Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

could a full lake Cahuilla help drought in south California? if south California didn't have the water from north California could it survive with a full lake cahuilla and desalnation plants?
it would be consistently filled with about half of the water from the colorado river and would go through laguana salanda and ill that as well then empty into the current place where the colorado empties also baja California is part of south california
It would damage irrigation canals and water supply around Yuma and Mexicali and the constant refilling would diminish water around those areas. The lake itself would cover valuable farmland. Additionally, it would need drainage channels to remove the salt that naturally builds up in the lake. The climate benefits the lake produces are marginal--most precipitation will fall on the nearby mountains anyway.

It's more beneficial IMO to leave the Salton Sea healthy and unpolluted with saltwater fishing and tourism. Lake Cahuilla is ephemeral, especially as a freshwater lake, and it seems too difficult to try and force nature into accepting a compromise without serious engineering (i.e. bringing in water from icebergs or maybe even going to space and importing it from comets).

Now the desalination plants are 100% viable as Saudi Arabia and even the very overbudget plant in Carlsbad has proved. Also keep in mind that a hypothetical state of northern California would be entitled to 0% of the Colorado's flow, although California itself might be allotted less water meaning the other states would get more (Mexico probably won't).

WI: Hans Asperger was smuggled to America as part of Operation Paperclip.​

I’m wondering how the history of autism would have changed if Hans Asperger was smuggled out of Nazi Germany after World War II. How would research into autism play out? How would pediatrics have played out? How would the works of other autism researchers be affected?

Braga from 2009-10 were a team that never forgot in the Primeira Liga and they were doing a good game in the first round and were in the first place of the championship

on Matchday 20, Braga ended up losing to Porto by 5-1 and the football fans think if Braga ended up giving up the First League title but Braga ended up never giving up the
title and they went to Decide that on the last day

President of the Camara Muncipal do Braga guarantee that the players and the coach will go to Fátima on foot after taking a bath in the nude in Fonte Luminosa if Braga is to be national champion Braga needs to win the national and Benfica draws to rio ave

most unhappy Braga bottle in Madeira and see the title die on the beach and Benfica was champion by beating rio ave by 2-1

Braga did not win the title for not beating Madeira to be the national champion, but Braga could be the third club after Boavista and Belenenses and the first Minho to be champion of the Primeira Liga

I imagine what Braga will be like in the future years if Braga wins in Madeira and is the national champion, Will Braga will fight with Porto and Benfica for the title of the first league and Will Braga will fight for the place in the Champions league

Braga would fight with Porto and Benfica for the title of the First League and for the place in the Champions League to take advantage of Braga's victory.

WI: Hans Asperger was smuggled to America as part of Operation Paperclip.​

I’m wondering how the history of autism would have changed if Hans Asperger was smuggled out of Nazi Germany after World War II. How would research into autism play out? How would pediatrics have played out?
Well, during the heyday of Freudianism, that approach might be knocked down a few pegs, don’t you think?

The theories of Sigmund Freud are about about complex, narrative-driven explanations of human behavior. Early childhood has an out-sized effect. And importantly, the distant past has a bigger effect than the more recent past.

In contrast, the idea of an autism spectrum is the far more boring idea that some human beings are just wired up differently.

Well, during the heyday of Freudianism, that approach might be knocked down a few pegs, don’t you think?

The theories of Sigmund Freud are about about complex, narrative-driven explanations of human behavior. Early childhood has an out-sized effect. And importantly, the distant past has a bigger effect than the more recent past.

In contrast, the idea of an autism spectrum is the far more boring idea that some human beings are just wired up differently.
On the other hand, there is a chance that the National Institutes Of (Mental) Health could have gotten involved in Operation Paperclip…Anyway, you have a point.

Is it possible to have a very corporatized/privatized society if there are very little government funds (perhaps because of a sovereign default)? Maybe a "Russia Incorporated" of a 1998 Russia (where the government defaulted on its debts)? Or a Modern Greece? (Although that is probably current politics so I will not go further)? I think this is a dumb idea, but this is more of a thought exercise.

I know this is ASB with the OTL leadership, but what if Imperial Germany had a different leadership before WWI(POD can be any you want) that was more "honest"(not good, only sincere about their european pursuits) and when Archiduke Ferdinand got killed they intervened in Serbia in support of Austria's investigation, taking the russians out of the war(like IOTL) to aid the austrians but only defending itself from France's attacks after their declaration of war?

This way they never invaded or bombed Belgium or any other neutral country(such as America), focusing in defense and bringing France(and Britain, if they still declare war) to the peace table as they already possess Alsace-Lorraine and achieved their aims in the East by beating Russia

but only defending itself from France's attacks after their declaration of war?
The thing is that probably the best defense against France (from the perspective of Germany & both being industrial countries) is a good offensive - both cases I think end in rather a trench-y warfare tho.

The thing is that probably the best defense against France (from the perspective of Germany & both being industrial countries) is a good offensive - both cases I think end in rather a trench-y warfare tho.
Obviously, this is why I think its ASB with OTL leadership and it would take one that thinks Germany can hold back France till they can finish off Russia(the good ol' East First strategy)

Of course Im not saying that would allow them to win the war either, I just wonder what would have happened if they attempted playing "good guy" for once(ignoring all their crimes everywhere else)

Because I have no knowledge of how modern warfare works, not because I think the opposite(they being doomed to lose) is true either*
Honestly too many "Germany wins WW1" and "Germany wins WW2" scenarios, have kind of ruined the idea for me - but that's only me, I don't know much of war itself either beyond "having good logistics is a good idea", and some other things.

