Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
google translate *really* doesn't like translating the word "gold" into Japanese, preferring to transliterate it instead, pulling any other word with it. It's as if there's no word for gold in Japanese, which makes no sense
I think the Japanese have a word that means something like "precious metals" in general, rather than separate terms for silver and gold.

Edit: although looking it up, it seems the same word has several different kanji, one for each specific metal.

Last edited:
In particular I'd want to do different things with the text, because for me there's a difference between 'that font looks a little modern' and 'that font looks like digital text' and thus unfortunately veered more towards the latter, and it's a problem I've started to have with small text on my maps. I suspect a number of people don't notice it much but it's starting to bug me a bit.
When you point it out I can see it. The best suggestion I can make is doing some postproduction work in Photoshop or suchlike to give the small text something of a distressed look. A little bit of subtle distortion and blurring for that printer's-error look, maybe?

I asked some friends this is what they said

Screenshot_20211027-213601_GroupMe.jpg

Last edited:
1finishedpersia.png

There's a lot of lore I've thought of but haven't bothered to write down so questions are encouraged :3
Aristagoras successfully conquers Naxos in 499 BC, preventing the Ionian revolts. They still happen but later down the timeline, after Alexander the Great’s death. Hannibal burns Rome to the ground during the Second Punic War and alternate migration shenanigans ensue. Japan discovers the Crystal Lands in the 1300's after the rise of Tianxia, though Carthage only reaches it in the late 1500's. In the 1600's an asteroid hits Mar's South Pole, releasing the Co2 and water ice necessary to terraform Mars. As Communism spread in the 1700's Persia and China are pressured into a space race against Gothania during the Cold War equivalent. ]

Tianxia:

After the Mongol invasions China, under the second Han Dynasty, reinterpreted the ideas of the Mandate of Heaven, seeing that no leader could know if he was truly given the Mandate. Instead, a ruler could only act to his best ability and only the people could know if he was divine. So China started electing their emperors once every 50 years. Having witnessed first hand the Mongol invasions the ruling emperor came to believe that peace could only be achieved when all under Heaven were under the order of China.
Aztecs:
Japan offered the Aztec an alliance but only if they gave up their ritual of child sacrifices. Most agreed with the Aztec emperor in refusing the deal. However, after Japanese (somewhat questionable) stories of the Chinese striving to appease Heaven and falling due to their arrogance circled around the Aztecs, discussion began once again. Here the Aztecs stood at the fork between obliteration and glories undreamed. Through arguing and discussion philosophers grew throughout, pushing public opinion against child sacrifice. When the emperor saw that the people had changed their mind he held a meeting between influential villagers, Tlatoani, and Cihuacoatl, to decide their future. Some had refused the idea of abandoning the ritual, seeing it as the first sign of Japan destroying their culture. Others refused to continue practicing such abhorrent practices, making secret meetings with Japanese messengers and emissaries. As discussion turned to intense arguing the Emperor only shook his head and left, afterwards preparing his loyal troops for civil war. With Japan on their side the civil war was rather quick. The old emperor was moved to the council of four, the government centralized around Mexico-Tenochtitlan, and the mandate of heaven brought the Aztecs into a new age.
Huns:
Coming from central Asia, the Huns invaded the Ostrogoths, pushing them as far west as the Wisla and as far south as the Carpithians. Unsatisfied with the following stalemate the Huns reconsolidated their forces and attacked the (a little less then in centuries prior) mighty Persians. Carthage agrees to help Persia and send in their own army after hearing of the Ostrogth’s loss at the hands of the Huns. The Persian-Carthaginian-Ostrogothic war against the Huns is swift but costly. After the war the Gauls and Germans rebel against Carthage, creating their own kingdoms. Greek nationalists, largely unaffected by the war, proclaim the Neo-Greek State. Using guerilla tactics the Greek manage to win, although after the death of their leader they’re conquered by Persia.]

I had thought it was Kin, I've never heard of Ougon
黄金 is the way it's written; as far as I can tell it's one of a few synonyms for the physical metal gold, and it has different readings as well.

Generally for the purposes of alternate East Asian colonies in OTL California, I prefer variations of the historical name 金山, or Gamsaan in Cantonese. In Japanese this would be rendered as "Kinzan," although it when used as a surname it's pronounced "Kanayama."

