Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A map of an alternate method of apportioning seats in the US Senate. Instead of every state getting 2 seats, the states are divided into 4 "tiers" with each tier containing roughly 25% of the country's population. The largest states get 5 seats, the next largest get 4 seats, the third largest get 3, and the smallest states get 2. Just like the House of Representatives, under this system the Senate is reapportioned after every census. This is more a thought experiment map with no real POD, given that a proposal like this is not politically feasible and probably never has been at any point in the country's history.
alt senate.png

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
A map of an alternate method of apportioning seats in the US Senate. Instead of every state getting 2 seats, the states are divided into 4 "tiers" with each tier containing roughly 25% of the country's population. The largest states get 5 seats, the next largest get 4 seats, the third largest get 3, and the smallest states get 2. Just like the House of Representatives, under this system the Senate is reapportioned after every census. This is more a thought experiment map with no real POD, given that a proposal like this is not politically feasible and probably never has been at any point in the country's history.View attachment 629198
Wouldn't that just turn into the House of Representatives part 2/

A map of an alternate method of apportioning seats in the US Senate. Instead of every state getting 2 seats, the states are divided into 4 "tiers" with each tier containing roughly 25% of the country's population. The largest states get 5 seats, the next largest get 4 seats, the third largest get 3, and the smallest states get 2. Just like the House of Representatives, under this system the Senate is reapportioned after every census. This is more a thought experiment map with no real POD, given that a proposal like this is not politically feasible and probably never has been at any point in the country's history.View attachment 629198
I assume this affected the distribution of EVs as well.

A map of an alternate method of apportioning seats in the US Senate. Instead of every state getting 2 seats, the states are divided into 4 "tiers" with each tier containing roughly 25% of the country's population. The largest states get 5 seats, the next largest get 4 seats, the third largest get 3, and the smallest states get 2. Just like the House of Representatives, under this system the Senate is reapportioned after every census. This is more a thought experiment map with no real POD, given that a proposal like this is not politically feasible and probably never has been at any point in the country's history.
How do elections, term lengths, and classes work ITTL?

Wouldn't that just turn into the House of Representatives part 2/
In this scenario the voice of the average Wyoming voter would still matter than the voice of the average Cali voter (8 million people/Senator in Cali for 300 000 ppl/Senator in Wyoming, still extremely unbalanced in favor of small states)

In this scenario the voice of the average Wyoming voter would still matter than the voice of the average Cali voter (8 million people/Senator in Cali for 300 000 ppl/Senator in Wyoming, still extremely unbalanced in favor of small states)
I assume this affected the distribution of EVs as well.
Yes, I suppose it would have to unless this United States got rid of the EC. My rough calculation is that this system would yield an EC with 571 votes, so 286 are needed to win (assume House stays at 435 + DC's 3 EVs).
How do elections, term lengths, and classes work ITTL?
I hadn't thought much about it, but there are some interesting possibilities. Probably I'd keep one-third of the Senate being up for re-election in each cycle, like OTL. Six year terms. The different choices about electoral methods would create all kinds of potential shenanigans. Each state could be divided into the appropriate number of districts (which means gerrymandering). Or, there could be statewide jungle primaries with the top # of vote getters being elected. Or, it could be like OTL, with separate statewide elections being held for each seat with each party nominating a candidate through primaries. There are probably other methods too.
It would still favor small states a lot more than the House of Representatives overall
Indeed. Unless this method was in use from the beginning (maybe based on the Virginia Plan?) the small states would never agree to it unless they got to keep some measure of over-representation. I thought of this as a moderate Senate reform scenario, not outright abolition and not strict proportionality (which might mean California having 12 senators while MT, WY, ND, and SD share 1 or something like that).

