Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The year is 1930, and the First World War, which was fought to a standstill on the continent is over ten years. Also, Mexico is a populist dictatorship, while Ireland is a Dominion.

upl.png

Reposted, now with minor adjustments and fixed typos:

1st_alternate_map_of_croatia_by_magnificate-d6rn91q.png

Croatia, formed as an Italian protectorate after an ALT Italo-Yugoslav conflict. In time Italy suffered internal unrest due to the collapse of their fascism goverment and Croatia used the opportunity to rebel. Italy decided it's not worth serious effort and allowed Croatia to slip out of their immediate orbit. However, as Italian retreated to their coastal enclaves, Serbia invaded and annexed large swatches of former Croatia territories. In 1976 Croatia is an isolated and bitter state.

I think the Dezerae and the Zerukae are much closer in color, as are the Dendarae and Zaldizokae.

Well the Dendarae and Zaldizokae don't really overlap and are of similar cultural origin. The Dezerae are a little too close, but most of the desert-y first nations colours on TACOS are similar.

tuareg109

Banned
Croatia Map

Hmmm, a few issues:

Lika Region in Croatia (split in half between Croatia and Serbia) is an unlikely place for any ceasefire or treaty to have it divided; it is a wide and hilly plateau surrounded by mountains, and so would probably stay with one country or the other, given its easily-defensible borders.

Also, you have Croatia claiming the upper Una River valley, but not all of the valley? It seems unlikely that they'd claim the rocky gorges and thick forests of the upper valley, and not logically want to unite their domains by claiming the fertile and rich region around the City of Bihac, and then all the way through to Bosanska Krupa. Then, since this creates a spot (mostly Cazin and Kladusa) surrounded by Croat and Croat-claimed territory, you might as well round it out by claiming that too.

Also, if this Croatia is anything like the Ustase, they'll likely be claiming all of Bosnia anyway.

Hope this helps.

Lika Region in Croatia (split in half between Croatia and Serbia) is an unlikely place for any ceasefire or treaty to have it divided; it is a wide and hilly plateau surrounded by mountains, and so would probably stay with one country or the other, given its easily-defensible borders.
It is done to create the Dalmatian Enclave. Italy encouraged it to retain significant leverage against Croatia and Serbia would hardly say 'No' to more land, especially those of OTL Serbian Kraina.
Also, you have Croatia claiming the upper Una River valley, but not all of the valley? It seems unlikely that they'd claim the rocky gorges and thick forests of the upper valley, and not logically want to unite their domains by claiming the fertile and rich region around the City of Bihac, and then all the way through to Bosanska Krupa. Then, since this creates a spot (mostly Cazin and Kladusa) surrounded by Croat and Croat-claimed territory, you might as well round it out by claiming that too.
Point. Could you outline that border on the map?
Also, if this Croatia is anything like the Ustase, they'll likely be claiming all of Bosnia anyway.
Possibly, but the pre-rebellion Croatia had no Bosnia and these are just the official claims.

BTW, is there a nationalities or languages map of interwar Yugoslavia? I could certainly use that.

Deleted member 67076

Decided to remake the random map I did a few days ago and actually add in some backstory.

This is a snapshot of the world at 1500 shortly after the discovery of the New World by Andalusi traders attempting to find new trade routes to the Sahel states in Africa after Dynastic disputes and civil war separated them from their African holding, which is now the Caliphate of Africa

POD around the 900s:

-Al Andalus reforms and defeats the northern Iberian states, taking back some land and solidifying its realm. The hostility of the northern states (and now the Africa) has forced the Andalusi to constantly reform and improve itself. Now with the denial of trade routes and general hostility from the South, it is forced to find new trade routes, leading to the discovery of the new world. There traders began to establish relations with the natives, trading for gold and establishing small sugar plantations. The country's general mercantile army and close proximity to enemies dissuades them from having too large a presence in the isles, at least for now.

-The Ifriqiyan, or African Caliphate: Formerly part of Al Andalus. Now they horde the trade routes to themselves and troll the Europeans with their large navy.

-The Castillians attempt to take out the small fish before moving to the big ones. Can't take on France yet, so Galicia it is.

-Large, powerful and increasingly centralized; France is the major power in Western Europe after a period of decline. Only a coalition of minor powers prevents it from conquering all it can. Currently warring in Savoy.

