Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

I sort of assumed that the British would foot the bill, somehow. At least partially. But maybe it would be a limited national service with very generous exceptions, like Taiwan's modern joke of conscription?

I suppose so. I'm not sure why Singapore has compulsory service, for instance.
Honestly, I'm not sure if Great Britain in the 1970-80s would be willing to spend at least hundreds of pounds per annum to defend an outpost on the other side of the world (a conscript military, even a 1 year joke like the OTL Taiwan, would still required about 1.5-2% of GDP).

Singapore has territorial defense needs (and unofficially, possibly for reasons of social cohesion/control)

I have a military question, and the public forum told me to come here.
Why are some military units in brackets like “1st Special Forces Command (Airborne)”, or “8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s)?
(Also, if this is the wrong thread/forum, please let me know.)

Last edited:
What if Germany, upon reunification, re-established Prussia as a Länder, or as a free state, like Bavaria and Saxony? Provided that the former allies agree....

Why are some military units in brackets like “1st Special Forces Command (Airborne)”, or “8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s)?
For British Army units, it's a call-back to the history of the regiment. For example, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) was formed in 1971 by amalgamation of the 3rd Carabiniers and the Royal Scots Greys - hence the name in brackets.
For the second example you gave, the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s) was originally a yeomanry cavalry unit which in 1884 was renamed as the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry in honour of Queen Victoria's fourth daughter; it went through various other names since then but has retained that honorific.
I assume the same sort of thing applies to units in the USA's forces, but I'm not 100% sure; someone else on here is bound to know though.

For British Army units, it's a call-back to the history of the regiment. For example, The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) was formed in 1971 by amalgamation of the 3rd Carabiniers and the Royal Scots Greys - hence the name in brackets.
For the second example you gave, the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise’s) was originally a yeomanry cavalry unit which in 1884 was renamed as the 8th Princess Louise's New Brunswick Regiment of Cavalry in honour of Queen Victoria's fourth daughter; it went through various other names since then but has retained that honorific.
I assume the same sort of thing applies to units in the USA's forces, but I'm not 100% sure; someone else on here is bound to know though.
Thank you for the help.

This is all cribbed from hazy recollection of Alexander Reid Ross' Years of Lead Pod podcast episodes on the subject, haven't done any real reading on it and it's silly so won't make a thread.
OTL, former Italian PM Aldo Moro was kidnapped in 1978 by the Red Brigades, a kind of vulgar Marxist armed revolutionary group at the far end of a milieu of left-wing groups which rejected electoral politics. Their particular contribution to Communist political theory was asserting the existence of a global conspiracy in fact of multinational corporations and their national Quislings, of which Italy's was the Christian Democracy party, the dominant party in the post-war Republic up to that point. This lead them to strangely vindictive revolutionary actions like maiming minor local DC functionaries. Moro was a founding member of the party and then party president, and the leader of a center-left faction within it. Ross proposed that, although they were a violent group, their intention with the Moro kidnapping was to create the spectacle of a 'people's trial', force both the state and the DC into publicly negotiating with them and recognizing them as an entity, and secure a prisoner exchange of their imprisoned members for Moro. As actually happened, their radio silence after the kidnapping while they were trying to take the measure of the Italian political class, their rhetorical inability to specifically name their demands, and their decision to have Moro write letters pleading for those negotiations to take place, all lead political leaders across the spectrum to reject negotiations as an intolerable indignity against the democratic state and Moro himself. A kind of standoff ensued for two months, and while public pressure grew on the politicians to do something, the Red Brigades ultimately gave up on waiting and murdered Moro.
Moro was an interesting figure for this to have happened to. He was a professor of the institutions of law and a member of the Constituent Assembly which drafted the constitution of the Republic. He wrote about how democracy and democratic law possessed a vitality through its dialectical processes which engendered the life of society as a whole, while non-democratic societies withered. He was also a shrewd backroom politician who in his final years attempted the delicate maneuvering to bring the Communist Party of Italy into a confidence and supply agreement with the DC, and perhaps in the future a coalition government, the 'Historic Compromise.' There were practical considerations in favor of this, in the previous election the PCI won second place with 34% of the vote, being the senior partner in an arrangement with them would have a moderating effect on them and ensure some political continuity if they continued to grow. In addition to that though Moro apparently had high-minded beliefs that the exclusion of the Communists from government was a deformation of Italian democracy which impaired the vital quality he wrote about. During this he apparently wasn't as interested in engaging the growing extra-parliamentary left, and his kidnapping puzzled him, for example he seemed to expect negotiation might occur with the PCI acting as a liaison, unaware that the Brigadists considered them class traitors and the PCI was terrified of association with the Brigadists.
With all of that set up, suppose Moro realized that the colleagues he was begging for help from were paralyzed by the situation, and instead devoted his energies to working his Red Brigadists captors? They're desperate people, he's an eloquent political philosopher and skilled deal maker, and the situation is in line with his long held goals of expanding the reach of Italian democracy. The effect of this could be as minor as him persuading his captors to release him, and maybe to turn themselves in. It's not as traumatic an experience for the Italian people, the left is probably still weakened for it though. Moro remains in politics and a popular figure but the center-right faction of the DC is still ascendant for the remainder of his political life so he doesn't accomplish much more. He gets a turn as President of Italy as a sop, and his hagiography isn't as intense when he dies naturally, hopefully before the Mani pulite investigations.
My more ridiculous, wanky idea is that he prevails so thoroughly over his captors, and they go on to persuade their comrades in the BR, that they agree to using the hostage negotiations as a way to draw the democratic state and the extra-parliamentary left into dialogue. They wait it out, and public pressure eventually forces the political leadership of the country into negotiations which Moro, despite nominally being a captive and the object of negotiation, orchestrates, winning the extra-parliamentary left political recognition and broad amnesties and pardons, and winning from them a commitment to engaging in politics in a democratically spirited way. I don't intend to insult too much the sincerity of those leftists by imagining they all go start official political parties and run for office, but some of them do and some more of them vote, and the rest are invigorated rather than demoralized by the whole affair. After the next election, a DC-PCI coalition is formed. It then runs directly into the economic reality of Italy in the late 70s and early 80s, and is either forced to do the same kinds of liberalizing reforms that the OTL governments did with the complicity of the parliamentary left, and they end up voted out, or it doesn't and the country's economic troubles worsen until they're voted out. Either way, the Communist moment passes and they get incorporated into the center left blob, a tragically domesticated end for would be revolutionaries.

