Names for Southern superheroes

katchen

Banned
Seamus Dubh Mac Morrigu (or some other more appropriate Celtic name).
A Ku Klux Klan Klavern gets a bit more serious about it's ritual than it intended and the Wizard opens up a portal to Faerie and Seamus Dubh, a badass unseelie sidh comes out and does the Klavern favors, which of course, binds them to him. He becomes a very dark Confederate superhero with his magical Sidh elf powers and glamours, able, amongst other things, to call out the Wild Hunt and throw leven-bolts and fire off poisonous elf-shot. It's the South getting back to it's oldest Scots-Irish roots Maybe he takes the moniker Elf-man. . :D

Florida Man.

images

Incognito

Banned
Lots of generic Superhero names (e.g. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Mr. Fantastic, etc.) would work for any nationality. They don't have to directly reference the South, even if they are published by a dystopian fascist Confederacy.
What I was going to say.

That being said, would CSA superhero (or at least on of them) be a a super-cowboy like the Lone Ranger or something? That is how I (a non-American) would imagine it.

What I was going to say.

That being said, would CSA superhero (or at least on of them) be a a super-cowboy like the Lone Ranger or something? That is how I (a non-American) would imagine it.

It really depends what part of the South you're talking about. Texas is really the only ex-Confederate area where cowboys are a major aspect of local culture, and both Texas and the rest of the South view each other as significantly different. To take one small example with major cultural significance, the type of meat used in barbecue is different; the Carolinas and Memphis (along with most of the rest of the South) associate barbecue specifically with pork, whereas Texas uses beef.

OTL, the 1860's Confederacy was (obviously) more planter-class dominated, with the population concentrated in the East and Upper South. Texas was comparatively insignificant, as was Florida (today the two most populous states in the former Confederacy). How the demographics change would probably affect the degree to which Texan culture dominates, or whether it becomes another regional flavor within the broader Confederate culture. And note that there would be less of an experience of westward expansion, as the Confederacy would presumably be contained within its original boundaries, so cowboys might be less of a part of the general cultural mix in general.

You could end up with a Texas Lone Ranger-esque hero, but you could also end up with a Batman or Superman-esque character roaming the streets of Richmond or New Orleans, fighting crime in the city. The latter would be more likely if the East remains the center of gravity.

Depending on developments, the traditional background could be rich planter's son using his inherited fortune to fight crime (a la Bruce Wayne or Tony Stark), or a humble farmboy upholding traditional values (a la Clark Kent). Swamps (of which the South had, and to some extend still has, plenty) could be settings for spookier atmospheres.

Since several people have mentioned the KKK, I should point out that it's a post-Civil War phenomenon, so it wouldn't exist (lynchings, etc. obviously still would).

Rogue galleries would be interesting (if somewhat frightening) to imagine. Like OTL, they'd probably be shaped by the cultural and political fears of the era, so you could imagine sinister Yankee agitators, Communist infiltrators, slave rebels (I'm now imagining a voodoo-zombified Nat Turner) later evolving into black militants (a Black Panther-esque character would definitely be a villain in Confederate comics). If the CSA involved itself in global politics, you could imagine whatever its enemies were showing up as well (Czarist spies, anyone?).

i could see a Storm Saxon-type character showing up as well as a more "realistic" superhero, more like Flash Gordon, i guess. for those who don't know, Storm Saxon is a background fictional character in V for Vendetta and is very much the kind of thing you'd expect to see in a white supremacist state like your typical AH Confederacy

White Lightning?
twins, Moonshine and White Lightning (c.f. Northstar & Aurora)

That said, how about superheroes focused on specific states? Assuming a Confederacy where states have strong identities, local comic book industries might try to tout local heroes, or national groups might try to have multi-state teams to promote their vision of "diversity."
So:

The Horned Toad
The Tar Heel
Old Man River
The Mountaineer

etc.
Agreed.
And/or maybe just Captain Virginia, Captain North Carolina, Captain South Carolina, Captain Georgia, etc...

