Napoleon's running sore in the Alps- Tyrol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Hofer

Andreas Hofer was a Tyrolese patriot who strongly resented Napoelonic and Bavarian control over his native homeland, and during 1809-10 conducted a successful guerilla war against the occupiers until betrayed, captured and executed in Feb 1810.

Could Hofer's rebellion perhaps have been on a larger scale, to equate at all with the Spanish GUERILLEROs' and Portuguese ORDENANZA's campaign against French forces in the Peninsular War ? Could the British and/or Russians and/or Prussians have tried to covertly provide arms and advisors to Hofer's movement as the British did for the Spanish and Portuguese irregulars ? Anybody care to speculate on an Alpine version of another 'running sore' to Napoleon ? Could there even have been enough nationalistic feelings for an independent Tyrol thru Hofer's efforts ?

Faeelin

Banned
Why would Tyrol become independent? They were fighting because they wanted to be part of Austria again.

I can't see him being more successful than he was; Spain was a problem because it was large and the British could intervene; something which is hardly feasible in Tyrol.

Why would Tyrol become independent? They were fighting because they wanted to be part of Austria again.
I can't see him being more successful than he was; Spain was a problem because it was large and the British could intervene; something which is hardly feasible in Tyrol.

An interesting (and very old - 1868!) book on this subject is "Andreas Hofer" by Louisa Muhlbach. You can find a free copy at http://books.google.com/books?id=-zBSUAP5sqYC&pg=PA199&lpg=PA199&dq=Eliza+Wallner&source=bl&ots=uR-Dg6L9vS&sig=oAhAQWcak4dIrg8Ddag6PnFZ9TE&hl=en&ei=fKFRTuL9LIGdgQfdnfDtBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
In the first chapters, the author seems to blame Kasier Franz I (former Holy Roman Emperor) as not wanting war because of a jealous rivalry with his brothers, Archdukes John and Karl, who were military leaders.
Maybe if he "dies" before becoming the Kaiser and Karl supercedes him, more thought is given to fighting the Baverians and their French allies to make this conflict work.

What defines "successful" in a guerrilla war? Is survival all that matters, because he didn't last until the end.

What what were his accomplishments? What armies did he defeat, what rule or control was ended? I think we need to know exactly what he accomplished, and what limited or propelled his accomplishments?