Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Napoleon died because of cancer or some other illness, I think, so he wouldn´t live much longer even if he stay on throne. I really do not think he would stay alive so longer...
Iberian union is ok, I would say (or at least I think that after french invasion Portugal was to be united with Spain under Joseph...) Dissolution of Prussia is ok too, unification of Italy as well, even if I am little bit skeptical that Nappy would give up Rome, the same goes for north Tirol (on the other hand I heard that some rebels there want to secede from Bavaria and return under Habsburg rule OR to unite with kingdom of Italy). Aaand really like independent (ehem) Holland, french Netherland AND northern Germany seems like really bad idea to me and it looks so un-estetical :D
But duchy of Silesia do not make sense to me - either give it to Habsburgs or to Poland or to "Germany". Which leads to another problem: united Germany. Some sort of (con)federation, union, alliance, whatever, that make sense, but united state (kingdom)? That would became serious rival to french hegemony over Europe, not to mention several monarchs which were Nappys loyal (um, sometime :D) allies, some of them even relatives (Jerome of Westphalia, N. youngest brother, N. step-son Eugene, some members of B. family have German princess as wifes...) and probably non of them would be keen to lose his sovereignty (even if more theoretical than factual)
Romania looks weird (but it isn t bad idea, in my opinion), the same can be said about Ukraine - I am not sure how that could even work, ouldn´t be more realistic Crimean khanate, as turkish vassal? With some western parts given to Poland...
No one really knows what killed Napoleon, but I was going to have him have Ill health throughout the 30s.

Yeah Germany may need to be changed. Silesia primarily purpose was as a buffer state, but isn't necessary I suppose. I didn't want to strengthen Austria. The best bet is to give it to Poland if it isn't independent.

Ukraine is weird. It is a Ottoman vassal essentially. Napoleon's goal in this timeline was to strip Russia of it's important Western provinces essentially neutering them and then forcing them into the continental system. The first part of this worked. Russia is weak and no longer a threat. But the second part failed as Russia has continually tried to regain land, power and prestige and never fully submitted to French hegemony. Also maintaining an army larger than what the restrictions impossed on them were. Ukraine was stripped from Russia in the peace of 1817 and was occupied before that. Northern parts of Ukraine and Georgia were recaptured by Russia in a later war, but they were defeated campaigning in Poland. Russia managed to hold onto the lands they captured in the peace deal in exchange for other concessions.

Prussia was destroyed as an entity in 1817. When the last coalition was defeated. Pomerania was given to Sweden, Holstein to Denmark, and most of the rest to the newly formed Polish Commonwealth.

And yet another Basque Cantabria.
It was just a first draft of the idea. I was trying to split it so that no one region would be a threat to Napoleon on its own. I will admit I'm not fully happy with how it looks.

I may just leave the Iberian Union how I had it before. Not sure.

Lusitania

Donor
View attachment 411994

What about something like this?
Napoleon rules in absentia. At his death a succession crisis will occur.

Portugal-Galicia, don't really know who would rule it. Kind of a place holder for now
Republic of Lusitania, highly loyal to Napoleon. French navy maintains a large presence here.
Kingdom of Leon, ruled by Louis Bonaparte. Relatively weak region.
Republic of Spain, highly disloyal only nominally supports the Union, often does not pay required taxes to Madrid. Only region to maintain relations with Great Britain to the chagrin of Napoleon.
Madrid, directly under French occupation. However in last decade most control has been handed over to Spanish officials.
Gibralter, captured by French not part of union
State of Granada, occupied by French, as a buffer state.
Kingdom of Catalonia. Relatively good terms with French rule. However many want the Barcelona region to be returned to their control.
Basque Republic, weakest region in the union but economically stable.

Part of Iberian Union with Napoleon as Emperor
Republic of Galicia
Republic of Lusitania
Kingdom of Leon
Republic of Asturias
Kingdom of Castile
Republic of Andalucía * Controls Canaries Islands
Republic of Murcia
Kingdom of Catalonia* claims Balearic Islands
Basque Republic
Kingdom of Aragon
Kingdom of Algarve

Note most of these countries would have local Duke or other local leader siding with French side and taking over their respective country.

Following territories are either neutral or under protection of Britain
Azores and Madeira islands part of Kingdom of Portugal and Brazil
Kingdom of Two Sicily's
Balearic islands (British protectorate)
Malta (British protectorate)
Egypt (British protectorate)

By 1814 when war ends the BN still is king of the seas. Peace treaty leaves it controlling the seas.

Takes French and allies till 1830 to build up a navy strong enough to challenge the British and allies but the quality of seamanship not same

Note: With Batavia Republic under French control, the VOC territory comes under British control. With all Dutch colonies falling under British or Allied control.

Here is a slightly updated map.
upload_2018-10-2_16-49-12.png

1.) I really like the guy above me ideas so expect Spain to change a lot. Though I think this version is much improved over the last one already
2.) I am in the middle of partitioning Germany up. The big brown blob wont stay but im not exactly sure what I should do with it.
3.) Other than that I don't really like the borders of Ukraine.

I may switch over to WBAM because the base map I am working with is only Europe and I may want to expand elsewhere.

Colonial french presence right now:
Purchases Tunis and Algeria as Ottomans struggle to pay back loans from war with Russians
Gold coast ports
Some presence in the Indies though Britain has taken much of the Batavian holdings.
Madagascar
Portuguese African holdings (nominally part of iberian union)

As for other colonial powers:

United States takes Spanish Caribbean islands
Perhaps US presence in Africa.

GB primary power

Sweden: Has several African and Asian ports
Holland: Holds onto Caribbean holdings
Italy: Nothing yet but perhaps in future
Ottoman Empire: Slightly more presence in East Africa than otl.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-2_16-49-8.png
    upload_2018-10-2_16-49-8.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 304
It was just a first draft of the idea. I was trying to split it so that no one region would be a threat to Napoleon on its own. I will admit I'm not fully happy with how it looks.

I may just leave the Iberian Union how I had it before. Not sure.
Yeah, no worries, we'd just seen that discussion the last 2-3 pages someplace.

same universe

France is on shakier terms with the Pope as the Reformation arrives, and pisses off Francis I enough that his family, and thus the state of France, are much more amenable to Protestants. Instead of a half-century long religious insurrection, France lurches into a more Anglican Gallicanism early, and the Protestants are a minor nuisance, but not as existentially threatening as the Catholics on every border. France's alliance with the Ottomans grows stronger than OTL. Official embassies open and stay open through thick and thin. Given England's slower growth and beat-down by Spain, mercantillist practices are less prominent in European society. As Mufawadahs start forming in the Ottoman Empire, they start making trade missions into Lyon, Toulon, and Paris, forming small communities. France in turn begins establishing bases in the Levant and Egypt. Shadows of mercantilism arise, and France begins limiting the power and influence of the Mufawadahs, while also trying to form a more exclusive relation with the Ottomans. The French Turkish Company is formed, partnering with the Alexandria mufawadah to cartelize trade between France and the Ottomans to their favor. When the Siege of Basra grows distrust between the Mufawadahs and Sultan, The Sultan undercuts the Alexandrians and offers what we might call an economic union, with near non-existent tariffs, coordination of economic policy, and the Lyonese FTC and Ottoman sponsored Royal Mufawadah of Constantinople oligopolize European-Ottoman trade. The Treaty of Toulon would solidify this trade regime, and the FTC/RMC would essentially strangle and absorb into their sphere of influence smaller states such as Venice, Genoa, and Ragusa. In spite of Spanish attempts at halting this trade, The Franco-Ottoman navies would defeat a Porto-Spanish fleet off the Corsican coast in 1687.

Development in both countries became spotty and uneven. The South of France is even more independent, dominant even, of the rest of France, though it's tempered by Atlantic ports access to New France, and Parisian demographic clout. Industrial techniques from Bengal are arriving in the Ottoman Empire around this time, increasing productivity of textile makers particularly in Egypt, which has begun wagging the Ottoman dog. Large parts of France struggle to urbanize as food product is siphoned off to a growing Ottoman Empire. Development in France is concentrated on the Southern coast as the FTC sucks Italy and North Africa dry of wealth. Marseilles is fucking massive and vibrant, as are Alexandria and Beirut.

France, in addition to having maybe the third or fourth largest economy on the planet, behind China, Bengal, and maybe the Ottomans, dominates European continental commerce, rerouting Ottoman goods through Lyon and Paris before going to London, Cologne, and Warsaw. Raw goods from the Americas flow to France, where they are processed and sold to the captive Mediterranean market. In turn, that wealth is used to buy Ottoman goods to sell to the European market. Mercantilism stays relatively fringe as most involved are seeing increased wealth.

However, backlash is brewing: The RMC and FTC are both looking to expand their profits, perhaps at the expense of the other; The political rift between the metropolitan South and Paris is growing; as is the rift between Anatolia and the Southeast corner of the Mediterranean; Some north/central French provinces are seeing refeudalization to capitalize on the demand for food; silver from the Americas and Asia is starting to cause inflation; Outside powers from Persia, Austria, Spain, to even Bengal and Morocco are looking jealously at the Franco-Turkish bloc. The Bengali discovery of gold and the inflation it causes will ultimately cause the King in Paris to sever the bond between the Ottomans and French in favor of pure mercantilism. But this would not be the end of the Franco-Ottoman story.

MOTF184(2).png

MOTF184(3).png

Lusitania

Donor
Here is a slightly updated map.
View attachment 412027
1.) I really like the guy above me ideas so expect Spain to change a lot. Though I think this version is much improved over the last one already
2.) I am in the middle of partitioning Germany up. The big brown blob wont stay but im not exactly sure what I should do with it.
3.) Other than that I don't really like the borders of Ukraine.

I may switch over to WBAM because the base map I am working with is only Europe and I may want to expand elsewhere.

Colonial french presence right now:
Purchases Tunis and Algeria as Ottomans struggle to pay back loans from war with Russians
Gold coast ports
Some presence in the Indies though Britain has taken much of the Batavian holdings.
Madagascar
Portuguese African holdings (nominally part of iberian union)

As for other colonial powers:

United States takes Spanish Caribbean islands
Perhaps US presence in Africa.

GB primary power

Sweden: Has several African and Asian ports
Holland: Holds onto Caribbean holdings
Italy: Nothing yet but perhaps in future
Ottoman Empire: Slightly more presence in East Africa than otl.
Ok Italy was I believe two separate countries and I would expect them to stay split. Remember Napoleon not wAnt strong countries around him he wAnt a bunch of smaller countries that cannot challenge France.

Secondly Iberian Union is just that on the Iberian peninsula. All Portuguese possessions belong to kingdom of Portugal and Brazil which had capital in Rio de Janeiro.

As for the Iberian Union it would of also lost all its American colonies with the help of Britain.

Lastly France would wAnt it’s own colonies back and have to negotiate peace treaty to receive them back. Research the colonies in Africa, Carribean and India. Do not know if Britain return Pondicherry.

Remember while France control Europe it is no way possible to challenge British navy till 1830 and that would involve huge expense on France and its allies.

Lusitania

Donor
Catalonia doesn't control Catalonia nor Granada controls Granada.
Autistic Screeching
As a parent of Austistic child I find any derogatory comments like this completely offensive and unacceptable. Maybe you meant that you screem like a monkey. Oh sorry I not wAnt to offend the monkey. Don’t ever do this again.

KapiTod

Banned
A map of the known world in the universe of A Song of Ice and Fire on the eve of the Tourney at Harrenhal held the year of the false spring or 281 AC.

Certainly a unique way of portraying the Free Cities!

Though I think those city states in the Bone Mountains are a bit far East, however it's been ages since I looked at a map of Essos.

A wonderful choice in colour!

Thanks!

Certainly a unique way of portraying the Free Cities!

Though I think those city states in the Bone Mountains are a bit far East, however it's been ages since I looked at a map of Essos.

Thank you!

It may be possible, I drew them by making an overlay of the map of The World of Ice and Fire and using the locations that are in it. The size reduction may have caused a distortion and that difference.

Ok Italy was I believe two separate countries and I would expect them to stay split. Remember Napoleon not wAnt strong countries around him he wAnt a bunch of smaller countries that cannot challenge France.

Secondly Iberian Union is just that on the Iberian peninsula. All Portuguese possessions belong to kingdom of Portugal and Brazil which had capital in Rio de Janeiro.

As for the Iberian Union it would of also lost all its American colonies with the help of Britain.

Lastly France would wAnt it’s own colonies back and have to negotiate peace treaty to receive them back. Research the colonies in Africa, Carribean and India. Do not know if Britain return Pondicherry.

Remember while France control Europe it is no way possible to challenge British navy till 1830 and that would involve huge expense on France and its allies.

