MotF 243: The City That Never Was

MotF 243: The City That Never Was

The Challenge

Make a map showing an alternate city - either one that was never built in our world, or a different version of an existing city.

The Restrictions

There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
---
Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Monday, September 27, 2021 (extended by a week).
---
PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES TO THE MAIN THREAD.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread, you will be asked to delete the post.

Don't forget to vote on MotF 242!

Last edited:
DSC_1033 2.JPG

Come celebrate Boltsholm Day at the original Boltsholm!

arUVMr7.png

May 15 is a very momentous day for Boltsholm History, being that in which the expedition of William Bolts, chartered by King Gustav III of Sweden, first landed on the island of Boltsholm, off the western shore of the mainland, in 1788, having been tasked with the mission of establishing a trading colony in the region. From those humble beginnings, Boltsholm grew into the nation we know of today, covering the entire continent and thriving with a strong Scandinavian culture mixed with many thriving immigrant communities and, of course, the Aboriginal inhabitants of the land.

To celebrate the occasion, every year on May 15, Boltholmians gather in the small island that gave name to their country and celebrate with picnics, concerts and firework shows. The island, conveniently accessible by ferry from Svanhamn, the capital and largest city of the country, is also a favorite spot for vacations or just weekend getaways, providing many opportunities for going to the beach, snorkeling, bike paths and whale-sightings. The Boltsholm Museum also hosts a permanent exhibition narrating the early years of settlement, both in the island and in the mainland, telling the intrepid history of the early settlers of Boltsholm.

The first Boltsholm Day was celebrated in 1818, as Foundation Day, to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the landing of William Bolts, who had also died precisely 10 years earlier, after serving as Governor of the colony for 20 years, a remarkable tenure for the Father (and namesake) of Boltsholm. Of course, the public opinion on the man has changed lately, with the reappraisals of his role in the massacres of indigenous tribes in the mainland, but the celebrations and his legacy continue to loom large all over the country.

Boltsholm would cease to be the capital of the colony on May 15 1826, with a formal ceremony transferring the seat of government to Svanhamn, where it remains since, due to the lack of space provided by the island and the difficulty in providing water and food for the ever larger needs of the administrative center of the ever-growing colony. Despite this, Boltsholm has remained steadfast, flourishing as a hub of tourism, in particular during the May 15 celebrations, where thousands converge on to the island to celebrate in the marvelous spectacles it provides.

This is actually part of a larger project I am brewing and which I might publish later on as its own thing. But it seemed like a good way to publish its first map and see what people thought.

So, Boltsholm Island is OTL Rottnest Island, Svanhamn is OTL Perth and Boltsholm as a country is Australia. This is Swedish Australia! Or, more precisely, Swedish-Norwegian Australia with a good number of Danish, Finnish and Icelandic settlers too. I won't spoil the project too much, but essentially it's inspired in the planned colony Gustav III chartered, but that was never fulfilled due to war with Russia. I find it an interesting idea, a Scandinavian Australia, and I'm still mapping out the politics and everything (I think people will like what I have planned there), but it's still far along. Consider this a teaser for something that may never be fully completed.

Oh and my apologies to any Swedish speakers if I butchered your language in any place.