Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courtesy of u/Varys1549 from Reddit, a map of the Arctic Federal Republic; no lore for this one.
96wbj7ncaa661.png
I have some comments regarding the names of Russian areas.

"Okrug" isn't a proper noun; it's a Russian word meaning "District." The area in real life is named Taymyrsky Dolgano-Nenetsky Raion, which translates roughly to "Taymyr (peninsula) Dolgan and Nenets (people) district, so it would most likely be called Taymyr. Or, if you're feeling daring, you might go with "North Krasnoyarsk" or "Kara" (the name of the sea north of it) or "Pyasina" (The name of the major river basin in the region)

"Yamalo" isn't grammatically correct by itself; it refers to the Yamal peninsula; the -o is added in certain grammatical constructions. "Yamal" and "Yamalia" are both adequate substitutes.

"Novaya" isn't a proper noun, either; it literally means "New." It's proper name is "Novaya Zemlya" which, incidentally, simply translates to "New Land" and the islands themselves have the similarly creative names of "Severny" and "Yuzhny" which translate to "North" and "South" respectively.

"Kola" refers specifically to the peninsula at the north of the state; the south is more usually referred to as "Karelia". It's perfectly fine to name the whole thing "Kola" but I just thought I'd mention it.

Also, I like to imagine this country has irredentist claims on Turukhansk, Labrador, Ungava, and Troms-Finnmark

EDIT: I made an ethnic analysis for the country, just for kicks.

Population: 6.56 million
Primary ethnic groups:
Russian, 63.7%​
Indigenous (various)*, 17.9%​
Anglo-North American**, 8.1%​
Other European***, 5.3%​
Other^, 4.9%​

* - For purposes of this list, "Indigenous" people include peoples native to the region covered by the nation's territory, not including most Europeans but including Karelians, Komi, Sami, and Veps. The largest indigenous group are the Sakha (Yakut), followed distantly by the Komi and the Inuit peoples.​
** - Includes American and Canadians of European descent whose mother tongue is English.​
*** - Primarily Ukrainians and Belarusians, but also including Hispanic and Francophone North Americans, plus Danish Greenlanders.​
^ - "Other" includes the following:​
1.4% - European Muslim ethnicities​
1.3% - Non-Indigenous Asians of any type​
0.6% - Filipinos​
0.5% - Central and West Asians​
0.2% - Asian-North American (besides Filipino)​
0.5% - Afro-North Americans​
0.2% - Mestizo Americans​
0.1% - Pacific Islanders​
1.4% - Not specified, which may fit into any other category​

Last edited:
I posted an earlier version of the 1910 map here, but the map and the overall TL has changed a LOT, so I feel like the best way to to show them is posting the new version of the map again, hoping that the changes are enough for the mods not to kick me in the guts for reposting.

ddy14cq-374959be-8dcf-40d1-b862-b68e62082854.png
*gasp* A repost! Time to alert the mods!

I posted an earlier version of the 1910 map here, but the map and the overall TL has changed a LOT, so I feel like the best way to to show them is posting the new version of the map again, hoping that the changes are enough for the mods not to kick me in the guts for reposting.
Which TL is this? I'd like to read the lore.. Looks very interesting!

Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 10.43.22 pm.png

A little Christmas Eve throw-together.
The basic idea is that the USA never adopts the Constitution, and collapses under the weight of the silly bloody Articles of Confederation. The state centred in Pennsylvania is the closest to an "American successor state". Spain is able to get its version of the border dispute against Georgia.
The Louisiana Purchase and Treaty of San Idelfonso still occur; Britain occupies New Orleans but does little else. A modus vivendi is worked out between Britain and the American countries on the East Coast.

At the end of the war, Bourbon Spain is rewarded for its resistance against Napoleon by having its control over Louisiana (less New Orleans which the British keep) and West Florida confirmed. The Napoleonic Wars go as per OTL.

Just a little throw-together.

Even the Chinese do not recognize North Korea?
Otherwise it seems to me that Sudan is one of the few countries to have an embassy of North Korea. But not the other way around.
Every single nation of the UN, except for South Korea, Japan and France, recognize North Korea as an independent state.
Also, they do have more than 50 embassies in foreign states, and they host 25 foreign embassies.

Every single nation of the UN, except for South Korea, Japan and France, recognize North Korea as an independent state.
Also, they do have more than 50 embassies in foreign states, and they host 25 foreign embassies.
As a Frenchman I'm beginning to understand why I didn't know that.

