mobutu, Obama, and Amin can pull this off, they have a good chance of being seen as not just Suharto-types, but heroes in the eyes of both their people and the US.

I am now wondering will this effect the election at all. If the dems and republicans decide to support th capitalists I could see Lahey saying their hypocrites because the capitalists are dictators too

What's the current Ethiopian target in Kenya? Nairobi or Mombasa?
I ask because towns cited, Lodwar and Marsabit make me thinking of the former.
Mombasa on the other side would the logistical/strategic target to cut off Kenya from the sea, and the desert plain ground in the eastern part suit better massive armored trusts. Logistics here could be tricky due to lack of infrastructure, but the textbook of Zhukov's tactics in Mongolia during the 1939 Soviet-Japanese incident would help to remedy (massive use of trucks in logistical purpose), and I don't doubt Soviet advisers would point at this.

Of course, there is the political dumbness on strategic choices that could make Reds going for the more important political target, yet also the toughest to crack on virtue of the mountainous ground which denies invaders the advantage of their superiority in armor. In this view, Mombasa is more an indirect mean of achieving victory through supply constriction (assuming they ignore or minor the importance of Tanzania to bypass blockade).

What's the current Ethiopian target in Kenya? Nairobi or Mombasa?
I ask because towns cited, Lodwar and Marsabit make me thinking of the former.
Mombasa on the other side would the logistical/strategic target to cut off Kenya from the sea, and the desert plain ground in the eastern part suit better massive armored trusts. Logistics here could be tricky due to lack of infrastructure, but the textbook of Zhukov's tactics in Mongolia during the 1939 Soviet-Japanese incident would help to remedy (massive use of trucks in logistical purpose), and I don't doubt Soviet advisers would point at this.

Of course, there is the political dumbness on strategic choices that could make Reds going for the more important political target, yet also the toughest to crack on virtue of the mountainous ground which denies invaders the advantage of their superiority in armor. In this view, Mombasa is more an indirect mean of achieving victory through supply constriction (assuming they ignore or minor the importance of Tanzania to bypass blockade).
Initially, they were initially trying for a mass Blitzkrieg to try and crush their enemy all along the line Barbarossa style. With things stalled, they may try hitting the targets one at a time from now on. Mombassa is a good choice, but with ports in Tanzania basically getting goods to the Entebbe Pact anyway, the strategic importance of taking that one port is lessened.

Can I just say that this has been the most interesting read I have undertaken in quite some time. I made this account with the express intention of commenting here, if only to express some concerns and also give my platitudes.

I must take some issue that by this point of the late 80's the Democratic Party has not truly removed itself as a party of segregationists. I may have to read back, but with voices like Hubert Humphrey and Mike Mansfield I don't see the party just ignoring the fact that segregationists (social conservatives) are still thriving. At the same time, I do not see how African Americans have abandoned the Party of FDR, solely on the basis that Richard Nixon would embrace his relationship with Martin Luther King, Jr. (although I will concede the fact MLK, Sr. was a close friend of Nixon and he was a bit of an anti-Catholic bigot). Working class blacks, a really impoverished group at this time, would still want to see a government that was implementing programs to improve their lives. Republican conservatism and Democrat liberalism could not be reconciled in this area, as a exemplified by the Goldwater-Buckley-Cohn-Reagan Revolution. Folks like James Meredith, an actual conservative, were relative outliers in the Civil Rights Movement. With the developments of the 70's and 80's, I find it next to impossible for black people to even consider voting D or R come the 1988 election.

This is a little late, but what of Bobby Kennedy's tour of the Mississippi River Delta? Fannie Lou Hamer and the MFDP. Where is the talk of the "Welfare Queen" that was indeed apart of Reagan's talk. I just don't see how his (and the whole of the movement's) conservative views are wiped away like that.

Otherwise I find this to be interesting, and look forward to the next update.

I seem to remember that Kennedy regained 37% of the black vote for the Democrats in 1964, but all blacks then voted Republican when George Wallace, a racist, became the Democratic Party nominee ITTL in 1968.

But agreed: IMO the Republicans wouldn't have 90% of the black vote, but rather, 70%. It's hard to see full economic progressives like MLK, Jr. to vote Republican, IMO.

I seem to remember that Kennedy regained 37% of the black vote for the Democrats in 1964, but all blacks then voted Republican when George Wallace, a racist, became the Democratic Party nominee ITTL in 1968.

But agreed: IMO the Republicans wouldn't have 90% of the black vote, but rather, 70%. It's hard to see full economic progressives like MLK, Jr. to vote Republican, IMO.
Following the Return of the Bull Moose and the Proxmire Presidential Campaign, black voting percentages are as follows: 75% GOP, 15% Prog, and 10% D. It also varies by geography - for example, in the South, Blacks are about 90% GOP at worst

Essentially, due to the association of Democrats with anti-civil rights (Wallace, LBJ's gaffe, opposition to Nixon passing Civil Rights laws, etc) allowed the fundamental civil rights doctrine of liberty conservatism - that keeping government small and limited is the way to prevent systematic racial discrimination, because it was instituted by government in the first place - to take hold in the black community. On the issue of economic populism that many blacks support, the 1970s consensus of three massive programs (Amcare, Social Security, and the GMI) has been solidified. No one really wants to eliminate them, which was Reagan's platform, and much of the GOP opposition to Rumsfeld's Social Security privatization came from black congressmen. Reagan moved the GOP focus from cutting programs to cutting government overhead and controlling spending expansion, which gets a lot of support from the black community.

Initially, they were initially trying for a mass Blitzkrieg to try and crush their enemy all along the line Barbarossa style. With things stalled, they may try hitting the targets one at a time from now on. Mombassa is a good choice, but with ports in Tanzania basically getting goods to the Entebbe Pact anyway, the strategic importance of taking that one port is lessened.
That would be taking Tanzania support for granted. In a way, since the coup after the defeat in the Rwandan war, it is more or less a reality, but what I imply is that I would be surprised if the Reds didn't try anything in this, something like another coup from disgruntled elements eager for revenge.

Also, can Zambia rely on the ports of Communist Mozambique for outside supply?

Firefight
October 2, 1988
Inter-German Border
Near Rasdorf, Free Empire of Germany

The cold wind chilled Hans to the bone. The insulated uniform jacket didn't provide much protection, yet he tightened it around him all the same. Oh how he wished that he was posted in a warm barracks somewhere behind the lines rather than doing guard duty at the Inner-German Border, but the 32nd Panzergrenadier battalion had gotten the short straw, and here he was.

8e36d3afb2f37c13e52dafd5ec683c65.jpg

"Why does it have to be so fucking cold?!" snarled one of Hans' fellow privates. "Damn the fucking communists to hell!" In the Free Empire, it wouldn't surprise Hans if the Devil was rated more popular than Kryuchkov or Wolf - at least his authoritarian tyranny was warm. "Where is Siegfried with the coffee?"

"He's here," Siegfried called out, reaching the trenches - newly dug out following Frey's demand of a return to the Wiemar borders. "Freshly brewed, American brand."

"Gott sei dank dafur!" Hans called out taking a cup poured from the thermos. The scalding liquid warmed his insides. American instant coffee wasn't as good as freshly brewed cups from a local Gasthaus, but it tasted like heaven to him at this moment.

Suddenly, whatever contentment the squad had had was rudely ripped away at the piercing sirens on the communist side of the border. "Gott im Himmell? What the fuck is going on?"

The East Germans - evil as they were - took border security very seriously. Mazes of barbed wire, trenches, pillboxes, guard towers, and minefields dotted the Inner-German border. However, these were usually designed to keep their own people in, not to keep Hans and the other soldiers of the Befreiungsreichwehr out. As Gerhard Frey said, "Only those bathed in evil would seek to treat their citizens as caged animals." And now the cluster of soldiers and border guards manning these defenses were scurrying about like ants, searchlights stabbing through the low light of dusk across the landscape.

artcom_mauer4_05.jpg

And the reason was soon apparent. A truck had barreled through the inner-fence, gunning for the West. It was a decrepit civilian model, one that would have been commonly owned by a trucking company... thirty years ago. Someone had crudely painted Freunde on the hood. "Asylum-seekers," someone close to Hans whispered. Ever since Wolf took over, the flow of them had only increased, both the Chancellor and the Kaiser encouraging them to escape to freedom. No one had been this desperate before - desperate, bold, and stupid.

A burst of machine gun fire from one of the towers hit the engine block, causing the truck to slow to a stop. "Fools," another whispered, but the rapt attention turned to horror as the border guards pulled out a cluster of people - three adults, and ten children of various ages.

"What is he doing?"

"Mein Gott!"

There was a long standing order in the East German military, the ones that guarded the border. They would shoot on sight, anyone that entered the border exclusion zone subject to that order. But Children... it meant nothing, a cruel East German - unrecognizable from some Auschwitz guard - raised his pistol and put a bullet in the back of a young girl's skull. He proceeded to the next person, a ten-year old boy.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" No one expected what happened next. Rudi, a young boy recently assigned to the unit, screamed at the top of his lungs and raised his assault rifle. He fired full auto at the East Germans, hitting two from sheer luck before a well-aimed sniper round hit him in the forehead. A kind, innocent boy, killed for defending other innocents.

For Hans and the other Panzergrenadiers, primed since birth to rise to this occasion, the evil witnessed was too much for them to remain silent. To remain passive.

Their commanding officer, a committed Freyist, gave the order. "Feuer Frei!"

A shriek erupted from the West German lines, a fusillade of fire following. "FREIHEIT!"

manav95

Banned
So where exactly is Gerhard Frey and his party line up on the spectrum? Are they basically a massive, catch-all centrist party kind of like En Marche or are they a moderate nationalist party? Since I read they tried to appeal to both left and right, but they also reinstated the German monarchy.

So where exactly is Gerhard Frey and his party line up on the spectrum? Are they basically a massive, catch-all centrist party kind of like En Marche or are they a moderate nationalist party? Since I read they tried to appeal to both left and right, but they also reinstated the German monarchy.
The leadership is center-right populist in nature, but is forming up to be a catch-all Freyist party for the time being.