Map Thread XXII

Sunrise on the Fogaras - what if Hungary took a swing at Romania and hit the rest of Central Europe as well
hungary.png

Germany has fallen to the Entente (includes Hungary, Montenegro, Bulgaria, but not Wilson) . France took the Rhine but remain unstable internally. Hapsburg Hungary has reclaimed the rightful Austrian and Bohemian lands from the Germans. Russia collapsed in 1917 with no side having a desisive victory, leaving Poland independent. Poland and Hungary-Austria are allies of the Vienna Pact. Montenegrin nobles have been given Serbia in exchange for participation in the Vienna Pact. Romania is carved up by Poland and Hungary, the Dobruja is a provisional government staffed by Hungarian allies. Oltenia is a Hungarian puppet regime to deport angry Romanians too (very unstable) . Illyria, or the United Illyrian Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia, Dalmatia, and Bosnia and Herzengovina, is a democracy trying to reconcile catholic supremacy with pan-nationalism.
1 - Thessalonica (another provisional government like Dobruja)

1940:
The Great Depression made Hungary very unstable. People blamed the dictatorial King for his mismanaging of state resources and inflexible authoritarianism. After being assassinated without an heir the government (ran by curropt yesmen) fell apart. Food shortages pressured individual counties, provinces, state organs, and populace to act independently. Illyria's populace split between catholic supremacists, Serbian nationalists, and democratic pan-Illyrians. Dalmatia was where most of the fighting happened. The pan-Illyrians had support from people tired of civil strife in Dalmatia and Bosnia. They became post nationalist and democratic federalists to cast a wider net for support. Now their known as the Illyrian Democratic Federation. They've been joined by the Novi Sad and Serbian Banat. Romania had to compromise with its neighbors because of how baldy their country had been treated after the Great War. Bulgaria was given a protectorate over the Dobruja in exchange for their support to conquer Oltenia. Poland ceded Romania the Bukovina in exhange for an alliance against Hungary. Fogaras was a military state under Hungary but went native to avoid nationlist unrest. The military promised the Romanians an end to the food shortages and peace. With their defendable position in the mountains and their experience in the Great War, the military was more than capable of defending themselves from outsider. However, they alleged themselves to the Romanian Confederation to secure food imports and long term security. They were a honor bound ally to Bucharest. They greatly improved their military capability and conquered Romanian land in Transylvania. For their contribution to Romanian unity they were even given land in Banat. Transylvania from Orodea to Brasov was the worst affected by nationalist unrest and civil violence. Hungarians in the region hated Budapest for causing this whole mess in the first place. Romanians wanted an end to ethnic persecution. Germans either fled or joined the autonomous German military order in Sibiu. After a few months of fighting the more extreme and/or nationalists leaders causing war were overthrown by popular revolutions. A number of county provisional governments met in Cluj to declare the Transylvanian Alliance. The alliance has three factions, the Sibiu military order, the Transylvanian Provisional Federation (including Romanian and German special autonomies) , and the new Western counties who joined for protection against Hungary. Hungary itself was overthrown by a coup, which was then overthrown by catholic republicans after they lost horribly. Their Rusyn allies were crushed by Poland, Kassa is nothing but rubble after the drawn out fighting, all Slavic lands have been lost, and even their fellow catholics left them. Poland and Bohemia created the Zapadoslavian Confederation for many reasons. They needed to wether the storm of the Great Depression, security against future German/Russian/Hungarian agression, and secure the safety of their fellow catholic Slavs in Hungary. They maintain good relations with the Holy Alliance as catholic brothers. Austria was carved up by Budapest to prevent the German tail from wagging the Hungarian dog. After Budapest fell some expected the new states to reunify but they each had their own rulers and administrators who had spent years reviving old nationalism and culture of the seperate regions. They had different goals and ideals. None of them were suffering enough to really persue unification anyways. Instead, the 4 states met in Vienna to create a regional blocc that would secure stability but leave them independent. The Holy Alliance isnt officialy the continuation of the HRE but you couldnt blame someone for thinking so. They're rhetoric, catholic nationalism, and cultural symbols are borrowed from the old days. Bulgaria has got it the best. Their a neutral nation with plenty of business ties to the rich economies of Western Europe and America. They have good relations with Turkey and Thessalonica, giving them lots of influence in the important trade routes of Constantinople. Illyria isn't happy with Sofia's opprotunistic invasion of Serbia though. Serbia fell quickly to popular revolution since their curopt Montenegrin nobles didn't handle the Great Depression well. Illyria is now trying to annex their 3 new provinces.
2 - Free City of Pozsony
(edited bc i messed up the spoliers whoops)

