Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

This is more of a designation question but was there ever an STS designation equivalent planned for Buran?

What if Yockey (or some other American FR politician, like Thurmond or Wallace) won the 1968 elections as a pushback due to the civil rights act?

Manila_Burnham_Plan.jpg

What if Daniel Burham's plan for Manila was actually applied after World Ward II?

I wonder, is there any way Alice Roosevelt could've become President of the United States in her lifetime, and how would she have acted if elected?

As far as I know, she was involved in politics (albeit not as a politician herself) until her death in the 1980s, and she was acquainted with basically everyone in the capital - most importantly, she never quite grew out of her Oscar Wilde-esque penchant for gratuitous trolling and verbal sparring, a trait that could've been one hell of a weapon in her arsenal, had she chosen to follow in her father's footsteps. :p

My question is, What if Adolf Hitler died during one of the many times he was supposed to die in the war from 1914-1919? Would we still see the Weimar Republic, albeit having undergone massive reform? Or perhaps would someone still have taken control? And how different would Europe look?

My question is, What if Adolf Hitler died during one of the many times he was supposed to die in the war from 1914-1919? Would we still see the Weimar Republic, albeit having undergone massive reform? Or perhaps would someone still have taken control? And how different would Europe look?
I'd like to think I'm not one to usually argue historical inevitability, but in this case I doubt the Weimar Republic will survive. There's too much political splintering, populist ideas and a strong scepticism about democracy in Germany.

Now will that be the Nazis? No, not necessarily, that particular party ideology was shaped by Hitler. Will the most likely result be nationalist, 'völkisch', right wing, authoritarian? Probably. Maybe or maybe not with a dash of military coup.

A coup from the left to be honest, despite the fear-mongering at the time about it, is far less likely.

Maybe look more into parallels elsewhere in Europe for examples - Poland, Hungary, Portugal might provide inspiration for who such a different authoritarian regime in Germany might have looked like.

I have a question that I thought would be interesting, as it's about The Flash(one of my favorite comic book superheroes). What if instead of revamping or replacing Jay Garrick with Barry Allen as The Flash for the silver age DC Comics just brought back Jay Garrick? How might this affect comic books more specifically Flash comics?

I have a question that I thought would be interesting, as it's about The Flash(one of my favorite comic book superheroes). What if instead of revamping or replacing Jay Garrick with Barry Allen as The Flash for the silver age DC Comics just brought back Jay Garrick? How might this affect comic books more specifically Flash comics?
Since "Barry Allen meets Jay Garrick" is a much easier pitch to make than "Jay Garrick meets Jay Garrick with a different hat", I'd expect this timeline to miss out on "Flash of Two Worlds" and thereby the DC multiverse as we know it.

Since "Barry Allen meets Jay Garrick" is a much easier pitch to make than "Jay Garrick meets Jay Garrick with a different hat", I'd expect this timeline to miss out on "Flash of Two Worlds" and thereby the DC multiverse as we know it.
We could still get the DC multiverse thought it would probably be "Silver age Superman meets Golden age Superman" or "Hal Jordon meets Alan Scott" Also how would they bring Jay back? Would they give him Barry's origin and costume? Or might they go the Captain America route where Jay gets frozen during WW2 and unfrozen during the Silver age?

Here's the challenge. Have iPhones and Android phones become the majority of smartphones at the same time otl, but have non smartphones remain the majority of cell phones through at least 2022. Is it plausible or ASB?
Originally posted here but thread is closed due to being in wrong part of the forum:https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...phones-remaining-the-majority-in-2022.529435/
I would say that it is plausible. Maybe have it to where they were ridiculously overpriced (compared to today's prices), so people could really only afford the cheaper phones. Also, ASB is seen as something that may not be plausible. ASB literally means something like "Aliens invading Earth! Time Traveler. Car going 7 lightspeed.", basically, stuff that is completely impossible. What you asked would never be considered ASB. Implausible? maybe. But ASB, definitely not.

i actually wanted to make an infobox of Condoleezza Rice as president in the wake of 9/11.

in atl world, she become the secretary of state in recommendation of powell who instead retire. then a worse 9/11 occurs, leading her to become the president.

I'm have not learned yet to make an infographic, so yeah.

Ok, I had started a topic a while ago but no one answered.

So, I am writing this here. Basically, I need some help on modern China.

My question: What would have changed if Hu Jintao didn't succeed Jiang Zemin and there was no downfall of the so-called ''Shanghai clique''? Let's say that somebody from this group, like Wu Bangguo is the next leader of the PRC after Jiang. Is it going to make Chinese internal or foreign policy any different and would Xi still rise to power?

I’ve been thinking about ways McGovern could win in 1972 and I think I may have found a scenario where it’s possible but I’m not sure how plausible it is.
The idea is basically the Yom Kippur War happens a year earlier in 1971 and not 1972. The Israel-Egypt confrontation ends in a tie but also the Syrians unlike OTL don’t stop at the border and March into the north but eventually get beat back.

The oil embargo still happens and democrats blame Nixon for Israel being vulnerable and the economy struggling as a result. McGovern wins the dem primary and beats Nixon because of the bad economy. Is a Yom Kippur War a year earlier realistic?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Here's the challenge. Have iPhones and Android phones become the majority of smartphones at the same time otl, but have non smartphones remain the majority of cell phones through at least 2022. Is it plausible or ASB?
Originally posted here but thread is closed due to being in wrong part of the forum:https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...phones-remaining-the-majority-in-2022.529435/
Pass a law against what is basically hire purchase of a phone, so that people have to buy them outright, rather than pay off the price as part of their monthly contract.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Stephen Fry wrote "Making History" on this premise.

Perhaps more realistically the DNVP under Hugenberg might have taken power.

There may have been a restoration of the Kaiser, or of one of his sons as Regent.

You could have ended with an anology to Italy, with the monarch in position, under which a far right party establishes control of the government.

Schleicher etc might have been happy to have worked with the DNVP, leading to an amalgam of nationalist and military leadership, again similar to Italy.

tonycat77

Banned
What happens in the 1920s-1930s if Jutland ends up sinking both navies?
RN still "wins" but is severely limited to a few battleships
KM get's nothing but destroyers and a few pre-dreads for coastal action
What happens next? does everyone and their mother double down on more battleships or everyone starts thinking about smaller ships and the aircraft carrier earlier?
With no cash spent on refitting or even scrapping old ships, what does the RN does after the war?

Grey Wolf

Donor
What happens next? does everyone and their mother double down on more battleships or everyone starts thinking about smaller ships and the aircraft carrier earlier?
With no cash spent on refitting or even scrapping old ships, what does the RN does after the war?
There's a nucleus of dreadnoughts not at Jutland, under repair, or finishing completion (the Rs). There is the Hood, and its 3 sisters could be continued with. For a fleet in the immediate sense, the KE7s could be brought back into the Grand Fleet

Let's imagine: the Central American federation survives today; what would its policy look like along the 20th century to the present day? A stable and prosperous republic like Costa Rica, or an unstable republic controlled by guerrillas like the rest of the Central American OTL republics? Afterwards, like OTL, the USA will surely make it, through the United Fruit Company, a banana republic, but all that depends on whether Washington lets the agrarian reforms take place. If so, stability à la Costa Rica. If not, a bit like Guatemala or El Salvador OTL.... Thoughts? Ideas?

Driftless

Donor

There's a nucleus of dreadnoughts not at Jutland, under repair, or finishing completion (the Rs). There is the Hood, and its 3 sisters could be continued with. For a fleet in the immediate sense, the KE7s could be brought back into the Grand Fleet

With This alt-Jutland being an Anglo-German fight, there's also a large French and American fleets in existence and more in the works. Plus, a budding Japanese naval force too. How do those conditions impact British building considerations?