-Britain is a bit of a Balkanized mess after the Normans messed up. The Norman assimilated, Romance (just barely) speaking south is the largest and has gotten the wonderful idea of unifying the island. What remains of Saxon England is trying to hold out. Keyword: Trying.

-Lotharangia (or Burgandy) is the important buffer between France and Germany. A power in its own right, the tightrope between France and Germany is getting a bit easier, thanks to internal improvements, centralization and stealing every good idea the Italians come up with.

- Ireland, Brittany, Wales and Cornwall are all fiercely independent and pretty much hate everybody.

-The German states are undergoing blobbing, while still trying to the facade of a unified Empire.

-Italy is about to begin the Risorgimento soon enough and the Renaissance is in full speed ahead. Who will unify? Its a bit of a gamble. Milan has the men, Tuscany is the most modern, Venice has the money, and Sicily has the experience.

-The Balkans, for now is quiet. Serbia is the big boy on the block.

-Hungary is angry at Venice and Romania for taking land.

-Poland is getting invaded and suffering setbacks for now. At least until she breaks out the Hussars and gives Russia and the Green Horde a bloody nose.

-The Byzantines lost Europe but not Asia this time. Right now they're a great power, with a sphere of influence all over the Caucus, Levant and much of Iraq. Currently in the middle of steamrolling what remains of the Syria.

-Egypt is just chilling.

-In Arabia, the Hedjaz and Oman are taking advantage of weakness and invading.

-Ethiopia is doing great, the only problem are those Goddamn Somalian pirates.

-Somalia pirates are feared throughout the waves. Arrgh!

-Persia has alot on its plate. Invasions in the north are just the most obvious.

-In China, as one dynasty falls, another rises. This time, the nomads with Islam. Korea stands its ground and beats back any invaders.

-Cold war is brewing between 3 Indian superstates.

Once again, the year is 1500.

1500.png

Used GIMP This time this is post Napoleonic Wars were the Spanish Sells Florida to the US. Spain conquers a massive amount of land in western North America. Napoleon gets most of Europe with a Treaty. China gains land. The Ottomans take over present day Saudi Arabia and surrounding Countries. and Britan gains land in South Africa,Southeast Asia,and Australia:
Mt11JTW.png

Used GIMP This time this is post Napoleonic Wars were the Spanish Sells Florida to the US. Spain conquers a massive amount of land in western North America. Napoleon gets most of Europe with a Treaty. China gains land. The Ottomans take over present day Saudi Arabia and surrounding Countries. and Britan gains land in South Africa,Southeast Asia,and Australia:

What? How did China conquer Iran... or JAPAN? And France just annexes Austria? And....

Reposting my MotF Entry:

Following the Napoleonic Wars, King William I was placed in charge of a United Kingdom of the Netherlands. This presented a problem as the South was nearly all Catholic, and Half French-Speaking; so in response, The King extended freedom of religion to Catholics. He also made separate Language Areas within the Kingdom: Dutch, [Netherlands, Limburg, Flanders,] and French, [Wallonia,] (Luxembourg was trilingual, but was not part of the UKoN, rather in a personal union with it.)

By the time of the Modern day, the Language Areas were constituent countries within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. (Similar to the countries within the KoN IOTL.)

Not pictured: Dutch Guiana, Dutch Antilles, and Dutch New Guinea.

1815-VerenigdKoninkrijkNederlanden.png

Last edited:

Seraphiel

Banned
What? How did China conquer Iran... or JAPAN? And France just annexes Austria? And....

I think he means to say that it a tad bit unplausible. Unless of course you got a very good reason for the events which shaped the map. For instance how exactly did China conquer Iran which lies hundreds and hundreds of miles from the Chinese heartland?

EDIT: Meant for KinxKing.

tuareg109

Banned
RYvZbk0.png

Una river valley outlined in black.

Kladusa and Cazin (roughly) in yellow.

I know these things because my dad's from this area and I've visited about two dozen times.

Okay, there goes my hope that the political map would get the most interest. Obviously I need to use more hard to determine colours.:p

Seraphiel

Banned
Okay, there goes my hope that the political map would get the most interest. Obviously I need to use more hard to determine colours.:p

I find the map very interesting, I love fantasy map made in png but I usually dont reply to anything unless I have something worthwhile to say.

Deleted member 67076

I feel you. I actually wrote a wall of text instead of just throwing it out there:eek:.

I really liked that map and wanted to know more about the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.