New "Darkness" Series Map...

Thande

Donor
This broadly shows what countries are represented: not all appear so I've basically divided the ones that don't between the ones that do.

Darkness.GIF

. Also he uses place names from fairly obscure lands/towns in our world to represent ones in this world, e.g. Cottbus (a small town in Germany OTL) is used to represent Moscow.

Bright day
Small it is, German it is not. Oh it is in Germany. But it is Lusatian... :rolleyes:, sometimes just taking names of the map does not work.

Thande

Donor
Bright day
Small it is, German it is not. Oh it is in Germany. But it is Lusatian... :rolleyes:, sometimes just taking names of the map does not work.

All right, if you want to split hairs :rolleyes:

Broadly speaking as far as I could tell the relations are such: Turtledove country name on the left, WW2 country it represents in the middle, country from which the place names are derived on the right:

Algarve - Germany - Italy
Lagoas - Britain - Portugal
Kuusamo - USA - Finland
Sibiu - Norway/Denmark - Romania
Valmiera - France - Lithuania
Jelgava - Low Countries - Lithuania
Forthweg - Poland - Old English place names from England
Gyongyos - Japan - Hungary
Unkerlant - USSR - Germany
Ice People - North Africa - Israel

I am splitting hairs? Hmm
What I meant that I was rolling on my floor laughing my ass off (ROMFLMAO) for fifteen minutes.

I mean if there was Russian cultural analogue with its capital called Kaliningrad, would it not jerk you?

WHAT?

The Lausitz (Lusatia) IS indisputably German, I dont see your point!

Lusatia is German, but Lusatians ain't. There are towns in Czechia with German names, but if I did such a switcheroo in writing would it not be silly for me to have this "czechish" nation with capital Sternberg?

EDIT: And it is not about Sorbs. If it was Trier I would find it equally silly.

Last edited:

Thande

Donor
I mean if there was Russian cultural analogue with its capital called Kaliningrad, would it not jerk you?
Isn't there a real Kaliningrad in Russia as well that the new name for Koenisberg was taken from, though?

I kind of see where you're coming from, but those distinctions you mention aren't well known in the English-speaking world (or at least, not to me :p )

Lusatia is German, but Lusatians ain't. There are towns in Czechia with German names, but if I did such a switcheroo in writing would it not be silly for me to have this "czechish" nation with capital Sternberg?

EDIT: And it is not about Sorbs. If it was Trier I would find it equally silly.

Cottbus is in a region of Lusatia that has been under the control of one German prince or another for well over six-hundred years and Germans have lived in it for over nine-hundred years. It's as German as well, the German-analogues to apple pie and motherhood.

Cottbus is in a region of Lusatia that has been under the control of one German prince or another for well over six-hundred years and Germans have lived in it for over nine-hundred years. It's as German as well, the German-analogues to apple pie and motherhood.

Funny thing, we only acquired it in 1368 and hold it for almost hundred years, so Lower Lusation for 500 and Upper for 400 years...

And as I said I would think same of Trier which started out as a Roman city.

Thande said:
I kind of see where you're coming from, but those distinctions you mention aren't well known in the English-speaking world (or at least, not to me )
Yes, but you are not putting Chóśebuz into your story are you?

Broadly speaking as far as I could tell the relations are such: Turtledove country name on the left, WW2 country it represents in the middle, country from which the place names are derived on the right:

Algarve - Germany - Italy
Lagoas - Britain - Portugal
Kuusamo - USA - Finland
Sibiu - Norway/Denmark - Romania
Valmiera - France - Lithuania
Jelgava - Low Countries - Lithuania
Forthweg - Poland - Old English place names from England
Gyongyos - Japan - Hungary
Unkerlant - USSR - Germany
Ice People - North Africa - Israel
Hmm... Actually, from what I understand, Valmiera and Jelgava are "modern" Kaunians, i.e., Latvians, while the Kaunians living in Forthweg and Algarve are the Kaunian diaspora that speak "classical" Kaunian, i.e., Lithuanians. This makes sense, since in OTL, Lithuanian is considered to be the oldest living Indo-European language, while Latvian is a newer variant.

At any rate, I was rather mystified by Jelgava... is it simply meant to be a second France? It's separated from Algarve by a chain of mountains, and was colonized by the Kaunians (Latin/Romans), which suggests Spain, but Spain doesn't border Germany and stayed neutral. (That explains the weird thing I did on the map with Spain for Jelgava.)

Overall, it appears that the Kaunians double as ancient Romans (Jelgava/Valmiera) and as Jews (in Forthweg and Algarve). I suppose Turtledove's comparison would be more exact if during WW2 there was a large Romanian diaspora living in Poland (instead of Jews) that got picked on by the Nazis.

Another aside... Ortah may actually be better represented by Albania than Switzerland.

Susano

Banned
Funny thing, we only acquired it in 1368 and hold it for almost hundred years, so Lower Lusation for 500 and Upper for 400 years...

And as I said I would think same of Trier which started out as a Roman city.

Yes, but you are not putting Chóśebuz into your story are you?
No, you didnt. Bohemia did, maybe, but that was part of the German Kingdom and Holy Roman Empire of German Nation, so AMs argument stands.

And the international name for the city is Cottbus, and this board here is NOT czech-speaking!

No, you didnt. Bohemia did, maybe, but that was part of the German Kingdom and Holy Roman Empire of German Nation, so AMs argument stands.

And the international name for the city is Cottbus, and this board here is NOT czech-speaking!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why the hate for Sorbs?

Chóśebuz is not czech name, it is Sorb name... see here

And Milan was such a beautiful German city...

Did I said that we should conquer Lusatia on evil Germans? I was bit unclear- but I think I cleared my position with Kaliningrad example- that it is not current population, but history of the city- and if you take Chóśebuz or Augusta Treviora you take parts of these histories with you.

Thande

Donor
Hmm... Actually, from what I understand, Valmiera and Jelgava are "modern" Kaunians, i.e., Latvians, while the Kaunians living in Forthweg and Algarve are the Kaunian diaspora that speak "classical" Kaunian, i.e., Lithuanians. This makes sense, since in OTL, Lithuanian is considered to be the oldest living Indo-European language, while Latvian is a newer variant.
You're probably right, I'm not up to noticing that distinction.

BGMan said:
At any rate, I was rather mystified by Jelgava... is it simply meant to be a second France? It's separated from Algarve by a chain of mountains, and was colonized by the Kaunians (Latin/Romans), which suggests Spain, but Spain doesn't border Germany and stayed neutral. (That explains the weird thing I did on the map with Spain for Jelgava.)
I think the best analogy is the Low Countries, although as you say there's a suggestion of Spain as well. Of course the Allies invaded via Jelgava in Darkness, but then Turtledove made quite a few changes from OTL WW2 (e.g. "Britain" only joins the war AFTER "France" has fallen) so that's not really necessarily an indication of anything.
Also note that the prewar Jelgavan king is supposed to be a nasty dictatorial type.

BGMan said:
Overall, it appears that the Kaunians double as ancient Romans (Jelgava/Valmiera) and as Jews (in Forthweg and Algarve). I suppose Turtledove's comparison would be more exact if during WW2 there was a large Romanian diaspora living in Poland (instead of Jews) that got picked on by the Nazis.
That seems correct.

BGMan said:
Another aside... Ortah may actually be better represented by Albania than Switzerland.
Albania?? In that case Ortah would have been a colony of Yanina, which it wasn't.
I don't think there's any really good analogy to Ortah; Turtledove probably just stuck it in because of the constraints of the storyline. I used Switzerland because, like Ortah, it is everyone's idea of a neutral country.