MAZDAK’S FLIGHT – A Sassanid TL

Deleted member 107190

"The Persians crossed the border at Daraa, sacking the fortress, in early June 654. From here, Jamasp II divided his armies into two hosts. 15,000 men under his younger brother Adarmahan was to strike north, and raid Antioch. A larger force of 20,000 under Jamasp II would move south, besiege Damascus, then invade Palestine."
- Extract taken from Sasania: Her Rise, Her Fall by Zoreh Kian. (1982)

1668041368627.png

"In the years following Jamasp the Second's invasion, a succession crisis erupted in the court of the Emperor Germanus. This schism, between the forces supportive of the Gothic claimant to the Byzantine throne, Gaetulicus, and those who supported the Empress and her brood, would bring the empire to its knees."
- Extract taken from The Years Of Tears & Salt: The Beginning of the End of the Byzantine Empire 588-632 by Lord John Summerton.
(1997)

1668041588185.png

“Gaetulicus, my most vile and villainous slave, you and I know that your armies, so piteously assembled, will be crushed by the lances of my warriors. I am not an unreasonable man. Restore the throne to my son, the rightful heir. If you do not I shall hunt you through the forests of heaven and the fires of hell.”
– Grod, Khagan of the Avars, in a letter to Emperor Gaetulicus (607)

1668042172910.png

Mazdak's Flight will return, December 2022...

Deleted member 107190

Deleted member 107190

Another thing I wanted to ask, does Harshavardhana still creates his empire or is that butterflied?
He does, except ITTL he patronises Mazdakites as well as Buddhists, and it’s under his rule that you see those two religions co-mingling a bit.

He does, except ITTL he patronises Mazdakites as well as Buddhists, and it’s under his rule that you see those two religions co-mingling a bit.
Got it. But are there any significant Mazdakite population in the subcontinent? The reason why Harsha patronised Buddhists is because there were enough of them in his empire as well as the fact that he ruled over much of where they came from (Lumbini - Bodhgaya).

Also wondering how Hinduism - Mazdakism will interact with each other.

You have written a great timeline :).

Deleted member 107190

Got it. But are there any significant Mazdakite population in the subcontinent? The reason why Harsha patronised Buddhists is because there were enough of them in his empire as well as the fact that he ruled over much of where they came from (Lumbini - Bodhgaya).

Also wondering how Hinduism - Mazdakism will interact with each other.

You have written a great timeline :).
They’re, I suppose you’d say, a vocal minority. A few missionaries arrived with Mihirakula, and set up Water Temples. Hinduism will have an interesting reaction to Mazdakisn but don’t want to go into many details as I still have lots of research to do.
And thank you!