Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Assuming several things go right, how far south can Scotland's border be pushed before it stops being "Scotland"?
IIRC King David during the Anarchy did manage to de-facto take over a good chunk of the north of England something like that. Maybe down to around the rough area of York or a bit further south.

If the Byzantine Empire survived until the modern day, what would the country be called? For instance, even though Japan still has an emperor, no one calls it the "Empire of Japan".

If the Byzantine Empire survived until the modern day, what would the country be called? For instance, even though Japan still has an emperor, no one calls it the "Empire of Japan".
Officially it could be "State of the Romans" but probably everyone would just call it "Greece" (much to the annoyance of many of its citizens).

Why did the Catholic Church ban cousin marriages/strengthened women's rights to property, yet the Eastern Orthodox Church didn't do the same things(at least until a while later)?

was already a burgraviate which is "roughly" the same thing. Although English tends to translate "burgrave" as "viscount" and "margrave" as "marquess", the burgrave, margrave, landgrave ranks- AFAIK- were roughly interchangeable, it just depended on where the territory was located.
So could a younger son of Maximilian I become the Burgrave?

So could a younger son of Maximilian I become the Burgrave?
Enfeoffing a new lord with control of the city itself would abrogate the imperial immediacy of the burgher government. Installing him in the old burgraviate would mean supplanting Brandenburg-Ansbach and/or Brandenburg-Bayreuth. Unless there happens to be a power vacuum there, I think making the office more than titular is more trouble than it's worth.

Enfeoffing a new lord with control of the city itself would abrogate the imperial immediacy of the burgher government. Installing him in the old burgraviate would mean supplanting Brandenburg-Ansbach and/or Brandenburg-Bayreuth. Unless there happens to be a power vacuum there, I think making the office more than titular is more trouble than it's worth.
Well, everyone says the kid would need to have a title in order to marry Catherine of Aragon (which is one of the goals in my TL), so I do plan for a potential power vacuum to happen.

agreed. Although perhaps- strong perhaps- there are two (maybe three) potential alternatives:
The first is when Sigismund of Brandenburg, Margrave of Bayreuth, dies. He was in imperial service, close to Maximilian and never married (although there was a proposal to marry him to one of the daughters of Ivan III and Sophia Palaiologina). When he died, Bayreuth passed back to his brother (technically to his nephew), Kasimir Bloodhound. If, for whatever reason, Sigismund were to either die earlier (shortly after Albrecht Achilles in 1486, before the situation was settled) or later, during the War of the Landshut Succession (where Sigismund's brother took the side of his brother-in-law, the duke of Bavaria-Landshut against Maximilian), then it is not impossible that Max could have the Reichstag rule Ansbach is a lapsed enemy fief. In all likelihood, the boy will be made "duke of Franconia".

Option two: Philipp of Baden-Hachberg-Sausenberg. While he only died in 1503- leaving a single daughter- his Burgundian possessions were seized in 1493 already for siding with the king of France (although he'd been drifting there since the Battle of Nancy). Max could simply decide to enfeoff his second son with those lands (principality of Neuchätel, the lordships of Rötteln and Badenweiler, the county of Freiburg and landgraviate of Sausenberg, lands in the Breisgau as well as cantons Bern, Fribourg, Solothurn and Lucerne).

Last option: Habsburg Württemberg a generation earlier. Per the treaty that acknowledged Eberhard I as duke (in 1492), stipulates that in the event of the line's failure, the duchy was to revert to imperial hands (OTL the treaty allowed for it to pass to Eberhard I's bastards if it came to that eventuality). Eberhard I's only child (a daughter) died at three months in 1475. Eberhard II had no children (and was driven from Württemberg in 1498 already). Eberhard II's brother (Heinrich) was mad. And his first wife died in childbed giving birth to the "Swabian Henry VIII" (Ulrich of Württemberg). The current house of Württemberg descends from his son by his second wife. However, Heinrich's "madness" was likely PTSD, dating from when Charles the Bold took him prisoner in 1474 and held him captive for the next three years (and it doesn't sound like a pleasant captivity, from what I can find) since there were death threats, and (no doubt) other psychological tortures. If Heinrich's either executed for real (he was led out to the block, headsman's axe was upraised when his jailer called the whole thing off), or he is literally mad (Friedrich III signed that Eberhard was to act as his brother's custodian), when the Württembergers revolt in 1498, Max could simply make conditional of his support for Eberhard II that he name his second son as heir to Württemberg.

agreed. Although perhaps- strong perhaps- there are two (maybe three) potential alternatives:
The first is when Sigismund of Brandenburg, Margrave of Bayreuth, dies. He was in imperial service, close to Maximilian and never married (although there was a proposal to marry him to one of the daughters of Ivan III and Sophia Palaiologina). When he died, Bayreuth passed back to his brother (technically to his nephew), Kasimir Bloodhound. If, for whatever reason, Sigismund were to either die earlier (shortly after Albrecht Achilles in 1486, before the situation was settled) or later, during the War of the Landshut Succession (where Sigismund's brother took the side of his brother-in-law, the duke of Bavaria-Landshut against Maximilian), then it is not impossible that Max could have the Reichstag rule Ansbach is a lapsed enemy fief. In all likelihood, the boy will be made "duke of Franconia".

Option two: Philipp of Baden-Hachberg-Sausenberg. While he only died in 1503- leaving a single daughter- his Burgundian possessions were seized in 1493 already for siding with the king of France (although he'd been drifting there since the Battle of Nancy). Max could simply decide to enfeoff his second son with those lands (principality of Neuchätel, the lordships of Rötteln and Badenweiler, the county of Freiburg and landgraviate of Sausenberg, lands in the Breisgau as well as cantons Bern, Fribourg, Solothurn and Lucerne).

Last option: Habsburg Württemberg a generation earlier. Per the treaty that acknowledged Eberhard I as duke (in 1492), stipulates that in the event of the line's failure, the duchy was to revert to imperial hands (OTL the treaty allowed for it to pass to Eberhard I's bastards if it came to that eventuality). Eberhard I's only child (a daughter) died at three months in 1475. Eberhard II had no children (and was driven from Württemberg in 1498 already). Eberhard II's brother (Heinrich) was mad. And his first wife died in childbed giving birth to the "Swabian Henry VIII" (Ulrich of Württemberg). The current house of Württemberg descends from his son by his second wife. However, Heinrich's "madness" was likely PTSD, dating from when Charles the Bold took him prisoner in 1474 and held him captive for the next three years (and it doesn't sound like a pleasant captivity, from what I can find) since there were death threats, and (no doubt) other psychological tortures. If Heinrich's either executed for real (he was led out to the block, headsman's axe was upraised when his jailer called the whole thing off), or he is literally mad (Friedrich III signed that Eberhard was to act as his brother's custodian), when the Württembergers revolt in 1498, Max could simply make conditional of his support for Eberhard II that he name his second son as heir to Württemberg.
I like the first option. Thanks, Kellan!