Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

McPherson

Banned
What if the US had P-39 with a better engine instead of P-,51
Net effect = zero. The design issue is RANGE (measured as endurance minutes in time aloft() engine aspiration and cooling. Bury a Merlin in a P-39 and the same issues will cramp the Merlin as cramped the Allison. The design choices in the aircraft mid-engine layout were WRONG. Not my opinion is this; those are practical limitation of engineering options facts.
What if Tim Burton completed his Batman trilogy
MOO. To quote Tom King; "unacceptable".
Some somewhat frivolous snippets:
"No no no. That just will not do AT ALL. He is not to go off gallivanting after the enemy fleet like that. If all the enemy carrier divisions and battleships are out there, he could hardly do much about them, now, could he? His role is to act as part of my artillery park, supporting our troops on land, as they battle with the enemy and sharing what air-cover we have with them. Someone call him back."
- General B. Montgomery telling his superior, General Wavell to not permit Admiral Phillips to sail in the as yet unwritten timeline Monty in Malaya

"<expletive in Japanese>"
- Imperial Japanese soldier discovering that Australian troops trained to play rough in rubber plantations are at least as good at the whole warfare-on-the-Malaya-Peninsula thing as the Imperial Japanese; similar sentiments will be expressed by Imperial Japanese forces upon encounter of other Commonwealth troops, at least if they have the time to get any last words out (Monty in Malaya timeline)

"So what do you suppose that the Führer will ask of us next?" (in German, as Rommel celebrates with some of his senior officers in a bar at the end of his North African campaign in 1942, in the 1958 film Ice Cold in Alex, (Monty in Malaya timeline))
SBD with just one change= Monty in a Japanese prison camp, pronto, and Slim conquers Rommel after GAZALA.

Maybe make a wooden Me 309?

Me_309.jpg

One needs to examine that barrel and the tail control. One wishes this had replaced the BF 109. The USAAF would have flown with joy and the PVO would have breathed a sigh of relief that the LW veteran pilots were crippled with (^^^) Willy Messerschmidt's latest mistake in aeronautics.

Last edited:
Weird shower thought I’m tempted to turn into a full thread - the Bolsheviks lose the Russian Civil War, with a very Pyrrhic victory for the Whites that leads to them collapsing to various warlord territories, possibly with Black and Green groups still operating. Many of the surviving Bolsheviks go into exile in the west, with one Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin, valiant defender of Tsaritsyn, ending up in Germany.

All as set up for a political machination-off between Stalin and Hitler in Weimar Germany.

Is this even vaguely plausible, or am I into full-on slightly-creepy ASB territory here.

Weird shower thought I’m tempted to turn into a full thread - the Bolsheviks lose the Russian Civil War, with a very Pyrrhic victory for the Whites that leads to them collapsing to various warlord territories, possibly with Black and Green groups still operating. Many of the surviving Bolsheviks go into exile in the west, with one Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin, valiant defender of Tsaritsyn, ending up in Germany.

All as set up for a political machination-off between Stalin and Hitler in Weimar Germany.

Is this even vaguely plausible, or am I into full-on slightly-creepy ASB territory here.
Bolsheviks losing is vaguely plausible. Them winning wasn't a foregone conclusion. Surviving Bolsheviks in that case would go into exile. Stalin ending up in Germany could happen, but him vs. Hitler in Weimar Germany seems rather fanciful. Very unlikely but not impossible.
Full on ASB is usually geological/biological, self-inserts, time travel, teleportation, etc.

Last edited:

McPherson

Banned
Assuming no Barbarossa what is the main Soviet tank and fighter around 1943-4
I don't know. Why don't you find out and tell us? I would love to learn that answer.

Just to help with a start point.

I don't know. Why don't you find out and tell us? I would love to learn that answer.

Just to help with a start point.
Definitely T-34M is going to enter production in 1941 and replace T-34 in production by 1942. This is what was gonna happen without Barbarossa

WI Rax Roast Beef never started diversifying their menus in the mid-1980s and stuck to their core working class costumer based?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where to find detailed information on the color-coded/rainbow war plans? Ideally copies of them. Wikisource has War Plan Red, but no other that I can find. Alternatewars.com has Green, Tan, and White, but I'm particularly interested in War Plan Red-Orange.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Does anyone know where to find detailed information on the color-coded/rainbow war plans? Ideally copies of them. Wikisource has War Plan Red, but no other that I can find. Alternatewars.com has Green, Tan, and White, but I'm particularly interested in War Plan Red-Orange.
Get into the right Twitter communities, as in talk to the relevant experts etc, and then ask. Twitter provides direct access to answers once you find the right people

...SBD with just one change= Monty in a Japanese prison camp, pronto, and Slim conquers Rommel after GAZALA...
Slim was already on his way to Burma in the original timeline whilst Auchinleck was still listening to bad advice in the desert but yet to be Gazala'ed. I'm not sure that (unless Monty does MASSIVELY better than Percival's effort and routs the IJ Malaya invasion as soon as it hits, causing butterflies and panic in the IJ Burma invasion rear), Slim going to Burma would be butterfly'ed.

(As an aside, wiki claims Monty's brother, Brian, was working under Slim in the original timeline in Burma Corps… Hmm. Interesting possibilities there for a narrative angle in a timeline.)

Would Soviet tank design be different if they bought Panzer I and II instead of the Christie tank?

Did the sloped armor on Christie tank somehow inspire the sloped armor on T-34?

BBC-2's Newsroom was transferred to BBC-1 in the mid-to-late 1960s, particularly 1966-67, retaining its original timeslot of 7:30 PM (and renaming it as The Seven Thirty News). How it could affect the primetime schedule not just of BBC-1, but also of ITV as well?