Last edited:
if i were gonna make a team of Captain America expys for each state, i'd definitely be going for more unique names than just "Captain Virginia", etc.; for example:

Yellowhammer (Alabama, with a big woodpecker theme going for him)
Diamond Man (Arkansas)
Captain Sunshine (Florida; :p;):D)
Emperial (Georgia)
Rip Van Winkle (North Carolina)
Captain Confederacy (South Carolina, obligatory leader)
The Volunteer (Tennessee)
Lonestar (Texas)
(couldn't really come up with one for Louisiana or Mississippi)

in the context of a TL, i could also see "new recruits" joining the Confederate *Justice League with each new addition to the CSA and perhaps even adding a bit of ethnic diversity depending on how the country evolves. for example, a Cuban hero may be a historically recent addition in TL-191. if there's no actual additions outside of ethnic whites, it would probably be more diverse by European standards: most would probably be English or German, but there could be additions/revisions in the direction of the various Mediterranean nations, perhaps a Slav or two, and additions based on their allies (for TL-191, a Canadian hero probably wouldnt be out of place)

Last edited:
Lots of generic Superhero names (e.g. Superman, Batman, Spiderman, Mr. Fantastic, etc.) would work for any nationality. They don't have to directly reference the South, even if they are published by a dystopian fascist Confederacy.

That said, how about superheroes focused on specific states? Assuming a Confederacy where states have strong identities, local comic book industries might try to tout local heroes, or national groups might try to have multi-state teams to promote their vision of "diversity."
So:

The Horned Toad
The Tar Heel
Old Man River
The Mountaineer

etc.

I can really see Bruce Wayne/Batman as a old planter class, no...

No, Wayne Industries still works, going back to the early slave labor based industrialization days.

If part or all of Oklahoma is in the CSA, you could have the Oklahoma Kid. Speaking of Oklahoma, don't forget Native heroes can originate in the southern states.

The Swamp Fox
Swamp Thing and/or Beast

With Savannah, Charlestown, and New Orleans in the CSA, there is plenty of space for occult and supernatural heroes. Ooh, The Raven. "Nevermore, villain!"

I think Captain America will work just as well in the CSA. There may even be two Captain Americas, one each for the CSA and USA. Captain Confederacy seems to long a name for superheroes in general. If there is a Captain Confederacy comic, I can imagine a long-running joke about him being called Captain C by everyone. Captain C is still yelling out his name and everybody else is fighting.

Depending on what kind of CSA this is, there could be black superheroes.

If part or all of Oklahoma is in the CSA, you could have the Oklahoma Kid. Speaking of Oklahoma, don't forget Native heroes can originate in the southern states.

The Swamp Fox
Swamp Thing and/or Beast

With Savannah, Charlestown, and New Orleans in the CSA, there is plenty of space for occult and supernatural heroes. Ooh, The Raven. "Nevermore, villain!"

I think Captain America will work just as well in the CSA. There may even be two Captain Americas, one each for the CSA and USA. Captain Confederacy seems to long a name for superheroes in general. If there is a Captain Confederacy comic, I can imagine a long-running joke about him being called Captain C by everyone. Captain C is still yelling out his name and everybody else is fighting.

Depending on what kind of CSA this is, there could be black superheroes.

i'd imagine that black CSA superheroes would play to the whole "noble savage" thing and ultimately be more in support roles to white and even Amerindian/Latino heroes, at least until a civil rights movement takes place, unless a particular writer/artist is more progressive. i imagine it would be a HUGE twist in a Confederate comic for the "centerpiece" heroes to be beaten by their greatest opponent (probably a Union-based villain) and then their token-black hero notices a weakness that none of the rest of them did and he defeats the villain almost single-handedly

as for Captain Confederacy, a thought occurs to me: what if both the Union and the Confederacy have a Captain America (since they each see themselves as the legitimate American state) and they both respectively call their respective one "Captain America". then a crossover between the two comes along (perhaps in the event of the US and CS allying against a greater geopolitical opponent to the effect of a Red Scare or Yellow Peril phenomenon) and they're identified as Captain Union and Captain Confederacy, respectively; they could even be given civilian personas/pseudonyms to the effect of Sam Stripe and John Bar (as in Uncle Sam/Johnny Reb and Stars & Stripes/Stars & Bars)

also, i don't think TL-191's Hyperman has been mentioned yet

Thank you, everybody for your input, and I think I've got the names I need. What I had in mind is a different take on the superhero genre as a whole. I don't know how many of you read comic books, but those of you who do have probably noticed that most are set in places that are a lot like New York City. I wanted to get away from that and decided to set my titles (in OTL sort of) in the south. One thing I had in mind was to have my heroes deal with a government sponsored superhero team, so I decided to give them names derived from the south to emphasize that. Once more my thanks.