Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was written in 1917--of course it's sexist!

Anyway, I hate how Dejah Thoris at times seems to be a smart fighting gal, and then turns to helpless mush when Carter ambles around.

And yeah, the science fail sure is funny; however, how was Burroughs supposed to know the gravity on Mars? John Carter should've been able to jump about 7 or 8 feet straight up from standing still...and the Red Martians should've been about 8.25 feet tall...and the Green Martians shouldn't have existed. But the novel serves its purpose: to entertain!

I was thinking more about things like handguns with an accurate range of 200 miles, ecosystems that seem to consist entirely of predatory life forms, "extra colors" not on the spectrum, storable light that still lights things up while in storage, "fifth rays" which can be stored in tanks to cancel gravity, egg-laying women with breasts, etc. But it is entertaining, although best taken one book at a time: it become repetitious after a while otherwise.

(Nothing so wrong about Green Martians, in context. But how do you successfully sword-fight someone who has three times your reach and four arms to boot, even if you're no stronger than they are? :) John Carter's badassedness, I've noted, fluctuates wildly depending on plot needs: at one point he's killing Green Martians with a single blow of his fist, at another he's being successfully held at bay by an elderly red Martian which just happens to be very, very good. But this is really a discussion for chat or books and media).

Bruce

Here's a new map of my wank Italy series. We are in the early 80's, just prior to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

So, Greece saw a militaristic coup of state, exterminating the Royal family and going on a spiral of repressions. The Italians and their allies however started an embargo over the country and promoted a hidden opposition. The regime in Constantinople tried to react with a DOW over Turkey, culpable in their eyes to support their population in the Hellenic country, but Italy, receiving the OK from both USA and USSR, intervened in the conflict and so the entire Arab League.

Soon flanked from all fronts, the Greeks didn't find better than launch a nuclear bomb, which was an Italian "broken arrow" seized by the Greeks in the mid 60's, over Taranto, where the bulk of the enemy navy was concentrated. Taranto was devastated, and the Italian fleet drastically wiped out, but Rome retaliated nuking Patras and started a furious carpet bombardament over Greece. The fear and the rage provoked Greeks and Turks to rebel and overthrow the government in Constantinople, and accepting an unconditionated surrender.

Greece was placed under Italian occupation, giving the crown of the country to the son of Sofia of Greece and Vittorio Emanuele, so preparing an union of the crowns between Italy and Greece; besides the Hellenic country was so crippled it couldn't offer any type of opposition.

Turkey, Serbia and Bulgaria were repaid with the return of various lands; Ankara even obtained a direct access with Syria.

Meanwhile, the Iraq of Saddam Hussein won greatly the war with Iran; the regime wasn't overthrow, but the Mesopotamic country obtained Abadan and other lands. The Iranian regime strenghtned its ties with the USA, while the Shiite radicalism started to rise and going towards terroristic streaks.

In Africa, the Communists continued to expand, managing to overthrow the Portuguese regime in Angola; this forced Mozambique and Zimbabwe to search the Italian friendship, and the South African Republic to integrate Namibia and Botswana, in a quite aggressive way. Britain was forced to expel the country from the Commonwealth. Lesotho and Swaziland then forged alliances with Italy as well. Meanwhile, South Sudan started a campaign of liberation, soon obtaining the interest of the Italians.

Bangladesh and Sri Lanka joined the PASSA as well, as feeling threatened by India. Malaysia, Malacca and Singapore started to open negotiations too. Pakistan was interested as well, but Rome decided to stall for the moment the negotiations fearing to jeopardize things with India; the government of New Delhi started in fact to feel a complex of encirclement, and made diplomatic moves with Tehran. Iran was more than willing to befriend India.

While the PASSA grew, the rise of the EEC was more slow. In fact, the progress of the European Community was halted by the prominent power Italy will have in the organization (so unbalancing it), especially if she form an union with Greece.

Neither the USA were so happy, considering they gave too much to the Italians, not properly a superpower but still the third world power, both militarly and economically. Despite still officially friends of Rome, the various American administrations of the time (especially the Carter's one, who however received a bad blow with the Iranian defeat against Iraq) started to work to contain the Italian influence; this will allow them to cool down the tensions with the USSR and China, both interested to contain Italy as well. India too strenghtned her relations with Washington. Meanwhile, the Americans attacked the Italians about their support to dictatorships (Iraq, Burma, Central Africa, Zimbabwe, Syria).

It was however partially true. In other countries, Italy defended the democratic assets, such as the Philippines, where Marcos's dictatorship attempt was foiled by the Italian intervention. So was the same for Mozambique and Ethiopia.

Wank Italy Greece submits.png

Anyhoo, decided to do a version of "Bring the Jubilee" that's more true to the book - I'm trying to avoid contradicting the story straight out. I have the map, but the writeup will be a bit longer - need to recharge my snark batteries to do proper justice to it.

The CSA conquers Central America but leaves Cuba alone?

The CSA conquers Central America but leaves Cuba alone?

