Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossposted from Motf

3lQoJXV.png

Crossposting from the TL in my signature, partly as shameless advertisement and partly for the good people to cast their judgment upon it. The blue outline indicates tribes that are part of an expanded alliance formed by Arminius after the Battle of Teutoburg. The tribal names are all Proto-Germanic reconstructions. I dicked around with the borders (especially the coastlines) probably more than I should've, resulting in some unfortunate jaggedness.

Omlffre.png

And I'd imagine the French-sounding placenames are because most of those places were ruled by France, so the French transliterations of their names became the standard.

Crossposted from Motf

Very pretty map, though a few issues:

-Why British Trans Arabia. What is it across/across from? (e.g., Transylvania is across the heavily forested region that used to make up most of its western border. Transjordan was the part of the Mandate of Palestine that was across the Jordan river.
-How did Palestine get Egyptian Sinai?
-What happened to the British treaty states along the Gulf Coast (Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, the UAE)?
-Why is Mesopotamia called "Levant" in the second map?
-Why is Sanaa not part of a state called Yemen?
-Why is Abu Dhabi (in the 50s a 4-camel town, even with the recent oil, which will attract Westerners more than Arabs) the capital of Oman instead of the millennia-old bustling trade hub of Muscat? Especially since Abu Dhabi is not Ibadi like 90% of the population in the province you outlined (though I guess that might explain it, if the Arabs are not pleased about the Ibadis...)
-Why would the Arabs keep the completely arbitrary province of Transjordan, OTL established for the sole purpose of giving the Hashemites a little state, and part of British Arabia before the revolution ITTL?
-Why would a province named "Palestine" have a capital at Beirut, when that city was more typically associated historically with the region of "Phoenicia" or "Lebanon"?
-Why the French spelling for Beirut when it appears to have been in the British zone?

It might help if you specify how and why the Arab revolt happened. Right now you have a very diverse state, including Sunni and Shiite Iraqis, Sunni and Shiite Bedouins, not a few Christians of half a dozen different sects, Sunni Syrians, Ibadi Omanis, Sunni Yemenis, Sunni Hedjazis (pretty distinct from the Nejdis, for all that they're both Bedouins) some Alawites, some Druze, some Syrian ("Lebanese") Shiites, not to mention Bahai'i and almost certainly a bunch of Jews in Baghdad and Damascus even without any kind of Zionism. I know you wrote that it's the defender of secular democracy - but given that it's probably not Communist, how's that get pulled off?

Sorry if I seem a little nit-picky...

Very pretty map, though a few issues:

-Why British Trans Arabia. What is it across/across from? (e.g., Transylvania is across the heavily forested region that used to make up most of its western border. Transjordan was the part of the Mandate of Palestine that was across the Jordan river.

I think it can mean "across" in the sense of "extending across", too: the Trans-Siberian railway isn't on the other side of Siberia.

Bruce

It certainly would make more sense to give the Hejaz a Red Sea port between Hejaz and Transjordan: pretty thin population there to argue about.

Bruce

Crossposted from Motf

Doha's not on the tip of the peninsula.

Yemen would be called Aden without Sanaa.

The term 'Levant' does not extend to Iraq and Kuwait.

Najd seems to have no apparent capital.

Beirut would be part of Syria and not Palestine.

Bahrain is not part of the Federation?

Nice map though. It's quite pretty.

This is a map I made just for fun and to polish my skills at map making a bit. I know this is very in-plausible but i'm pretty satisfied with the result. If you have questions just shoot, I have a little bit backstory ready for this.

zyhsoy.jpg

This is a map I made just for fun and to polish my skills at map making a bit. I know this is very in-plausible but i'm pretty satisfied with the result. If you have questions just shoot, I have a little bit backstory ready for this.

What's with the Rio Grande curving back like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.