Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Unfair Mexican Treaties
The Unfair Mexican Treaties are the names given to the Treaty of Belize and the Treaty of Ciudad de México; which were involved in the Mexican American Wars. These wars consisting of two conflicts with a short peace between them, due to the almost immediate continuation of war, many historians lump together as a continuous conflict.

The First Mexican America War was over the disputed Texas border with Mexico, which had been adopted when the United States annexed the Republic of Texas. During the Texan Revolution, the Treaty defined the border as the Rio Grande, though exactly which river was the Rio Grande was debated; the Mexican claimed the Rio Grande was a different, smaller river. To Enforce their claims, the United States occupied the disputed territory and when the Mexican army fired on the invaders, the United States declared war on Mexico in April of 1846. While initially hoping for a quick victory, logistics proved to make the war long and after two years, President Meyer made good on his promised to make peace before the end of his term. Mediated by the British, the United States and Mexico met in British Honduras to sign the Treaty of Belize in 1848.

The Treaty of Belize ceded the Alta California and Santa fe de Nuevo Mexico territories north of the 37th parallel to the United States, as well as negotiated a new Texan border [the Nueces river until the 30th parallel, then proceeding west until hitting the Pecos River. From there, the border follows the Pecos river until hitting the 100th Meridian West, it then goes north until hitting the 37th parallel.]. The United States in turn agreed to retract any support of rebel groups within Mexico's borders, pay 25 million dollars to the Mexican government for the territory, and leave any and all Mexican Territory. Mexico also had to make peace with the rebel groups along the new US border [including but not limited to; the Bear Flag Revolts, the North Mexican Revolts and the Republic of the Rio Grande] within 4 months of the Treaty of Belize [By October 14th].

Even after the Treaty, the rebellions in Southern Alta California would prove deadly to the Mexicans as revolts began to pop up in the Northwest states such as Sonora and Chihuahua, taking control of the California and New Mexico Territories. A few months after the signing of Treaty of Belize, the United States had yet to retreat from the Yucatan Peninsula; they had already recognized the Republic of the Yucatan and annexed it a year earlier. Additionally, the United states had continued to support rebels in Mexico, violating the Peace of Belize. The Mexicans saw Yucatan as a rebellious state of Mexico and claimed the Treaty of Belize demanded the US leave the region.

Mexico again sent a representative to the United States to give them an ultimatum to retreat from the Yucatan. The United States refused and the Mexican Empire replied by declaring war, sparking the Second Mexican-American War. Mexico sent diplomats to Jamaica hoping to receive support from the United Kingdom over the violation. However, the British did not support their claim, saying that the Yucatan was a legitimate nation that had already been annexed by the United States as of the signing of the Treaty of Belize.

Starting on November 2, the Second War was longer [about twice as long] and bloodier than the first conflict, with Mexico militarizing almost 30% of their total population. It is believed that the bloodiness of the war is what lead to the harsh terms of the Treaty of Ciudad de México in 1852. The Treaty of Mexico brought an end to the Mexican American war and an even larger end to the idea of a powerful Mexico. The Untied States demanded an unconditional surrender and as such, the terms were harsh;

The Alta and Baja California Territories below the 37th parallel and west of the Colorado river are to be granted Independence as the Republic of California and established as a US protectorate, with its capital in San Diego. The Mexican States of Sonora, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, and Durango are to be given Independence as the Mexican Republic of the North and established as a US client state. The Mexican States of Coahuila, Nuevo Leon, and Tamaulipas are to be granted Independence as the Republic of the Rio Grande and established as a US client state. The remainder of the Santa Fe de Nuevo Mexico Territory is to be ceded to the United States along with all lands east of the Rio Grande River. The Mexican State of Tabasco is to be placed under US administration for 5 years, after which it will be returned to Mexico. The State of Zacatecas is to be placed under North Mexican administration for 10 years, after which it will vote whether or not to join North Mexico. The United States, and it's dependencies are to pay Mexico 30 million for the conquered territory.

Slavery was established in the US States of Texas and New Rhineland, while the States of Santa Fe and Shasta became free states. The Utah and Bexar Territories were formed as Free Territories in exchange for the slave statehood of Yucatan. Slavery was readopted fairly quickly in Rio Grande, with North Mexico continuing abolition; California technically practiced slavery, though much in the way Delaware did, were very few slaves existed across the country. These wars and their unfair treaties changed the face of the North America forever, establishing the United States back to it's powerful position after the Great Lakes War.

This map is part of the Timeline "The Lion, the Eagle, and the Rooster", As always, hoped you enjoyed the map and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

A sneak peak on my next project.

It is the day is June 29th. 1914 Europe is still in shock over the death of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, a royal of the already chaotic Austria-Hungarian Empire, diplomats are trying sort out the situation while generals are preparing for what they see as an inevitable future, with tensions being high, there seems to be only conflict over the horizon. But that was when everything would change...

Reports from all across the European continent, from the Azores to the Urals, from Malta to Svalbard saw bright lights in the sky, coming in shades of blue and green. At first, people thought that these were signals of an attack, where panic reigned in major cities, but after nothing happened, many soon began to see this as either a new natural phenomenon or a sign from God, either one was trying to be explained by their respective groups. But three hours after they first appeared, they soon began to expand, into what seemed to be a forcefield, before anyone could get a chance to react, the field encased the whole of the continent and everything went white...

The year is AH 1333, The Muslim States and the Chinese, Indian, and Haudenosaunee powers are all eyeing each other, waiting for the moment to strike. There had been a bad mood in the air for a while, with recent colonialism in the Americas angering the natives, and the cracking down on Muslims revolts in China. It would be soon lead to a war that would last for over 6 decades, and cost millions upon millions of lives...atleast that what would have happened...

On a cold, Sunday morning, while either everybody was waking up, going on their day, or sleeping, a bright, loud flash rocked the world, scaring everyone out of their wits, and disrupting order for a few hours, until everybody recovered and started to asses what had happened. Everything seemed fine at first until everybody started to realize that there was something wrong with Firanji. Everybody lost contact with any radios stationed on the continent, and anybody near the border reported of strange men and alternate towns, which were completely unrecognizable to the world they knew. Slowly but surely, the four civilizations would soon realize that this newcomer was a people they thought was long gone...

East Vs West.png

Hapsburg

Banned
Using the QBAM scale (or a rough approximation of it, fogive me if the pixel-to-mile ratio is not exactly the same), I blew up a previous map for more detail.
This is a tentative geographic map of Ovaicaea, the continent and namesake of my wife's D&D setting. Her setting leans more into the heroic and pulp fantasy of Robert E Howard and Edgar Rice Burroughs, than the Tolkeinesque epic fantasy implied by D&D's default lore. It's a world of civilizational and cultural clash as humans, orcs, elves, dwarves, gnomes, and other fantastical races witness the rise and fall of great empires.

Geographic.png

An experiment: an ISOT that is not country-based, but language based. Courtesy of the ASBs, all the speakers get concentrated on one area that is designed from scratch - Cardiff looks nothing like it's old counterpart, for example. This is after a century.
A fun map, but never use the word Japs again. It may not have a bad connotation in some languages, but it does in English.

A fun map, but never use the word Japs again. It may not have a bad connotation in some languages, but it does in English.
CalBear, "Jap as a horrible ethnic slur" is specific to California, or maybe the US west coast. It originates from the Japanese internment in WW2.

In fact, here in New York if you say "jap" someone will probably assume you mean "Jewish-American princess". (Someone I know witnessed a spectacular miscommunication when some New Yorkers visiting California referred to a person as "jappy", i.e. "like a Jewish-American princess", and there were Asians present who got very pissed off).

There is no way people outside the western US (or indeed outside the US entirely) could know the term is considered really offensive there. I sure didn't until the issue came up on this site, despite living for eleven years in California.

Also, since "Jap" is heavily used in WW2 history in exactly the same contexts as "Yank", "Kraut", etc., it's unsurprising that the issue comes up on a history site. And that people are very surprised that anyone would consider it worse than the other national nicknames.

This issue came up before, and what I said then was that we shouldn't try to enforce Californian standards on an unknowing world by kicking people.

I think that people can understand the difference between saying "the Japs" to mean Japan as a whole, in a historical discussion, and saying it to refer to Americans with Japanese ancestry.

So unless someone says "Jap" as an ethnic slur rather than to refer to Japan, I'm not going to consider it an offense.

This is all very unfortunate because we seem to have had our own spectacular miscommunication here. To multiple people in this thread, there was no conceivable reason "Jap" would be considered offensive, so they were confused and outraged... and yet they got targeted by a moderator who wouldn't listen to their protests because he assumed that no explanation was necessary.

I'm unbanning Dawnofazazel. He'll remain kicked for saying some insulting things in PM. There are proper ways to respond to a mod action you disagree with, and then there are other ways...

I would have to disagree strongly, as the context Japs was used in WWII was to show the Japanese as buck teethe, yellow skinned, slant eyed subhumans. Difficult to find propaganda using the word that doesn't go that route. You can think of the term like Chinaman. It wasn't originally offensive, just being used to shorten names or refer to a person as having an origin rather than an object, but a century of attaching it to highly racist cartoons and publications associated them with people showing an abhorrent level of racism against those groups. And if we go by the WWII mentions that you quoted, there is theissue that Kraut was and is still used as an insult, while Yank had been used as a matter of pride by Americans by over one and a half centuries at that point, and it was often themselves and the British using the term affectionately.

EDIT:This post referring to Merkmuds. His name doesn't show up as he quoted posts.

Last edited:
When it comes to Japs, it is something that applies only to America mostly. It is similar to the term Paki for Pakistans here in England. They will find it very offensive but it might not be the case in America since the Americans didn't rule over Pakistan. Personally, I find that both terms are okay to use. Interested on what the stance is on gringo, cracker, kufar (Muslim term for non-muslims) and gora (term for whites I've heard South-Asians use a lot) are though.

I'm kind of surprised this is controversial at all since a slur being region-specific has not, to my knowledge, given it special status over other slurs on this board before.

A sneak peak on my next project.

It is the day is June 29th. 1914 Europe is still in shock over the death of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, a royal of the already chaotic Austria-Hungarian Empire, diplomats are trying sort out the situation while generals are preparing for what they see as an inevitable future, with tensions being high, there seems to be only conflict over the horizon. But that was when everything would change...

Reports from all across the European continent, from the Azores to the Urals, from Malta to Svalbard saw bright lights in the sky, coming in shades of blue and green. At first, people thought that these were signals of an attack, where panic reigned in major cities, but after nothing happened, many soon began to see this as either a new natural phenomenon or a sign from God, either one was trying to be explained by their respective groups. But three hours after they first appeared, they soon began to expand, into what seemed to be a forcefield, before anyone could get a chance to react, the field encased the whole of the continent and everything went white...

The year is AH 1333, The Muslim States and the Chinese, Indian, and Haudenosaunee powers are all eyeing each other, waiting for the moment to strike. There had been a bad mood in the air for a while, with recent colonialism in the Americas angering the natives, and the cracking down on Muslims revolts in China. It would be soon lead to a war that would last for over 6 decades, and cost millions upon millions of lives...atleast that what would have happened...

On a cold, Sunday morning, while either everybody was waking up, going on their day, or sleeping, a bright, loud flash rocked the world, scaring everyone out of their wits, and disrupting order for a few hours, until everybody recovered and started to asses what had happened. Everything seemed fine at first until everybody started to realize that there was something wrong with Firanji. Everybody lost contact with any radios stationed on the continent, and anybody near the border reported of strange men and alternate towns, which were completely unrecognizable to the world they knew. Slowly but surely, the four civilizations would soon realize that this newcomer was a people they thought was long gone...

View attachment 410538

I have no idea what's going on, but this seems like a great idea not done before too much.

How far behind would the 1914 ISOT states be? (Or is 1313 also somewhat backward from past disasters?)

I'm kind of surprised this is controversial at all since a slur being region-specific has not, to my knowledge, given it special status over other slurs on this board before.
The Japanese foreign ministry and Japanese people around the world tend to react negatively to it. Anyways, I was just mentioning to the person as, for the most part, we avoid using words considered slurs as soon as informed. Embarrassing for me in the past when I realized I was using something that was not, infact, an excepted name for a group. Now then, back to maps.

After two months of work, I finally done it.

I present you: My Take on the Entire World map of Valkyria Chronicles' "Earth"! Some nation names here are shout out to a VC scenario/TL written by @chankljp.

Also before you asking, yes Edinburgh (analogue to UK) and Vinland (analogue to US) are canon. I'm not making that names up, the creator of the games were.
VC new political2.png

Version with Map Footnotes coming soon. Any questions about this and I'll be happy to answer it.

EDIT: Fixed the ice sheet on the North. I just realized recently.
EDIT2: Added Kingdom of Bergvin to the detail section

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.