Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Hmm in terms of having kids pretty much off the bat, I’d say Maria and Anna Dorothea are at the top of the list. Anna Sophie would be a decent shohld for a prestigious kingly Protestant marriage but her young age does somewhat discount her I think
Of these, she and Maria of Nassau come with the best dowry (Maria's one including write off of Stuarts' debts during Interregnum).
Re. Henry IX, he either goes for Maria to settle dowry issue his sister's protests nonwithstanding, or honor the offer of Prince Conde and marry a cousin who Conde proposed him to marry while in France.
For some time I thought that Conde wanted Henry betrothal to Charlotte Louise, Mademoiselle de Dunois, but it seems an AH based on erroneous death date for the princess (1664 instead of 1646) on English wiki.

Given how stubborn Stuart brothers were sometimes when it came to decisions, both are likely.
Sound like Maria of Nassau is a much stronger candidate than I though and our Queen to be as Luise Marie is Catholic (and Henry would marry Catarina instead of her)
Rupert and Archduke Leopold lobbied the Austrian match for her as for a time it was not clear Felipe IV would leave thriving male issue, and as Spanish-Austrian PU was undesirable, it was lobbied that the young Emperor marries anybody else than heiress presumptive.
Then she could very well end in Vienna, considering the situation in Portugal… and if she end in Vienna under suggestions of Rupert, Mary could drop her objections to Maria for Henry, if that match come with benefit for her about her son’s guardianship

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
Sound like Maria of Nassau is a much stronger candidate than I though and our Queen to be as Luise Marie is Catholic (and Henry would marry Catarina instead of her)

Then she could very well end in Vienna, considering the situation in Portugal… and if she end in Vienna under suggestions of Rupert, Mary could drop her objections to Maria for Henry, if that match come with benefit for her about her son’s guardianship
Agreed and I think Henry given his staunch Protestantism likelt balks at marrying Catherine.

Isn't there already a thread for alternate noble marriages?
Not who for what I can remember… the only one to which I can think is for trees… We are talking about a possible marriages starting from a POD whose first direct consequences are altering some marriages so…

A thread, yes, but this is more fitting for TL drafts. It's just that discussion evolved into marriages:)))
Exactly
Agreed and I think Henry given his staunch Protestantism likelt balks at marrying Catherine.
Same for me

Last edited:
He did entertain an idea of Catholic marriage to Conde's relative who is also fittingly his cousin, but that was more out of respect to girl's family than anything. But when given a choise he'd rather marry his sister to Portugal than marry a Catholic himself.

VVD0D95

Banned
He did entertain an idea of Catholic marriage to Conde's relative who is also fittingly his cousin, but that was more out of respect to girl's family than anything. But when given a choise he'd rather marry his sister to Portugal than marry a Catholic himself.
Agreed, especially with those debts to orange hanging over him

If he will go for matches with Portugal at all. I can see him marrying Maria of Nassau (or one of the proxies offered to Spain) and marrying his sister in Vienna, specially if Mary remarried to Rupert…

By the way, ITTL, given that he is the last adult* male Stuart standing, Henry may actually invite Edward of Palatinate to England permanently - Rupert is not going to be around full time, as Dutch business needs managing, and Edward is the only other option, his Catholic leanings nonwithstanding.
We can also see Edward's (who likely is created Duke of Cambridge) kids marry differenly - Luise Marie to Duc d'Orleans (who can't marry Catherine Braganza under Treaty of Pyrenees; the "offensivly Papist" Duchess of Cambridge likely moves back to Paris to live with her) and Benedicte Henriette to Duke of Beja. Conde match for middle daughter is as OTL, because her aunt's Polish shenaningans are present (and given Henry is a friend to Prince of Conde, it's additional stimulus to give attention to his cousin).
*Esme Stuart, Duke of Richmond, may or may not survive TTL.

Last edited:
By the way, ITTL, given that he is the last adult* male Stuart standing, Henry may actually invite Edward of Palatinate to England permanently - Rupert is not going to be around full time, as Dutch business needs managing, and Edward is the only other option, his Catholic leanings nonwithstanding.
We can also see Edward's (who likely is created Duke of Cambridge) kids marry differenly - Luise Marie to Duc d'Orleans (who can't marry Catherine Braganza under Treaty of Pyrenees; the "offensivly Papist" Duchess of Cambridge likely moves back to Paris to live with her) and Benedicte Henriette to Duke of Beja. Conde match for middle daughter is as OTL, because her aunt's Polish shenaningans are present (and given Henry is a friend to Prince of Conde, it's additional stimulus to give attention to his cousin).
*Esme Stuart, Duke of Richmond, may or may not survive TTL.
That would be really interesting…
EDIT: I can see Henry pushing the Orléans match for Luise Marie and paying part of her dowry for compensating both her and Orleans for the lost matches with himself and his sister and sending Benedicte as proxy in Portugal

Last edited:
That speaking, I found an error/implausibility in your genealogy table, @isabella
Given that Karl Ludwig was actively mad at Rupert and was seemingly against his kids being in relationships of their heart desire, no way he's letting his daughter to marry Rupert's stepson.
The more plausible course of events is a switcheroo when Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel marries Prince of Orange (her father is a good friend of Rupert's) and Liselotte marries Christian V of Denmark. Which would mean that her dowry gets recycled from the dowry her brother gets, as a "zero sum game".

Last edited:
That speaking, I found an error/implausibility in your genealogy table, @isabella
Given that Karl Ludwig was actively mad at Rupert and was seemingly against his kids being in relationships of their heart desire, no way he's letting his daughter to marry Rupert's stepson.
The more plausible course of events is a switcheroo when Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel marries Prince of Orange (her father is a good friend of Rupert's) and Liselotte marries Christian V of Denmark. Which would mean that her dowry gets recycled from the dowry her brother gets, as a "zero sum game".
Oh, but hat already planned to let Charles die much earlier than OTL so Rupert would be the one to marry his niece and ward to his stepson

Is there anywhere I can find comparisons of the accuracy of 19th-century firearms? Something of the kind "A Lee-Enfield will hit a target such-and-such a size at such-and-such a distance x% of the time, a Martini-Henry will hit an equivalent target y% of the time, and a Brown Bess will only hit it z% of the time."

Doing some research into the 1866 French expedition into Korea, and looking at it in the context of my TL (link below) where France suffers a humiliating defeat in the Second Mexican Intervention. I'm wondering how plausible it is for France (still under Napoleon III) to put more force behind this expedition, oust the ruling Joseon dynasty, and essentially turn Korea into a French colony (ala French Indochina) or puppet (ala what they hoped to do with Mexico). What would have to go right for France in order for this to happen? Or is the idea of French success here so wildly implausible that I should just let it go?

Inspired by this thread (but perhaps a bit easier to accomplish):

What if ex-Confederate disenfranchisement was held onto for much longer? Probably avoid Andrew Johnson, for one. Or have him stick to his earlier pardon policy rather than shifting to conciliate Rebs to support him against Republicans.

What if, in 1600, the Wanli Emperor commands general Chen Lin to either a) subjugate Japan in retaliation for the Imjin War or b) lead an Eigth Treasure Voyage?

In either case, he also gifts Chen Lin a copy of Li Shizhen's recently published Compedium of Materia Medica.

Last edited:
Inspired by this thread (but perhaps a bit easier to accomplish):

What if ex-Confederate disenfranchisement was held onto for much longer? Probably avoid Andrew Johnson, for one. Or have him stick to his earlier pardon policy rather than shifting to conciliate Rebs to support him against Republicans.
They'd probably continue to keep resisting as violently as possible against Reconstruction and the political power of emancipated black people, but with more electoral restrictions against them, they might be forced to concentrate their efforts and have less of the wide-ranging "Redemption" of OTL.
AHC : Uniter ruthenia
What are we defining as Ruthenia here?

Last edited: