Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
An excellent selection!
Thank you!

Enlil is the name of an ancient mesopotamian God: so a mid-eastern power comparable. perhaps, to the Umayyad Caliphate in extent?
Something like that. I was imagining a codified worship of the Mesopotamian gods spread around the region and an empire formed. So yes, like the Umayyad Caliphate but somehow even bigger.

Now this is definitely an interesting scenario: Napoleonic "Hellenistic Era?" :)
I essentially used this as a dumping ground for ideas I had but couldn't make a map of the whole world out of. Here the idea was just Napoleon dying and his Marshals taking the roles of the diadochi. I hadn't thought much past that but a "French Age" analogous to the Hellenistic Era would be very interesting.

I'm afraid this one doesn't work for me: an Obama and the Democrats right-wing paranoid fantasy, with the band-aid of a brain injury? In mid 2020 it just strikes me as in poor taste and perhaps a bit too political for the map thread.
Yeah, you have a point with this one. I did wonder if it could be skirting the line when I made it. It was an interesting idea, but maybe not the best place to put it or way to realize it.

I'm loving this series of maps! It really reminds me of Beedok's old Alphabet ISOT map series. Keep up the good work!
Thanks! The concept of his excellent series was an inspiration to start this one.

Disclaimer: I haven't been directly refering to any of her work though, so any similarity in the content of each map is completely coincidental!

Last edited:
From the UAR-verse

de23f1m-f84d9748-8d05-46c9-82c7-63958cf046c3.png

The Governate of Transylvania has been seeing a concerning spike as CVD-19 cases nearly doubled over the last month, going from 83,568 confirmed cases on June 26 to 166,711 as of July 26 (+99.49%). A lot of the increase has occurred in Transylvania's Boone County, where Daniel Morgan III has resisted calls for a mask mandate. Though the realm's executive, Lord-Governor Stephen Beshear, has enacted an indefinite stay-at-home order since April of this year, a phased reopening had begun late May. With cases surging again, however, the Lord-Governor has once again tightened restrictions. Bars, gyms, and recreational businesses and activities which require extremely close proximity and tend to amass more than 20 people at a single time have once again been forced to close entirely. Restaurants, which had begun letting customers back in at 50% capacity, must cut that back down to 25%.

The Lord-Governors biggest move, however, has been his issuance of a controversial mask mandate. Though wearing a mask has been consistently touted by the health and scientific community as the number one way to control the spread of the virus, the realm has yet to adopt a mandate requiring all to wear one. This isn't because the Lord-Governor has been opposed to the idea - he's been aggressively telling citizens to wear them for months. The issue is a provision in the Transylvania Constitution which prohibits the realm government from issuing decrees mandating citizens of the realm wear (or not wear) articles of clothing, instead granting that power to the county level and even then limiting such mandates to clothing that either: a) is outrageous or obscene; b) explicitly supports domestic terror; or c) can be expected to more likely than not lead to harm to another. Because only county level governments can issue any mandate concerning articles of clothing, Lord-Governor Beshear has hoped that Lord-Counts would do so on their own with significant prodding from the realm. As of July 15, less than half of the Lord-Counts had issued mask mandates within their boundaries, and some, most notably Daniel Morgan III of Boone, have openly voiced opposition to any such measure.

With cases growing at a fast pace and deaths starting to rise as well, the Lord-Governor issued Executive Order 20-0718 on Friday afternoon. Citing the Lord-Governor's constitutional authority to "take emergency measures when danger to public safety or likelihood of irreparable harm" is extremely high, the new executive order officially implements a mask mandate realmwide. Beshear's legal team is prepping an argument along the lines that the mask mandate does not violate the Transylvanian Constitution's provision against realm-wide clothing orders because the mandate is not meant in any way to control public expression, say, by banning shirts with alcohol or of the opposition. The Lord-Governor intends to argue that the provision's three listed exceptions which Lord-Counts can cite to in order to pass such mandates inherently show that what is being protected is the right to express beliefs, statements, support, etc., by way of clothings, and that a mask mandate does not hinder anyone's ability to express themselves through their clothing. The argument, however well intentioned, is unlikely to survive the court challenge to come, but until a realm court issues a restraining order on the new mandate it is legally enforceable.

There are other measures the Lord-Governor can take, such as banning travel out of heavily affected counties altogether, a move he has threatened to use against Boone County. Such a drastic measure, however, sours public opinion and the Lord-Governor has been hesitant on enflaming an already delicate situation. Daniel Morgan III appeared at a press conference the morning of Saturday, July 25, promising to demand court action as soon as Monday morning while going as far as calling Beshear a tyrant.

