Million Dollar Mania: An Alternate WWF Timeline

Late 1992: SummerSlam to Starrcade
July 18, 1992
Superstars of Wrestling

Gene Okerlund interviews former tag team champions The Rockers. When Okerlund asks how the team is feeling since losing the titles at WrestleMania, Jannetty states that everything is just fine. Michaels smugly states that he doesn’t need the tag team championship and walks away, leaving Jannetty to finish the interview alone.

August 1, 1992
Superstars of Wrestling

The returning Brutus Beefcake hosts a new segment called The Barber Shop, where he interviews WWF superstars. His first guests are The Rockers, Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty. When he asks Jannetty what is really going on between the teammates, Jannetty responds that he’ll have to ask Michaels. Michaels states that he has been carrying the team for the better part of two years, and is sick and tired of Jannetty whining all the time. Jannetty tries to calm him down, offering to do whatever it takes to make Michaels happy. Michaels says that the only thing that will make him happy is to see Jannetty gone. With that comment, he delivers his trademark superkick and sends Jannetty through the window. Commentator Bobby Heenan says, “Did you see that? Jannetty just tried to dive through the window to escape! What a coward!”
Michaels Jannetty.jpg

August 8, 1992
Superstars of Wrestling

Bobby Heenan claims that Marty Jannetty has offered to retire from the WWF so he won’t have to face Shawn Michaels at SummerSlam. Vince McMahon says that he doubts that very much. Over the next few weeks, a retirement match between the two is set for the pay-per-view.

August 29, 1992
Summerslam
- from Wembley Stadium in London
Rikishi defeats Papa Shango
The New Foundation scores a victory over The Nasty Boys
The Mountie beats Tatanka
Kerry Von Erich defeats Rick Martel
For the Tag Team Championship:
Ted DiBiase and Mr. Perfect retain the titles against The Steiner Brothers
Bam Bam Bigelow defeats Kamala
Bigelow Kamala.jpg

In a retirement match, Shawn Michaels beats former partner Marty Jannetty. Michaels is accompanied by his new manager, Sherri Martel
Michaels Jannetty 2.jpg

Yokozuna defeats Roddy Piper
For the Intercontinental Championship:
Davey Boy Smith defeats champion Bret Hart in the most popular match of the night
Bulldog IC.jpg

The main event features WWF Champion Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage taking on Jake Roberts and The Undertaker. The match ends in a disqualification victory for the heroes when Yokozuna interferes

October 31, 1992
Halloween Havoc

Ricky Steamboat reclaims the World title from Rick Rude

November 14, 1992
Saturday Night’s Main Event

Shawn Michaels challenges champion Davey Boy Smith and wins the belt
Michaels belt (3).jpg

Roddy Piper defeats Jake Roberts
The Steiner Brothers defeat Ted DiBiase and Mr. Pefect for the titles
Steiners Belts.jpg

The Undertaker defeats Randy Savage
The main event, for the World Heavyweight Championship:
Hulk Hogan defends his title against The Mountie. Yokozuna interferes in the match, providing Hogan with another victory via disqualification

November 25, 1992
Survivor Series

The first match of the evening features Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect, Greg Valentine, and The Nasty Boys fighting WWF Tag Team champions The Steiner Brothers, Tatanka and The Bushwhackers. As in every other year of this event, The Bushwhackers are the first to be eliminated. Valentine is next to go, followed by Sags, Tatanka, Knobbs and then Rick Steiner. Scott Steiner does his best, but eventually falls to the former champions. Survivors: Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect

The next match has Bret and Owen Hart team with Jim Neidhart, Davey Boy Smith and Kerry Von Erich. They battle Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels, Rick Martel, The Mountie and Demolition. Crush is first to go, followed by Neidhart and Von Erich. Then Smash, The Mountie, Martel and finally Michaels are eliminated. Survivors: Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith

Next, Randy Savage teams with Jim Duggan, Hercules and The Headbangers to square off against Berzerker, Papa Shango, Big Bossman, Haku and Kamala. Mosh loses to Kamala, then Thrash loses to Haku. Shango is next to go, followed by Bossman, Kamala and Duggan. Savage and Hercules then defeat Haku and Berzerker to win! Survivors: Randy Savage, Hercules

Hogan Piper 2.jpg

The next match features WWF Champion Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper, a returning Brutus Beefcake, Tito Santana and Bam Bam Bigelow fighting Yokozuna, Jake Roberts, The Undertaker and The Powers of Pain. Beefcake and Warlord are the first eliminated, via countout. Then The Undertaker pins Santana and then Bigelow. Piper defeats Barbarian via sleeper hold. Yokozuna beats Piper, and then The Undertaker pins Hogan. After the match, Yokozuna continues to injure Hogan. Surprisingly, the crowd seems to cheer for Yokozuna. Survivors: Yokozuna, Jake Roberts, The Undertaker

The Survivor’s match has Bret and Owen Hart, Davey Boy Smith, Randy Savage and Hercules facing off against Ted DiBiase, Mr. Perfect, Yokozuna, Jake Roberts and The Undertaker. Owen falls first, then Hercules. Mr. Perfect is pinned by Savage, and then The Undertaker beats Smith. Savage then beats Roberts. The Undertaker beats Bret Hart, then Savage defeats old foe DiBiase. Savage then falls to Yokozuna. After the match, he continues to injure Savage as he did Hogan earlier. This monster cannot be stopped! Survivors: The Undertaker, Yokozuna
UT Yokozuna.jpg

December 27, 1992
Starrcade

Ric Flair once more gains the World title as he defeats Ricky Steamboat in a classic sixty-minute affair
Flair vs Steamboat 1992.jpg

Also this evening, Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard win the Tag titles from The Road Warriors
Anderson Blanchard belts.jpg

By the end of 1992, Vince is growing tired of using essentially the same formula he has for years. While Hart and Michaels are beginning to establish themselves as potential headliners, Vince fears things are growing predictable. He acknowledges that he is over-reliant on Hogan. But none of the other talent draws the kind of money Hogan does. Still, he knows that his pay-per-view buyrate has yet to exceed the numbers from 1988, so he tasks his associates to come up with new ideas that will shock the WWF to its very core.

Another Bret Hart idea: If I were doing a wrestling TL I'd probably make his first title reign the same as OTL, have him win the belt from Hogan at 1993 Summerslam like it was originally planned (IRL Hogan didn't want to put him over)

Then give him a really long title reign all the way until Wrestlemania 11 when Kevin Nash (Diesel) beats him. It never made any sense for a wrestler as great as Bret Hart to drop the belt to a washed up Bob Backlund at 1994 Survivor Series. Have either Nash or his brother Owen beat him

Another Bret Hart idea: If I were doing a wrestling TL I'd probably make his first title reign the same as OTL, have him win the belt from Hogan at 1993 Summerslam like it was originally planned (IRL Hogan didn't want to put him over)
Honestly, what I would've done is keep Hogan as far away from the belt as possible: have Savage win the Rumble, have him and Bret face off at Wrestlemania, have Bret win, and have Hogan face off against Yokozuna in a separate match that ends similarly to their OTL King of the Ring match. After that, I'd have the Bret and Owen feud have an earlier start (Owen entering, and then winning, the '93 King of the Ring to try and distance himself from Bret out of jealousy, the feud erupting at Survivor Series, and so on), culminating in Bret and Owen main eventing Wrestlemania X, whereupon Owen gets the belt in a match similar to the OTL one.

Granted, the only way this would've worked is if Vince was slightly more angry with Hogan lying about not using steroids, to the point of using Wrestlemania IX to screwjob Hogan out of the WWE...

So the Bossman never turned face in this TL?

When did Ax leave Demolition?
Bossman has not turned face. At least, not yet. Ax quietly retired sometime after Survivor Series 1990.

Sorry, but Davey Boy vs Bret is the TRUE main event of SummerSlam 92.
While I'm inclined to agree with you, I'm sure Hogan would take issue with that comment.

Bret Hart was so impressive putting Davey Boy Smith over for the IC title that he was given his first run with the WWF belt 6 weeks later
Alas, 'twas not to be in this TL. We'll see if and when the Hit Man takes the top spot...

Then give him a really long title reign all the way until Wrestlemania 11 when Kevin Nash (Diesel) beats him. It never made any sense for a wrestler as great as Bret Hart to drop the belt to a washed up Bob Backlund at 1994 Survivor Series. Have either Nash or his brother Owen beat him
Honestly, what I would've done is keep Hogan as far away from the belt as possible: have Savage win the Rumble, have him and Bret face off at Wrestlemania, have Bret win, and have Hogan face off against Yokozuna in a separate match that ends similarly to their OTL King of the Ring match. After that, I'd have the Bret and Owen feud have an earlier start (Owen entering, and then winning, the '93 King of the Ring to try and distance himself from Bret out of jealousy, the feud erupting at Survivor Series, and so on), culminating in Bret and Owen main eventing Wrestlemania X, whereupon Owen gets the belt in a match similar to the OTL one.

Granted, the only way this would've worked is if Vince was slightly more angry with Hogan lying about not using steroids, to the point of using Wrestlemania IX to screwjob Hogan out of the WWE...
Vince certainly had plenty of options for the title around this time. While Hogan has slightly more incentive to play ball here, he's still Hogan. Stay tuned though, as changes are on the horizon...

Of course! The Monsoon/Heenan partnership is the gold standard for me. I truly miss them.