Sunrise on the Fogaras - what if Hungary took a swing at Romania and hit the rest of Central Europe as well
View attachment 850465
Germany has fallen to the Entente (includes Hungary, Montenegro, Bulgaria, but not Wilson) . France took the Rhine but remain unstable internally. Hapsburg Hungary has reclaimed the rightful Austrian and Bohemian lands from the Germans. Russia collapsed in 1917 with no side having a desisive victory, leaving Poland independent. Poland and Hungary-Austria are allies of the Vienna Pact. Montenegrin nobles have been given Serbia in exchange for participation in the Vienna Pact. Romania is carved up by Poland and Hungary, the Dobruja is a provisional government staffed by Hungarian allies. Oltenia is a Hungarian puppet regime to deport angry Romanians too (very unstable) . Illyria, or the United Illyrian Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia, Dalmatia, and Bosnia and Herzengovina, is a democracy trying to reconcile catholic supremacy with pan-nationalism.
1 - Thessalonica (another provisional government like Dobruja)

1940:
The Great Depression made Hungary very unstable. People blamed the dictatorial King for his mismanaging of state resources and inflexible authoritarianism. After being assassinated without an heir the government (ran by curropt yesmen) fell apart. Food shortages pressured individual counties, provinces, state organs, and populace to act independently. Illyria's populace split between catholic supremacists, Serbian nationalists, and democratic pan-Illyrians. Dalmatia was where most of the fighting happened. The pan-Illyrians had support from people tired of civil strife in Dalmatia and Bosnia. They became post nationalist and democratic federalists to cast a wider net for support. Now their known as the Illyrian Democratic Federation. They've been joined by the Novi Sad and Serbian Banat. Romania had to compromise with its neighbors because of how baldy their country had been treated after the Great War. Bulgaria was given a protectorate over the Dobruja in exchange for their support to conquer Oltenia. Poland ceded Romania the Bukovina in exhange for an alliance against Hungary. Fogaras was a military state under Hungary but went native to avoid nationlist unrest. The military promised the Romanians an end to the food shortages and peace. With their defendable position in the mountains and their experience in the Great War, the military was more than capable of defending themselves from outsider. However, they alleged themselves to the Romanian Confederation to secure food imports and long term security. They were a honor bound ally to Bucharest. They greatly improved their military capability and conquered Romanian land in Transylvania. For their contribution to Romanian unity they were even given land in Banat. Transylvania from Orodea to Brasov was the worst affected by nationalist unrest and civil violence. Hungarians in the region hated Budapest for causing this whole mess in the first place. Romanians wanted an end to ethnic persecution. Germans either fled or joined the autonomous German military order in Sibiu. After a few months of fighting the more extreme and/or nationalists leaders causing war were overthrown by popular revolutions. A number of county provisional governments met in Cluj to declare the Transylvanian Alliance. The alliance has three factions, the Sibiu military order, the Transylvanian Provisional Federation (including Romanian and German special autonomies) , and the new Western counties who joined for protection against Hungary. Hungary itself was overthrown by a coup, which was then overthrown by catholic republicans after they lost horribly. Their Rusyn allies were crushed by Poland, Kassa is nothing but rubble after the drawn out fighting, all Slavic lands have been lost, and even their fellow catholics left them. Poland and Bohemia created the Zapadoslavian Confederation for many reasons. They needed to wether the storm of the Great Depression, security against future German/Russian/Hungarian agression, and secure the safety of their fellow catholic Slavs in Hungary. They maintain good relations with the Holy Alliance as catholic brothers. Austria was carved up by Budapest to prevent the German tail from wagging the Hungarian dog. After Budapest fell some expected the new states to reunify but they each had their own rulers and administrators who had spent years reviving old nationalism and culture of the seperate regions. They had different goals and ideals. None of them were suffering enough to really persue unification anyways. Instead, the 4 states met in Vienna to create a regional blocc that would secure stability but leave them independent. The Holy Alliance isnt officialy the continuation of the HRE but you couldnt blame someone for thinking so. They're rhetoric, catholic nationalism, and cultural symbols are borrowed from the old days. Bulgaria has got it the best. Their a neutral nation with plenty of business ties to the rich economies of Western Europe and America. They have good relations with Turkey and Thessalonica, giving them lots of influence in the important trade routes of Constantinople. Illyria isn't happy with Sofia's opprotunistic invasion of Serbia though. Serbia fell quickly to popular revolution since their curopt Montenegrin nobles didn't handle the Great Depression well. Illyria is now trying to annex their 3 new provinces.
2 - Free City of Pozsony
(edited bc i messed up the spoliers whoops)
Seeing Comic Sans on a Worlda sure is an interesting sight.