1. Italy is ruled by the Bonaparte family and was allowed to be strong as a stopgap against the Austrians.

2. I would imagine the royal family would be getting less popular in Brazil at this point. Any army they brought with them would be too old to fight, so they would be reliant on colonial armies.

3. Iberian union never really had control of the islands, the caribbean holdings were taking by America (no British involvement, British and US relations are very bad in this timeline.) A slightly more focused Britain after the end of the Peninsular war in the war of 1812 left a bitter taste in the Americans mouth (outcome mostly the same, just bloodier on both sides)

4. France regained some of the colonies. After the end of the last coalition Britain was in position to fight. SO while they negotiated from a position of strength, the French knew that there would likely be open rebellion in Britain if the wars continued, as they were almost bankrupt by that point. So France managed to get a better peace deal than they should have.

5. Just a rough estimate but I believe that in 1840 the Continental Alliance navy is roughly equal in size to that of the British. Swedish navy is 2x as strong as our timeline. French 2.5x. Dutch roughly the same. Italy roughly 1.5 times. Ottomans roughly the same size but more modern. Polish navy...exists. Iberian shipbuilding capacity is primarily being used to supply the French navy. Iberian Union has a very small navy and each region has its own standing military force for self defense.

also to avoid cluttering up I will include my update on Germany here? Thoughts

Germany is organized into the Confederation of Independent Germanic States.

Kingdom of Wurtemberg, German Republic (light pink),Kingdom of Saxony, DUchy Silesia, Bavaria, Kingdom of Westphalia, Duchy of Berg, Duchy of the Rhine, Duchy of Wurzburg

The confederation is led by Bavaria

As time goes on Silesia and Saxony are growing distant from Paris and ties are growing with Austria.

upload_2018-10-2_19-25-49.png

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
1. Italy is ruled by the Bonaparte family and was allowed to be strong as a stopgap against the Austrians.

2. I would imagine the royal family would be getting less popular in Brazil at this point. Any army they brought with them would be too old to fight, so they would be reliant on colonial armies.

3. Iberian union never really had control of the islands, the caribbean holdings were taking by America (no British involvement, British and US relations are very bad in this timeline.) A slightly more focused Britain after the end of the Peninsular war in the war of 1812 left a bitter taste in the Americans mouth (outcome mostly the same, just bloodier on both sides)

4. France regained some of the colonies. After the end of the last coalition Britain was in position to fight. SO while they negotiated from a position of strength, the French knew that there would likely be open rebellion in Britain if the wars continued, as they were almost bankrupt by that point. So France managed to get a better peace deal than they should have.

5. Just a rough estimate but I believe that in 1840 the Continental Alliance navy is roughly equal in size to that of the British. Swedish navy is 2x as strong as our timeline. French 2.5x. Dutch roughly the same. Italy roughly 1.5 times. Ottomans roughly the same size but more modern. Polish navy...exists. Iberian shipbuilding capacity is primarily being used to supply the French navy. Iberian Union has a very small navy and each region has its own standing military force for self defense.

also to avoid cluttering up I will include my update on Germany here? Thoughts

Germany is organized into the Confederation of Independent Germanic States.

Kingdom of Wurtemberg, German Republic (light pink),Kingdom of Saxony, DUchy Silesia, Bavaria, Kingdom of Westphalia, Duchy of Berg, Duchy of the Rhine, Duchy of Wurzburg

The confederation is led by Bavaria

As time goes on Silesia and Saxony are growing distant from Paris and ties are growing with Austria.

View attachment 412064
Except that the kingdom of Portugal and Brazil navy was the 4th largest in the world in 1800. IOTL.

Regarding Portuguese king in Rio, they were very popular and people there be very happy with industry flourishing while number of Portuguese fleeing Iberian peninsula increased since end of war.

How I imagine the world of Henry Turtledoves Atlantis looks like
turtledove atlantis.png

Newfoundland and the northern Caribbeans changes in location are due to them being pushed in those directions from the east coast moving east.
The great plains flooded for obvious reasons
other geographical changes I'm not entirely sure about, nor am I good at altering the shapes of landmasses that well.
As for the lack of less water in the rest of the world, I say, because as far as I remember we have no reason to think the geography of the rest of the world was affected by such a large movement of land.

Status
Not open for further replies.