Mississippi: The Seventh Cradle of Civilization

Introduction
Introduction
Hello everyone and welcome to my first timeline! This has been an idea I've had for quite sometime - as can be attested by the sorts of topics I've contributed to in my time on the site. I've finally gotten around to getting ideas to the page and have something I think is worth sharing.

If it's not obvious, this is an agricultural timeline focused on alternate domestications. I intend to focus a great deal on cultural topics and their developments for the civilizations in the Americas, and so certain topics like warfare are probably going to be covered in less detail than you might see in others. There are of course already several excellent timelines from the likes of @twovultures, @Arkenfolm, and @JSilvy that cover similar material to what I intend to, but I think I have something unique to offer as well, and I have a few ideas for topics less traditionally covered in other timelines. As far as style, this will probably be following an encyclopedic or textbook style for the most part. There might be some narrative segments or journal style entries here and there, but don't expect too much of them. I hope that's something at least some of you will enjoy!

The Rise of Sedentism and the First Domestications in the Mississippi
Chapter 1: The Rise of Sedentism and the First Domestications in the Mississippi
The Neolithic period in North America is conventionally considered to have begun at the end of the last glacial period with warming temperatures - approximately 12,000 BP (~10,000 BCE). Across the continent, nomadic big game hunters were the norm [1], but perhaps owing to overhunting, the changing climate, or some combination of both, megafauna populations were starting to decline. The decline of the megafauna would cause changes throughout the continent, and in one particular location - the Lower Mississippi - it would lead to a profound change in the way of life for its inhabitants, the effects of which would sweep across the whole continent to come.

The fertile floodplains of the Mississippi River became populated rather quickly after glaciers receded, so much so that the big game hunters caused a localized megafauna extinction a few hundred years before their extinction in other parts of the continent [2]. This local extinction along the Mississippi would cause a large change in the way of life for its inhabitants. While certainly some of the nomadic groups continued to follow the remaining big game migrations out of the basin, the fertile floodplain still held an abundance of grains, seeds, fruits, and nuts to be gathered, a large numbers of birds and smaller mammals for hunting, and a plethora of aquatic life. This abundance of food seems to have encouraged some groups to remain in the valley, where they gradually developed sedentary communities. Still hunter-gatherers, these sedentary groups appear to have reduced their dependence on hunting, relying more on gathered plants, fish, and shellfish.

One consequence of the early Mississippian sedentism was a larger concentration of refuse and cached food, which attracted several animals into closer proximity to these settlements. Platygonus compressus - the New World Pig [3] - was one of these animals attracted by human refuse and middens. By consuming the refuse and other waste, it would gradually develop a commensal (and sometimes prey-like) relationship with the early Mississippians that would eventually lead to full domestication. Less positive was the attraction of rodents and other pests that would raid food caches and spread fleas, but these rodents would in turn attract Grey Foxes who, like the New World Pig, would develop a commensal relationship with the Mississippians by feasting on the readily available rodents. The commensal relationships would over time cause the two species to develop something resembling their domesticated forms between 10,000 and 9,000 BP (8-7,000 BCE).