Don't let this TL distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.

Regardless, huge hopes for this TL. Not the biggest fan of Pro Wrestling in recent years but it was a huge part of my childhood.

Don't let this TL distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.

Regardless, huge hopes for this TL. Not the biggest fan of Pro Wrestling in recent years but it was a huge part of my childhood.
Same I've only in the last few years got back to watching it regularly with my kids, mostly All Elite Wrestling. But Game Changer Wrestling is fun if your after something more adult, think old ECW, with modern sensibilities and style.

Will now dibiase be a long term champion? His name is on the TL but he barely changed from OTL
"Million Dollar Mania" was also a thing Vince did for like 2 weeks in 06 where he'd give a random person a million dollars on air.
It's a multi-layered reference, probably also in reference to how much money Wrestlemania draws too...
I see your point though.

Same I've only in the last few years got back to watching it regularly with my kids, mostly All Elite Wrestling. But Game Changer Wrestling is fun if your after something more adult, think old ECW, with modern sensibilities and style.
For those of us who grew up during a certain time, the current product can be pretty hard to watch. One of the reasons the TL will end in the early 2000s...

Will now dibiase be a long term champion? His name is on the TL but he barely changed from OTL
"Million Dollar Mania" was also a thing Vince did for like 2 weeks in 06 where he'd give a random person a million dollars on air.
It's a multi-layered reference, probably also in reference to how much money Wrestlemania draws too...
I see your point though.
Fear not, the TL will feature much more from DiBiase. Unless the Million Dollar Man refers to Vince himself? Hmm...

Early 1993: Changes All Around
January 4, 1993
Gorilla Monsoon has asked Vince for a reduced working schedule, which necessitates a change to the WWF’s flagship cable program Prime Time Wrestling. Rather than showing taped matches in between clips of Gorilla Monsoon and Bobby Heenan sparring verbally, Monday Night Raw is set in small venues with bright lights and more competitive matches. The entire atmosphere of the show is altered, with Eric Bischoff and Bobby Heenan providing commentary directly from ringside. The premiere episode features a main event of Bret Hart versus Randy Savage. Yokozuna interferes, allowing Hart to gain the victory.
Bischoff Heenan.jpg

January 24, 1993
Royal Rumble

Men on a Mission defeat The New Foundation
Champion Shawn Michaels beats Jim Duggan
Michaels Duggan.jpg

Bam Bam Bigelow wins over Big Bossman
Ted DiBiase and Mr. Perfect regain the titles from The Steiner Brothers
The main event, the Royal Rumble match:
1 and 2 Bryan Clark and Bret Hart begin the match
3 Papa Shango, eliminated by Hart
4 Kamala
5 Brian Knobbs, eliminated by Hart
6 Roddy Piper, finally coming to Hart’s aid
7 The Mountie
8 Koko B. Ware, eliminated by The Mountie
9 Brutus Beefcake, who helps Piper eliminate Clark
10 Berzerker
11 Jeff Jarrett
12 Bart Gunn
13 Headbanger Thrash
14 Billy Gunn
15 The Undertaker
16 Headbanger Mosh
17 Bob Backlund, who tosses Jeff Jarrett over the top rope, eliminating him
18 Demolition Crush
19 Tatanka, who eliminates The Mountie just before The Undertaker eliminates Beefcake
20 Jerry Sags
21 Typhoon
22 Rikishi, who eliminates Berzerker
23 Earthquake, who tosses Thrash over the top while The Undertaker eliminates Piper
24 Davey Boy Smith
25 Tito Santana
26 Rick Martel
27 Yokozuna, who eliminates Bart Gunn and Mosh
28 WWF Champion Hulk Hogan, who eliminates Kamala
29 Demolition Smash, who eliminates Billy Gunn
30 Randy Savage, who teams with Hogan to eliminate The Undertaker and then Typhoon

The final fourteen competitors:
Bob Backlund, eliminated (17th) by Rikishi and Santana
Rikishi (18th), pulled over the top by Backlund from outside the ring
Crush (19th) by Savage
Tatanka (20th) by Yokozuna
Smith (21st) by Yokozuna
Earthquake (22nd) by Hogan
Santana (23rd) by Martel
Sags (24th) by Hart
Hart (25th) by Yokozuna
Smash (26th) by Hogan
Martel (27th) by Savage
Hogan (28th) by Yokozuna
Savage (29th) by Yokozuna, who wins a title shot at WrestleMania 9!
Yokozuna Savage (2).jpg

