MotF 205: You Pan Handle It

MotF 205: You Pan Handle It

The Challenge
Make a map showing an ATL country, province, state, or other region with a noticeable panhandle.​

The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.
If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
---

Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Monday, October 14th, 2019.

---​
PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES TO THE MAIN THREAD.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post.

RDgdnAs.png

Deleted member 108228

Sample of the 25th Anniversary Speech by Director Almaq

“...Esteemed citizens of Turan and dear friends, I am addressing you today in particular because today I wish to highlight you as a people.”

“Twenty-five years ago the lands that made up Turan were either part of the Turkish Empire, or a periphery of Russia. The Tsars sought to suppress our people and destroy our culture. They wanted us to eternally be their puppets and stooges. But that is evidently no longer the case. Today from Istanbul to distant Zaysan we have ourselves a united nation, proud and powerful. We are no longer foreign Russia’s slaves, nor a distant appendage of the Turkish Empire. Indeed the latter is now part of our great nation! The West laughed at our efforts, and today, we laugh back at them, because we are free!"

"In order to maintain that freedom we must work to safeguard what has been achieved. We must work to ensure that our leaders, including myself, work in Turan’s interest, defend Turanic citizens in and outside our country, and serve our society. This is my position, convinced and firm. We want Turan to be a prosperous, rich, and civilized society. Here in Ötüken, our sacred mountain, I implore you not to forget anything. We must know our history in order to keep Turan how we want it- a great, powerful, and mighty state. As for the West, that decadent West, the land of deception, debauchery, and corruption! The land of impurity, where they sully their unity, making themselves weaker in process, and they praise it! They praise sin as if it was virtue! They are the enemy of all the Turanic people, full of deception, debauchery, and corruption, who think they can dictate terms to us like we are some tribal confederacy at the edges of the world….well, I say, let them! If you threaten us, then we will show you the power of unity, of camaraderie, of power! We shall remind the world once more, that Turan is not to be trifled with. Now now, not ever!...”

M3YAOah.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Map of the Dominion of Rhodesia in 1956

RGRfgb6.jpg

There it is. I didn't have the inspiration to write a description this time, here's a quick writeup:

-North West Rhodesia is merged with South Rhodesia instead of Barotseland in the late 1890s

-Portugal goes bankrupt in the early 1900s and seeks a loan from the British, triggering the first Anglo-German partition plan of the portuguese colonies

-Southern Mozambique is divided between Southern Rhodesia and South Africa, while "Central Angola" is later merged with Rhodesia.

-Following WW1, German South West Africa-Angola is put under a joint South African-British occupation, then becomes a LoN protectorate under south african rule as IRL, Portugal is offered back Northern Mozambique and Angola in compensation for entering the war against the central powers in 1917, these would become Portuguese Mozambique and Portuguese Zaire on the map. the British Central Africa is formed from North-Eastern Rhodesia and Nyasaland in the late 40s

-The larger size of Rhodesia along with the presence of two large ports and the copperbelt mines (once discovered) massively change the settler dynamics of Rhodesia, there is a larger need for skilled working class whites to work in Mines, ports and oversee plantations in the new lowland of Mozambique and Angola. Rhodesia has less of a "upper class anglo" character, and has less strict immigration requirement, a few hundred of thousands of additional whites migrate there during the 1930s to 1950s, including many British who would have gone to South Africa IRL, along with jews, germans, czech.

-In cities, compared to IRL, the lower income requirement for tax and voting allow somewhat more black african to vote, instead of hundreds of Africans who can vote as IRL in the 50s (that would only become a few thousands by the 70s), over a dozen thousand can already vote, creating an actual, small, black middle class, life for the majority of Urban native african isn't much better than IRL however, if anything, the larger number of working class whites means that there are less jobs for them, and more are in deep poverty.