Last edited:
Weird question, but would an animal based timeline fall into the “after 1900” category if it took place after 1900 of course. I’ve been thinking on making a timeline based on the Gobe Chimp War in 1972, a 4 year long war between the Kasekele group and some Separatists. It wouldn’t have any humans in it other than some Jane Goodall and researcher cameos and would mostly be told from the perspective of the chimps themselves (No, zero chimps talking or acting like humans don’t worry I’m not Disney). I have a feeling it would fit here but, it’s definitely different then other timelines here, I’m fairly new to this.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Considering that custom and international law establish that the Russian Empire is the predecessor of Russia, and that it was considered Russia during its time of existence, considering them to be the same is not just something the Russians have pulled out of their asses.

The international law of state succession concerning treaties indicates that successor states are frequently entitled to a de novo review of the treaty commitments of the predecessor state, and they are not immediately obligated to assume all the treaties of the predecessor state. Similarly, the political assurances received from the individual successor states are incomplete, unilateral, and unlikely to be considered binding under international law.

There is nothing in international law that makes Russia somehow special as a successor state to the USSR and thence to the Russian Empire, especially since the Russian Empire itself broke up into multiple separate countries that were only later federated into the USSR. The empire did not immediately and directly transition into the USSR.

Ukrainians, Georgians, the Kyrgyiz, etc… would all strongly beg to differ that "Russia" and "Russian Empire" were the same thing.

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Is anybody familiar with the history of the various Malay Sultanates? I'm trying to do the maps for South Asia in my Balance of Power ATL, and I know that Negeri Sembilan was bigger than the modern Malaysian state of the same name, having lost all or parts of four the nine chiefdoms that formed it sometime before the creation of the Federated Malay States in 1895.
While I know when the Nanning War happened when then-Dutch Malacca annexed the banning Chiefdom from Negeri Sembilan, I have not been able to find even what years the other parts were taken away by the neighbouring sultanates.
So if anybody knows when that happens or has some pointers to good references on the topic, I would really appreciate it.

Would there be a conglomerate like Televisa if Raúl Ázcarraga Vidaurreta became (one of) the principal Mexican media mogul(s) instead of his brother Raúl?