Crossposting from the MotF thread:
dg4uwhb-f6561b75-3da9-4627-8910-8fa073f6e417.png

The Planet of the First Makers: What if the Great Dying was caused by intelligent Therapsids?

In 1964, paleontologists and geologists working in South Africa’s Karoo Basin made an earth shattering discovery- unmistakable artificial plastic objects within unaltered Permian strata. When announced to the world some two years later, the debate on the veracity and implications raged for more than a decade. But soon, a tsunami of evidence confirmed the shocking truth: Humanity came second. Archaeomunitor Sapiens (trans. “Wise First Maker”) were the first sapients to walk Planet Earth.

Emerging at the very end of the Permian, the Gorgonopsid A. Sapiens- or the First Makers- somehow surged past their proto-mammalian cousins in their brain size and neural density. They found a young Earth- and over the course of tens of thousands of years built a mighty technological civilization upon its bounty. Nevertheless, their ruthless material exploitation of both the biomass around them and their planet’s resources strained the already unstable, hot and volcanic Permian Earth, and they contributed to the greatest mass extinction the planet has ever seen- the Great Dying, which wiped their world and themselves out.

Humanity still does not know what the First Makers called themselves- science has not uncovered convincing remains of their written language- nor do we know anything definitive about their culture. Nevertheless, although separated by 251 million years- we can find a kinship in our planet’s first thinkers. They gained mastery over their planet, despoiling the Earth to build wondrous cities of steel and concrete. They lived billions of lives, working, building, fighting, inventing, and one must imagine- loving their fellows and beholding the beauty of their planet and the universe. Only time will tell if we too will share the fate of Earth’s first thinking children.
This is very cool.

Can we do map requests here? I recently had the idea for a crossover fusion between RL Earth and two fantasy franchises Dragon Age and Wither. With both their respective settings being part of the America's when Columbus shows up.

Can we do map requests here? I recently had the idea for a crossover fusion between RL Earth and two fantasy franchises Dragon Age and Wither. With both their respective settings being part of the America's when Columbus shows up.
You might be better off trying to get a commission, as the complexities of the coasts in Dragon Age, and trying to get it to fit into a globe... anyways, here is the relevant thread for requests.

View attachment 849924
Weird little project I've been working on, an alternate history where i let the dice decide what happened. Started in 1815, and i've made it up to 1875 now.

