Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on the famed National Geographic map, “Peoples of the Soviet Union”, and inspired by both Golden Hope's and History Nerd’s fantastic maps, here's my take: the ethno-linguistic composition of the Inca Empire. Hope you guys like it!
d4aA2yk.jpg

View attachment 652300
Already posted this in Blank Map Thread, but this should be a good approximation of Panem just before the events of The Hunger Games (2008). This is based off of the descriptions given on the Hunger Games Fandom wiki, itself based off of a map from the The Hunger Games Adventures (2012) video game.
Dang, it's been a long time since I last looked at anything Hunger Games-related. From what I remember the map looks good, my only critique would be that I think District 12 should be extended further south to include OTL West Virginia/eastern Kentucky given how they were (IIRC) the coal-mining district. I also feel like I always imagined District 13 to be in New England rather than Ontario, but again it's been years since I read the books or looked at any other related media.

Much of the consensus among the Panem maps I've seen through a quick Google search does indeed show District 13 occupying New England.
Dang, it's been a long time since I last looked at anything Hunger Games-related. From what I remember the map looks good, my only critique would be that I think District 12 should be extended further south to include OTL West Virginia/eastern Kentucky given how they were (IIRC) the coal-mining district. I also feel like I always imagined District 13 to be in New England rather than Ontario, but again it's been years since I read the books or looked at any other related media.
So yes, I did move it there. I also decided to move District 12 to where you said, as well as patching up some spots with info from the aforementioned Hunger Games Adventures map, as well as another map on Wikipedia.

Based on the famed National Geographic map, “Peoples of the Soviet Union”, and inspired by both Golden Hope's and History Nerd’s fantastic maps, here's my take: the ethno-linguistic composition of the Inca Empire. Hope you guys like it!

Awesome work, although there's a bit in the backstory that puzzles me, the mention of the long exile from Cuzco: it doesn't seem likely to me that the Inca empire would survive, let alone come back so strong it conquers all the way to Panama, if the Spanish conquered all the way to Cuzco. (Also, wouldn't there be more "Granadans" in Peru proper?)

What's Divergences of Darkness? Is that a game mod?

Awesome work, although there's a bit in the backstory that puzzles me, the mention of the long exile from Cuzco: it doesn't seem likely to me that the Inca empire would survive, let alone come back so strong it conquers all the way to Panama, if the Spanish conquered all the way to Cuzco. (Also, wouldn't there be more "Granadans" in Peru proper?)

What's Divergences of Darkness? Is that a game mod?
Yeah, this map is based on Divergences of Darkness, a mod for Victoria II. The backstory is basically ripped out of that mod. Essentially, in this TL, the Inca Empire survives due to foreign aid from the Anglo-French Plantagenets and Qingqu, a confederation of Chinese city states on the coast of western Arcadia (North America in this TL). The Anglo-French want the Inca's sliver and to dunk on the perfidious Spaniards, while Qingqu aids them due to trading ties. Nevertheless, the influx of foreign weapons from both powers stops the Spanish advance a hundred miles south of Cusco, where borders essentially stay static for the few hundred years, until Tawantinsuyu storms back into their northern provinces while Spain is distracted fighting the independence wars. The borders, admittedly are a bit unrealistic, considering the extent of Tawantinsuyu's conquests, but it's again based on my Victoria II playthrough, where I actually did conquer all the way to Panama (in one war, actually). I guess I'll just handwave it and said that the Incan armies were virtually unopposed when conquering through New Granada, and Spain was exhausted enough that they basically let them have it after they defeated the rebels.

As for the Granadans in Peru proper, you'd be surprised by how many Quechua persisted from the colonial times- and how small Peru's population was during the early 19th century. Peru's population in 1836 was about 1.83 million people- going from modern demographic figures, I would think at least 40%, maybe even 50% were Quechua natives. Coupled with many Hispanized mestizo populations going back to their ancient roots, I think it's not unreasonable that Peru would quickly shift back to being Quechua minority, but if were to redo the map I'd definitely add more Granadans.

Last edited:
d4aA2yk.jpg
Fantastic map. Love to see National Geographic’s style get some attention, it’s a great template.

“presever of indigenous Amerigan groups”, “lingering discrimination against marginalized groups”, Ironic, but I guess they don’t have to be mutually exclusive. Although, at least, this is probably a better set-up than OTL’s Peru and Chile.

Oh, and this is based off of Divergences, no? Qingqiu gave it away 😃 That reminds me, I really need to get back to my Vinland campaign...

Last edited:
d4aA2yk.jpg
This is fantastic but did you mess up the Afro-Granadan colour? They have the same colour as Diaguita on the map, but the Mapuche colour in the key, or at least one very close to it.

Doesn't really matter, it's still a great map.

This is fantastic but did you mess up the Afro-Granadan colour? They have the same colour as Diaguita on the map, but the Mapuche colour in the key, or at least one very close to it.

Doesn't really matter, it's still a great map.
Welp, I did. A few mistakes slipped through the cracks, including Cusco vs. Qusqu (the Quechua spelling of the city). I'll handwave the Cusco thing away as some kind of exception to Quechua spelling rules I guess, but the other thing on the key was a genuine mistake. I'll try to catch things like that on future maps. Glad you liked the map though!
EDIT: I uploaded a version with some of the mistakes fixed here. Check it out if interested.

Last edited:
A cursed map...
Next I'll map the migration of people, then the civilizations of this foul world.
(The otl climate map is from thankforallthefish, I think--https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/new-worlda-biome-map.470516/)
Africa and SAmerica Swap -- Climate.png

Status
Not open for further replies.