Which country would be wealthier in an ATL where the European coal & steel community never became the EEA or EU. Italy without it's agrarian south or Germany if the former communist east never unified with it.
Edit: The European social fund also doesn't exist in TTL

Last edited:
Weird question, but would an animal based timeline fall into the “after 1900” category if it took place after 1900 of course. I’ve been thinking on making a timeline based on the Gobe Chimp War in 1972, a 4 year long war between the Kasekele group and some Separatists. It wouldn’t have any humans in it other than some Jane Goodall and researcher cameos and would mostly be told from the perspective of the chimps themselves (No, zero chimps talking or acting like humans don’t worry I’m not Disney). I have a feeling it would fit here but, it’s definitely different than other timelines here, I’m fairly new to this.
If your not going for anything explicitly extremely magical I would say after 1900 works best.

Please elaborate some more on this one!

Esentially Pinochet becomes a red-edition of himself? Well in that case Galtieri will receive more help and supplies if he just change his objectives from Malvinas to Chile...

Sounds...interesting lol

El Condor Rojo is built on two ideas:

First is the irony that Pinochet can do almost everything he is infamous for in OTL, and the same people who curse him as a traitorous fascist dictator in OTL would praise him ITTL as a heroic defender of The Revolution who rightfully cleansed his country of CIA operatives (by throwing them off of helicopters etc). Likewise the same people who praise him OTL (ironically or not) would curse him as the Castro of the Andes.

Second is the way Pinochet joined the Junta OTL; despite his claims of being the mastermind, other military officials who were around recall that he only reluctantly joined a few days before the Coup kicked off, and even then he basically followed everyone else's lead. It was only later that he wrestled power from the rest of the Junta. So it's not entirely beyond the realm of possibility that he gets cold feet about the Junta, defects to Allende, and throws a pre-emptive counter-coup (bonus points if it follows the path that Plan Z was supposedly meant to follow). Of course, being Pinochet, things quickly take a turn for the worse.

Also El Condor Rojo/The Red Condor is too perfect a title not to use.

Last edited:
El Condor Rojo is built on two ideas:

First is the irony that Pinochet can do almost everything he is infamous for in OTL, and the same people who curse him as a traitorous fascist dictator in OTL would praise him ITTL as a heroic defender of The Revolution who rightfully cleansed his country of CIA operatives (by throwing them off of helicopters etc). Likewise the same people who praise him OTL (ironically or not) would curse him as the Castro of the Andes.

Second is the way Pinochet joined the Junta OTL; despite his claims of being the mastermind, other military officials who were around recall that he only reluctantly joined a few days before the Coup kicked off, and even then he basically followed everyone else's lead. It was only later that he wrestled power from the rest of the Junta. So it's not entirely beyond the realm of possibility that he gets cold feet about the Junta, defects to Allende, and throws a pre-emptive counter-coup (bonus points if it follows the path that Plan Z was supposedly meant to follow). Of course, being Pinochet, things quickly take a turn for the worse.

Also El Condor Rojo/The Red Condor is too perfect a title not to use.
The second point sounds like Pinochet was Chilean Franco: everyone insists on believing that he is the intellectual author of the coup, he was in the plot from the beginning, and he is the key figure that must be eliminated because without him nothing works... when in reality the last one arrived and he is the one who remained with supreme power because he was the only one left standing.

From Mariya Takeuchi's TV Tropes page:

She is from ultra-rural Shimane Prefecture in far-west Honshu, the third daughter of an innkeeping family. Despite such a rural lifestyle, her family loved music and she quickly took a liking to Western songs, especially The Beatles, and used that to broaden her horizons. She spent her final year of high school in Illinois under an international exchange program. Shortly after she returned to Japan and enrolled in Keio University (where she majored in English Literature), she was one of two winners of a 1974 English recitation contest sponsored by The Japan Times. In other words, unlike most Japanese singers past or present, she's near-fluent in English. Despite this, she has said she never felt any need to branch out worldwide even though she could have easily done so.

So... what if she did, maybe by accident? Let's say, Plastic Love (that wasn't that big of a hit in Japan, apparently, unlike other songs of hers) is picked up in 1985 by some random radio station in California or Hawaii, and slowly but surely becomes a hit in the United States as a whole first, and the rest of the world later on, not only in the rest of the Anglosphere and Western Europe, but also in places like Brazil and Peru, that have significant communities of Japanese origin. Would she remain a one-hit wonder outside of Japan, or would it be the prelude for something greater, both for her and for other Japanese artists?