I am trying to stick with the book, in which Cuba is explicitly Spanish. If you want an explanation, I'm going with Spain is allied to the Germans, which even the mega-CSA does not want to anger unnecessarily

Bruce

I was thinking more about things like handguns with an accurate range of 200 miles,
[fanboy nitpicking] No they don't. Rifles have an accurate range of 200 miles.[/fanboy nitpicking].

Wait 'til you get to the later books, where we discover that stuff shrinks when it approaches Phobos or Deimos, and that Jupiter actually has lower gravity than Barsoom due to lack of centrifugal force.

Anyhoo, decided to do a version of "Bring the Jubilee" that's more true to the book - I'm trying to avoid contradicting the story straight out. I have the map, but the writeup will be a bit longer - need to recharge my snark batteries to do proper justice to it.

Wow, nicely done!

One question though: Why is there an independent WV in the CSA? If I remember correctly, it is mentioned that there's just a Virginia...

Avskygod0

Banned
Political situation in some random-ass world

DyCd4Ak3.png

As we can see, There is a lot of tension between TR and PCR, PCR's claim being an old colonial claim on the region, and TR claiming bits of PCR,already divided in half, other then that, the region is quite peaceful.

Political map of the Greater Germanic Empire, the Central European part.

After the end of the Second World War, Germany stood as the sole master of the European continent. The former European part of the USSR was divided into four Reichskommisariate (Ostland, Ukraine, Moskowien, Kaukasus) and one Reichsunmittelbarkeit (Siegerland).
Ostland was eventually transformed to something similiar to a personal union with the German Empire. The entire area was to be settled by Germans and the people already living there were to be Germanised.
Ukraine was in between a colony and a puppet state comprising several Generalbezirke. The six westernmost Generalbezirke were to be Germanised and settled with Germans, while the eastern half was declared a "Ukrainian National Territory" where the Ukrainians in the west were to be deported to. Comparable to the Bantustans of the Apartheid era South Africa.
Kaukasus was more like a union of several smaller countries comparable to republics in todays Russia, each with their own government but in external affairs subortinate to the Reichskommissar. Small areas that were economically significant were cleared of inhabitants and settled with Germans. Roughly 25% of each state's governmental positions were held by Germans.
Moskowien was a mix between a colony and several puppet states, with six Generalkommissariate and two autonomous republics. The autonomous republics had their own governments, while the other areas were ruled by Germans comparable to the way European colonies in Africa were ruled.
Adolfsburg (St. Petersburg) was the capital from which the east was administered.

To ensure German supremacy over the lands in the East, new highways and railroads were constructed along important routes. Along each route, new German inhabited cities were built, sometimes on top of old cities, sometimes completely from scratch. These highways and railroads stretched as far east as the Ural mountains.

Being outside the borders of the Empire did not ensure anyones safety, however. Denmark and Slovakia were German protectorates, Norway, Hungary, Romania, Greece, Croatia and Serbia were either German allies or puppets. France and Italy were German allies, each with their own colonies, protectorates and puppets. Overall, a pretty shitty world to live in.

map in next post

In some ways, that actually looks like a Brit-wank. What's the POD?

Just a few changes during the Great War. The Lusitania doesn't sink for one. The Germans do much better at Jutland and USB doesn't take effect. The US stays out of the war and when the French Army starts to mutiny in 1917 the Germans learn about it (as opposed to OTL) and press several attacks on the Western Front as a result of the opportunity afforded to them. They break through and take Paris not long afterwards. France's civil order starts to collapse and the government falls as central authority deteriorates. More and more soldiers throw down their arms and France thus capitulates to the Germans to deal with the present crisis. Germany transfers thousands of men to the fronts in the Balkans and Italy and Italy and Greece sue for a white peace since their allies in France bailed on them and Britain is starting to reconsider the war. Britain likewise agrees with a white peace with Germany. Britain actually gains land in the war in the Middle East and most of Germany's colonies save Tanganyika (Which did even better than OTL in holding out for 3-4 years). They annex the Congo since Belgium has become a German puppet state. Overall, Germany "won" the war but just barely and she is in no position to force anything from Britain on any terms other than "let's just stop fighting".

tuareg109

Banned
krinsbez said:
Jupiter actually has lower gravity than Barsoom due to lack of centrifugal force.

I've actually thought about this when trying to develop worlds in a science fiction setting. Would a very slowly rotating Earth-sized world (say, one Earth year/day) have lower gravity/apparently lower gravity (from the subject's frame of reference) due to the much lesser Centripetal Force? Centrifugal Force is a "phantom" force that doesn't affect acceleration, it is simply the opposite reaction against Centripetal.

Anyway, would this difference be noticeable, even if the planet is Earth-sized?

I'm not contesting Jupiter's strength of gravity in relation to Mars, of course.

Political map of the Greater Germanic Empire, the Central European part.

Mmm, those borders are sexy.

Why do all the beautiful map makers support mega-Germanies. Can't we have more beautiful mega-Italies, or Russias, or etc.?

Not that I want less of these crazy beautiful maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.