Around the same time as the New World Pig domestication was complete, the first plant domestications were beginning. The Early Mississippians had long been harvesting seeds from plants in the floodplain and other disturbed sites, and around 9,000 BP they appear to have begun intentionally cultivating them in artificial fields managed through burning. These initial founder crops [4] consisted of the summer annual pseudo-cereals Goosefoot (Chenopodium berlandieri) and Erect Knotweed (Polygonum erectum), the summer annual oilseeds Sunflower (Helianthus annuus), the winter annual cereal Little Barley (Hordeum pusillum), the Squash (Cucurbita spp.), and the near universally domesticated Bottle Gourd (Lagenaria siceraria) [5]. By 8,000 BP these species can be said to have become properly domesticated. They would be joined around this time by two additional plants: the Thicket Bean (Phaseolus polystachios) and Blue Flax (Linum lewisii) [6]. These eight crops would serve as the foundation of Mississippian Civilization.
  1. What we would call in OTL the Clovis Culture.
  2. The PoD. Megafaunal migration patterns are just slightly different in this timeline, resulting in overhunting in the Lower Mississippi, which in turn causes the collapse of much of the megafauna population there.
  3. In OTL, the extinct Flathead Peccary. As a Peccary, they are of course not actually pigs, even if they are the closest living relatives. This fact from modern genetics is entirely irrelevant to its naming centuries before the development of that field, of course. It likely existed in a very similar to niche to the Eurasian Boar, and owing to its similar size, appearance, and behavior, the names for the two in most TTL languages are the same. This trend of the same names is relatively common TTL for Old-New World domestic pairs.
  4. This is more or less the OTL Eastern Agricultural Complex, just earlier. There are two omissions from the OTL EAC though. Neither Maygrass or Sumpweed are present among the Mississippian founder crops. In the case of Maygrass, it competes poorly with weeds (for this reason it was likely grown in a co-culture with Little Barley, where it grows much better) and also has a low germination rate - making it a poor plant on its own (it is also one of the only EAC plants to not show any signs of domestication). Interestingly though, it does have the potential to flower a second time in the fall, creating a second harvest (Mueller, N). For that reason it might become prevalent later on in TTL, but we'll see. Sumpweed meanwhile has its own problems, the biggest of which is that is noxious and causes rashes, it also possesses an unpleasant smell, and requires moist soil to germinate (making it less useful for upland planting). Sunflower produces oilseeds just as well, doesn't have the same noxious qualities, and is much more flexible in its habitat.
  5. The Bottle Gourd, otherwise known as the Calabash, is a fascinating plant. It is unique in that it was domesticated several times throughout the world (in East Asia, Africa, and in multiple locations in North and South America). It's native to Africa and Asia, but managed to float across the Atlantic and establish itself in the Circum-Caribbean (Kistler, L. et al.) where it was domesticated multiple times.
  6. A relative of Common Flax, Blue Flax was used OTL as an oilseed and fiber crop, much like Common Flax in the old world. It's another summer annual and serves the dual purpose of an oilseed and fiber crop for the Early Mississippians.
References:
Mueller, N. G., White, A. & Szilagyi, P. Experimental Cultivation of Eastern North America’s Lost Crops: Insights into Agricultural Practice and Yield Potential. etbi 39, 549–566 (2019).

Kistler, L. et al. Transoceanic drift and the domestication of African bottle gourds in the Americas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 111, 2937–2941 (2014).

Last edited:
I've always thought the Mississippi could've been an ideal place for a cradle of civilization to develop, since it's a massive river system - it just had shit luck, due to a relative lack of domestic species in comparison with Eurasia and the Nile, and due to its geographic isolation. Something not unlike Cahokia could've emerged millennia earlier, if the region had been dealt a better hand.

I've always thought the Mississippi could've been an ideal place for a cradle of civilization to develop, since it's a massive river system - it just had shit luck, due to a relative lack of domestic species in comparison with Eurasia and the Nile, and due to its geographic isolation. Something not unlike Cahokia could've emerged millennia earlier, if the region had been dealt a better hand.
I mean, the shifting and unpredictable flooding of the river does make it kinda difficult when starting out. I imagine that many settlements will rise and fall with the changing course of the river

Ooh this seems interesting I do like my alt domesticates. Would there be other animal domesticates? I could see bison at least be domesticated, and maybe elk for a ridable animal. I also see some rabbit/hare species being domesticated for their meat and fur kinda taking the chicken niche.

On other plant domesticates wild rice may make sense, and a plethora of fruits (a bunch of berries, cherries, pawpaws, crabapples, persimmon, hawthorn, American plum, etc.) would make for a good spread of fruits from the lower reaches of the river, but idk what vegetables and spices would they use.

I don't want to come across as rude but I have a few criticisms here. Know that I mean for them to be constructive.

