Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next map in my time zone ISOT series. This one is a jump forward (or rather backwards!) to UTC-05:00, as requested by @Cantra.

View attachment 569612

UTC-05:00
Territories transported: Canada (most of Nunavut, Ontario and Quebec), United States (Atlantic and east Great Lakes states), Bahamas, Turks & Caicos Islands, Haiti, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico (Quintana Roo), Panama, Colombia, Ecuador (exc. Galápagos Islands), Brazil (Acre, western Amazonas), Peru

For many years following the Event, experts (academic and armchair alike) predicted the imminent dissolution of Canada as Anglophone Ontario and Francophone Quebec pulled in opposite directions. However disputes over Nunavut and the newly settled territories blocked any mutually agreed separation arrangement, and one new English- and French-speaking provinces were admitted, the issue was muddied. Instead the Canadian Confederation was loosened into a three-part realm of Anglo, French and Inuit Canada, with the European provinces and territories becoming the fourth part a few decades later.

In contrast to Canada's difficulties, the United States saw the opportunities a new Wild West (minus the native Americans) presented, quickly expanding and creating new territories, states and autonomous republics along the way. While most Americans threw themselves into "Making America Again" (later extended to the whole world), some academics and government officials couldn't help questioning what the Event actually was and whether there was evidence waiting in wilderness? Such esoteric wondering didn't bother others though, as Quintana Roo developed and expanded its Mayan Riviera (while simultaneously pushing out actual Mayans), Panama set about digging a new, bigger and better canal, and billionaires, island nations and eccentrics alike staked their claims to the hundreds of desert islands in the Caribbean.

While the United States was the unquestioned global power, in South America Colombia emerged as the leading regional power, intervening in Ecuador, central America and Acre (multiple times) to stabilise the region while pushing forward its own boundaries first to oil-rich Lake Maracaibo, then further along the Caribbean coast, into the Amazon and, albeit not yet successfully, across the Atlantic to Africa.
Another nice map in the series.

I do want to ask, could we have Xinjiang and Tibet included in both the UTC+06:00 and UTC+08:00 ISOTs? Locals do observe both timezones, particularly in Xinjiang.

Also, I would suggest bundling the following together, since some timezones would be underpopulated:

+14, +13, +12:45 (Chatham Islands), +12
+10:30 (Lord Howe Island), +10
+9:30 (Northern Territory, South Australia), +9, +8:45 (Eucla)
+7, +6:30 (Myanmar, Cocos Islands)
+6, +5:45 (Nepal), +5:30 (India, Sri Lanka) [Alternatively, just +5:45 and +5:30]
+5, +4:30 (Afghanistan)
+4, +3:30 (Iran)
-1, -2, -3
-3:30 (Newfoundland), -4
-9, -9:30 (French Polynesia), -10, -11, -12

Last edited:

I do want to ask, could we have Xinjiang and Tibet included in both the UTC+06:00 and UTC+08:00 ISOTs? Locals do observe both timezones, particularly in Xinjiang.

Also, I would suggest bundling the following together, since some timezones would be underpopulated:

+6, +5:45 (Nepal), +5:30 (India, Sri Lanka)
-1, -2, -3

Alternatively, have a separate map for all of the fractional timezones.

I really like this series. You are drawing good maps.
Timezones seem to have a lot of potential. One question, how many years post ISOT are your maps set? That's a lot of territorial expansion for some countries.
Thank you! I thought time zones would be an interesting spin on the ISOT theme.

I'm imagining it's between 100 and 150 years post-ISOT, but don't want to put an exact figure on it - it probably varies with each map in the series. Generally, I'm trying to show a point where enough time's passed to make things interesting, but not so much that everything's become a blob and the connection to the starting conditions are lost. Using OTL as a rough guide for the possible pace of expansion, it was 175 years from the US Declaration of Independence to the admittance of Hawaii as the 50th state.

+6, +5:45 (Nepal), +5:30 (India, Sri Lanka) [Alternatively, just +5:45 and +5:30]
-1, -2, -3
Alternatively, have a separate map for all of the fractional timezones.
I am aware of the issue with Xinjiang time, and TBH haven't decided yet how I'm going to handle it! Most of the other unofficial deviations are small enough areas that they either don't show up on a Worlda scale, or would no longer be an issue after a few decades of expansion.

