Map Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished my map of Slaver's Bay and Valyria

valyria white.png

Not totally needed but I went ahead and put the house boundaries on the expanded map made by @theman7777

I used the map from the wiki to fix it.

Saved! This is a great map to use if someone want's to make a story about the white walkers. Since GRRM has said that the lands beyond the wall are as big (if not bigger!) as the lands south of it, there is ample space for the white walkers to have complex political and cultural differences (like the lands south of the wall).

Also, @theman7777 did you get inspiration from this map (GoT Expanded "Known World" Map by reddit user hewwitt). I personally love the look of that map, and it's great someone deciding to expand on it
(and make it in the distinctive AH.com/worlda map style :biggrin:. Seriously, worlda style maps are so pleasing to look at.)

Hu0sAPM.jpg

So apparently someone has posted a "Japanese Wolfenstein" map on this thread. Well, in that case: here is Wolfenstein - Imperial Germany edition!

Say, has anyone thought of making a "British Empire Wolfenstein" Style map? :p (Though i know about "Britwank" maps, which are great fun.)

Anyway, just to re-iterate my earlier point about New Guinea--

http://popular-archaeology.com/issu...ity-among-papuan-new-guinean-peoples-revealed

It is absurdly diverse.

Genuine Question, why is Papa New Guinea so diverse?

Last edited:
Genuine Question, why is Papa New Guinea so diverse?
Because the people have been there so long without interruption of native development by outsiders, and because it's an incredibly broken up and difficult to get through landscape, full of mountains, hills and jungles. That's why so many tribes remained isolated for so long.

Because the people have been there so long without interruption of native development by outsiders, and because it's an incredibly broken up and difficult to get through landscape, full of mountains, hills and jungles. That's why so many tribes remained isolated for so long.

Really goes to show just how big of an effect geography has on human development. In some cases it has been the builder of superpowers. (e.g USA having access to a continents worth of resources and a two oceans separating them from the old world)

I recognize those borders... Do you play the mod too?
Hell yea
Also, @theman7777 did you get inspiration from this map (GoT Expanded "Known World" Map by reddit user hewwitt). I personally love the look of that map, and it's great someone deciding to expand on it
I did base it on the expanded world map, but actually in the "World of Ice and Fire" book, the territories further north are shown in a similar fashion.

is this

is this a south america map????

Yes. Yes it is.

Very fine, you've been constructing a delightfully fragmented world with these maps.

Thanks for the compliments. It's always annoyed me how common random annexations/lumping regions together for convenience is. Deliberately creating as many new nations in as plausible a way as possible in any maps I make is my way of counteracting the trend.

One quibble: how many Brazilians immigrated to French Guina/Cayenne when it was under their control? A North Korea-esque country with under 300,000 people is unlikely to be able to afford a rocket program. (Actual North Korea has roughly 90 times the population).

Not too many, though enough to be noticeable.

Regarding the rocket program, notice how I said primitive launches. The regime is basically running off outdated military equipment installed during the period when they were a Brazilian puppet, and haven't invented anything new in the intervening time (it helped that they continued receiving covert aid from the Brazilians well into the 80's). The regime has basically kept 70's era missile launchers running indefinitely for decades to act as a deterrence. I'll admit this is a little unlikely, but this isn't impossible. It also helps that most observers really aren't sure whether the Cayenne regime inherited a few nukes along with the equipment to use them, or if they're just bluffing, and no one wants to be the one to find out the hard way.

You wouldn't happen to have a patch for the Brazilian reservations would you

The reservations on the map match the OTL reservations as well as I could manage, though it's an incomplete map. To save time, I skipped adding anything to Acre, Roraima, Rondonia, Amapa and southern Matto Grosso do Sul, and I'm pretty sure that I screwed up on Maranhao. Aside from that, it should be good.

Being the perfectionist that I am, it would be safe to presume that a full OTL Brazilian reservations patch will be produced at some point in the not too distant future, though I won't be able to tell you when (it all depends on when I have the free time to kill really).

This also applies to me making a clean new basemap; I did all the patches on the fly, so it'd take a while to remove all the ATL stuff. I'll probably get around to doing it at some point, though I can't guarantee when.

what is with this recent trend of showing the wider parts of rivers as full-on black borders like it's coastline?

Personal preference, sorry about that.

The borders are fairly arbitrary for this one. So far the "saved" civilizations are a Mongol Horde in the north west, a Roman Empire in the East, a Ming Chinese settlement on the west coast, a Japanese shogunate in the mid-west, a african/olmec decedent civilization in southern mexico, a Mayan civilization with Egyptian intermingling on the Yucatan, a Carthage state in Central America and a Arabian Caliphate in Columbia/Venezuela. Not quite sure if the Caliphate fits but im keeping it for now. I am also going to add a Mali empire on the coast of brazil if i can find a similar styled map of south america.
1492.jpeg

The borders are fairly arbitrary for this one. So far the "saved" civilizations are a Mongol Horde in the north west, a Roman Empire in the East, a Ming Chinese settlement on the west coast, a Japanese shogunate in the mid-west, a african/olmec decedent civilization in southern mexico, a Mayan civilization with Egyptian intermingling on the Yucatan, a Carthage state in Central America and a Arabian Caliphate in Columbia/Venezuela. Not quite sure if the Caliphate fits but im keeping it for now. I am also going to add a Mali empire on the coast of brazil if i can find a similar styled map of south america.
View attachment 344969

I love this.

Is it a ISOT, or something else?

No New Kingdom of Egypt? Or Persia?

View attachment 344969

Feels very Clash of Eagles. Intriguing!

Saved! This is a great map to use if someone want's to make a story about the white walkers. Since GRRM has said that the lands beyond the wall are as big (if not bigger!) as the lands south of it, there is ample space for the white walkers to have complex political and cultural differences (like the lands south of the wall).

(and make it in the distinctive AH.com/worlda map style :biggrin:. Seriously, worlda style maps are so pleasing to look at.)

View attachment 344945

GoT's map bothers me, somehow. I don't like that Westeros and Essos look a bit too blockish as landmasses to me. ._.

Status
Not open for further replies.