Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
This timeline is definitely just for fun, so take everything with a grain of salt:p.
But you have the beginning of Polish divergent history correct, the populations of the Red Cities and Podlasie were driven to the western portions of Polish/Piast territory. Then the Black Death happens mostly on schedual. Also the late 14th century and early 15th century saw the Saxonies and East German territories (along with much of OTL's northern and eastern France) suffer horrific decimation in Religious Wars.
For comparison here is a WIP map of this timeline in 1325, again remember this is just for funnsies.:D

I like the Celtic Federation under the English Crown and the fact that there is no Germany. So, what's the deal with France?

Here is the world in February, 1920:

The Dutch didn't go for French Flanders? Also, for your early thing of trying to reduce wanking by having the Beitish not invade Indonesia... It would be unrealistic for the Dutch to keep it. In fact, your early maps were kind of a Brit-Screw, since it took Hong Kong and Nigeria from them. I also expect that the Tibetans would not manage to get to their full claims like in this map and that the Americans would not settle for West Virginia, but instead take more of northern Virgina to have a buffer around Washington and Maryland. Also a bit odd that Uruguay became under Argentinan occupation or influence.

Here's a map of "South America" from my first TL (which I recently started work on again!), Vikings in the New World. Hopefully I can get a mapmaker to make an entire world map for me (B_Munro or Rvbomally, hopefully. Maybe I can win Reagent's map contest thingy):

I do not believe you would win if someone else created the map and came up with all the text.

World in 1700 with a double POD. There is a migration of Inca peoples into the pampas in 100 AD, leading to the creation of low empires that fight with the High kings in the mountains, driving development. And a more devastating Mongol conquest that reaches the Po valley and nips the Renaissance in the bud. The Mongol empire then centralises under the Yuan and manages to integrate much of Europe into its system over the next few hundred years. In 1700 the Europeans and Antillians are trading with each other, both have recovered from the devastating plagues that contact brought. Yuan and Nihon are having a colonization arms race and maintain a joint colony on western Antilla. The Christian kings of Europe are beginning to emulate the Yuan's industries, with the Inca and Mexca also starting down the road to industrialisation. The Yuan are by far the greatest power in the world, but by the end of the centuary they will have competition at least.

aurlxWR.png

Shown are trade routes for the 4 maritime Antillian powers. Mayapan, Mexca, Tithica and The low empire.

World in 1700 with a double POD. There is a migration of Inca peoples into the pampas in 100 AD, leading to the creation of low empires that fight with the High kings in the mountains, driving development. And a more devastating Mongol conquest that reaches the Po valley and nips the Renaissance in the bud. The Mongol empire then centralises under the Yuan and manages to integrate much of Europe into its system over the next few hundred years. In 1700 the Europeans and Antillians are trading with each other, both have recovered from the devastating plagues that contact brought. Yuan and Nihon are having a colonization arms race and maintain a joint colony on western Antilla. The Christian kings of Europe are beginning to emulate the Yuan's industries, with the Inca and Mexca also starting down the road to industrialisation. The Yuan are by far the greatest power in the world, but by the end of the centuary they will have competition at least.

Shown are trade routes for the 4 maritime Antillian powers. Mayapan, Mexca, Tithica and The low empire.

Why has the Mongol horde prevented Britain of France from modernising and industrialising? They have the resources, unlike the Native American groups, to produce firearms regardless of the state the rest of Europe is in. It really makes no sense for the Americas to be able to colonise Europe in a scenario like this one.

Its only 1700, and Europe has had most of its intellectual and cultural treasures destroyed by the invaders, which can't have helped with industrialisation.

Its only 1700, and Europe has had most of its intellectual and cultural treasures destroyed by the invaders, which can't have helped with industrialisation.

It being 1700 makes Amerindian modernisation even less likel. Remember that they hadn't even invented the wheel! Unless another power found them there's nothing to suggest they would have done. If, like I assumed from the scenario, Japan discovered them then I'm sure Japan would have conquered at least the west coast.

I like the Celtic Federation under the English Crown and the fact that there is no Germany. So, what's the deal with France?

Actually there is no Celtic Federation, areas surrounded in English pink are those still officially claimed by at least one of the two claimants to the English Throne. Both nephews of the previous king, one married the queen suo jure of Scotland and the other into the English aristocracy. Their respective colors on the map are Scottish blue and Wessex green.
France suffered through it's own war of succession from 1281-1307 and eventually the realm was split in two (unrealistic but fun) with the kingdom of France in the north and west, and the kingdom of not-France (I have a few ideas for a name, I personally am attached to Septimania or Occitania(before someone complains, wikipedia says that the term Occitania has existed since the 13th century)(don't know if that is true though)).
About the no Germany thing, Germany as a geographical and pan-national/ethnic term does exist in this timeline, unfortunately the major proponents of a united Germany were limited to members of the intelligentsia, and in the 1880's and 1930's, to terrorist groups. This killed this ideal for the vast majority of moderates and only now in 2015 are the German states making any serious plans to re-establish pan-ethnic pride and organisations.

It being 1700 makes Amerindian modernisation even less likel. Remember that they hadn't even invented the wheel! Unless another power found them there's nothing to suggest they would have done. If, like I assumed from the scenario, Japan discovered them then I'm sure Japan would have conquered at least the west coast.

The Aztecs had the wheel, they just hadn't made anything big with it. Considering that the Arabs were leading the world at a time when they'd effectively abandoned it I'd say it's less important an invention than we give it credit for.

The Aztecs had the wheel, they just hadn't made anything big with it. Considering that the Arabs were leading the world at a time when they'd effectively abandoned it I'd say it's less important an invention than we give it credit for.

It is if you want a modernised colonial imperialist empire. How are you going to build the ship's needed with an Aztec level of society. They had yet to use the wheel because they had stagnated. The Arab world did so well becUse it took advantage of a weakened enemy. The Aztec's are not geographically proximate enough to take advantage of the weakened state of Europe.

I should have explained, the south American POD leads to a technological and military revolution, as the high empires and low empires fight, which spurs development. One result of this is Inca Aztec contact in 1400 because of some high city states seeking trade routes to the low empires, the resulting technological exchange led to the separate development and rapid spread of guns in 1500 and paper in 1550. Long range seafaring advanced to the point where European voyages were possible in 1650, about the same time Europe reached the Americas and Japan/China landed on the west coast.

Remember that they hadn't even invented the wheel!

Funnily enough, neither did the British or French. The only people to ever invent the wheel didn't conquer anything. In fact the only area of wheel invention that ever went on to conquer anything was the mesoamericans. It's a useless and irrelevant invention with regards to what the scenario is.

OH AND

Why has the Mongol horde prevented Britain of France from modernising and industrialising? They have the resources, unlike the Native American groups, to produce firearms regardless of the state the rest of Europe is in.

False.
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-88282-1_55
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popu...83/September_1913/The_Nitrate_Fields_of_Chile

That's just the Andean states.

Last edited:
I should have explained, the south American POD leads to a technological and military revolution, as the high empires and low empires fight, which spurs development. One result of this is Inca Aztec contact in 1400 because of some high city states seeking trade routes to the low empires, the resulting technological exchange led to the separate development and rapid spread of guns in 1500 and paper in 1550. Long range seafaring advanced to the point where European voyages were possible in 1650, about the same time Europe reached the Americas and Japan/China landed on the west coast.

Ok! That's fine then, you just didn't have that in your initial post so a lot of it didn't make sense. Fair enough then, a tad implausible, but fair enough.

Funnily enough, neither did the British or French. The only people to ever invent the wheel didn't conquer anything. In fact the only area of wheel invention that ever went on to conquer anything was the mesoamericans. It's a useless and irrelevant invention with regards to what the scenario is.

OH AND

False.
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-88282-1_55
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popu...83/September_1913/The_Nitrate_Fields_of_Chile

That's just the Andean states.

One word: steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.