New "Darkness" Series Map...

Tell me what you think...

Darkness Series.PNG

Thande

Donor
Nice idea.

Yanina was analogous to Italy (and Romania etc) in those books, not Greece. It was just the language and culture that was based on Greece thanks to Turtledove scrambling things. (Like how Sibiu's place names were Romanian but the country itself had the role of Norway/Denmark).

What on earth is this?
I can see Greece,a merged British isles, Iceland and a few other recognisable places but all...mergified and stuff.

Thande

Donor
What on earth is this?
I can see Greece,a merged British isles, Iceland and a few other recognisable places but all...mergified and stuff.

Are you familiar with Turtledove's Darkness series? (Into the Darkness, etc.)

Are you familiar with Turtledove's Darkness series? (Into the Darkness, etc.)

No, not at all.
So...its a mosaic earth type dealy?

Its a rather good map anyway, I like the weird lettering (looks somewhat cyrillic but...not)

Thande

Donor
No, not at all.
So...its a mosaic earth type dealy?
Well...

Basically the series is set in a fictional generic fantasy-type world and it's our WW2, but fought by different nations. Turtledove has deliberately scrambled the languages and cultures so, for example, the 'Germans' are Italian-speaking Irishmen and the 'Jews' look Aryan. Also he uses place names from fairly obscure lands/towns in our world to represent ones in this world, e.g. Cottbus (a small town in Germany OTL) is used to represent Moscow.

He also flips north and south and east and west, so 'Finland' is a baking hot African-type country and 'North Africa' has an Antarctic climate.

I think the idea was to try and present WW2 without the reader having any preconceptions. (And of course to use fantasy things like dragons instead of aeroplanes etc.)

The map in the book is below - what BGman has done here is to try and reconcile that with an OTL map.

http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/darkness.html

Thande

Donor
Ah, the Darkness Verb-ing series...haven't seen many threads about them for a while.

Interesting considering only one of the six books has a title of the form 'Darkness Verb-ing' :p

Into the Darkness
Darkness Descending <-
Through the Darkness
Rulers of the Darkness
Jaws of Darkness
Out of the Darkness

Interesting considering only one of the six books has a title of the form 'Darkness Verb-ing' :p

Into the Darkness
Darkness Descending <-
Through the Darkness
Rulers of the Darkness
Jaws of Darkness
Out of the Darkness

It doesn't matter- the actual nomencalutre of Turtledove's post-1990 work is irrelevant...the point is that it is a general rule that it must be criticised at every opportunity.

Thande

Donor
It doesn't matter- the actual nomencalutre of Turtledove's post-1990 work is irrelevant...the point is that it is a general rule that it must be criticised at every opportunity.
Post-1990? I disagree. Post-2000, maybe. The three first Worldwar books were all written in the mid 90s and they were IMO at least as good as the Videssos cycle.

Your opinion. But then again, since I like Turtledove's works I must be irrelevant too. :rolleyes:

You've posted maps before, haven't you? Quick, make one where pre-modern Japan colonises the East Indies! :D

Which story is that again? Also FYI, I prefer to make maps off of short AH stories where its mostly guess work, or AH short stories that appeal to me.