On the other hand, there is a chance that the National Institutes Of (Mental) Health could have gotten involved in Operation Paperclip…Anyway, you have a point.
Yes, we’d have more Freudians in the U.S. with some really good central-European accents ! ! ! :openedeyewink: But Freud’s theories were already the dominant approach in counseling, in explaining human behavior, etc.

So much so . . .

That we had the theory that the “refrigerator mother” caused autism [maybe all the way thru the 1970s … for crying out loud!]. With is a stretch, because autism sure seems like something physical. But for the sake of theories, people in the field were willing to make that stretch.

Leo Kanner (1943):

“They were left neatly in refrigerators which did not defrost.”
[this was supposedly either the mother’s emotions or the way she treated her child]

Maybe it was simply the fact that Dr. Kanner was the 9th doctor the mother had seen about her child. And perhaps with the 1st five doctors, the mother had been open and expressive and hopeful with them. But once it became obvious that the doctors were just floundering about, with wildly different ideas, No, she wasn’t exactly real enthused when talking with the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th doctors.

Last edited:
Honestly too many "Germany wins WW1" and "Germany wins WW2" scenarios, have kind of ruined the idea for me - but that's only me, I don't know much of war itself either beyond "having good logistics is a good idea", and some other things.
Yeah, I dont care about german victory in the war either, I just wonder the sociocultural effects of them"playing nice/defensive" because they think thats the most optimal strategy, wheter it wins them the war or not I have no clue and Im fine with either

Yes, we’d have more Freudians in the U.S. with some really good central-European accents ! ! ! :openedeyewink: But Freud’s theories were already the dominant approach in counseling, in explaining human behavior, etc.

So much so . . .

That we had the theory that the “refrigerator mother” caused autism [maybe all the way thru the 1970s … for crying out loud!]. With is a stretch, because autism sure seems like something physical. But for the sake of theories, people in the field were willing to make that stretch.

Leo Kanner (1943):

“They were left neatly in refrigerators which did not defrost.”
[this was supposedly either the mother’s emotions or the way she treated her child]

Maybe it was simply the fact that Dr. Kanner was the 9th doctor the mother had seen about her child. And perhaps with the 1st five doctors, the mother had been open and expressive and hopeful with them. But once it became obvious that the doctors were just floundering about, with wildly different ideas, No, she wasn’t exactly real enthused when talking with the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th doctors.
Kanner did do some subsequent research that helped to disprove the theory. Even then, Bruno “Bastard” Bettelheim played a huge part in promoting the theory.

I know this is ASB with the OTL leadership, but what if Imperial Germany had a different leadership before WWI(POD can be any you want) that was more "honest"(not good, only sincere about their european pursuits) and when Archiduke Ferdinand got killed they intervened in Serbia in support of Austria's investigation, taking the russians out of the war(like IOTL) to aid the austrians but only defending itself from France's attacks after their declaration of war?

This way they never invaded or bombed Belgium or any other neutral country(such as America), focusing in defense and bringing France(and Britain, if they still declare war) to the peace table as they already possess Alsace-Lorraine and achieved their aims in the East by beating Russia
Imperial Germany wouldn't do that, they were too full of "you'll see what happens when you mess with Germany!".

As for defensive posture, the problem is that Germany would logically establish its defensive line INCLUDING Alsace-Lorraine, not by positioning itself behind the pre-1870 border. They will most likely decide this is a great idea because France will destroy itself by launching attacks to try to regain A-L.

This of course leaves out the fact that the UK was eager to find an excuse to go to war against Germany, and would keep trying even now that Germany is playing the useful fool by tearing up Russia for them.

Hell, we could even end up with London starting to supply weapons and supplies of all kinds to Russia in a desperate attempt to prevent them from losing, as well as hoarding all possible supplies to feed Russia/France, while ignoring all of Germany's complaints that a neutral country is not supposed to can do that.

Of course, in theory the United Kingdom, as a country that thinks everything exclusively in terms of economics and money, would quickly see how foolish it is to basically throw away hundreds of millions of pounds in the name of the hypothetical possibility of the Entente defeating Germany...

...but they won't do it because from their point of view this strategy worked very well (in the Napoleonic Wars), so most likely they are also trying to cause "incidents" in which "German" ships attack American ships when It is evident that Germany is resisting and refuses to fall...

Even then, Bruno “Bastard” Bettelheim played a huge part in promoting the theory.

Bettelheim has to be in some kind of Top 10 as far as sheer longevity of the con.

Coming to the United States during WWII as a Holocaust survivor from Austria, he leveraged an art history degree and his wife taking care of one austistic child into something more. 1st to get a professorship, and 2nd to get directorship of a residential school for kids on the spectrum.

The obvious tension is —

he was an Holocaust survivor, but he caused real harm, but he was an Holocaust survivor, but he caused real harm

He got the job as director of the school in 1944. His fake credentials + abusive treatment of the kids living there were not exposed until some time after he died in 1990.

* and the con was mostly keep his job and to be a big shot, not to make a shit ton of money

Last edited:
How would you make it so Tacos or more importantly Tortillas never became popular in South America , I was thinking thicker bread could made from the masa rather then thin tortillas, maybe called little bread by the Spanish instead of little cakes “panito”

Last edited: