Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Was PTSD an issue for ancient and medieval armies? It seems like melee combat has even stronger emotions than ranged combat since you are killing your enemies up close and personal. Mental health science was also not invented yet.

I was wondering something while typing my response about an Orthodox-Catholic marriage in the list of alternate monarchs thread and it got me wondering something:

There were several Catholic candidates considered for the Greek throne OTL, Napoléon II, Pedro I of Brasil (was another person it was offered to in the 1830s), the duke of Aosta (after Othon was deposed) and, most notably, Othon. Othon reportedly caused great controversy by refusing to convert to Orthodoxy and remaining a convinced Roman Catholic- the palace's Orthodox chapel royal had to be deconsecrated before a Catholic service and rededicated afterwards.

But what would've happened if Othon/one of the other Catholic candidates, had become "Greek Catholic" instead? If the ruling dynasty of Greece were to be Greek Catholic instead of Orthodox, would that be considered "acceptable" if they're not willing to be Orthodox? Or would it still provoke intense resentment from the Orthodox given that the Greek Catholic church is a minority?

@Lascaris @Basileus_Komnenos @ByzantineCaesar @Earl Marshal

Last edited:
I think Victoria can also be named Katherine due to her parents naming her Alexandrina, the names Alexandra and Katherine are connected to Catherine of Alexandria.

Despite many Slavs immigrating to the US during the late 19th and early 20th centuries very few Americans today bear Slavic-derived names or even any diminutives. I know it was typical for immigrants during this period to Anglicize their names, provided they had an equivalent in English, usually for those of Christian or Germanic origin. I've also read how in cases of there not being an English equivalent the immigrant in question would just change their name completely, usually to a phonetically similar Anglo one. This seems to have been a fairly common occurrence among some Greeks and East Asians. I know this change is most likely very inconsequential but I still think it's fun to imagine how some names might've survived immigration or instead been altered.

Despite many Slavs immigrating to the US during the late 19th and early 20th centuries very few Americans today bear Slavic-derived names or even any diminutives. I know it was typical for immigrants during this period to Anglicize their names, provided they had an equivalent in English, usually for those of Christian or Germanic origin. I've also read how in cases of there not being an English equivalent the immigrant in question would just change their name completely, usually to a phonetically similar Anglo one. This seems to have been a fairly common occurrence among some Greeks and East Asians. I know this change is most likely very inconsequential but I still think it's fun to imagine how some names might've survived immigration or instead been altered.
Very few? The Midwest, Pennsylvania, and parts of New England are absolutely full of people with Polish surnames. Yes, some did Anglicize their names but often it was recognizably Polish, or at the very least Slavic (since respelling it can make it look Czech, which of course there were many immigrants from there too). It's not uncommon to encounter people from those parts of the US with names ending in -ski, -czek, etc. and common Polish surnames like "Nowak" or "Kowalski" are readily found.

There's plenty of people with Greek surnames too in New York, parts of New England, and Florida (Tarpon Springs, more or less founded by sponge divers from the Greek islands).

Very few? The Midwest, Pennsylvania, and parts of New England are absolutely full of people with Polish surnames. Yes, some did Anglicize their names but often it was recognizably Polish, or at the very least Slavic (since respelling it can make it look Czech, which of course there were many immigrants from there too). It's not uncommon to encounter people from those parts of the US with names ending in -ski, -czek, etc. and common Polish surnames like "Nowak" or "Kowalski" are readily found.

There's plenty of people with Greek surnames too in New York, parts of New England, and Florida (Tarpon Springs, more or less founded by sponge divers from the Greek islands).
Ah sorry, I should have specified given/first names. I've seen/know plenty of -ski surnames in my neck of the woods as well.

What's something that's usually lauded as a horrible decision by most people today, but was actually a great one?
Military reforms post Crisis of the Third Century by Ancient Rome. Most people today think of this as the Roman Army becoming worse, but the comitatenses/limitanei system was more mobile and arguably better at dealing with the frontier threat than just keeping prime legions (which would have been too expensive anyway).

Military reforms post Crisis of the Third Century by Ancient Rome. Most people today think of this as the Roman Army becoming worse, but the comitatenses/limitanei system was more mobile and arguably better at dealing with the frontier threat than just keeping prime legions (which would have been too expensive anyway).
Who is arguing the 4th century army became worse? Genuinely asking, I've never heard that take before

Throughout the 15th century there was talk of a Crusade against the Ottomans, but nothing ever came to fruition. Could a crusade have happened in the mid to late 1400s though?

Throughout the 15th century there was talk of a Crusade against the Ottomans, but nothing ever came to fruition. Could a crusade have happened in the mid to late 1400s though?

well technically after the crusade of 1456 ( 1 ), there were projects in this regard conceived by Pius II ( who when he died in Otl, was about to leave on an expedition against the Ottomans, which could have had all the trappings of a crusade ) then we have the failed attempts under the pontificates of Sixtus IV and Innocent VIII, so I would say that there are good reasons to think that a new crusade could actually be organized

1) was organized by the Papacy and by János Hunyadi and Giovanni da Capistrano to oppose the continuous Ottoman expansion ( they had now arrived to besiege Belgrade ) and try if possible to recover Constantinople, Pius II and Giovanni di Capistrano took care of organizing everything, also involving the principles of the HRE, who promised assistance in the Diets of Regensburg and Frankfurt, finally a league was also formed between Venice, Florence and Milan, but in the end no concrete help was achieved

How possible would be that a different handling or development of the Chanak crisis by the British government or from their troops commandant in the terrain--- Would lead to the Nationalist Turkish troops troops engaging in combat with the British of the occupation zone and/or needing to invade East Thrace and/or continental Greek to enforce their claim?

Last edited:
What is the plausibility of A British Republic founded sometime in the region of 1816-1866, and what is the plausibility included in that of it retaining colonial ideals? (This is running along the United states of America having a much more unstable history, including an Alexander Hamilton and a Henry Clay presidency)

Last edited: