Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying they'll be able to extract tax all the way up to the peak of Mount bloody Wilhelm, but far enough into the interior to justify colouring in the whole island, in part because their control of those coasts would deny the penetration of Papua itself by foreign polities, effectively making them the sole suzerain of the interior. Asking fash to delineate along the coasts where control would be the most contiguous on a simple map is just being pedantic.
I'm of the opinion that the interior would be too distinct to mark in the same color. But whatever.

Imagine if we only showed US control over the West when the land was actually owned by US citizens and taxed by US authorities.
Not really the same case as here. I do understand the point HATFAN is making, I just don't agree with it. But to do that to the US would be in the age of territorial states-- here, we're discussing cultural complexes.

Capture.PNG

Have a little teaser for something that I'm cooking up. TL;DR semi-black nationalist SA goes into a militaristic rampage through the Congo, complete with dubious UN blessing.

The write-up is taking longer than expected... :noexpression:

Eh, personally I'm of the opinion that Westeros is the southern appendage of a continent that is the entire north pole.
A possibility, but GRRM said that Beyond the Wall was the size of Canada, which would suggest that it isn't connected to a larger continent that spans the northernmost parts of Planetos.

Genuine question: I am the only person who dislikes the seemingly sudden surge in WIPs lately?

This isn't meant to be a personal attack on anyone, especially you @KitFisto1997 (love your maps!), but I just really dislike seeing so much incomplete work. I'd personally prefer it if we had a whole bunch of complete stuff, or at least spread the WIPs out.

Then again, the Map Thread never states you have to post complete work. Just a IMHO really. WIPs seem like like-whoring, or an attempt to muster hype for them, which strikes me as odd. If they were to merely garner feedback then surely you'd ask specifically for that.

Once again, I don't want to be the cause for any heated arguments or major off-topicness, but I thought I'd ask you all what you thought anyway!

Thank you :)

Genuine question: I am the only person who dislikes the seemingly sudden surge in WIPs lately?

This isn't meant to be a personal attack on anyone, especially you @KitFisto1997 (love your maps!), but I just really dislike seeing so much incomplete work. I'd personally prefer it if we had a whole bunch of complete stuff, or at least spread the WIPs out.

Then again, the Map Thread never states you have to post complete work. Just a IMHO really. WIPs seem like like-whoring, or an attempt to muster hype for them, which strikes me as odd. If they were to merely garner feedback then surely you'd ask specifically for that.

Once again, I don't want to be the cause for any heated arguments or major off-topicness, but I thought I'd ask you all what you thought anyway!

Thank you :)

I have a personally annoying habit of never finishing half my WIPs because of one reason or another. I get what you mean though, no offence taken. :)

I'm nearly done with the write-up for said map, so stay tuned! :D

A possibility, but GRRM said that Beyond the Wall was the size of Canada, which would suggest that it isn't connected to a larger continent that spans the northernmost parts of Planetos.

He also claimed Westeros was the size of South America, which doesn't work at all for what is shown, so you can basically just ignore most statements about scale from him.

On a final note, it was shocking just how many basic geography fixes I had to do to bring the base map up to scratch. Seriously, Lake Guri The 10th largest man-made lake in the world by area, 6th largest by volume, isn't even shown on the best base map I could find. Urgh. That was just one of a large raft of fixes I had to make from scratch; everything from adding loads of lakes and ice sheets, to drawing on a rough approximation of Brazil's OTL Native American reservations. That ate up an unreasonable amount of the time it took to make this.

Big thanks from me at least on that front. Lake Guri is probably because it's actually a really really awkward shape and doesn't actually work on the worlda without showing it as a single pixel lake (and we scrapped those because it was just getting to be a horrendous mess). Obviously nobody else had actually bothered to check. You wouldn't happen to have a patch for the Brazilian reservations would you. (Oh and in case you're wondering, main reason they, and indeed the US ones, aren't shown on most maps is a pretty simple case of 'the one person who tried it for America just used modern reservations on maps going back to the 1840s, at which point the sheer scale of the difficulty of actually getting accurate boundaries for historic reservations set in and it was easier to just be consistent and not show them at all).

Although if you don't mind me going on a minor rant, what is with this recent trend of showing the wider parts of rivers as full-on black borders like it's coastline? Especially when it's just a single pixel thick? It honestly starts making the map so fly specked with random bits of black that trying to actually check for accuracy (or which ones might be reservoirs for older maps) becomes damn near impossible. Not to mention it's just ugly IMO. Though I'll acknowledge that is only an opinion.

(Actually while we're on it- the fashion for Blue Argentina? Yeah I get it, it's the flag, yada-yada-yada, but you can't consistently use that justification anyway and I find that the light blues like this one usually show up badly against the sea for oceanic claims)- minor nitpick.

Anyway, minor basemap rants aside, absolutely fantastic work there, both with the patches and the scenario.

So apparently someone has posted a "Japanese Wolfenstein" map on this thread. Well, in that case: here is Wolfenstein - Imperial Germany edition!

Kaiserreich - The New Order - edit 2.png

I imagine this world to be a lighter and softer version of OTL Wolfenstein, due to the Kaiserreich lacking the genocidal lunacy and insane obsession with world domination of the other Reich. Life in Germany proper is good, if somewhat restricted. The puppet states are also doing well, albeit under very heavy monitoring by the Germans (who have had a habit of installing Hohenzollerns as Monarchs). As for the new colonies, life remains the same as it was before the Germans seized control. Though in a sense, the standard of living for the natives has improved and is somewhat better than IOTL, if only due to technology being several decades ahead. The Germans are still racist towards non-whites, but it's at a level that would be considered normal at the time (and not so different from British and French racial attitudes in the 40's). That and the Kaiserreich's treatment of it's colonies may be *slightly* better than those it's former rivals. Overall, should you obey the law, stay out of trouble and remain loyal to the Kaiser, then life for you will be okay. Great even. Except maybe if you are not White... but then again, it's not like the French and British were any better. New boss is just like the old boss.

We're still debating about what an Imperial!Wolfenstein would be like in this thread, and there's still no "canon" setting per se. The map above is merely my interpretation of "Kaiserstein", and as for it's backstory:

It remains a mystery how the Germans got their technology or where they acquired the knowledge to build it. Some say it was the work of the Kaiser’s mad scientists. Others claim that the Reich had uncovered the ruins of a once mighty Germanic civilization that was lost thousands of years ago. A few accounts would claim that it was a Bavarian archaeologist’s accidental discovery of some hidden Mesopotamian library. Even more fantastical theories point towards the legendary city of Atlantis. And then there are those who believe that it was a combination of all four.

Wherever they came from, the German Empire’s war machines utterly decimated the Reich’s enemies during the Great War. Belgium fell first, followed quickly by Serbia. France bravely resisted, and paid a heavy price for it. Not even the mighty Russian bear could’ve hoped to win against the German onslaught, as Imperial Panzers and Sturmtruppen tore through its vast countryside. Eventually, it was Britain’s turn. In the air, fleets of Zeppelins dominated the skies over England, as they bombed and shelled the British Isles into mere ruins. The Royal Navy, the undisputed ruler of the seas, was annihilated by Wilhelm II’s new fleet – as German “Super-Dreadnoughts” and U-Boats made short work of the pride of the British Empire. By the time the Germans landed in Dover and Portsmouth, all hope for even the slightest chance of the British Empire surviving was lost. As the Heer conquered every inch of British soil, the Royal family was forced to flee to Canada, joining thousands of others who refused to live under German rule. With all of Europe under its heel, the Germans turned towards the Colonies of their vanquished foes. Africa, India and the East Indies, one by one Germany built up her place in the Sun. Japan stubbornly refused to bend the knee, a move it would learn to regret. Following the fall of Tokyo in 1918, Kaiser Wilhelm personally ordered the integration of the so-called “Empire of the Rising Sun’s” territories into his vast and newly acquired colonial empire.

But as the Old World fell under the German yoke, President Woodrow Wilson watched on in horror as German Imperialism and Absolutism slowly took ahold of Europe, Africa and Asia. Something had to be done to ensure that democracy and liberty would survive in the New World Order. Divided, the Americas stood no chance against the vast arsenal of weapons at the Kaiser’s disposal. It was in 1920 that Wilson called on all nations of the Western hemisphere to unite and form a bastion against the Germans. Heeding his call, the New World, joined by the “British Empire in-exile”, united behind the United States and formed the "League of Free Nations" in defiance of the German Empire. Wilhelm took the news of the League's foundation with amusement, and casually dismissed it as a doomed venture. As he put it:

"We have earned our Place in the Sun, and Germany has all that it may need. What use are the Americas for us anyway? They're nothing but a bunch of stupid little backwaters! I say we let the Americans sulk in their miserable little hovels! All while Germany shines brightly under the Sun."

The world has since then remained a divided place, with the LOFN and German Sphere maintaining poor relations with each other. War hasn’t broken out yet between the two, but tensions are still high, and the situation remains dangerous. Wilhelm II still reigns, but it is no secret that his time is running short. By all accounts, his son the Kronprinz is a much calmer and rational man than his father. And there are rumours, whispers of him having a reformist attitude. But whether or not they are true, nobody knows.

So, thoughts and feedback?

Last edited:
Beautiful <3

Indeed it is. Took me a couple of days and 4 man-hours in total, but the result is incredibly satisfying. I do admit that it was done mostly through MS Paint, but I had absolutely no problems with edits done in PDN.

You taught me very well Sempai, and for that I am grateful.

I'm also having several weird ideas for AH maps now. One of them being Wolfenstein: Israel Edition. (Just a silly idea, totally not an Anti-Semite! Pls don't ban me CalBear! )

Indeed it is. Took me a couple of days and 4 man-hours in total, but the result is incredibly satisfying. I do admit that it was done mostly through MS Paint, but I had absolutely no problems with edits done in PDN.

You taught me very well Sempai, and for that I am grateful.

I'm also having several weird ideas for AH maps now. One of them being Wolfenstein: Israel Edition. (Just a silly idea, totally not an Anti-Semite! Pls don't ban me CalBear! )

Wolfenstein... Israel Edition? XD

I'd like to see a Palestinian one, just to balance it out. :p

Yaaaaaaay I'm someone's senpai :3

Palestein: The New Intifada?

Yeah... better not say too much lest something bad happens. (All just good fun mods! Move along!)

I'd personally like to do an Alt-Left vs Alt-Right world... But well all know what would happen the moment I have a crack at that...

[joke] Basically the world is split between super progressive and tolerant EU (led by Caliph Merkel, of course) vs a Anglo-identitarian superstate (led by Grand Wizard Dragon Meme Lord Richard Spencer). [/joke]

Meanwhile Israel just sits there with plenty of nukes and just wants everyone to go away. :p

Last edited:
I'd personally like to do an Alt-Left vs Alt-Right world... But well all know what would happen the moment I have a crack at that...

[joke] Basically the world is split between super progressive and tolerant EU (led by Caliph Merkel, of course) vs a Anglo-identitarian superstate (led by Grand Wizard Dragon Meme Lord Richard Spencer). [/joke]

Meanwhile Israel just sits there with plenty of nukes and just wants everyone to go away. :p
Is that what the term Alt-Left means to people?

Jesus... Trumpisms need to stop catching on.

Is that what the term Alt-Left means to people?

Jesus... Trumpisms need to stop catching on.
Well, I suppose if it was actually applied in a way that made sense, it would mean Tankies, Trotskyists and Ancoms. Applied more in the spirit of KitFisto's post and a more generous understanding, it would be "SJWs and Political Correctness Gone Mad!"

Regardless, I look forward to seeing The Eternal Anglo go up against the Germans.

Status
Not open for further replies.