Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

If Charles V had been willing to remarry after the death of Isabella who would be most likely to be his second wife?
Marguerite of Valois if Francis and Charles can remain civil long enough for the marriage to go through, but other than that, probably an Italian bride. Maybe Vittoria Farnese? She was proposed as a second wife for Charles OTL, but he didn’t want to remarry.

What's to say that Anne "raised in France" Boleyn will not think that Mary in France is a grand idea since she is so likely to have sons in this TL by your own estimate?
Henry will NOT marry Mary in France unless he has at least two legitimate healthy sons. He would not trust Francis to not try mischiefs if his succession is not secure… Engagements were one thing, actual matches another one… Still Mary would be 16 only in 1532 (and the Dauphin would be 14 in that year, so just of the legal age for marrying) and Anne would have already the time for giving birth to two children. If Mary’s actual marriage is planned for 1534 then Henry would likely have already a Prince of Wales and a Duke of York in the cradle and no reason for annulling/delay the match, unless he favored a Spanish alliance over a French one and so Mary would be married to John of Denmark…

If Charles V had been willing to remarry after the death of Isabella who would be most likely to be his second wife?
Marguerite of France could work or some German princess. Anne or Amalia of Cleves is a pretty likely match in my opinion as Charles was always first a Burgundian and then everything else

Where did you get that one from? She had Elizabeth in 1533, a miscarriage in 1534 and another one in 1536, right?
my apologies, two "potential" miscarriages in 1534 (not three), since the dates mentioned are too far apart to be the same pregnancy (January 1534 and September 1534) if she conceived in November 1533 (the earliest she and Henry would've been intimate). Then there's the one in 1535 - if it's not just the result of a misfiled letter, since it's too early to be the boy she miscarried in January 1536 - which makes four potential children between January 1533 and January 1536.

think it’s likely that it was a combination of stress and lifestyle choices,
KoA was only under "stress" after 1514 when:

In 1514 Henry was boiling over with indignation at his double betrayal by the Catholic king; and it is not surprising that he vented some of his rage on the wife who was Ferdinand's representative. He reproached her, writes Peter Martyr from Ferdinand's Court, with her father's ill-faith, and taunted her with his own conquests. To this brutality Martyr attributes the premature birth of Catherine's fourth son towards the end of 1514. Henry, in fact, was preparing to cast off, not merely the Spanish alliance, but his Spanish wife. He was negotiating for a joint attack on Castile with Louis XII. and threatening the divorce of Catherine. "It is said," writes a Venetian from Rome in August, 1514, "that the King of England means to repudiate his present wife, the daughter of the King of Spain and his brother's widow, because he is unable to have children by her, and intends to marry a daughter of the French Duke of Bourbon.... He intends to annul his own marriage, and will obtain what he wants from the Pope as France did from Pope Julius II."
An annulment in 1514 could be an interesting POD, no? @isabella @Awkwardvulture @FalconHonour @VVD0D95

KoA was only under "stress" after 1514 when:

An annulment in 1514 could be an interesting POD, no? @isabella @Awkwardvulture @FalconHonour @VVD0D95
Yes, a really interesting one. Only I have no idea of who would be that daughter of the Duke of Bourbon as Charles III had no daughter. I have only two options: either Charles III’s sister Renee de Bourbon (who would become Duchess of Lorraine in 1515) or Madeleine de la Tour d’Auvergne (her mother, Jeanne of Bourbon-Vemdome, had been Duchess of Bourbon in her first marriage and would be likely still called with that title)

An annulment in 1514 could be an interesting POD, no?

I would like to see this scenario actually. Catherine can leave England and have a better life somewhere else. Perhaps as Manuel of Portugals third wife? Or regent for Castile.

Last edited:
An annulment in 1514 could be an interesting POD, no?

I would like to see this scenario actually. Catherine can leave England and have a better life somewhere else. Perhaps as Manuel of Portugals third wife? Or regent for Castile.
Catherine would still fight with all her strength against the annulment and hate that outcome…

Could be. I wonder if Ferdinand could not do more to ensure this did not happen?
Fernando is - despite ruling Naples - not Karl V. He can't box the pope in. Nor is he likely to even try. He'll be pissed about it, but he doesn't really have the wherewithal (AIUI) to do much about it?

Catherine would still fight with all her strength against the annulment and hate that outcome…
She would. But where OTL she had Mary to prove her argument against Henry...here she's got nada. The love of the common people, sure? But that's not going to be enough. Likely she ends up having to go home to Spain. And then the joke will be if she remarries (Fernando offers her to Louis XII after Anne of Brittany dies? She becomes Manuel's 3e wife? the duke of Calabria's? Or when Karl V shows up, she marries the margrave of Ansbach instead of Germaine) and winds up popping out kids no problem.

Fernando is - despite ruling Naples - not Karl V. He can't box the pope in. Nor is he likely to even try. He'll be pissed about it, but he doesn't really have the wherewithal (AIUI) to do much about it?

She would. But where OTL she had Mary to prove her argument against Henry...here she's got nada. The love of the common people, sure? But that's not going to be enough. Likely she ends up having to go home to Spain. And then the joke will be if she remarries (Fernando offers her to Louis XII after Anne of Brittany dies? She becomes Manuel's 3e wife? the duke of Calabria's? Or when Karl V shows up, she marries the margrave of Ansbach instead of Germaine) and winds up popping out kids no problem.
I doubt who she would be able to do it and she would be already 30 years old (or close to it) before being able to remarry so is unlikely who she will do it.

Yes, a really interesting one. Only I have no idea of who would be that daughter of the Duke of Bourbon as Charles III had no daughter. I have only two options: either Charles III’s sister Renee de Bourbon (who would become Duchess of Lorraine in 1515) or Madeleine de la Tour d’Auvergne (her mother, Jeanne of Bourbon-Vemdome, had been Duchess of Bourbon in her first marriage and would be likely still called with that title)
Assuming of course that Maximilian/Karl V don't get a foot in the door and offer Eleonore. Dorothea of Denmark (daughter of Frederik I) could also be an option, since this was around the time that English issues with Denmark were settled IIRC. Bona Sforza would be an outside candidate (Leo X tried to marry her off to both Carlo III of Savoy, Giuliano de Lorenzo and Lorenzo de Piero de Medici at various points) for the Habsburgs to offer as a proxy (Maximilian offered Henry the vicariate of Milan if he'd join the war against the French, so maybe?)

Assuming of course that Maximilian/Karl V don't get a foot in the door and offer Eleonore. Dorothea of Denmark (daughter of Frederik I) could also be an option, since this was around the time that English issues with Denmark were settled IIRC. Bona Sforza would be an outside candidate (Leo X tried to marry her off to both Carlo III of Savoy, Giuliano de Lorenzo and Lorenzo de Piero de Medici at various points) for the Habsburgs to offer as a proxy (Maximilian offered Henry the vicariate of Milan if he'd join the war against the French, so maybe?)
At that point Charles had just delayed indefinitely his match to Henry’s sister prompting the English King to break the engagement for marrying his sister to Louis XII. We are talking about the end of 1514 so I have doubt on Charles. Still Maximilian offering to Henry the choice between Eleanor and Bona is far from being unlikely (and if Louis lived a little longer, dying after some months still childless and butterflies prevented Mary’s remarriage to Brandon she could easily end in Vienna)