Rough summary of selected notable events:
Napoleon fails to escape elba, no hundred days or 7th coalition.
Latin American wars of independence go very differently.
Bolivar never became a figure of note (his revolt rolled a 1, so he died)
New Granada had to carry the whole team on its back, and Argentina was laughably incompetent
New Granada evolved into the "United States of Colombia," the great republican power of Latin America
Brazil has kept its monarchy so far, and as part of the final settlement in Peru, the last resisting Spanish holdout, walked away with Upper Peru, and fought a brief war with Chile over the coast in the 50s
Spain itself actually collapsed before Mexico did, so the local authorities crowned a Mexican emperor.
The Mexican civil war lasted for 20 years and devastated the country.
As the Federal Republic of Central America collapsed, Nicaragua and Costa Rica joined the USC
America took a little more land then they did OTL from Mexico, because the south was more dominant at the time
The American civil war began in 1868, and the Union won in 3 years. Radical Republicans are in power in the US.
The Ottoman empire collapsed in the 50s in an alternate Crimean war that began because of a Balkan revolt.
Britains failed attempt to save it a la the Crimean war lead to a revolution in Britain that imposed a republic
Australia, South Africa, and Canada all won what was essentially dominion status as the revolution was taking over Britain
Britain has also formed a "Republican League" including other like minded states, such as the Scandinavian Republic, South Greece, and Formosa
A member of the Royal Family escaped to India during the chaos, establishing the Indian Empire
Persia and Egypt are modernizing powers, but Egypt is under French influence
The Qing dynasty outright collapsed to the Taipings, leading to a deadly 20 years which saw the chaos they brought to the Yangtze valley OTL to be experienced by all China
The winning player there was the "Ning Dynasty," formed by an ex-qing regional official in Gansu, which seeks to modernize China to protect it from western imperialism
Vietnam was modernizing and generally doing well, but they got too ambitious and got smacked down by the French and Siamese
The Philippines won their independence during the collapse of Spain, and are doing decently well
France is still under Napoleon III, and Germany chose not to take Alsace in order to not make France a "Hereditary Enemy"

If you have any questions feel free to ask
You should change the year in the top left corner to 1875 because I didn't know what was going on until I saw the filename and put it together with your description.

Curious the Spanish called places San, Santo, and Santa so close to each other in coastal Georgia. I always assumed in real life with this sort of stuff that it was just the French and Spanish having their own naming systems.
San and Santa are different genders of "Saint" in Spanish, and Santo is a more archaic form of San.

French for "saint" is Saint (in the modern day, of course, the t is not pronounced) for male and Sainte for female.

For completeness, in Portuguese it's Santo and Santa.

San and Santa are different genders of "Saint" in Spanish, and Santo is a more archaic form of San.

French for "saint" is Saint (in the modern day, of course, the t is not pronounced) for male and Sainte for female.

For completeness, in Portuguese it's Santo and Santa.
Huh. I wonder if general/president Santa Anne ever got teased about his name. Though I suppose they were more used to cities being named after saints down in Mexico.

Huh. I wonder if general/president Santa Anne ever got teased about his name. Though I suppose they were more used to cities being named after saints down in Mexico.
While childhood teasing always has rather odd low bars,

That's not how gendered languages generally work. At least historically, can't speak for contemporary.

If you go searching through older French documents, you can even find people named Jean-Marie, etc.

While childhood teasing always has rather odd low bars,

That's not how gendered languages generally work. At least historically, can't speak for contemporary.

If you go searching through older French documents, you can even find people named Jean-Marie, etc.
In French, the first of a composite first name determines the gender of the full first name.
For instance, Pierre-Marie is male, but Marie-Pierre is female.
And yes, Jean-Marie is forex the name of the still-living founder of our far right party, and I had a school teacher called Marie-Pierre, and she was maybe in her late thirties then , probably her fifties now ?