One consequence of the early Mississippian sedentarism was a larger concentration of refuse and cached food, which attracted several animals into closer proximity to these settlements. Platygonus compressus - the New World Pig [3] - was one of these animals attracted by human refuse and middens. By consuming the refuse and other waste, it would gradually develop a commensal (and sometimes prey-like) relationship with the early Mississippians that would eventually lead to full domestication. Less positive was the attraction of rodents and other pests that would raid food caches and spread fleas, but these rodents would in turn attract Grey Foxes who, like the New World Pig, would develop a commensal relationship with the Mississippians by feasting on the readily available rodents. The commensal relationships would over time cause the two species to develop something resembling their domesticated forms between 10,000 and 9,000 BP (8-7,000 BCE).

First, plant domestication always comes before animal domestication. The only exception to this is the wolf and it was domesticated long before other animals, by people who were fully hunter gatherers and stayed that way for a long time afterwards. The reason is simple: plants have a new generation every year and have many more offspring every year. Meaning, favorable mutations are more likely and can more quickly displace less useful versions.

Around the same time as the New World Pig domestication was complete, the first plant domestications were beginning.
Second, domestication does not end. We are still modifying wheat, goats, and other plants and animals that have been farmed for thousands of years. Unless you mean that they have reached the point they are unable to breed without human intervention, in which case two thousand years is probably not sufficient time for that to happen to animals. This might seem like a minor point but I think its important to understand if you are going to do a TL on domestication.

I'm interested in where you take this TL, especially since the Eastern Agricultural Complex was such a bust OTL.

First, plant domestication always comes before animal domestication. The only exception to this is the wolf and it was domesticated long before other animals, by people who were fully hunter gatherers and stayed that way for a long time afterwards. The reason is simple: plants have a new generation every year and have many more offspring every year. Meaning, favorable mutations are more likely and can more quickly displace less useful versions.
Jf American Pigs getting just as useful as dogs, remember that Pigs were Omnivores, it could actually picked a niche in hunter-gatherer society.

Of course, by very definition they would then looks more Boars than modern pigs, but the point remains.

I read it as they were becoming farmers the pigs also started staying around refuse dumps. Also animals like cows were domesticated around 10500 years ago so the timing makes sense.
Second, domestication does not end. We are still modifying wheat, goats, and other plants and animals that have been farmed for thousands of years. Unless you mean that they have reached the point they are unable to breed without human intervention, in which case two thousand years is probably not sufficient time for that to happen to animals. This might seem like a minor point but I think its important to understand if you are going to do a TL on domestication.
tbf I read it as 'when they first accumulating mutations that separate them from the wild population' rather than 'they stay stagnant'. But writing clearly is important ye.

I don't want to come across as rude but I have a few criticisms here. Know that I mean for them to be constructive.
Feel free, criticism is entirely welcome! I do plan on doing a few "behind the scene" posts to go into the decision making process behind certain things, and I'll definitely be doing a longer post about the Peccary domestication specifically, but I'll address that criticism a bit now.

This isn't actually entirely accurate. Most early animal domestication occurred after agriculture, but there is an increasing body of evidence that the pig too was domesticated prior to agriculture. Hallan Çemi (Wikipedia link for general info) was likely one of the first locations where pig domestication occurred, and there is no evidence for cereal cultivation (or wild collection) there at all. The plants that have been found have been wild type pulses and nuts for the most part. We have however found a great deal of pigs, and in proportions that suggest intentional management of them, and to a certain extent of early domestication syndrome [1]. We also see this in China, where pig domestication is dated to 8,000 BP [2, 3], whereas the earliest millet cultivation is a few hundred years later [2]. Rice cultivation meanwhile is dated to around 8,000 BP itself, so even in that case we see pig domestication developing at the same time as agriculture.

In any case, there is a good chance pigs were domesticated prior to agriculture (or perhaps concurrently in south China), they do however appear to have been domesticated by sedentary communities in all cases though, just not necessarily agricultural ones. I'll go into this more in a later post, but suffice it to say, I think there is a strong case to be made for the similar Peccary to undergo domestication in a similar manner.