April 4, 1993
WrestleMania 9

Gorilla Monsoon asks Vince if he can officially retire after this year’s WrestleMania. Vince, always wanting to take care of the old-timers as he had promised his father, offers to keep Gorilla on the payroll in an off-screen capacity. On screen, Gorilla hands announcing duties over to former WCW lead announcer Jim Ross. While Ross doesn’t share the same chemistry with co-host Bobby Heenan, Vince is happy to bring the well-respected Ross on board.
Jim Ross.jpg

The Smoking Gunns (Billy and Bart) defeat The Natural Disasters
For the Women’s Championship (yes, it still exists):
Long-time champion Sherri Martel finally loses her title, to newcomer Alundra Blayze
Blayze.jpg

At the conclusion of the bout, Bob Backlund runs down to the ring to argue that Martel’s shoulder was up at the three-count. He swears that he won’t stand by to see another champion lose the belt illegally, like what happened to him a decade ago. This begins Mr. Backlund’s comic heel turn. When he issues an open challenge to the locker room, Davey Boy Smith comes to ringside for an impromptu match
Backlund suit.jpg

Davey Boy Smith and Bob Backlund are both counted out of the ring, battling all the way backstage

Men on a Mission defeat Bam Bam Bigelow and Rikishi

Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart put on one of the best matches of their careers, with Hart emerging victorious as the new champion
Hart Michaels.jpg

The Undertaker defeats Roddy Piper

Demolition beats The Headbangers

Randy Savage defeats Rick Martel in another classic matchup

The Steiner Brothers defeat champions Ted DiBiase and Mr. Perfect
Steiners.jpg

In an unexpected move, Champion Hulk Hogan loses his title to Yokozuna. Fans had grown tired of Hogan and now, happy to finally see a change, they openly cheer the new champion
Yokozuna.jpg

May 3, 1993
Monday Night Raw

Vince McMahon introduces “The King of Wrestling” Jerry Lawler as the new co-host of Raw, replacing Bobby Heenan (who has asked to return to his natural role as manager). Lawler states that, in an attempt to add some class to the WWF, he has granted permission for a brand-new tournament to crown a new “King of the Ring.” The first round of the tournament will take place on Raw, with the quarter-finals and finals held at a brand-new pay-per-view event.
Lawler.jpg

In preliminary matches over the next few weeks on Raw:
Jeff Jarrett defeats Brutus Beefcake
Owen Hart beats Kamala
Bryan Clark defeats Tito Santana
Rikishi upsets Rick Martel
Papa Shango beats Jim Duggan
Tatanka defeats The Mountie
Shawn Michaels beats Bam Bam Bigelow
Davey Boy Smith defeats Big Bossman

June 13, 1993
King of the Ring

In tournament quarter-final matches:
Owen Hart defeats Jeff Jarrett
Bryan Clark defeats Rikishi
Tatanka beats Papa Shango
Shawn Michaels defeats Davey Boy Smith

The Steiner Brothers keep the titles over Ted DiBiase and Mr. Perfect

The tournament continues with the semi-final round:
Owen Hart defeats Bryan Clark
Shawn Michaels beats Tatanka

Champion Bret Hart defeats Rick Martel

The tournament concludes:
Shawn Michaels defeats Owen Hart to be crowned inaugural King of the Ring

Champion Yokozuna defeats Randy Savage

July 18, 1993
Great American Bash

Lex Luger defeats Sting for the U.S. title
Ricky Steamboat defeats Ric Flair to once more win the World title

I like that Yoko doesn't get screwed out of his title win at WM 9 my big concern is if he can keep the weight off in this timeline that kinda doomed him in the OTL and while we got to see him and Owen team up I'm oddly picturing Paul Heyman brought in to be his American spokesperson instead of Cornette and we'd get the Tribal Chief nearly 30 years early.

I like that Yoko doesn't get screwed out of his title win at WM 9 my big concern is if he can keep the weight off in this timeline that kinda doomed him in the OTL and while we got to see him and Owen team up I'm oddly picturing Paul Heyman brought in to be his American spokesperson instead of Cornette and we'd get the Tribal Chief nearly 30 years early.
My greater concern for Yoko is how WWE is going to keep him from eating his body weight in food every day.

Yoko as champ was kind of inevitable here. Currently, Heyman is honing his craft in Philly. And Cornette is in WCW, helping Watts with booking.

My greater concern for Yoko is how WWE is going to keep him from eating his body weight in food every day.
Does Mr. Fuji manage Yokozuna in this timeline?
Yes, Fuji serves as Yoko's manager. Until Yoko eats him :)

Its far of but have the S.H.I.E.L.D form!
Too far away to detail at the moment...

I am with you there I mean if someone could convince him Vince might have been able to in the OTL had he not been distracted with the steroid trial.
Steroids will be addressed in tomorrow's post. As will the changeover from Monsoon/Heenan to Ross/Lawler, among a few other topics.

Thanks again for the comments, folks! Stay tuned for exciting times ahead