Not sure if it technically counts, but just in time for Christmas, here's a little surprise for the RDNA-verse to end 2020 on a better note: commissioned portraits for the major female Nations-Personifications of the New World. Namely New Austria/Francesca and Gran Patagonia/Priscilla themselves, representing the Royalist and Republican powers respectively. The DeviantArt version can be found here.

Both of them have been around since the very beginnings of the timeline's creations, when they were just OCs. Remarkably, however, more than a few elements, such as their general descriptions, personalities, and identities as "Nation-Personifications" have remained relatively consistent over the years, even putting into account the retcons and changes. That being said, if you can read through the "redacted" text, you may find a few extra surprises.

While the background maps are based on my recently-posted The Long Cold War-A Paralyzed World, the art was also done by the talented Warrior Desu (who can also be found on Pixiv). So, kudos to him for an excellent job!

At any rate, hope you enjoy this present. Happy Holidays and see you in better times. 2021, here we come!

----

The Ladies of the New World (AD 2024): RDNA-verse

deb1oe3-55343492-9819-4845-8ca3-44448b6b628f.png

View attachment 610766
A little Christmas Eve throw-together.
The basic idea is that the USA never adopts the Constitution, and collapses under the weight of the silly bloody Articles of Confederation. The state centred in Pennsylvania is the closest to an "American successor state". Spain is able to get its version of the border dispute against Georgia.
The Louisiana Purchase and Treaty of San Idelfonso still occur; Britain occupies New Orleans but does little else. A modus vivendi is worked out between Britain and the American countries on the East Coast.

At the end of the war, Bourbon Spain is rewarded for its resistance against Napoleon by having its control over Louisiana (less New Orleans which the British keep) and West Florida confirmed. The Napoleonic Wars go as per OTL.

Just a little throw-together.
I don't buy the three-way division of the Delmarva peninsula. Maryland claimed the whole thing against Virginia, so if it's part of a federation that's denying Virginia a foothold on Delmarva it'll be the entity controlling the Eastern Shore.

Hey remember that Cyberpunk map I was working on a while ago? Yeah, probably not. But since the word has been all over the news recently I decided to keep at it, and I even gave it a totally radical color scheme!

View attachment 610055

This isn't any setting in particular, it's set in 200X as a mishmash of Cyberpunk and *near-future* tropes both old and new: Megacorps become inmensely powerful against irrelevant states, Japan Takes Over The World, a mega-USA that's basically three megacorps under a trenchcoat, a super European Union, the USSR collapses with some communist holdouts, Hong Kong becomes a great power, the inevitable Indo-Pakistani war, and so on. Some things I added like a Mercosur mostly dominated by foreign megacorporations (except the Paraguayan Yacyretá megacorp), Chile not existing as a state anymore, just a board of investors, and the Chinese Civil War II: The Republic Strikes Back.

I'm still not entirely happy with the colors used for the borders (I tried white but it didn't look well) and some of the color schemes. I think I will choose darker colors for the states (what's left of them anyways) and bright neon colors for the megacorps so they stand out.

I'm also still working in what remains of Russia and India, but the rest of the world I've got mostly figured out. The hard part will be to slowly fill in the megacorps controlled portions of the world (which are also in this world the ones with the best internet connection and technology, anything outside of them and you might as well be in the woods).

I'm still naming the megacorps; In the US, or rather NAFTA, the orange one in California is Fruit Tree, a merger of Amazon and Apple, supposedly 'cooler' and 'relaxed' compared to its rival in Seattle, Microcomputers Incorporated, a merger of Microsoft and IBM. But they're both megacorporations in the end. The rest are US Steel & Oil Consolidated (the military-industrial complex with a brand), Commonwealth Resources (a merger of Canadian, Australian and British mining and industrial concerns) and as a yet unnamed merger of McDonalds and Walmart. The European Union also has its own set of Megacorps, and Japan has its own Zaibatsus, as well as a yet unnamed Hong-Kong cartel and the Hyundai-Samsung conglomerate that manage to be surprisingly powerful despite being deep in the Japanese sphere. In South America, there's the Yacyretá Multi-National entity and as of yet unnamed Brazilian megacorp.

If you have any ideas for names or other corporations I'm listening! I won't add too many of them though, they ARE MEGAcorporations after all.
What about Indian and Southeast Asian Corporations?

That's not a big classic cyberpunk trope, really.
I mean it depends on if you want the setting to be only tropes or not. It'd be cool to switch things up and have a Vietnamese megacorp for once (that'd actually be interesting, seeing how State Capitalism fuses with the presence of a Megacorp)

Status
Not open for further replies.