Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing flashy, but a teaser of that timeline that I've been working on for over a month now.
hudsonland eup.png

It's essentially a template for elections and stuff.

I've decided to start doing OTL maps, starting with a classic, Austria-Hungary in 1914. Sadly, this map does not include the autonomous cities within the Austria divisions, but they will be added in the future. Additionally, this site is iffy on map size, so the full size map can be found here.

You can vote for what map will be done next here.

View attachment 435593

This is a little fantasy world (I think I'll call it Dareth) for a possible tabletop campaign of mine, and I was wondering if you all could take a look at these climates and see if everything is in order. I wanted it to be semi-Earthlike to ease the players into the world easier, so... what do y'all think? Is there anything glaring I'm missing out on? (This map only shows what is known/discovered by the "Old World," the continents where humans live.) I have a political map, too, but it's just a bunch of colors and squiggles without a writeup, and I haven't got a full writeup together yet.

Feedback would be much appreciated!

The equatorial areas attract massive amounts of rainfall in an earth-like atmospheric system. Practically the whole equator on earth is high-rainfall. Mediterranean climates, typically, are found just outside of the horse latitudes (30-35 degrees N or S) and tend to be on west coasts. The way you have it now, you have some tropical rainforests in the southern hemisphere at the same latitude as Canada would be on the North, and you have "humid subtropical" climates (think Florida) not far from Antarctica.

EDIT: Here's my guess as to how biomes would play out. Note that fantasy worlds don't necessarily have to follow earth logic.

darethbiomes.png

Last edited:
The equatorial areas attract massive amounts of rainfall in an earth-like atmospheric system. Practically the whole equator on earth is high-rainfall. Mediterranean climates, typically, are found just outside of the horse latitudes (30-35 degrees N or S) and tend to be on west coasts. The way you have it now, you have some tropical rainforests in the southern hemisphere at the same latitude as Canada would be on the North, and you have "humid subtropical" climates (think Florida) not far from Antarctica.

EDIT: Here's my guess as to how biomes would play out. Note that fantasy worlds don't necessarily have to follow earth logic.

There are always climatic anomalies, though. Biome isn't only influenced by latitude/longitude; oceanic currents and wind levels play a role. So I have to wonder, on the map in question, what effect is that central sea going to have on the surrounding biome? Mountains/rainshadow also have an effect.

View attachment 435593

This is a little fantasy world (I think I'll call it Dareth) for a possible tabletop campaign of mine, and I was wondering if you all could take a look at these climates and see if everything is in order. I wanted it to be semi-Earthlike to ease the players into the world easier, so... what do y'all think? Is there anything glaring I'm missing out on? (This map only shows what is known/discovered by the "Old World," the continents where humans live.) I have a political map, too, but it's just a bunch of colors and squiggles without a writeup, and I haven't got a full writeup together yet.

Feedback would be much appreciated!
As Tsochar mentioned, the map as drawn puts some warm climates very far south. This looks like a misconception derived from Earth's asymmetrical distribution of land: northern Adrica is halfway between the northernmost and southernmost parts of the Old World, but that doesn't mean that the equatorial regions of a planet should have a north African climate--that's a region quite a bit farther north of the Equator!

As Tsochar mentioned, the map as drawn puts some warm climates very far south. This looks like a misconception derived from Earth's asymmetrical distribution of land: northern Adrica is halfway between the northernmost and southernmost parts of the Old World, but that doesn't mean that the equatorial regions of a planet should have a north African climate--that's a region quite a bit farther north of the Equator!
Hmmmm... could a slightly different planetary tilt somewhat explain a shifted “equator”?

Status
Not open for further replies.