Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

VVD0D95

Banned
What if Kharak Singh didn't die in 1840, but instead lived to be as old as his father had been when he died? I've heard differing accounts of him. At once he seems to have been a very good soldier and commander (a good thing with the British sneaking around) at another he seems simple. As with everything I think the truth is perhaps in the middle. Which would be intriguing.

WI Francis I of France had a daughter with his wife Eleanor of Austria

@FouDuRoy was it you that said you could talk a lot about this family ?
Yes. that's me.
But, actually, we already talked about this here:
(And you were already the one who opened the thread.)

I had suggested the hypothetical daughter may marry Edward VI of England.
I think he is the most likely husband for her.
Would they manage to produce a child before Edward's death? If they do, who would be regent? Would the queen mother be allowed to raise the child?

If I am wrong and she does not marry Edward, I am unsure who she may marry. Considering all the trouble to find a husband for Francis I's OTL daughter Marguerite, I guess it would be uneasy to find for her too (though, of course, she would have the advantage to be younger than Marguerite, which is the reason why she may be a suitable bride for Edward).

Yes. that's me.
But, actually, we already talked about this here:
(And you were already the one who opened the thread.)

I had suggested the hypothetical daughter may marry Edward VI of England.
I think he is the most likely husband for her.
Would they manage to produce a child before Edward's death? If they do, who would be regent? Would the queen mother be allowed to raise the child?

If I am wrong and she does not marry Edward, I am unsure who she may marry. Considering all the trouble to find a husband for Francis I's OTL daughter Marguerite, I guess it would be uneasy to find for her too (though, of course, she would have the advantage to be younger than Marguerite, which is the reason why she may be a suitable bride for Edward).
Ah I know I opened that thread, but in that thread I also suggested she had sons, whereas the new question is if Francis and Eleanor only manage to have one daughter. The daughter marrying Edward VI is likely, but...he died at just barely fifteen, and boys were only allowed to marry at fourteen. Also, with a hypothetical Tudor-Valois-Habsburg child on the throne of England, there's no way the child isn't OP of 16th century Europe...
If she is too old for Edward (entirely possible) then perhaps Eleanor can arrange for this girl to wed Maximilian II?

The daughter marrying Edward VI is likely, but...he died at just barely fifteen, and boys were only allowed to marry at fourteen.
He was closer to his sixteenth birthday than to the fifteenth one. But, sure, he would have only very little time to marry and impregnate his wife.

If she is too old for Edward (entirely possible) then perhaps Eleanor can arrange for this girl to wed Maximilian II?
Francis and Eleanor married the 30 july 1530 and Edward was born the 12 october 1537. It means she would be at most six years older than him. Maybe I am wrong but I do not see this as "too old". Mary I was eleven years older than Philip II.
As for Maximilian II, yeah, that could fit. But would Maximilian prefer her over Maria who was Charles V's own daughter?

Thank You most kindly for sharing this! Might I please ask if you have given names to these diverse States?
Most of them are straightforward. The great northwestern state is Borealia. The state in BC is New Georgia. East of that is Ponoka, and then Saskatchewan and Manitoba, then Canada West and Canada East. The Maritimes should be self-explanatory.

Thank You most kindly for letting me know - 'New Georgia' has a ring to it (and it's a little bit amusing to imagine New Georgia ragging Old Georgia about being named for old King George, while the new kid is named for Mister George Washington).

He was closer to his sixteenth birthday than to the fifteenth one. But, sure, he would have only very little time to marry and impregnate his wife.

Francis and Eleanor married the 30 july 1530 and Edward was born the 12 october 1537. It means she would be at most six years older than him. Maybe I am wrong but I do not see this as "too old". Mary I was eleven years older than Philip II.
As for Maximilian II, yeah, that could fit. But would Maximilian prefer her over Maria who was Charles V's own daughter?
It would depend largely on political situation and the dowry of the girl. At most being six years older is a big deal, see what happened with Katherine of Aragon who was six years older than her second husband. Also, Mary I was already menopausal when she finally got to marry...

It would depend largely on political situation and the dowry of the girl.
The political situation is precisely what makes me believe this marriage is likely. In OTL, Edward VI was supposed to marry Francis I's granddaughter Elisabeth but he had to wait for her to grow up. If there is an available grown up French princess only several years older than him, I see no reason why Edward would not marry her.

At most being six years older is a big deal, see what happened with Katherine of Aragon who was six years older than her second husband.
You mean the fact that most of their children died?
I am 100% sure this has nothing to do with the age gap between them.

Also, Mary I was already menopausal when she finally got to marry...
Not menopausal but likely with an ovarian cancer. It is true, however, that her age probably did not help.
However, here, the problem is not about the age gap but about the age itself (and about the cancer).
Mary was close to forty.
The daughter of Francis and Eleanor would be around twenty. I fail to see how her age may be a problem.

Last edited:
Might I please ask if 'The Citizen Army' or 'The Citizen Navy' works for the name of a Revolutionary Regime's armed forces?

After a great religious revolt in their empire, could the Ottoman sultans have set up a Muslim clergy under their control?
What form would this clergy have? What consequences would it have on Islam?

Another question. If the Jews of the Ottoman Empire were expelled between the 17th and 18th centuries, where would they go? Europe? But it is not the most tolerant land. Persia? What was the relationship between Shiism and Judaism?
Another place?

Persia? What was the relationship between Shiism and Judaism?
Depends on the era in Iran, but generally the Jews were a begrudgingly-tolerated minority so long as they remained loyal and paid their jizya tax. At times they held various government positions and although they underwent local and national persecutions during tumultuous events, a significant number managed to acquire wealth.

How much did the Mongol Invasions of central Europe (mainly Poland and Hungary) affect Poland's decision to invite German-speaking settlers and Ashkenazim into the Piast Dynasty's lands? From what I can tell the Polish rulers desperately needed new subjects, taxpayers, and labor to help rebuild areas depopulated by the Mongol invasion. However, I've found very little English-language material online about whether this process was successful, and how long it took medieval Poland to recover in terms of GDP and population from disasters like the Mongol Invasions and the Black Death.

If the Mongols hadn't gotten as far westward, would there have been slower German eastward settlement?

Might I please ask if anyone knows which British Generals would have been available for service in a 'War of 1812' scenario that kicked off a few years early? (in AD 1809); I assume that the Peninsula would have remained the key priority, but I'd be surprised if a modest reinforcement were not sent out to emphasise that Great Britain were quite willing to knock heads with the United States even while Britannia had both hands full dealing with General Bonaparte & un-friends.