Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
In which case the entirety of New England plus the Maritimes plus South-of-the-St.-Lawrence Quebec plus northeastern NY and far eastern NY are all one big island :D
yes.

Technically, there's a canal from the Illinois river to Lake Michigan, making everything east of the Illinois-Mississippi River and south of Lake-Michigan, Lower Great Lakes, and the Saint Lawrence are an island.

fight me

In which case the entirety of New England plus the Maritimes plus South-of-the-St.-Lawrence Quebec plus northeastern NY and far eastern NY are all one big island :D

And everything east/south of the Mississippi-Illinois-Des Plaines-Chicago Ship Canal-Michigan-Huron-Erie-Ontario-St Lawrence.

Or is it everything north and west? :)

Edit: Jinx.

I wonder who'd win. At a glance, I'd think that Rome who'd have the natural advantage, but the remains of the islands would hold such a supreme technological advantage over the Romans that I just can't imagine them winning over the ISOTites.

While it lasts, anyway. They can't maintain 21st century high tech cut off from the rest of the 21st century world, and I'm not sure if they can feed themselves without modern industrial farming. Do any of these islands have a decent supply of oil, for one thing? The banking system will immediately crater, and who knows how many supply chains for local factories are dependent on imports from elsewhere, and much won't be available from the locals, even in the form of raw materials. (The Romans certainly don't know about rare earths [1] or, say, aluminum). Avoiding a descent into chaos while gearing back to a more manageable tech level will be tricky at best.

[1] Have fun with that trek to the Tarim basin!

If they do manage to avoid an implosion, the Romans should get along with the Sicilian mafias, at least. There's something very Made Men about the Roman leadership.

...and who knows how many supply chains for local factories are dependent on imports from elsewhere...

This is the biggest threat to modern societies. Take out the grid, supply chains collapse in their current scope, but even on a limited, local scale you're going to see mass disruption and not enough ready supply. You're looking at an overnight jump in Sicilian population alone from about 600,000 to 5,000,000. So... good luck with that.

This is the biggest threat to modern societies. Take out the grid, supply chains collapse in their current scope, but even on a limited, local scale you're going to see mass disruption and not enough ready supply. You're looking at an overnight jump in Sicilian population alone from about 600,000 to 5,000,000. So... good luck with that.
Plus Sicily apparently used to be a but producer of grain and such for the Romans. And imagine all the Sicilians docks no longer being useful for certain ships. I do hope Malta gets through all of this fine. And of chores so many Lebanese on Cyprus...

Plus Sicily apparently used to be a but producer of grain and such for the Romans. And imagine all the Sicilians docks no longer being useful for certain ships. I do hope Malta gets through all of this fine. And of chores so many Lebanese on Cyprus...

Yeah, Sicilian grain was hugely important. At least they have Egyptian grain to make up some of that shortfall, but honestly, Sicily today with advanced techniques might be more productive. Short-term anyway, as BMunro pointed out. Without access to modern supplies of replacement parts and machinery, who knows?

A map of Africa subsequent to an ATL's version of the Berlin Conference: very loosely based on a Victoria II playthrough I'm in the middle of.

aHUT2sI.jpg

"Woody Allen Experience (No Kids)" is perfect. As is the fact that the Manhattan zone dwarfs the Brooklyn, Bronx, and Queens zones put together, which kind of sums up how people actually see New York. As is the fact that the Bronx and Queens zones weren't high-priority enough to finish until after the park opened. (And of course, Staten Island didn't even register except as a place to build the park.)

Glad you appreciated the Woody Allen bit - thought it might be a little dark for this forum...

If I were running this theme park, I'd make the Bronx zone the, well, "theme park version" of the Golden Age of Hip-Hop, in contrast to the Harlem Experience (which, going by the image used, looks like more of a high-brow cultural zone based on the Harlem Renaissance). A version sanitized for public consumption, where all the trends in New York hip-hop from the '70s through the '90s are lumped together: DJ Kool Herc's original 1973 block party existing side-by-side with Jay-Z and Puff Daddy, with disco and funk thrown in for good measure. All with a patina of '70s/'80s "Big Rotten Apple"/Abel Ferrara/Taxi Driver edge thrown on in the form of blaring car alarms, sirens, and barking dogs (no fake gunshots, though, that would be a security nightmare if somebody actually shot up the park), for people who miss the old days and think that modern New York has gone soft. Basically, The Get Down's version of the '70s Bronx.

All absolutely fantastic ideas, and I strongly suspect that when the Bronx zone gets up and running properly something along the lines of your suggestion will be implemented. I'm afraid I still haven't got a clue what'd go in the Queens zone: do any actual New Yorkers have a strong opinion on it?

A map of Africa subsequent to an ATL's version of the Berlin Conference: very loosely based on a Victoria II playthrough I'm in the middle of.

aHUT2sI.jpg
I personally recommend switching the Italian and British claim maps around and move the French Claim map to the top of the column, so that the blocs would be in the same column

Something I whipped up last night to see how the borders look. was going to add provinces, but couldn't find any good bases (might eyeball them tonight). Roughly 4-5 hours

Booty Thicc version here or by clicking the map

Lusitania

Donor

aHUT2sI.jpg
The Portuguese always claimed all lands south of Gambia river and actually controlled the coast. They gave up the lands to the French in turn for their support of the Portuguese claim to pink map.

All Mediterranean islands are ISOT back to 117CE.

That's interesting. I think they'd be able to feed themselves with fishing and trade with the downtimers, at least until they ran out of fuel. There are no good sources in the ISOTed areas, but there are sources of petroleum in northern Tunis right next to Sicily. I'd expect an Eonosis between what's left of Greece and Cyprus, and a fairly tight EU composed of the western islands.

If they do manage to avoid an implosion, the Romans should get along with the Sicilian mafias, at least. There's something very Made Men about the Roman leadership.
Rome is probably done for. The cornerstone of their empire - complete domination over Mediterranean trade - has been permanently shattered. The uptimer societies might be at an organizational disadvantage but once photos get out of civilians having been impaled by a pilum or run through by a centurion's sword when Rome sends forces in to restore order, these societies are going to militarize and fast. They're also going to be able to conquer Roman territory with relative ease and build ships that can disrupt trade and besiege key Roman cities, in which case local governors will sense the way the winds are blowing and start striking deals with the uptimers. No ship will make it to the eastern half of the Empire without Greece/Cyprus' say so, no ship will make it to Tunisia without Italy's say so, no ship will make it to Spain with the Baleares' say so and no ship will make it to France without Corsica's say so. The Italian peninsula might hold a developmental and military advantage by which they can strong-arm their direct neighbors for a while but a lot of parts of the empire will be cut off from Rome in a big way.

Status
Not open for further replies.