vladimir-yefimovich-semichastny-chairman-of-the-state-security-to-picture-id170982976
You know, in this picture, General-Secretary Semichastny looks kinda like an angry version of Andy Richter...

andy8xse5.jpg

Ah, so basically it's only mandating you learn Afrikaans if you're black.

Effectively, yes

In OTL everyone had to learn Afrikaans, including English-speaking whites. In fact, it was a requirement to receive the school-leaving certificate that you pass English and Afrikaans at the final exams (this also applied to people at Afrikaans-medium schools).

I'm not sure what the difference is in TTL.

In OTL everyone had to learn Afrikaans, including English-speaking whites. In fact, it was a requirement to receive the school-leaving certificate that you pass English and Afrikaans at the final exams (this also applied to people at Afrikaans-medium schools).

I'm not sure what the difference is in TTL.
I'm referring to what the main language is for schooling.

Ah Mississippi. As a Republican, I presume? Sadly he doesn't seem have much of a shot-what do you think?

I assume a Republican as well. He did run in 1964 ITTL against John Stennis as a Republican. I can see Congressman doing a split vote fiasco and Evers being elected with a plurality. We'll have to wait and see.