1. Rosenberg, M. & Redding, R. Early pig husbandry in southwestern Asia and its implications for modeling the origins of food production. in (1998).
This is unfortunately not available online as far as I know, but can be found in the publication: "Ancestors for the Pigs," (1998), ed. Sarah M. Nelson. There's a lot of other great work in there too, but unlike the online ones that I can cite at the push of a button (thanks Zotero!), these require me to do by hand, and I have a lot of bibliographic material to go through.
2. Hongo, H., Kikuchi, H. & Nasu, H. Beginning of pig management in Neolithic China: comparison of domestication processes between northern and southern regions. Animal Frontiers 11, 30–42 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1093/af/vfab021
3. Xiang, H. et al. Origin and dispersal of early domestic pigs in northern China. Sci Rep 7, 5602 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-06056-8
While we have obviously continued to induce selective pressure on domesticated species, we can also pretty clearly see the point when they are no longer exhibiting wild phenotype and be called domesticated rather than wild. I probably could have worded that paragraph differently, but felt that the previous paragraph's "the two species to develop[ed] something resembling their domesticated forms between 10,000 and 9,000 BP (8-7,000 BCE)" sufficiently covered it. I'll consider editing it if it seems too unclear though.

I hope you continue to find the timeline interesting as I develop it, and please continue to point out any criticism you see.

Ooh this seems interesting I do like my alt domesticates. Would there be other animal domesticates? I could see bison at least be domesticated, and maybe elk for a ridable animal. I also see some rabbit/hare species being domesticated for their meat and fur kinda taking the chicken niche.

On other plant domesticates wild rice may make sense, and a plethora of fruits (a bunch of berries, cherries, pawpaws, crabapples, persimmon, hawthorn, American plum, etc.) would make for a good spread of fruits from the lower reaches of the river, but idk what vegetables and spices would they use.
There's definitely going be some additional domesticated animals in the future. I'm still mulling over a few of them, but I largely know what everything will be.

As far as wild rice, I already have several posts drafted out that I'm very excited about, but it won't be domesticated for a while yet. It will get there though!
Wuld it be possible to revive the American horse, so we can have horse nomads in the Great Plains?
I'm afraid most of the North American equids have already gone extinct by the PoD and I don't anticipate butterflies traveling fast enough to save those that haven't. There is a possibility for the Camelops or Hemiauchenia (a llama species) to remain around as I've seen a few works placing their extinction as late as 8,000 BP, but those dates are from the 80's, so I'm waiting on a few interlibrary loans with more recent research before I make a call on that.

Could we see diseases other than Syphilis crossing from the Americas to the Old World ITTL? It'd be interesting to see both sides of the Atlantic being hammered by diseases once the two worlds come in contact.

1. Rosenberg, M. & Redding, R. Early pig husbandry in southwestern Asia and its implications for modeling the origins of food production. in (1998).
This is unfortunately not available online as far as I know, but can be found in the publication: "Ancestors for the Pigs," (1998), ed. Sarah M. Nelson. There's a lot of other great work in there too, but unlike the online ones that I can cite at the push of a button (thanks Zotero!), these require me to do by hand, and I have a lot of bibliographic material to go through.
2. Hongo, H., Kikuchi, H. & Nasu, H. Beginning of pig management in Neolithic China: comparison of domestication processes between northern and southern regions. Animal Frontiers 11, 30–42 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1093/af/vfab021
3. Xiang, H. et al. Origin and dispersal of early domestic pigs in northern China. Sci Rep 7, 5602 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-06056-8
I admit I only skimmed those two references, but I don't see anything in either that suggests pig domestication taking place before plant domestication rather than alongside or after. Could you point me to where they talk about it?

There's definitely going be some additional domesticated animals in the future. I'm still mulling over a few of them, but I largely know what everything will be.

As far as wild rice, I already have several posts drafted out that I'm very excited about, but it won't be domesticated for a while yet. It will get there though!
ooh nice! I do hope we see the civ flourish with or without different technologies, but seeing stuff like wild rice is also very fun, and supposedly the stems are edible too which is interesting.

my predictions in the future are that goosefoot interbreeds with quinoa to have a hybrid species and that maize becomes an important crop but doesn't replace little barley and goosefoot.
Could we see diseases other than Syphilis crossing from the Americas to the Old World ITTL? It'd be interesting to see both sides of the Atlantic being hammered by diseases once the two worlds come in contact.
I think america does have its own diseases, but something like a particularly virulent strain of flu would knock out significant amount of the population of the Europeans.