I'm planning to make separate maps for the fractional and underpopulated time zones, but posting them together in a single post, mostly as suggested. I thought this would be a good compromise between sticking to the concept of each time zone getting its own world, while avoiding the post being too boring, and also meaning the series doesn't drag on too long!

Mega Korea Redux
15c;Empire of Koguryo 1885.4 city names.png
16;Koguryo 1895.02.png

Why is Vancouver Island not in Thicc Korea? What stops Thicc Korea from conquering China?
Vancouver Island was claimed by Koguryo's ally, the UK shortly after it's discovery.

Koguryo' manpower is limited due to it's emigration policy and the fact that they refuse to grant full citizenship to any other than those of "Korean Heritage"
They are in effect a proto-Fascist state.

NB I do not condone this

The next map in my time zone ISOT series. This one is a jump forward (or rather backwards!) to UTC-05:00, as requested by @Cantra.

View attachment 569612

UTC-05:00
Territories transported: Canada (most of Nunavut, Ontario and Quebec), United States (Atlantic and east Great Lakes states), Bahamas, Turks & Caicos Islands, Haiti, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Mexico (Quintana Roo), Panama, Colombia, Ecuador (exc. Galápagos Islands), Brazil (Acre, western Amazonas), Peru

For many years following the Event, experts (academic and armchair alike) predicted the imminent dissolution of Canada as Anglophone Ontario and Francophone Quebec pulled in opposite directions. However disputes over Nunavut and the newly settled territories blocked any mutually agreed separation arrangement, and one new English- and French-speaking provinces were admitted, the issue was muddied. Instead the Canadian Confederation was loosened into a three-part realm of Anglo, French and Inuit Canada, with the European provinces and territories becoming the fourth part a few decades later.

In contrast to Canada's difficulties, the United States saw the opportunities a new Wild West (minus the native Americans) presented, quickly expanding and creating new territories, states and autonomous republics along the way. While most Americans threw themselves into "Making America Again" (later extended to the whole world), some academics and government officials couldn't help questioning what the Event actually was and whether there was evidence waiting in wilderness? Such esoteric wondering didn't bother others though, as Quintana Roo developed and expanded its Mayan Riviera (while simultaneously pushing out actual Mayans), Panama set about digging a new, bigger and better canal, and billionaires, island nations and eccentrics alike staked their claims to the hundreds of desert islands in the Caribbean.

While the United States was the unquestioned global power, in South America Colombia emerged as the leading regional power, intervening in Ecuador, central America and Acre (multiple times) to stabilise the region while pushing forward its own boundaries first to oil-rich Lake Maracaibo, then further along the Caribbean coast, into the Amazon and, albeit not yet successfully, across the Atlantic to Africa.
I mean, at least some good came out of this, with the Galápagos becoming more natural

Starforce

Banned
Thank you! It's probably about 120 years post-ISOT, so 2120.

Damn. For more more immediate things, would internet and a relatively decent style of life persist in the territories ISOT'd, its not like its a small area so I assume most people would survive, right?

1595794099208.png

Map of the Grand Kingdom of Athens in 1474, after the first war against the Ottomans (aka everyone yeeted them), based on my current eu4 game.

Mega Korea Redux

Very impressive! A few questions:

do the different colors indicate elevation for the map of the empire? Mongolia looks very distinct from the rest, as if it is almost all at one elevation with little local variation.
What's the story with mega-New York in north America?
Speaking of North America, what is that area in the south with the red and black diagonals supposed to represent? Is that an alt-Deseret around Salt Lake city?
Europe (united Netherlands, the German Empire and it's border with Russia) is looking a bit butterfly-resistant: when was the POD?

One quibble: too many rivers. Most of us aren't here for the hydrography. :)

South America 1823.png

A map showing the state of South America at the beginning of 1823, at the end of the TTL's Latin American Wars for Independence (1809-1822) from the latest update from my timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.