This is an OTL map (for my TL's latest Reformation-themed update) showing the ecclesiastical dispositions of the Danish realm at the ascension of Christian II in 1513. Took a lot of time to research and get right, although I'm still a bit unsatisfied with the final result.

Still, it's probably the only of its kind available in English.

detjj6f-93305e7c-ff3d-45b1-8434-b6701bbe1c68.png

I had thought it was Kin, I've never heard of Ougon
"Ougon" is better translated "golden" in English, so it isn't an exact synonym.
黄金 is the way it's written; as far as I can tell it's one of a few synonyms for the physical metal gold, and it has different readings as well.

Generally for the purposes of alternate East Asian colonies in OTL California, I prefer variations of the historical name 金山, or Gamsaan in Cantonese. In Japanese this would be rendered as "Kinzan," although it when used as a surname it's pronounced "Kanayama."
金山 was the name for San Francisco rather than California as a whole and eventually became "Old 金山" once the Australian gold rushes started. In any case, the idea of California as a land of gold would pretty much need to rely on the natives actually having gold (and the gold not being relatively far away from any safe harbor in California), although the Bay Area natives certainly did use cinnabar mined at New Almaden (one of the richest sources of mercury in the Americas).

This is an OTL map (for my TL's latest Reformation-themed update) showing the ecclesiastical dispositions of the Danish realm at the ascension of Christian II in 1513. Took a lot of time to research and get right, although I'm still a bit unsatisfied with the final result.

Still, it's probably the only of its kind available in English.

detjj6f-93305e7c-ff3d-45b1-8434-b6701bbe1c68.png
Were the "clerical fief-holders" consistently the local bishops, or was it more complicated than that?

Were the "clerical fief-holders" consistently the local bishops, or was it more complicated than that?

Theoretically speaking, only nobles or prelates could serve as fief-holders, so yes more often than not the ecclesiastical administrators were the local bishops.

Absolutely beautiful. Is this based on something IRL? How did you go about finding the place and family names?
The style is, there's a particular type of road map from the 18th century that this follows fairly closely, but location-wise? No. I made up all the place names and family names. Benefits of living in a country where place names and personal names feel chosen by random generator at times.

When you point it out I can see it. The best suggestion I can make is doing some postproduction work in Photoshop or suchlike to give the small text something of a distressed look. A little bit of subtle distortion and blurring for that printer's-error look, maybe?
That's probably it, the difficulty being that I haven't had as much experience with PS and the fact that it wants to create a new layer for every text box is a bit tiresome. However, I've run into the concept of smart layers and will be giving that a try soon I think.

I've hit an active patch, apparently. This was me trying a more uniformly handdrawn approach after that last road map, this time of somewhere historical.

detll3a-376cf272-aac7-40f7-9bec-91a5f588ad0f.png

I'm back again with another map. It's a Paint-made butterfly-effect-ignorin', plausibility-hatin', logic-avoidin', proper-lore-lackin', empire-wankin', porphyry-lovin' BIG GREECE™.

It's a love letter for all of my fellow Byzaboos and Hellenophiles, into which I poured my heart and soul (the map, not the lore - I wrote it at midnight and I was tired).

The Empire of the Romans (from now on called Byzantine for simplicity's [and my own] sake) is one of the world's major powers. It is influential, prestigious, rich and powerful, every single thing that you'd expect from a world power and Europe's (third) finest.

The Byzantines have a very vast colonial empire that they have acquired through the centuries, and their influence can be felt everywhere from Africa to Indonesia to East Asia. They became keener on Africa in the early 15th century, conquering Cyrenaica and later using Egypt as a springboard to expand into the Horn, which would later lead them south into Azania. The Byzantines became more ambitious, and their extensive (and lucrative) trips to India and East Asia sent shockwaves of jealousy to western Europeans, thus helping kickstart the Age of Exploration [1].

Over the next centuries, the Byzantines would compete with other European naval powers for influence, especially in the very hotly contested India and Indonesia, acquiring multiple territories and ports, allowing for the expansion of the Orthodox faith and the spread of Greek colonists à la Ancient Greece. They'd discover Antipodaea in the 18th century, settling it with colonists of multiple backgrounds, among which you could find Greeks, Armenians, Latins, Copts, Assyrians, Slavs and Kurds. In the 19th and 20th centuries, with the overall weakening of China, they'd take the ports of Xanthona, Chaïtzoupolis and Nikopolis (Shantou, Lianyungang and Yuhuan, respectively).

