Medieval America Mark III

My two cents about Latin America.

I think Mexico is pretty much mainline Catholic, though obviously with its syncretic elements. The maps show even the spread out deserts are mainly Catholic, which makes me think a lot of villages similar to the Spanish missions of the Colonial era. In general, I can see Mexico to area that was New Granada and New Castile being fairly similar to life in the 1500s, just with a bounced-back population.

White infers the Secretarial States of America on the mainland are the tip of the iceberg, so I think pretty much the entire Caribbean Archipelago are Secretarial and Voodoo, even Cuba (Relatively irreligious as far as Latin America goes, making it ripe for new or esoteric religions in White's world.)

The big maritime culture would probably be found in Chile, which has a very convoluted coast, possesses a climate and topography found in a lot of the ancient maritime powers, and is at the crossroads of the Atlantic to the Pacific. That's probably where you want to put your Venice or Genoa or Medieval USA equivalents.

The Pampas are smaller than the Great Plains and the Eurasian Steppe, and closer to the open sea, so I don't think the Gauchos make quite as much trouble as their Northern Hemisphere counterparts. They might even be pretty chill, as far as these things go.

I agree about Northern/Central Brazil pretty much getting swallowed by the jungles with pre-Colombian tribes dominating. The South is a lot of fun--I think it would be more inland than not (Like China and India), but that you have something like a low eight figure population, with very diverse backgrounds, in the Southern Hemisphere (where summer is winter and winter is summer), fairly cut off from everyone else. This is probably where you can invent crazy new religions and lifestyles, maybe Lorenzo the Redeemer disciples, in a shoutout to White's other surreal histories.

I think Mexico is pretty much mainline Catholic, though obviously with its syncretic elements. The maps show even the spread out deserts are mainly Catholic, which makes me think a lot of villages similar to the Spanish missions of the Colonial era. In general, I can see Mexico to area that was New Granada and New Castile being fairly similar to life in the 1500s, just with a bounced-back population.

White infers the Secretarial States of America on the mainland are the tip of the iceberg, so I think pretty much the entire Caribbean Archipelago are Secretarial and Voodoo, even Cuba (Relatively irreligious as far as Latin America goes, making it ripe for new or esoteric religions in White's world.)

The big maritime culture would probably be found in Chile, which has a very convoluted coast, possesses a climate and topography found in a lot of the ancient maritime powers, and is at the crossroads of the Atlantic to the Pacific. That's probably where you want to put your Venice or Genoa or Medieval USA equivalents.

The Pampas are smaller than the Great Plains and the Eurasian Steppe, and closer to the open sea, so I don't think the Gauchos make quite as much trouble as their Northern Hemisphere counterparts. They might even be pretty chill, as far as these things go.

I agree about Northern/Central Brazil pretty much getting swallowed by the jungles with pre-Colombian tribes dominating. The South is a lot of fun--I think it would be more inland than not (Like China and India), but that you have something like a low eight figure population, with very diverse backgrounds, in the Southern Hemisphere (where summer is winter and winter is summer), fairly cut off from everyone else. This is probably where you can invent crazy new religions and lifestyles, maybe Lorenzo the Redeemer disciples, in a shoutout to White's other surreal histories.
Monastery-states in the desert would be an interesting development. Nations run by the monks centered on a monastery with governments somewhat similar to the hydraulic empires.

I agree with you on the Caribbean and a Chilean merchant empire/republic would be very interesting. Their relationship with the Andeans/Peruvians would be very interesting.

The Pampas Gaucho could be relaxed, what about the Brazilian Gauchos. Perhaps the Brazilian Gauchos are more aggressive and over the centuries have replaced the Pampas Gauchos resulting in Portuguese speakers to wrap around La Plata into the Pampas/Patagonia.

We most definitely need to include Lorenzo the Redeemer. He is a very interesting figure and a religion with meat added to it would be fun to see.

Also, would you be okay with posting your blog updates here too?

I don't think so, because in a world far from the church in Rome and where the local president is a hydraulic emperor, he can easily manipulate the religion into something wacky to suit his own needs. I also think that the emphasis of saints in Catholicism lends itself to becoming a polytheistic religion.

Its also cooler for the President of Mexico to be dedicating human sacrifices to Yahweh, King of the Gods.

Yes Chile has a convoluted coast, however the convoluted coast is in the south of the country, where it is generally too cold for agriculture. The part of the country suitable for agriculture has a very smooth coast. It would be similar to if the PNW and Californian Central Valley were connected.

Last edited:
There's definitely an allure in a sort of Neo-Aztec culture, but I generally believe in keeping it Catholic because 1) I don't want to make a habit of exoticizing non-white nations, and 2) To preserve Medieval America's novelty, that means keeping the "rerun"aspect in as many ways as possible. We can't completely unring the bell, but a somewhat lower tech, but more populated version of colonial Mexico squares it a little.

Also, would you be okay with posting your blog updates here too?
I suppose, though most of my more salient stuff is me going back and revising old articles.

I'd add some Georgia lore but Georgia seems to be one of the most well tread parts of the world. Still, marvelous worldbuilding!!

I'd add some Georgia lore but Georgia seems to be one of the most well tread parts of the world. Still, marvelous worldbuilding!!
No worries, add much as Georgian lore as you’d like. There is never enough too much lore especially considering how we were discussing Brazil while we still haven’t even had a USA post.

No worries, add much as Georgian lore as you’d like. There is never enough too much lore especially considering how we were discussing Brazil while we still haven’t even had a USA post.
Adding to this, no one should ever be afraid to go backwards and write lore - in fact, I encourage it!