-Land appointment is not significiantly different than IRL, Rural native african still have to either work in white ownedfarms, or get the worse land available, compared to IRL, rural africans in Central Mozambique and Central Angola is somewhat better as they have higher pay and slightly better legal protection than under a portuguese colonial government, this is counterbalanced by the fact that Rural areas are more exploited than IRL (particularly in eastern angola), and as a result many Native African who would have stayed in a traditional structure IRL are forced to take on wage work and become part in the capitalistic economy. The "elongated" shape of the country also has the unfortunate result that many Native African have to travel hundreds, or even thousands of kilometers to reach the economically dynamic areas in the copperbelt for exemple, separating them even more from their Traditional society.

-Rhodesia was officialy made a Dominion in 1956, the same year as South Africa leaves the Commonwealth ITTL.

JBuiR0e.png
Map of North America, 2019.
Supposedly this was focused on North Carolina's very fun extension to the Mississippi, but in the process I've managed to build a few more panhandles throughout the map, most notably Florida's ever larger one, and the ones in Kansas and Nebraska.

Well, this is my first time posting a map here, or taking part in a competition, so do forgive me if I do something wrong! I'll try to fix it.

The map would start in 1787 when, for some, probably petty whim, the legislature of South Carolina decides not to cede its western territories to the new United States federal government. Possibly out of spite, the remaining Southern States decide against ceding their lands as well, leading to Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia remaining the large, Mississippi-to-Atlantic States they once were. This works out rather decently for them, with the exception of Virginia, which has to deal with a Kentucky Revolution led by James Wilkinson, which ends up being yet another national issue that plays out to a general distrust by the seaboarders of their western brethren.

This crisis, however, is only the first of many in the United States that, with the Southern representation reduced due to the inexistence of the States between the Atlantic and the Mississippi, the Northern states gain an advantage on the Senate, changing the political alliances from a strict North vs South to a New England&South vs Middle Atlantic, with the former allying in their opposition to the protectionist tariffs the Middle States attempt to pass to support national industries. These disputes lead to various crisis throughout the early 19th century, in particular the analog to the Nullification Crisis, in which South Carolina plays a predominant role, fighting and expelling from the State federal forces sent to enforce its tariffs, being joined by its Southern neighbours and the New England States, effectively ending federal rule in all but name everywhere that isn't the Middle Atlantic, at least for a generation. Other disputes, such as the Toledo War, which goes much hotter, and a Virginian Civil War over slavery, end up weakening severely the power of the federal government.

It should also be said that the South in general is much less populated than IOTL, due to less investment and competence in admnistring the western regions (particularly in Georgia, where scandals send away many prospective settles from the Yazoo region. This has a positive impact on the Native American tribes of the region, but overall this means a more fractured, weaker USA, less capable of facing its neighbours. Without plantation expansion to the Mississippi, there's no drive to settle or annex Texas, which remains a thoroughly Mexican territory. This also means less incentive for slavery which, being less marked in the general economy, is mostly dismissed in the North until much more recently, being slowly erradicated (often without even changing the laws) by the middle of the 20th century, mostly with the slow work of Christian organisations.

The diminute strength of the American federal government also led to the formation of the Republic of Columbia, in the Pacific shore, out of a compromise between the inhabitants, the British government and the American government. For almost a century (1846-1925) there was a formal Triumvirate in charge of the executive, with an elected President, but also the British monarch and the American President, but the power of the latter two was a mere formality that was erradicated whenever convenient.

Nowadays, the federal structure of the United States is still a very fragile and looked-over creature. Although the ambassadors of foreign countries are still in Washington DC, it is well-known the consuls in the State capitals are the true diplomatic forces. It is often jested that, in each State, the people chosen to be Representatives and Senators in the Federal Congress are, more often than not, those sent there because they were too annoying to be tolerable to the party.

I hope this was a good-enough writeup. I think there are a few details that I'm missing, but honestly I'm mostly filling the blanks. Hopefully, I also did everything right for the challenge, and this sure was a fun map to make.

EDIT: Thanks to @Analytical Engine for notifying me that the original map link had died. I simply reuploaded the map for future consult

Last edited: