Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
. While the WAllies are unhappy in the sudden change in plans for a joint unconditional surrender, they can do nothing but accept the fait accomplit, as to challenge Stalin would risk the loss of continental Europe to Soviet armies, which the WAllies are not prepared to defend...

Er, atomic weapons?

Bruce

A new take on an old idea of mine that I had proposed a while ago.

The Soviets perform much better in late 1941, preventing much of the huge industrial and population losses of the OTL war. The result; Germany surrenders in late 1944 after the capture of Berlin and liberation of France. After a winter of re-organization, the final campaign of the war takes place at the start of spring 1945. The Japanese surrender to the Soviets rather than the Americans, who accept a conditional surrender. While the WAllies are unhappy in the sudden change in plans for a joint unconditional surrender, they can do nothing but accept the fait accomplit, as to challenge Stalin would risk the loss of continental Europe to Soviet armies, which the WAllies are not prepared to defend...

In light of the Cold War starting with a clear factional betrayal at the end of the war , historians view WW2 as a primarily three-sided conflict (some say 5 if you count East Asia differently).

Immediate and major changes from OTL:
The Soviets are in a much better position in Europe. The Red Army is not on the brink of starvation and over 9 million of its veterans face down half as many American greens. The Chinese Civil War ends much more quickly and decisively in favor of the Maoists, as Japanese forces turn over their positions to the communists instead of the nationalists. Japan avoids strategic bombardment and occupation in addition to retaining territories claimed by the RoC that cannot be administered by the communists. Indonesia, Indochina, and the Philippines have Soviet-friendly governments installed to replace the Japanese puppet governments there.

The Cold War starts rather hot...
Late 1945

I just can't see the US accepting a pro-Soviet Philippines, personally. Same with Indonesia and Malaysia. Both would definitely revert back to their old colonial masters (for now; I mean a Communist Indonesia could be in the cards soon). Indochina is a different beast, so I can easily accept that being pro-Soviet even then. Also I agree with both Lascupa and Samuel that the Soviet occupation zone would be bigger. I could easily see Schleswig-Holstein and Denmark fall under Soviet rule, for example (IOTL the Soviets occupied the Danish island of Bornholm, for example).

Also the fact that you gave East Timor to Indonesia already: that's a massive no-go. It was unoccupied during WW2 (due to Portuguese neutrality) and it took Portugal withdrawing during the 70s to make Indonesia attempt to fetch it. With a 1941 POD you can't change that too drastically. Also in general you could easily balkanize Indonesia with a POD that early (independent Kalimantan, surviving South Moluccas; East and West Indonesia...).

I just can't see the US accepting a pro-Soviet Philippines, personally. Same with Indonesia and Malaysia. Both would definitely revert back to their old colonial masters (for now; I mean a Communist Indonesia could be in the cards soon). Indochina is a different beast, so I can easily accept that being pro-Soviet even then. Also I agree with both Lascupa and Samuel that the Soviet occupation zone would be bigger. I could easily see Schleswig-Holstein and Denmark fall under Soviet rule, for example (IOTL the Soviets occupied the Danish island of Bornholm, for example).

Depend, the soviet having a better performance and saving much more of their industrial might it's not an automatic we get more than OTL, as it also can mean simply: a lot less Land Lease so that the two results basically nullify each others.

In any case more than 6 months of less war mean that Europe in general it's in better shape and frankly no Korea war and no Indochina war are a blessing in disguise for both France and UK.

Occupation zones stayed the same because they were decided before Germany was occupied, as happened in OTL. While soviet performance increased overall, German resistance was much heavier as they militarized their industry much earlier following early disasters. Furthermore, allied lend lease was much smaller.
The allies don't have nukes by time the war is over, and can't threaten Stalin with it.

Edit: as for East Asian communist satellites:

The territory controlled by these countries was determined by Japanese occupation. The Philippines, Malaya and Timor were all still occupied by the Japanese military, and thus were turned over directly to the communists as part of the surrender conditions.

This is a huge betrayal on the part if the soviets, but once again, the allies don't have nukes until almost half a year after the end of hostilities, and their position in liberated Europe was much more rushed in order to keep up with soviet advances. They just aren't in a position to bargain. Also, Roosevelt hasn't died yet so Truman can't "stare them down". Roosevelt was very accommodating of stalins pressures otl.

Last edited:
Continuing from my last map in the Random Continuum series, here is 1366.

1366 Highlights:
  • 'The Grand Crusade' has begun at the peak of the Seljuk Empire's decline. By 1366, the Seljuk's have lost control of Egypt to the resurgent Fatimids based in Tripoli, and were betrayed by their puppet Eastern Roman Empire in Anatolia.
  • "Three Romes(?)" The Eastern Roman Empire is the strongest remnant of the Roman Empire and the strongest claimant. Based in Anatolia, after 200 years of Seljuk/Persian interaction, the Empire has taken a distinctly different culture. Opposing it is what historians now call the Hellenic Roman Empire, still claiming to be the true successor's of the Eastern Roman Empire's government that the Seljuk's dismantled. Their territory is restrained largely to the Greek islands. Rome itself, nestled safely under the Papacy..
  • The Alberberid Dynasty that controls Algeria and Tunisia is, yes, run by Berbers. To the West is the Almaurid's in modern day Morocco.
  • The Resurgence of Ghana and a Golden Age in West Africa has led to interesting developments in the region.
  • The Mongols still control most of Japan, but haven't expanded much on the Continent. That means no Genghis Khan like scenario has happened.

