Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Grey Wolf

Donor
@Catspoke it still makes sense for France to sell Louisiana if Amiens holds due to Haiti among other reasons. The issue I see is Malta. Would Britain actually part with it in a timely manner?
But Napoleon WAS readying an army to send out there, the British were blockading it, preventing it leaving.

Sense might be one thing, but retconning what was actually happening is another

The Spanish Treasure Fleets as I understand things after picking up their cargoes converged on Havana, re-victualled, and the sailed back to Spain. Does anyone know offhand roughly what time of the year they arrived in Cuba and then set out across the Atlantic? This is to do with the Seven Years' War.

The Spanish Treasure Fleets as I understand things after picking up their cargoes converged on Havana, re-victualled, and the sailed back to Spain. Does anyone know offhand roughly what time of the year they arrived in Cuba and then set out across the Atlantic? This is to do with the Seven Years' War.
They generally tried to avoid the seasons storms, so no sailing around hurricane season or winter.

Regarding that last leg, Wikipedia has pointed me to a shipwreck in Florida in July and that "In August 1750, at least three Spanish merchantmen ran aground in North Carolina during a hurricane."

Who succeeds Charles XIII as King of Sweden without Jean Bernadotte?
Depends a lot on the ifs ands or buts. It's not impossible that another french marshal could be found, a lot of the Swedes wanted a "warrior king" and the French had the best army in Europe at the time. It'll take someone with a bith of a knack for charm and bluff like Bernadotte though.

If not a french marshal, then the natural replacement for Crown Prince Charles August is his older brother, Frederick Christian. He candidated for it otl until Frederick VI opposed him, since the King believed he might be elected himself. Frederick VI's candidacy was never really considered a viable option in Sweden though (afaik) and if this becomes clear Frederick Christian might give it a go anyway. If he dies as per otl in 1814, then his natural successor is his eldest son Christian August, otl claimant to Schleswig-Holstein during the three-years war.

If neither a french marshal nor the Augustenburgs, then perhaps Charles XIII's cousin Peter, in 1810 regent of the Duchy of Oldenburg for his mentally ill brother. The problem might be the continental Holstein-Gottorp's close ties to Russia, against whom Sweden is intensily revanschist at the time.

Finally, if truly no heir can be found, and keeping the monarchy is a must, they may just have to bring back Gustav IV's son, the otl Duke of Wasa. This would probably be the last of the last ditches, since basically none of the men who had deposed his father would be in favour of it, but if enough time passes and Sweden falls into a succession crisis he might have a chance.

Other than these I can't really think of any. You could perhaps go all the way back to the Hesse's and find a prince there, but at that point you may as well just throw a dart at a map and pick some prince from wherever you hit.

They generally tried to avoid the seasons storms, so no sailing around hurricane season or winter.
A quick search has hurricane season running from the start of June to the end of November. The siege of Havana started in June so if I want the British to have a chance of capturing the fleet, either on purpose or by chance, looks like I need to change the dates of the conflict a bit. Thanks.

Concerning an independent Confederacy, how would they deal with Southern Unionists stranded after their independence? The Southerns who joined the Union and sympathized with the North, would they launch guerrilla warfare against them?

So, I need the help of the hivemind for a bit.

I am looking for a good nickname for an early medieval Western monarch. He's the sort who, had he lived longer, would have likely gone down as 'the Great' but due to ill-fate, he was cut down young. Furthermore, the fact that he seemed to be ushering in a Golden Age was well recognized by the general population, but his death was followed by a terrible Civil War (think of, if Charlemagne had been cut down in the Saxon Wars and his death was followed by a period similar to the English Anarchy for a few centuries later)

Would the scheme of Chichikov as described in the novel "Dead Souls" by Nikolai Gogol be possible in 19th century USA or Brazil. So, someone buys up dead slaves, officially registrated as still living and uses them as a collateral for a bank- or stateloan?

Grey Wolf

Donor

I am looking for a good nickname for an early medieval Western monarch. He's the sort who, had he lived longer, would have likely gone down as 'the Great' but due to ill-fate, he was cut down young. Furthermore, the fact that he seemed to be ushering in a Golden Age was well recognized by the general population, but his death was followed by a terrible Civil War (think of, if Charlemagne had been cut down in the Saxon Wars and his death was followed by a period similar to the English Anarchy for a few centuries later)
Illustrious

Fair(e) which at that time was used to mean good and worthy, rather than refer to their hair colour

Grey Wolf

Donor
Concerning an independent Confederacy, how would they deal with Southern Unionists stranded after their independence? The Southerns who joined the Union and sympathized with the North, would they launch guerrilla warfare against them?
Well, it depends how these unionists themselves behaved, I would think.

1) If they stayed out of the Confederacy, i.e. remained with the Union army, they would have any property seized, even if held by their widows, wives
2) If they came back and caused trouble, they would be individually rounded up and tried
3) If they swore an oath of allegiance they would probably be taken on their word, but under probation, unless they had committed any notorious crimes

In general, I would think that any Southerner who had signed up with the North and who remained WITH THE NORTHERN FORCES at the end of the war, would have to think carefully as to whether to make a new life in the Union, or try to make amends and reclaim any sequestrated property. Part of that consideration would be whether family remained in the South, and if that family still held the property, perhaps pending court cases, or conclusion of hostilities.

If the Southerner was in a CSA prison camp (i.e. captured whilst in Union service) it would be a lot harder for them to return North with any Union Prisoners of War who originated in the North. They would not have a "home state" there to return to, and it would be tempting to swear allegiance to the CSA and petition for restitution of any aeized family property.

WI Uthman's son with Ruqayya bint Muhammad survived to adulthood? WI Qasim ibn Muhammad survived to adulthood and marriage with children?
You should join this thread:

Difficult to know what to suggest without knowing what he did in his short reign. If, like Charlemagne, he was a warrior, then something like __ the Bold or __ the Lion might work. If he was seen as a good and lawful king, then maybe __ the Just.
You can find lots of other ideas here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monarchs_by_nickname

so here's an idea, could a successful raid on harper's ferry indirectly lead to john bell becoming president? a slave revolt would without a doubt make the republicans a bit unpopular, perhaps Douglas wins California, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Ohio and Indiana all of which were very close and could've gone to him, not to mention bell nearly won Maryland, North Carolina, Louisiana and Georgia it's possible that with a slave revolt in living memory (and possibly still on-going) the people would want a candidate that can keep the union together, none of the candidates would reach the 156 majority so it would go to the house, perhaps bell is chosen as a compromise? what are your thoughts?