Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this an alternate ethnolinguistic map? If so, what are the details?
The linguistic map is here, with more details on post 156: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ve-timeline-dunes-of-the-desert.457532/page-8.
The colour scheme is mostly taken from Linguistic Map thread (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/linguistic-map-thread.245969/page-13), with some edits to colours by me, esp. in the Afro-Asiatic group (adding a Kemetic colour, and distinguishing NW, Central and Southern Semitic).
Also added colours for East Germanic, Continentla Celtic, Vasconic and Anatolian (yes looks like Slavic).
DoDling.png

Eparkhos

Banned
Wouldn't the Western US also be more likely to be dominated by powerful Native American states? The US collapsing after the Constitutional Congress would, among other things, allow for the Cherokee and Muscogee empires to consolidate and expand.

EDIT: it's also important to note that all things considered you didnt make a bad map. The concept is sound, some of the choices you made are very interesting, and you seem to know what you're doing. I'm just pointing out stuff like this more to show "but what about THIS cool thing?" Rsther than to nitpick.

Yes. Not all of the countries are ex-states and barring Cumberland and Franklin in OTL Tennessee, all non-Thirteen Colonies territories are Amerindian Confederations.

In this scenario, I doubt Virginia would ever allow Kentucky to split off.
Kentucky applied for statehood in 1787, with Virginia's blessing

Yes but size too large since part of state was controlled by Britain till war of 1812
I just went with modern boundaries rather than trying to decide whether to use the British or American claims.

Sorry but for 1788 that is way far west. They were simply upto the Appalachian mountains. Plus Maine was very low population and part of Massachusetts
I know. Barring the OTL settlements of Kentucky, Cumberland (Central Tennessee) and Franklin (Eastern Tennessee) everything west of the Appalachians is Amerindian.

Lusitania

Donor
Yes. Not all of the countries are ex-states and barring Cumberland and Franklin in OTL Tennessee, all non-Thirteen Colonies territories are Amerindian Confederations.

I just went with modern boundaries rather than trying to decide whether to use the British or American claims.

I know. Barring the OTL settlements of Kentucky, Cumberland (Central Tennessee) and Franklin (Eastern Tennessee) everything west of the Appalachians is Amerindian.
In 1788 the only people are natives and the borders have nothing to do with the native tribes.

Does anyone know where on the net I could find a map of the known distribution of Sango as a lingua franca? I tried googling it, but no success. Also, I'm already aware it's in use both in the Central African Republic and Saraland, in Chad, what I can't find anything about is how much the language has penetrated within the DRC.

Already solved the problem. I didn't find a map, but I realized that for what I needed it for, namely drawing the borders of an ATL Central African Republic, simply having the country own the DRC's provinces closer, either literally or by river travel, to Bangui than Kinshasa would do just fine.

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned

Here's a map showing the ex-American states (blue) and the Amerindian Confederacies (brown):

Three and Thirteen More - 1788 - Amerindian v. Postamerican.png

That was because I got that wrong. Here's a corrected version of that map:

View attachment 477711
Lithuania is ridiculously wanked. I am almost certain the area they gained is majority Polish, or at least a plurality, with Blantyre of Belarusian as well. I don't see th Polish borders going that way to wrap around it. Either they get the more land the Russians originally offered the Poles or they have the Lithuanians take up the burden of guarding themselves, instead of acting as human shields for them.

PSX_20190804_210358.jpg

The world on 4th August 2019, 7 years after the URSS withdrew its troops from East Germany, Hungary, Poland and Czechoslovakia, recognising their indipendence.
●The POD is Joseph Stalin being reduced to a mere vegetable after a massive hearth attack in 1947. In his place, soviet leadership is assumed by the so-called "Soviet Troika", a political alliance between Lazar' Moiseevič Kaganovič , Vjačeslav Michajlovič Molotov and Viktor Abakumov, whose main purposes are the continuation of Stalin's policies and hiding his condition from the general pubblic (even today, it is still illegal in the URSS to doubt that his government ended only with his death in 1951).
●The Cold War between the 50s and the 60s is particoularly more violent than OTL, thanks to the stalinist hardliners in the Kremlin.The Korean War is longer and more violent than OTL thanks to the russian direct intervention in the conflict, resulting in North Korea winning (luckily enough Kim Tu Bong is the leader of North Korea ITTL rather than the Kims).
As a consequence of this, The Red Scare is more widespread and popukar than OTL, resulting in Joseph McCarty becoming president in 1956.
●There is no Sino-Soviet Split ITTL, but ironically Europe and the US are the ones splitting up, with England and France leaving NATO in protest against McCarty's political decisions.
Both countries have managed to preserve parts of their colonial empires, pursuing a policy of detente with the Soviet Union and building their own political blocks in Europe (The North Sea Alliance and The European Commonwealth respectively).
●With a more paranoid US and a more totalitarian URSS, India is in a better posion than OTL, attracting various countries that for a reason or another can't join either tye communist or the capitalist block and investing heavily in them.
●Africa is a mess, but not as bad as OTL with the Empire Of Ethiopia, the kingdom of Lybia and the Republic of Liberia being the most democratic and rich countries on the continent.
The conflict between South Africa, the People's Republic Of Kongo and their allies has recently restarted again with no end in sight.
●Ironically The People's Republic Of Iran is probably the most religious tolerant member of the comunist block, with most of its jewish comunity left untouched.
The Kingdom Of Iraq is one of the most important american allies in The Middle East
●Greece is tecnically a kingdom, but in reality it is the military who controls the government . Backed by both England and the US , the country has now become a safe heaven for numerous criminals around the world.
Its territorial disputies with Turkey are a major source of embarassment for Washington however.
●The Republic of Greater Serbia is basically this TL's version of North Korea: a brutal stalinist dictorship, it still claims Bosnia and Croazia as parts of its territory and its leadership has been accused of genocide numerous times.
●While both Hungary and Czechoslovakia are in the process of joining the European Commonwealth, Paris considers the Republic of Poland too politically unstable.
Thanks to even more political and religious repression from Russia than OTL (including the assasination of the archbishop of Kraców Karol Wojtyla), Poland has embraced a particularly nasty religious and nationalistic tone in its politics, especially regarding its shared border with the URSS.
The polish government has recently allowed the arrival of american troops on its territory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.