Linguistic Map Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
An improvement over all. A couple things to mention though:
a) I'm not sure the Northern Ontario francophone population is shown enough.
b) I can't find anything about high francophone rates in Hamilton. I found something about it being a service centre, but so was Toronto which seems to show it's just for large population centres.

a. I knew I was forgetting some Frenchies somewhere....

b. Alright, couldn't find my original source there either, removed.

c) Algonquian is probably the biggest language group by numbers for Native Canadians, but it's not all. Na-Dene is a fairly significant family (and might be in the same group as Yeniseian languages).

From what I can tell, the Algonquian Languages are spoken in the Southern Portions of the band that is being called Algonquian here, while the Na-Dene Languages are spoken in the Northern Portions of that area. I think they should be split on the map.

Yeah, that was a mistake. Na-Dene has been added now.

langue1.png

Here's my progress in South America.

I feel the need to quote Beedok right now:
I suspect I might be deserving of an honourary degree in linguistics by the time I finish this thing.

Anyway, as always, comments and constructive criticism are much appreciated to make sure this map isn't one big lie.

langue2.png

Very impressive work. (I'm not so great at judging distances in Qbam, otherwise I would be helping out more.)

I did see something on Hamilton about it having Francophone services that a community in Ontario needs to have if over 10% Francophone or has a population of Francophones above 5000 (or similar such numbers). Hamilton exceeds the 5000 minimum rather than the percentage number, much as Toronto does. That might have been the source of confusion.

I did see something on Hamilton about it having Francophone services that a community in Ontario needs to have if over 10% Francophone or has a population of Francophones above 5000 (or similar such numbers). Hamilton exceeds the 5000 minimum rather than the percentage number, much as Toronto does. That might have been the source of confusion.

Yeah, that must've been it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there a language map of Europe in, let's say, 1933? So from before the great expulsion of minorities just before, in and after WW2.

Is there a language map of Europe in, let's say, 1933? So from before the great expulsion of minorities just before, in and after WW2.
I had one of Czechoslovakia in the 20s or 30s. Haven't done the whole of Europe yet though.

EDIT: Here's the post
Well, this fizzled out. :(

I'm going to make more maps though.

Like this!

Last edited:
Hey, just a tip for South America: the rural areas of Corrientes Province in Argentina speak Guarani, though it is difficult to map since most people are bilingual and only speak it at home or in limited context. Also the border areas of both Corrientes and Misiones speak Portuñol: a pigdin Spanish/Portuguese, altough I realize they aren't differentiated in this map. The natives of the western parts of Chaco and Formosa also speak the Guaicuruan language family though they are also bilingual. Unlike Corrientes, where most rural people speak Guarani or at least has loanwords from it regardless of ancestry, there's a sharper differentiation in Chaco and Formosa between natives and criollos (or European inmigrants). While the European descendants speak Spanish almost exclusively, the native Qom people do still speak their own languages asides from Spanish.

Excellent work, though I'm afraid I don't have much more comments.

A little nitpick on the qbam, which looks really good in general

Some Pacific islands (New Caledonia, south-east New Guinea and Vanuatu) have the Romance/Germanic colours (that I guess would be the official languages) when the local languages are widely spoken in these areas.

I was thinking there should be at least stripes of the local languages on these islands, if not removing the foreign ones entirely

What are the two languages circled? I can't find proof for the existence of either. Also, is there any proof for the existence of Circassian in the middle of Turkey?

eurolanguages.png

It doesn't seem very accurate to me, even if it were a map of 1920. Atleast for Ireland, Spain and Turkey.

Ireland looks pretty accurate actually. The thing to remember is that at no point in the last century has 'Irish speaking population' been synonymous with 'Catholic' or 'Nationalist' population- though in Northern Ireland the Nationalists have tended to learn the language and become part of the former. The Irish language was very heavily promoted by nationalists (some of whom were not native speakers) to try and 'restore' Irish culture after independence.

Status
Not open for further replies.