Crossposting from the MotF thread as usual. Do tell me what you think of the map and scenario and everything

ulhWLPj.jpg

The end of days has already come to pass for the Empire. The arrival of the Spanish was a herald to the destruction that would be coming, one that took the form of pestilence and fratricidal war, that brought entire cities to ruin and killed countless people, notables and peasants alike. Which meant that, when the Spanish returned, brandishing their weapons and seeking to conquer all, there was little in the way to stop them. For when the war between the brothers was over, in that very same day, the Spanish returned, and the Inca Atahualpa immediately suspected those strange men were runa quicachac, 'destroyers of peoples'. They were thieves, demons, coming to steal the wealth of the Inca and enslave the people to their perfidious will. Immediately a plan was made to destroy the invader and rid the land of their evil. A trap was set to lure in the demons, but their cunning tricks swept it over the Inca's feet, capturing him and taking him hostage, to ensure the Empire complied to their demands.

Then, they forced the Inca to grant them treasures of gold, which they melted greedily into bars, lying at every time that they would set him and his people free as long as he complied. They ransacked the temples and the cities in their lust for gold, and dared to try the Inca in their daemonic court and sentence him to death, and then forced him to renounce the gods to avoid dying in a pyre. The torturous Spanish murdered him by suffocation instead, for crimes against their sacrilegious morality. After having murdered the Inca, the Spanish declared his brother Túpac Huallpa as their champion, but he wouldn't survive long. Then, the Spanish placed Manco Inca on the throne, as he had been a friend of theirs until then.

Manco Inca had seen the destruction those demons had brought into his country, and was smart enough to pretend to be their ally until the time was ripe to destroy them. He came to know the Spanish and the disputes between their leaders, learning how to do as they had done, and instill discord among them to make them weaker. Then, taking advantage of their untold greed, said he would bring them a golden statue for them to melt, only to escape from their captivity and come join the armies of his people, already amassing to destroy the invader.

With the Inca now safe and free to lead them, the armies of the North advanced over Cusco, where the arch-demon, Pizarro, hosted his court, and over Lima, the port they were using to ship gold to whatever hellish nightmare land their 'Spain' was supposed to be. With the Spanish forces focused on those two cities, their fall would begin the downfall of the entire demoniac venture. And so it was. Manco Inca broke the Spanish, first in Cusco and then in Lima, and entered the city of his ancestors, proclaiming the Empire restored and calling on the peoples, not just under his domain, but all others under the Sun, the barbarians to the south and the tribes to the east and north, to unite and fight against these demonic entities that had come to destroy the world.

The war was brutal like no other had been seen before under the sun. The Spanish demons kept coming from across the sea, from the lands of Panama and Spain, wave after wave. Their terrifying weapons seemed unending, and mightier than anything our people could muster. But Manco Inca was a very smart man, and he understood that, to fight the demons, we would have to learn how to use their weapons. Captured Spanish soldiers were forced to teach us how to wield and create such weapons and our soldiers were quick to adapt, and our smiths quick to learn. Arquebuses, artillery and crossbows were used back against the Spanish, and they were forged within the walls of our cities as well. Horses were left alive and learned how to ride. The Inca himself led battles on such a mount. Soon enough, our soldiers were as strong in combat as their own, and we were ever more capable of pushing back those demons.

Eventually, peace was agreed upon, and trade opened between our ports. The Inca, sensing the need to restore the forces of his people, accepted to allow the Spanish to remain in Guayaquil and in Chile, knowing well that, sooner rather than later, we would come to reclaim those lost lands and throw the Spanish back into the sea. For the time being, however, we trade with them, getting some of their inventions in exchange for the silver and gold they seem so attached to. They leave Tumpis to go onto Guayaquil, and from there to Panama and Spain.

The war might have ended, but we remember the end of days. We are still not as many as we were before the pestilence, and it remains quite deadly, killing many of our people each year. We are still rebuilding our cities and refurnishing our temples from the wars and sacks and depredations suffered upon it by the Spanish. The world ended, night fell upon our mountains but, as always, Inti rose once more, to embrace us with power to fight back. And fight back we will. We know quite well that there is not a ounce of good in Spanish hearts and that we either slay them or they will slay us, when given the chance.

And it seems we might have found an ally in our struggle - ships have come, similar to the Spanish ones, but with a different flag, of even whiter men, who say they are from the land of 'England', and avowed enemies of the Spanish. They say they come not to conquer, but to help us rid ourselves of the Spanish, and promise us weapons and secrets in exchange for the precious metals we dig from the bowels of the Earth. They tell us stories of the lands to the east, what they call 'Europe', and even of a land across the ocean, to where the Spanish send our silver to be exchanged for gifts, a land called 'Qin'. At the moment, they are hosted in Cusco, as guests of the Inca, as he reflects upon the meaning of all of this. Whatever is decided, one thing is certain - the war is not over, and it will never be over until the cursed Spanish are expelled from our lands, and from all places under the Sun. Their presence is intolerable and forever a danger.

I don't know how coherent that text was, but you get the point. Manco Inca wins his rebellion and kicks out the Conquistadores, ending up with a restored Inca Empire that adapts rather well to the new inventions of warfare (apparently, the Neo-Inca State did very well in this regard, so I imagine what they could do with the full might of the Incas behind them)

I hope this is a large enough scale to fit the rules of the contest. It is certainly a major conflict in Incan perspective - it'd be an equivalent to an apocalyptical conflict, literally, for us. And the Inca Empire is in a decently good position to become a great power in South America here.

Overall, this map was really fun to do, because I got to experiment a lot with the textures, I got to put up roads, mountains and cities, and the frame just looks great. I sure do hope everyone likes it!

Probably I'd keep one-third of the Senate being up for re-election in each cycle, like OTL. Six year terms.
And that's why I asked this question. Unfortunately, you've now run into the same problem I had when trying to design a reformed Senate. If you're going to have a legislature in which the number of legislators per state changes at any time based on census results, you can't have classes or terms in the same way we do now. They wouldn't work because you'd have to kick out sitting Senators or have them serve partial terms every time the number of seats changes.

Personally I think there is some virtue in giving small states over representation ocnsidering they do (or ideally should) have distinct cultures and interests, but the current system we have is way too heavily balanaced in their favor, especially considering how unrepresentative the House of Representatives ends up being of the public at large.
May I recommend you stop before this becomes a current politics discussion?

And that's why I asked this question. Unfortunately, you've now run into the same problem I had when trying to design a reformed Senate. If you're going to have a legislature in which the number of legislators per state changes at any time based on census results, you can't have classes or terms in the same way we do now. They wouldn't work because you'd have to kick out sitting Senators or have them serve partial terms every time the number of seats changes.
For new states, I think they just added seats above 435 then rebalanced back at the next census. So the rule could be that if a state loses a senate seat in a census, the sitting Senator finishes their term but the seat doesn’t exist after that. Be random but a working rule at least.

Tchad Newspaper.png

Good evening brothers, I ask only for a moment of your time

The modern life is full of convenience, and luxury. We Americans have enjoyed this luxury for a time, but we must not get complacent! We must not forget the Winter, and the hardships it wrought, simply due to our kind position. For you know, democracy, world democracy, Humanist democracy, is just now under attack! As the Phat Phillies sit on their haunches in congress hall, free peoples are being enslaved, and the forces of democracy are being pushed back. In the Sahara, a whole people have lost their lifeblood, their Koorilty, and have been forced into chains! Imagine, a people whose lives have been structured around that practice, that they call the Tajmae, all removed in an instant, gunned down by Trevidians, and their Tchadian dogs! It is a breaking thing, to think of all our ‘most decisive’ government has done about this.

Some say the Prez is blind to this. They say he believes Spring will last forever and wishes to abandon our democratic naise! But I think it goes deeper than this. The Prez does not act due to blindness, or fatigue, or any mantle of perfection! No, it is simple, the Prez is a puppet, kytling to the ever will of el Director! He, and his Libby hombres, have been under the grip of the Latinies from the start. Those same Latinies, the backstabbers, cheaters, and champions of the Unfree! Those same Latinies who abandoned us when we were needy, who snarled at our Humanist Akha and left us lovers of democracy to fight alone. Our Prez seeks to evade the plight of the Tooboo, and the plight of all the others who are forced under the boot of the Trevidans, and for what? Simply to lick the boot of ‘Pan-Americanism’, and to follow the hollow promises of a maleverrent dictator!

El Director has shown now his full self. Trevidians, here and abroad, have too shown their true selves. They have shown that they care not for the rights of their fellow man, and with that that their promises of Humanism have been all of them lies. They have shown that they will stop at nothing to expand the reach of undemocracy, be it in Borneo, Ceylon, or the Sahel! They have shown that they have given up the pretense of kind cooperation with the first power and by proxy the others. They have shown that they will turn their backs on the voting booth and the Koorilty, and continue their barbarous undemocratic practices. But most importantly of all, in the remote blazing deserts of the Sahara, they have shown that they will rob a people of their varied soul. And that, my brothers, that robbing of a soul, is a foul thing, no, it is downright Usovoxy!

What should we do then! We must act now, to vote out the Libbies in congress and take America back! We must oppose the creation of new states in subversive Latiny areas! We must endeavor to join with our Oriental siblings, against Latiny barbarism! Spring may be ending, but we must make sure that there will never be another winter, so long as any of us live.

Governor George Walter (A – Sioux), speaking from his residence in Yankton

This was going to be my submission for MotF, until I realized that it didn't fit the requirements. Its the first graphic I'm posting here from a new timeline I'm making, called A Horizon Forestalled: 50 Years of Spring (Note the language in the text is not final, as I don't think its divergent or thought through enough) (Also note that I do not personally endorse the view of the authors of the article of the governer of Sioux)

For new states, I think they just added seats above 435 then rebalanced back at the next census. So the rule could be that if a state loses a senate seat in a census, the sitting Senator finishes their term but the seat doesn’t exist after that. Be random but a working rule at least.
Or you make Senate terms 5 years long. Or you make senate terms stay at 6, but have the census be every 12years, without staggered seats.

Crossposting from the MotF thread as usual. Do tell me what you think of the map and scenario and everything

ulhWLPj.jpg

The end of days has already come to pass for the Empire. The arrival of the Spanish was a herald to the destruction that would be coming, one that took the form of pestilence and fratricidal war, that brought entire cities to ruin and killed countless people, notables and peasants alike. Which meant that, when the Spanish returned, brandishing their weapons and seeking to conquer all, there was little in the way to stop them. For when the war between the brothers was over, in that very same day, the Spanish returned, and the Inca Atahualpa immediately suspected those strange men were runa quicachac, 'destroyers of peoples'. They were thieves, demons, coming to steal the wealth of the Inca and enslave the people to their perfidious will. Immediately a plan was made to destroy the invader and rid the land of their evil. A trap was set to lure in the demons, but their cunning tricks swept it over the Inca's feet, capturing him and taking him hostage, to ensure the Empire complied to their demands.

Then, they forced the Inca to grant them treasures of gold, which they melted greedily into bars, lying at every time that they would set him and his people free as long as he complied. They ransacked the temples and the cities in their lust for gold, and dared to try the Inca in their daemonic court and sentence him to death, and then forced him to renounce the gods to avoid dying in a pyre. The torturous Spanish murdered him by suffocation instead, for crimes against their sacrilegious morality. After having murdered the Inca, the Spanish declared his brother Túpac Huallpa as their champion, but he wouldn't survive long. Then, the Spanish placed Manco Inca on the throne, as he had been a friend of theirs until then.

Manco Inca had seen the destruction those demons had brought into his country, and was smart enough to pretend to be their ally until the time was ripe to destroy them. He came to know the Spanish and the disputes between their leaders, learning how to do as they had done, and instill discord among them to make them weaker. Then, taking advantage of their untold greed, said he would bring them a golden statue for them to melt, only to escape from their captivity and come join the armies of his people, already amassing to destroy the invader.

With the Inca now safe and free to lead them, the armies of the North advanced over Cusco, where the arch-demon, Pizarro, hosted his court, and over Lima, the port they were using to ship gold to whatever hellish nightmare land their 'Spain' was supposed to be. With the Spanish forces focused on those two cities, their fall would begin the downfall of the entire demoniac venture. And so it was. Manco Inca broke the Spanish, first in Cusco and then in Lima, and entered the city of his ancestors, proclaiming the Empire restored and calling on the peoples, not just under his domain, but all others under the Sun, the barbarians to the south and the tribes to the east and north, to unite and fight against these demonic entities that had come to destroy the world.

The war was brutal like no other had been seen before under the sun. The Spanish demons kept coming from across the sea, from the lands of Panama and Spain, wave after wave. Their terrifying weapons seemed unending, and mightier than anything our people could muster. But Manco Inca was a very smart man, and he understood that, to fight the demons, we would have to learn how to use their weapons. Captured Spanish soldiers were forced to teach us how to wield and create such weapons and our soldiers were quick to adapt, and our smiths quick to learn. Arquebuses, artillery and crossbows were used back against the Spanish, and they were forged within the walls of our cities as well. Horses were left alive and learned how to ride. The Inca himself led battles on such a mount. Soon enough, our soldiers were as strong in combat as their own, and we were ever more capable of pushing back those demons.

Eventually, peace was agreed upon, and trade opened between our ports. The Inca, sensing the need to restore the forces of his people, accepted to allow the Spanish to remain in Guayaquil and in Chile, knowing well that, sooner rather than later, we would come to reclaim those lost lands and throw the Spanish back into the sea. For the time being, however, we trade with them, getting some of their inventions in exchange for the silver and gold they seem so attached to. They leave Tumpis to go onto Guayaquil, and from there to Panama and Spain.

The war might have ended, but we remember the end of days. We are still not as many as we were before the pestilence, and it remains quite deadly, killing many of our people each year. We are still rebuilding our cities and refurnishing our temples from the wars and sacks and depredations suffered upon it by the Spanish. The world ended, night fell upon our mountains but, as always, Inti rose once more, to embrace us with power to fight back. And fight back we will. We know quite well that there is not a ounce of good in Spanish hearts and that we either slay them or they will slay us, when given the chance.

And it seems we might have found an ally in our struggle - ships have come, similar to the Spanish ones, but with a different flag, of even whiter men, who say they are from the land of 'England', and avowed enemies of the Spanish. They say they come not to conquer, but to help us rid ourselves of the Spanish, and promise us weapons and secrets in exchange for the precious metals we dig from the bowels of the Earth. They tell us stories of the lands to the east, what they call 'Europe', and even of a land across the ocean, to where the Spanish send our silver to be exchanged for gifts, a land called 'Qin'. At the moment, they are hosted in Cusco, as guests of the Inca, as he reflects upon the meaning of all of this. Whatever is decided, one thing is certain - the war is not over, and it will never be over until the cursed Spanish are expelled from our lands, and from all places under the Sun. Their presence is intolerable and forever a danger.

I don't know how coherent that text was, but you get the point. Manco Inca wins his rebellion and kicks out the Conquistadores, ending up with a restored Inca Empire that adapts rather well to the new inventions of warfare (apparently, the Neo-Inca State did very well in this regard, so I imagine what they could do with the full might of the Incas behind them)

I hope this is a large enough scale to fit the rules of the contest. It is certainly a major conflict in Incan perspective - it'd be an equivalent to an apocalyptical conflict, literally, for us. And the Inca Empire is in a decently good position to become a great power in South America here.

Overall, this map was really fun to do, because I got to experiment a lot with the textures, I got to put up roads, mountains and cities, and the frame just looks great. I sure do hope everyone likes it!
Beautiful

Cross-posting my entry for MotF 231:

def370v-d8ab41a7-1ee6-4f21-b761-6cd74266c32e.png

In the tower room, surrounded by murals and silk, Alexander rests his head in his hands. His thick, silver hair--he has not gone bald, at least--falls over his eyes, blocking Alexandria from sight. It is not much more than a blur, anyway, these days. The Alexandrine Code, in twenty-seven thick upright scrolls, stands to his left. Bits of the planned Life and Deeds of Alexander III, King of Macedon lie on the scribe’s table, and others in a heap of papyrus and wax tablets to his right. His Commentaries on Achilles, Craft of Ares & Athena, Alexander’s Geography, and Lyrics of Alexander are stowed in great chests beneath, alongside the annotated Iliad he once carried across the Indus. Old age has made him literary. How long has it been since the real fires blazed in his heart? Encased in a sarcophagus of government ever since Sinope, he had almost forgotten glory, laid aside the need for vengeance. Only now, when the chance is past, do the embers flare up again. There will never be that last readjudication--it had seemed vaguely fated, however distant--of the Hydaspes. King Porus, called “Great,” is dead.

He is thinking of Odysseus with the oar now. The sword of battle, carried so deep among the palace’s curtains that it has been mistaken for a scepter. But he will not return to his home country, where the eastern sun beats down, the smells of dust and sweat rise all round, the dying scream, and the tips of sarissas flash. Here let him make an offering to his old persecutor. Alexander smiles. Yes, there’s a poem in that….

The POD is at the Battle of the Hydaspes in 326 BC. IOTL Alexander the Great defeated a renowned soldier-king named Porus, but his men quailed at the might of the Nanda Empire beyond, thus setting the limit on his conquests. ITTL, Porus is the victor. Seeing how easily his retreating enemy won an empire, Porus recruits local rulers and ambitious military men to replicate the feat. He pursues Alexander's exhausted troops, conquering all the way to the shores of the Mediterranean, and picking up the valuable Cassander son of Antipater, a Macedonian commander hostile to Alexander, along the way. In the end, after suffering a defeat at Tarsus and achieving a final victory in Assyria, Porus agrees to a rather awkward Euphrates border in the West.

In the East, the estranged Nanda prince Pabbata commands Porus’ troops on the Indus, conquering cities from his father Dhana Nanda and the smaller kingdoms on the imperial frontier. His lieutenant and sometime rival is one Chandragupta Maurya (Hellenized “Andrakotta”). Pabbata turns west to aid Porus, but Chandragupta goes east. As IOTL, the details of his campaign against the Nanda Empire are unknown, early Indian historiography being sparse and inexact, but in a few years he has expanded the territories subservient to Porus all the way to the Bay of Bengal. After the final treaty with Alexander, the empire is divided into semi-autonomous three “portions.” Porus directly rules the central and largest one, while Cassander takes the West and Chandragupta the East.

The empire will fight a series of wars in central India with modest success. The records of these campaigns brought back by Greek mercenaries serving in the imperial forces will become key texts for historians of ancient India, and are responsible for the highly Hellenized names of Indian cities on the map (e.g. Podanapura-->Potamopolis). Another war with Alexander brings Pontus and some nearby states under Porus’ protection, extending his power to the Black Sea.

This will prove the height of the empire: as its leading figures die off, it will become increasingly difficult to hold such a large territory together. The West will split off in a few decades, taking a chunk of the center with it, but Porid kings will continue to rule in India and central Asia for a couple of centuries longer. Buddhism will find its way to the Mediterranean and the Jaxartes. Of the many Indian settlements in the western regions, those in our Oman and Kyrgyzstan/Tajikistan will prove especially permanent. As for Alexander, he will live to put his Macedonian Empire on good footing, establishing laws, fathering sons, and keeping the rising powers to his west in check--but disappointment will haunt him to the end of his illustrious days.

This map was a bit of an ordeal, really, and I rushed it at the end, but I’m 90% pleased with how it came out. I’ve had the idea of an Indian Alexander in the back of my head for years, and it was good to finally do something with it. I wish I’d had time to include more details: names and rulers of satrapies, sites of Greek and Indian colonies, the dispersal of Buddhism and Jainism, etc.

(Also, I wish I’d come up with a good alternative to BCE dating, which feels a little off in a map with a pre-Christian POD--though no more so than using English, I suppose.)

Status
Not open for further replies.