1366.png

Occupation zones stayed the same because they were decided before Germany was occupied, as happened in OTL. While soviet performance increased overall, German resistance was much heavier as they militarized their industry much earlier following early disasters. Furthermore, allied lend lease was much smaller.
The allies don't have nukes by time the war is over, and can't threaten Stalin with it.

Edit: as for East Asian communist satellites:

The territory controlled by these countries was determined by Japanese occupation. The Philippines, Malaya and Timor were all still occupied by the Japanese military, and thus were turned over directly to the communists as part of the surrender conditions.

This is a huge betrayal on the part if the soviets, but once again, the allies don't have nukes until almost half a year after the end of hostilities, and their position in liberated Europe was much more rushed in order to keep up with soviet advances. They just aren't in a position to bargain. Also, Roosevelt hasn't died yet so Truman can't "stare them down". Roosevelt was very accommodating of stalins pressures otl.
Still doesn't make sense why the Soviets were willing to break a promise and expect the other side to respect theirs. Unilaterally accepting Japan's surrender is a huge deal - no one will trust the Soviets after that.

Either side will want to immediately press an advantage here, citing the Soviets' previous move as justification. I can see this Cold War turning hot very soon post-war, especially since there isn't the threat of nukes to restrain them.

Actually, the fact the US is close to developing the first A-bomb should embolden them in acting more aggressively in Europe to contain Soviet influence.

Still doesn't make sense why the Soviets were willing to break a promise and expect the other side to respect theirs. Unilaterally accepting Japan's surrender is a huge deal - no one will trust the Soviets after that.

Either side will want to immediately press an advantage here, citing the Soviets' previous move as justification. I can see this Cold War turning hot very soon post-war, especially since there isn't the threat of nukes to restrain them.

Actually, the fact the US is close to developing the first A-bomb should embolden them in acting more aggressively in Europe to contain Soviet influence.

I think unconditional surrender for Japan had been butterflied away, as that conference couldn't have happened in ATL. In the eyes of the Soviets, they were merely mediating the peace that they felt was deserved considering their position of strength relative to the late-comer WAllies. The west sees this as more of a separate peace and thus a broaching of the the alliance.

Japan hasn't promised anything, they negotiated to retain what they could and are in no position to resist.

Stalin only promised he'd help in the war in Japan.

The west promised to help bring down Germany, which they didn't really do, except mop up the rear. The west didn't get around to liberating any of the territory the Japanese held except some fringes like Burma and New Guinea.

As far as Stalin sees, the WAllies are weak and slow and don't deserve as big a slice of the pie.

There will be huge tensions on asia over the colonies that were not returned, and Europe is even more tense.

While the Americans will soon be having the bomb, the Soviets completely outmatch them on conventional front in Europe; they wouldn't risk it.

Each side will focus on digesting their new gains before the next big conflict.

Here's some random I just came up with, an alternate ancient empire based in OTL Iran; ruled by a large Turkic ethnic group known as the Qamal.

Qamal Empire.png

Intriguing. Would they have many successor states or those claiming their mantle?

When such a state did break up, I would imagine so, probably half a dozen states or more spread across the trans-continental territory of the Empire; with several probably claiming the mantle of the Qamalish Monarchy.

Here's some random I just came up with, an alternate ancient empire based in OTL Iran; ruled by a large Turkic ethnic group known as the Qamal.
Strange that they never managed to conquer rich and fertile Mesopotamia.

Did they run into some sort of strong resistance there? Perhaps in the form of *Romans?

Strange that they never managed to conquer rich and fertile Mesopotamia.

Did they run into some sort of strong resistance there? Perhaps in the form of *Romans?

The *Iranians and *Romans proved to be too strong of an opposing foe for expansion into Mesopotamia to be a long term viable option, so expansion Northwards eventually happened in the pursuit of new fertile lands; eventually leading to a push into Ukraine.

This means that at *Yalta, Truman glares down Stalin by shouting that his words are backed by nuclear weapons.

One is a former haberdasher and liberal career politician with glasses.

The other is a pacifist and spiritual leader of a nation, also with glasses.

Together they fight interdimensional crime.

This is a WIP map I've been working on for the last few days. The POD is around the 1860s, but it isn't really noticeable (In terms of mapping) until the 1890s. This is the map of the world as of April 2015...but it includes a Communist India, Republic of China, German Mitteleuropa, a divided United States, a larger Mexico, the Ottomans and Hapsburgs are still hanging out, and New York is independent.

Mother%20of%20Exiles%202015-4.png

This is just a WIP but I just wanted your input.

It strikes me as a bit unlikely that a communist India would retain the internal political divisions of the British Raj.

It strikes me as a bit unlikely that a communist India would retain the internal political divisions of the British Raj.

Also unlikely is California retaining its OTL borders as a sovereign state. Interesting map though, the independent New York and large Mexico are nice changes of pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.