Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Something I doodled on a highschool literature hand out (a short story my Checkov):

Britain, Ottomans, Prussia, Netherlands vs Russia, France, Austria
Apart from the Dutch participation, that's the Great War lineup in Malê Rising.

Any particular era in mind?

Not really sure. It was in countryball style. The Prussian flag is the one with stripes which would indicate at least 1820s. Britain does seem to be without Ireland, but that is probably just the highschool me not bothering with that detail (then again, high school me probably applied the black-white-black Prussian flag retroactively as well). France is a tricolour so must be after the French Revolution.

(the choice of countries and flags may mostly be me only having a blue pen, a pencil and a red pencil at the time. Thought the tricolour rather than the Fleur-de-lis royal flag was an actual choice, the same paper has the French Royal flag on the reverse (fighting Britain))

I think the most likely answer is sometime in the 1860s.

Apart from the Dutch participation, that's the Great War lineup in Malê Rising.

Who won that one?

Last edited:
Since Belarusians claim Lithuanian heritage we can call Belarusian Slavic Lithuanian similar to Scots Gaelic in another timeline.

Last edited:
Since Belarusians claim Lithuanian heritage we can call Belarusian Slavic Lithuanian similar to Scots Gaelic in another timeline.
Wouldn't it make more sense if they were just plain "Lithuanian" and (Baltic) Lithuanians were the ones distinguished considering their unique language and smaller numbers (especially given that a bit of northern Ukraine and parts of Russia could be Belarusian depending on the Grand Duchy of Lithuania's borders)? Although I can see the argument from a writing standpoint given it's a confusing divergence from OTL.

Wouldn't it make more sense if they were just plain "Lithuanian" and (Baltic) Lithuanians were the ones distinguished considering their unique language and smaller numbers (especially given that a bit of northern Ukraine and parts of Russia could be Belarusian depending on the Grand Duchy of Lithuania's borders)? Although I can see the argument from a writing standpoint given it's a confusing divergence from OTL.
Or Lithuanian Ruthenian.

An interesting TL would be one where the Baltic languages almost gets fully replaced by the Slavic languages (like OTL Irish and Scottish Gaelic) save for patches of "Balt-tacht" holdouts from the Baltic sea to Polesia (i.e. much wider than the OTL spread of the Baltic languages).

An interesting TL would be one where the Baltic languages almost gets fully replaced by the Slavic languages (like OTL Irish and Scottish Gaelic) save for patches of "Balt-tacht" holdouts from the Baltic sea to Polesia (i.e. much wider than the OTL spread of the Baltic languages).
Probably would be similar to the epidemics/warfare that caused the extinction of Old Prussian and eroded the eastern linguistic border of the Lithuanian language, which means it might extend into OTL southern Estonia. It could make a very multiethnic region if it occurred in some alternate PLC since I'd imagine the Baltic-speaking peoples (and southern Estonians) would assimilate to speaking either German, Polish, or Belarusian depending on the local situation, social class, etc. I think mostly it would be German and Polish.

What did the Venetians and Genoans actually do? Did they offer aid, or even an alliance, to the Ottomans in a way?

Only thing they would have to do would be nothing.

Timur doesn't have the boats to get to Rumelia. Venice and Genoa do.

Anyway, I don't think Timur ever intended to annex Anatolia. Indeed, he splintered it, giving states that Beyazid had annexed their independence + dividing the remnant Ottoman Anatolia between two of Beyazid's sons.
He had plans for China, spending more time in Anatolia would be counterproductive for that.

As for his heirs, they were busy in Central Asia during the Ottoman Interregnum and after it was over I don't think Timurids could have conquered Anatolia. Timurids also had their own infighting, also external enemies such as the Qara Qoyunlu and Aq Qoyunlu. The conquering types among them also mostly focused on India rather than going west of Persia.

How can I have an earlier American Civil War, ideally, a time period in which the Southerns/Confederates can win?
Have the Republicans win 1856, Frémont was a Radical so he could get the South railed up and secede. Then have the European Powers intervene after their supply of cotton exports is stalled.

@Catspoke it still makes sense for France to sell Louisiana if Amiens holds due to Haiti among other reasons. The issue I see is Malta. Would Britain actually part with it in a timely manner?

Anyway, I don't think Timur ever intended to annex Anatolia. Indeed, he splintered it, giving states that Beyazid had annexed their independence + dividing the remnant Ottoman Anatolia between two of Beyazid's sons.
He had plans for China, spending more time in Anatolia would be counterproductive for that.

As for his heirs, they were busy in Central Asia during the Ottoman Interregnum and after it was over I don't think Timurids could have conquered Anatolia. Timurids also had their own infighting, also external enemies such as the Qara Qoyunlu and Aq Qoyunlu. The conquering types among them also mostly focused on India rather than going west of Persia.

Turns out all the worse for the Timurids and better for the Ottomans in the long run, didn't it, considering that these buffer states get annexed by the Ottomans once they've risen from the ashes?
They ferried the leadership and army to safety in Rumelia
Wonder what their motivation was for doing so..

Is an ATL coalition between the Timurids, Mamelukes, Byzantines, Venetians, and Genoans plausible?

@Catspoke it still makes sense for France to sell Louisiana if Amiens holds due to Haiti among other reasons. The issue I see is Malta. Would Britain actually part with it in a timely manner?
Yeah, if the Oceans are open, and are so for several years, maybe France still makes an play to re-control Haiti, and to continue to hold New Orleans. (Napoleon still has to play war someplace).

It seems even if Malta ends up under British control permanently then, maybe its a small price to pay for open access to the Ocean (and defacto control over Switzerland)???? (But maybe that is hindsight thinking, knowing the French/Spanish fleets weren't near equals to the British, since Trafalgar hasn't happened yet????, Malta still seems important)