Looks like the Cold War won't end with a clear-cut Western victory like OTL.

Remains to be seen.

Khrushchev was deposed by conservative Soviets.

If Semichastny is deposed, and replaced with a hardliner, a lot of those gains could be undone, and the Russian citizen would go back to waiting in line for bread.

@Bookmark1995

The pain of the October 5 crash never leaving him, along with the fatigue and emotional anguish his newfound epiphany created, Vladimir Semichastny decided to voluntarily step down as General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in May 1979. Still well respected and beloved by the Soviet people thanks to the increase in economic output (with the expansion of the Soviet Empire, imported raw materials and food from South America, Africa, and Asia were plentiful, quelling dissent despite the moribund performance of Gosplan, the Soviet central planning service), he nevertheless knew that his commitment at Stockholm and the proclamation against further expansion had created rumblings of dissent in the Politburo. Wrangling a commitment to accept him as a “Minister Without Portfolio” on the Standing Committee, Semichastny stepped aside in favor of Chairman of the Council of Ministers Viktor Grishin. The Politburo confirmed him by a landslide over Ideological Council Chairman Konstantin Chernenko.

Semichastny's already stepped down, so it'd be his successor getting tossed out if that happened.

Also I don't think there's been mention of economic reforms so I think the return of bread lines, if they aren't still happening, is inevitable.

@Bookmark1995

Semichastny's already stepped down, so it'd be his successor getting tossed out if that happened.

Also I don't think there's been mention of economic reforms so I think the return of bread lines, if they aren't still happening, is inevitable.
The Soviet Empire being larger has eased some of the economic hardship through increased trade. Grain shortages are mitigated by shipments from Argentina, which helps. But the underlying problems are still there, yes

@Bookmark1995

Sorry, forgot about that part. If those structural problems are still there, then the inevitable geopolitical event is still upon is, even if has been delay by some geopolitical victories.

The future of the USSR will really depend on what they intend to do next. Stopping expansion now is a very good move, even from a pragmatic point of view, as they have already taken a lot of the low hanging fruits. It's time to consolidate. But they have to be careful. A hasty try to democratize or open the economy could cause a coup or a collapse similar to OTL. And as we can see with insight, it created a Russia open to the worst of both systems.

But military detente is good. It improves world stability, but also helps their economy and gives more attention to doing things right internally. If they're careful, we could see a reformation without it collapsing completely. I could see the moderates arguing for a more democratic state, simply because the people are more likely to be on their side.

It would be interesting to see how the USSR would react to a less bellicose communist uprising somewhere else. Have they completely given up on helping potential communists, even when they're opposing regimes the US would have a harder time defending in public? Will their views of "divergent" communist regimes change too?

The future of the USSR will really depend on what they intend to do next. Stopping expansion now is a very good move, even from a pragmatic point of view, as they have already taken a lot of the low hanging fruits. It's time to consolidate. But they have to be careful. A hasty try to democratize or open the economy could cause a coup or a collapse similar to OTL. And as we can see with insight, it created a Russia open to the worst of both systems.

But military detente is good. It improves world stability, but also helps their economy and gives more attention to doing things right internally. If they're careful, we could see a reformation without it collapsing completely. I could see the moderates arguing for a more democratic state, simply because the people are more likely to be on their side.

Thus debunking the "Soviets can't reform in the 1980s" thinking.

So, IIRC, no Nixon to China moment has happened yet, right?

If that's true, how many of the communist revolutionary states nervous about Soviet moderation align with China instead? [To the degree that Maoist thought is still influential in China, this could make a lot of sense].

So, IIRC, no Nixon to China moment has happened yet, right?

If that's true, how many of the communist revolutionary states nervous about Soviet moderation align with China instead? [To the degree that Maoist thought is still influential in China, this could make a lot of sense].
Argentina, Nigeria, and East Germany are currently the most hardline of the Communist governments. China under Jiang Qing is very pragmatic in its foreign policy, and I'm not ruling out some kind of outreach to the PRC

Afghanistan had begun to modernize under Zahir Shah, though so far this was confined to Kabul.

Meh. The countryside was as conservative as ever.