However, such a massive empire couldn't come without issues. The Empire's Azanian provinces have been facing escalating troubles, with an ethnic and religious conflict brewing and close to exploding into civil war, which could prove to be long and costly. Also the increasingly revanchist Zhao [2] and the growth of the independence movement in Antipodaea.

[1] I'm not 100% decided on this. It's subject to change, and I'm open to suggestions
[2] The most powerful Chinese (here used as a regional term) state. Shaanxi + Henan + Shandong + Shanxi + Hebei + Tianjin + Beijing. Named after the multiple other states that have existed around that same area in the past.

I haven't posted a map of East Asia yet, but basically, China has been broken (whether it'll reunify soon or not, I haven't decided yet) into multiple states which I carved along linguistic and ethnic borders and sometimes influenced by a more drastic ATL Warlord Era, with Western and Japanese-backed puppet states. I know broken China maps trigger the living shit out of some people, but whatever - I didn't do it as a power fantasy or something along those lines.

I'm yet to come up with an actual, properly-made history for the map rather than the vague-ish statements above, so please, no complicated questions

1635370478886.png

I'm back again with another map. It's a Paint-made butterfly-effect-ignorin', plausibility-hatin', logic-avoidin', proper-lore-lackin', empire-wankin', porphyry-lovin' BIG GREECE™.

It's a love letter for all of my fellow Byzaboos and Hellenophiles, into which I poured my heart and soul (the map, not the lore - I wrote it at midnight and I was tired).

The Empire of the Romans (from now on called Byzantine for simplicity's [and my own] sake) is one of the world's major powers. It is influential, prestigious, rich and powerful, every single thing that you'd expect from a world power and Europe's (third) finest.

The Byzantines have a very vast colonial empire that they have acquired through the centuries, and their influence can be felt everywhere from Africa to Indonesia to East Asia. They became keener on Africa in the early 15th century, conquering Cyrenaica and later using Egypt as a springboard to expand into the Horn, which would later lead them south into Azania. The Byzantines became more ambitious, and their extensive (and lucrative) trips to India and East Asia sent shockwaves of jealousy to western Europeans, thus helping kickstart the Age of Exploration [1].

Over the next centuries, the Byzantines would compete with other European naval powers for influence, especially in the very hotly contested India and Indonesia, acquiring multiple territories and ports, allowing for the expansion of the Orthodox faith and the spread of Greek colonists à la Ancient Greece. They'd discover Antipodaea in the 18th century, settling it with colonists of multiple backgrounds, among which you could find Greeks, Armenians, Latins, Copts, Assyrians, Slavs and Kurds. In the 19th and 20th centuries, with the overall weakening of China, they'd take the ports of Xanthona, Chaïtzoupolis and Nikopolis (Shantou, Lianyungang and Yuhuan, respectively).

However, such a massive empire couldn't come without issues. The Empire's Azanian provinces have been facing escalating troubles, with an ethnic and religious conflict brewing and close to exploding into civil war, which could prove to be long and costly. Also the increasingly revanchist Zhao [2] and the growth of the independence movement in Antipodaea.

[1] I'm not 100% decided on this. It's subject to change, and I'm open to suggestions
[2] The most powerful Chinese (here used as a regional term) state. Shaanxi + Henan + Shandong + Shanxi + Hebei + Tianjin + Beijing. Named after the multiple other states that have existed around that same area in the past.

I haven't posted a map of East Asia yet, but basically, China has been broken (whether it'll reunify soon or not, I haven't decided yet) into multiple states which I carved along linguistic and ethnic borders and sometimes influenced by a more drastic ATL Warlord Era, with Western and Japanese-backed puppet states. I know broken China maps trigger the living shit out of some people, but whatever - I didn't do it as a power fantasy or something along those lines.

I'm yet to come up with an actual, properly-made history for the map rather than the vague-ish statements above, so please, no complicated questions

View attachment 691027
Byzstralia, Byzania and the Byz-Indies.

View attachment 691027
It is very rare to see a rhomanian colonial empire, I mean unless it is an Agent of Byzantium world, or a world where the Rhomaion rolled sixes, it is very interesting to see something like this. Nice work. Would be interested in seeing more other colonial empires like this perhaps a world where Vlad Draculesti made short work of the ottomans and end up creating an empire to send fear into peoples minds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.