This is really cool, will you do any follow up for it?

ps, did you make a low res version of this a while ago?
Thanks! And nah, I'm not planning a follow-up, though I figure the Norman Empire probably collapses as a result of the Black Plague in the next few decades after the map. I suppose it could be interesting to try to figure out how the Crusader States would end up without Palermo propping them up.
And yep, good memory! I did a World A version of the same idea two years ago: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-96

What's up with Minnesota?
The area was initially settled by Canadians mostly coming through Michigan's upper peninsular to avoid the inhospitable environment north of Lake Superior. As it's south of the 49th parallel, Minnesota fell under US sovereignty, but was granted greater self-government as the "Minnesota Canadian Republic", as Washington was more interested in the Gulf coast and south west, allowing the republic to essentially become an unofficial Canadian province. The same structure would later be used for Yazoo, California and New Texas.

I was going to post a map of the other ex-Confederate countries from my timeline before I did any more Florida material, but this map is done and the other one will take some more time, so...

Republic of Florida National Assembly Election, 2017
In Florida, the legislative branch consists of a unicameral National Assembly with 125 members. Florida's elections use proportional representation, unlike all the other American republics where legislative members are elected directly. Each of Florida's counties elect a number of members that corresponds to the county's percentage of the national population, and parties are awarded seats on the basis of how many votes their slate of candidates wins per county.

Going into 2017, the Populist Party held a slim majority with 63 of the assembly's 125 seats. Under prime minister Hollis Bennett, the Populists had successfully expanded beyond their traditional stronghold in the northern Panhandle by performing well in the central counties of Tocobaga, Orange, and St. Johns. In 2013, this enabled the Populists to obtain the narrowest of majorities on the basis of public disgust over the corruption scandals connected to the outgoing Democratic prime minister. However, the Populists and their unconventional leader Bennett, a businessman with no political experience, found governing a tougher challenge than campaigning against an unpopular incumbent. The new government never truly recovered from its botched response to a severe hurricane season in 2014, when its efforts to get power restored in several major cities were marred by delays and accusations that contracts were being sold to unqualified bidders with connections to Bennett's personal business interests. The perception that Florida had simply replaced one corrupt leader with another grew as Bennett, owner of numerous hotels around Palm Beach, struggled to explain why notorious figures from the international underworld kept visiting his properties. This problem reached a head with Bennett's notorious gaffe when he angrily responded to a reporter's question about the visits of an alleged New York mob boss by saying, "Icepick Tony is not someone I know, OK? Icepick Tony is not a friend of mine," words that his opponents gleefully turned against him in attack ads. All this combined with a shaky economy resulting from a recession in the United States that hurt Florida's tourist industry to give the Populists poor odds of winning another term. Election day saw the Democrats resurgent and the Populists beaten back to their traditional base in the north and rural south.

florida national.png

How much of a gap is there in tech between the Martians and Europe/America? Have the latter managed to get hold of any of it?
I'm thinking that the Nrians were plucked from their Martian timeline a little after the year 2300. So about 300 years ahead. A major advancement (compared to OTL) I'm thinking of is that sapient AI exist and have citizenship rights, etc.
On 'Martian-Euromerican interactions' (for want of a less ugly phrase): Some technology has trickled through, but at the moment the only country with a 5-star relationship with a Martian nation is France (with Nri).

The next map in my time zone ISOT series. This one is a jump forward (or rather backwards!) to UTC-05:00, as requested by @Cantra.

Nicely done. At first I was confused, because I saw some maps showing Quintana Roo as part of the Mexico City time zone, meaning they wouldn't be appearing in this scenario, but then I looked a little closer and saw that they changed timezones in 2015. Then I looked even closer and saw that for some of the year, Quintana Roo's clocks are aligned with Mexico City, and the rest of the year, they're aligned with Cuba. Or is that also out of date? I'm not sure. Here's my source. Anyway, I'm pretty sure parts of Indiana do that too, and it's not necessarily because Indiana and Quintana Roo are being contrarian, it could very well be because DST was a somewhat misguided idea that doesn't really conserve electricity and almost certainly has the dangerous side effect of increasing the risk of heart attacks during the time of year when you have to go without that extra hour. It might make a nice addition to the ISOT to have the non-DST regions ending up somehow half-in and half-out, with it being up to you to decide what that means. I guess the simpler way to handle it would be to have the ISOT not have any ambiguous border regions, but instead just have its boundaries depend on whether it took place in June or December.

Thanks! And nah, I'm not planning a follow-up, though I figure the Norman Empire probably collapses as a result of the Black Plague in the next few decades after the map. I suppose it could be interesting to try to figure out how the Crusader States would end up without Palermo propping them up.
And yep, good memory! I did a World A version of the same idea two years ago: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xviii.448574/page-96

I remeber it being something really different. And I like the Normans generally so it stuck with me.

I would like to see it keep going, a major world power focused on the Med is interesting post-Rome.

Also their zeal and sea experience could lead to a VERY different colonisation history.

I remeber it being something really different. And I like the Normans generally so it stuck with me.

I would like to see it keep going, a major world power focused on the Med is interesting post-Rome.

Also their zeal and sea experience could lead to a VERY different colonisation history.
That's a good point, maybe I'll explore the Age of Exploration with a surviving Mediterranean hegemon. Should be interesting!

Nicely done. At first I was confused, because I saw some maps showing Quintana Roo as part of the Mexico City time zone, meaning they wouldn't be appearing in this scenario, but then I looked a little closer and saw that they changed timezones in 2015. Then I looked even closer and saw that for some of the year, Quintana Roo's clocks are aligned with Mexico City, and the rest of the year, they're aligned with Cuba. Or is that also out of date? I'm not sure. Here's my source. Anyway, I'm pretty sure parts of Indiana do that too, and it's not necessarily because Indiana and Quintana Roo are being contrarian, it could very well be because DST was a somewhat misguided idea that doesn't really conserve electricity and almost certainly has the dangerous side effect of increasing the risk of heart attacks during the time of year when you have to go without that extra hour. It might make a nice addition to the ISOT to have the non-DST regions ending up somehow half-in and half-out, with it being up to you to decide what that means. I guess the simpler way to handle it would be to have the ISOT not have any ambiguous border regions, but instead just have its boundaries depend on whether it took place in June or December.
I'm using the standard time zones and ignoring DST as it's simpler really! In the case of Quintana Roo, I think the current situation is that the state uses UTC-05:00 all year, while Mexico City uses UTC-06:00 as its standard (winter) time and UTC-05:00 for DST.

Personally, I don't like how the switch back from DST in October makes it suddenly completely dark at 5pm, but otherwise it's a fairly painless adjustment.

That's a good point, maybe I'll explore the Age of Exploration with a surviving Mediterranean hegemon. Should be interesting!
Hey wild, sorry to jump on the dogtails of a reply you made to another user, but didn't want to keep on flipping back to the map.
Just wondering what happened to the Normans in England ITTL, and otherwise to England/France as a whole, as I note that Aquitaine and Brittany warrant mention, but apparent autonomous within the Crown of France.
All the best, and will be interesting to see what this 'mysterious' plague shall bring to the Norman Mediterranean Empire,
From ML8991

The Governate of Transylvania has been seeing a concerning spike as CVD-19 cases nearly doubled over the last month, going from 83,568 confirmed cases on June 26 to 166,711 as of July 26 (+99.49%).
How many cases of this alternate coronavirus would America have ITTL?

yes, as even if the Empire splinters a bit (or a lot), you still have common langue and religion linking the Med in a way it wasn't it otl, also egypt would have interesting knock on effects.

Last edited:
Very impressive! A few questions:

1] do the different colors indicate elevation for the map of the empire? Mongolia looks very distinct from the rest, as if it is almost all at one elevation with little local variation.
2] What's the story with mega-New York in north America?
2] Speaking of North America, what is that area in the south with the red and black diagonals supposed to represent?
3] Is that an alt-Deseret around Salt Lake city?
4] Europe (united Netherlands, the German Empire and it's border with Russia) is looking a bit butterfly-resistant: when was the POD?

5] One quibble: too many rivers. Most of us aren't here for the hydrography. :)

Thank you,

1] Yes, I used my Topography map and blended in GIMP.
2] This is an alternative US that gained less from the AWI and lost the ACW. The state below it is the CSA and the cross-hatching is a Slave revolt/Proto Am/Af state.
3] This is a Shosone state supported/vassal to Kogyuro
4] I envisaged the POD as the early 1400's where Korea/Kogyuro continue with the development of the Turtle Ship [the first Ironclad] and have to up their technology level as a result making them the pre-eminent power in the east until European interests started arriving, still, things are looking up after the alliance with the UK and limited exchanges of military tech.

5] I like rivers, too many borders follow them for them not to be represented as well as possible. I consider each one a potential border.

Status
Not open for further replies.