His last name is “de Santa Ana”, that means “of Santa Ana” I’m not 100% sure but that could either be after a place the family was from, like a city named after St. Anne, or a use of “de” as a generic appendation to imply nobility (originally the “of” was nobles was “of [name of their main possession]” but it came to be appended to the surnames of ennobled commoners as well in much of Europe). Both are pretty normal, not the sort of thing one would typically get made fun of. Even if its neither of those things, 1) it’s “of St. Anne”, he doesn’t have a female name, it just references some connection to something relating to a female saint. 2) it’s not his name, it’s a last name. He isn’t named Anna, his name was Antonio, firmly a male name. 3) If I understand Spanish correctly, the thing named in a last name starting with de doesn’t have to match the gender of the person’s name, though I think Spanish has some gendered last names (Spanish speakers correct me if I’m wrong) but this definitely isn’t one in that sense

In short: I doubt it

If I understand Spanish correctly, the thing named in a last name starting with de doesn’t have to match the gender of the person’s name, though I think Spanish has some gendered last names (Spanish speakers correct me if I’m wrong) but this definitely isn’t one in that sense
The "de" simply means the person is coming from a noble family who owns that land (De Vega, for example). As for gendered last names and surnames, Spanish makes no distinctions. You can have men having second names in feminine (Francisco Paula) and females having male names (María José). Same for surnames, there's both Herrero and Herrera, nothing to do with the gender of the person (ie Antonio Herrera or Julia Herrero).

Off-topic, but does anyone remember some alt-Pacific War (or one centred on the Pacific) map framed as a newspaper, with headlines and all?

Had some fairly fancy graphics, too, IIRC... I think it was posted in an older Map Thread (within the past two or three years), or perhaps on DeviantArt. Sorry, not sure where else to ask! (this is all I have to go on by this point unfortunately...)

Will be verily grateful if anyone can bring this map back from the graveyard of my memory

I had an idea for a hybrid Chinese/Korean/Quechua state, so after some obsessive work, here it is:

Hangeul for Quechua

P0M1TZ5.png

Chinese characters in Wijayan Quechua can be read "Han sound" or "Wijaa sound", similar to how Korean and Japanese work.

Koowakuk - "Republic" - loanword from Chinese (Gongheguo) and Korean (Gonghwaguk)
Wijaasuyu (aka Wichaya Suyu) - "Northern Country" (often written with Han characters)

Manapi - from the Manabi people
Haajju - from Han reading of the characters meaning "Sea Pearl" (based on possible etymology of Guayaquil)
Suusan - from Han reading of characters meaning "Triumph Hill" (fictional capital city)
Kuhipanpa - from local Kichwa name for the El Oro region of Ecuador, Cuxibanba meaning "Happiness Valley"
Paraasajajoo - "Paraasaja" meaning "rainforest" and "joo" being Han reading of "zhou" meaning region
Jjakisqajoo - "Jjakisqa" meaning "damp" or "soaked" and again "joo" meaning region
Pirwajoo - "Pirwa" from "Pirua" being a local name for the region, meaning "abundance", and "joo" meaning region
Taejan - "Great Sun" from loanword "Tae" (Da in Chinese, Tai in middle Chinese, Tae in Korean), "Jan" being from old Chimu word for sun. The old capital of Chimu was called "Chan chan" (lit. Sun-sun, meaning "Great Sun) and Taejan is the sinified name.
Sanjuu - Chinese for "in the mountains" (I couldn't think of a good name)

Darien Republic - a Scottish version of Colombia which grew out of the OTL failed Darien scheme
Amazone - a French version of Brazil, based in the north
Birou - a French version of North Peru

Last edited:
Off-topic, but does anyone remember some alt-Pacific War (or one centred on the Pacific) map framed as a newspaper, with headlines and all?

Had some fairly fancy graphics, too, IIRC... I think it was posted in an older Map Thread (within the past two or three years), or perhaps on DeviantArt. Sorry, not sure where else to ask! (this is all I have to go on by this point unfortunately...)

Will be verily grateful if anyone can bring this map back from the graveyard of my memory
Was it perchance actually an Atlantic War map, with Britain taking the role of Imperial Japan?