Map Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even so much ASB maps as "random shit happens for no reason" maps - for most ASB scenarios, there is some sort of "if miracle happens, then a, b, c follow" this is "a, b, and c miraculously happen, and, oh, look, doughnuts!"

(Agreed, though, they are relatively decent-looking)

Bruce

It's not even so much ASB maps as "random shit happens for no reason" maps - for most ASB scenarios, there is some sort of "if miracle happens, then a, b, c follow" this is "a, b, and c miraculously happen, and, oh, look, doughnuts!"

That is the original definition of ASB, though, wasn't it? "Shorthand for Deus Ex Machina." The bats were a criticism of something happening for no reason. I think they've gone through some semantic drift.

(Agreed, though, they are relatively decent-looking)

Bruce

Mmm, doughnuts… *drools*

Seriously though, I could not agree more with you and Fenrir_Angerboda. It's time this thread became the glorious thing it was in the past, and not just a place for posting maps that aren't thought out or particularly well-made. I think the only way to do this is to provide some serious help to the people who make maps, because it is for them this thread exists.

So I now propose a great offensive, like the great Landshark Offensive of times long since past (it's just a couple of years ago, but that's eons by Internet standards) which liberated the Alien Space Bats and Magic forum from the spammers, wankers, trolls and all the others who infested it at that time, to liberate the Map Thread (and all other parts of the forums involving maps) from this recent wave of unexplained randomness.

Krall, the founder and Chairman of our most honourable and gentlemanly Honourable Gentlemen's Club has taken an important initiative (although it was completely independent from this appeal). He has namely started an HGC project known as the Grand Unified Illustration Ideal, which aims at providing higher qualities of maps, flags, posters, and all other illustrations on these glorious boards of Ian's. I now appeal to the better side of everyone who has a reputation for cartography or other graphic work. Go out and spread your knowledge to the whole world (or at least the whole of AH.com) in whatever way you find suitable; make tutorials, make true examples of all of your works, tutor someone of lesser skills who asks for it, and above all, make pushes for improvements among our new mapmakers at every turn.

A great way to improve your mapmaking skill is to enter a Map of the Fortnight challenge; another is to make a brief scenario and then try to map it, and a third good way is to study others' work. Last but not least (no, this is more like last but most); try as hard and well as you can. You learn little about mapmaking by sitting about looking at other maps; try to improve your skill actively by trial and error. Don't feel the need to post every try you make; I, for example, have many a map attempt that just sits on my hard drive doing nothing, and I've probably made something like a hundred attempts. Yet I think the number of maps I've actually posted is less than twenty.

So in summary, go out there! Help people make maps! Any good timeline will be severely hampered without maps; they help people see the political changes brought about by the events which the timeline, in everything from glowing narrative sentences to plain historical statements, may tell of. Cartography is a cornerstone of good AH. The Grand Unified Illustration Ideal is a good start, but we need to all take action is real change is to happen. Remember your past victories, AH.com! Remember CF.net and OTL.com! Remember Landshark and his great offensive!

Me, I'll be going to sleep now; it's almost three o'clock in the morning here. Sleep and food are the only things that should be allowed to interfere with our goal! For all you who wish to join in the offensive, join me at the HGC thread or write a PM to me; together we are strong!

A map request I did for crisandm over on dA; an improved version of his Grand Republic of California map.

May still end up making some changes before I'll consider it 100% complete, but this is close enough for posting. 'merican history and geography is not exactly my strongpoint, but I thought this turned out pretty well.
crisandmgrandrepublicof.png

A map request I did for crisandm over on dA; an improved version of his Grand Republic of California map.

May still end up making some changes before I'll consider it 100% complete, but this is close enough for posting. 'merican history and geography is not exactly my strongpoint, but I thought this turned out pretty well.
Whoa o.o I don't see a timeline that I might still be born into very often. I could imagine my grandparents fleeing Deseret for the worker's paradise of California. Though those badlands are troubling.

Carson City looks like it should be a bit further east, and Stockton is not that close to the bay. It's inland. Other than that, nice map.

FDW

Banned
Carson City looks like it should be a bit further east, and Stockton is not that close to the bay. It's inland. Other than that, nice map.

It's position is right, it's just that the bay extends too far inland. (Though Stockton is a port)

Did you draw all of those divisions by hand? If so, I declare you either mad or just extremely attentive to detail. How about a compromise; attentive to detail to the point of madness?

Looking at it it appears that he used the map of Mexico's states for part of Mexico, as I definately see parts of some of them, however aside from that they do all appear to have been uniquely done.

Whoa o.o I don't see a timeline that I might still be born into very often. I could imagine my grandparents fleeing Deseret for the worker's paradise of California. Though those badlands are troubling.
Again, 'merican history is generally speaking not my thing, but it is pretty interesting to see it Balkanized with a 1930s PoD like this.

And yes, the Badlands seem quite troubling, more so than you can see on this. Take a look at the requesters map of North America, and you'll see that it covers, well, A LOT.

Indeed? I'll get it fixed then. Thank you for pointing it out.

It's position is right, it's just that the bay extends too far inland. (Though Stockton is a port)

My point remains that Stockton isn't right on the bay.
The San Francisco bay was just a black splotch on the basemap, so it was a bit difficult to get it 100% right. Thank you for pointing out my error; I'll get it fixed soon.

Edit:
Is this better?

Last edited:
Really? It's interesting, do you know where is this myth coming from?
For Mantua Carpetanensis, i didn't know either, and a quick search was unfructuous, have you more details?

Well, I don't know the exact origin of the nyth, but I bet that it has somethinhg to do with a lot of people wanking themselves with greek texts in the 16th century in the University of Alcalá de Henares (formerly Complutum). Iplacea is casually mentioned by Plinius ans Ptolomeo as part of Carpetania and supossedly it was in the Cerro del Viso, a mount in the shores of the Henares river. After the legend, Iplacea was funded by trojan exilées led by Tehuero. That Cerro del Viso has a plain on the top and controls perfectly the Henares and Jarama valleys, so it was a perfect plaace for an oppidum. And, actually, the original carpetanian town which became Complutum was there. Of course, there are not traces of trojans (what in the hell woukld be doing a trojan in interior Iberia) It's interesting also because that same mount is involved in another legend related to King Solomon's table, buit that's another story.

Mantua Carpetanarum (you didn't find anything because I'm retarded and confused the name) was, after the erudiote tradition, the capital of the the Carpetania. Yes, the assumption that the Carpetania had a capital is questionable enough. It was supossedly in the shores of the Manzanares river, and this was enough to make some people declare in the 18th century that Mantua Carpetanarum was Madrid. It makes political sense under the Bourbonic reforms. Probably it was in another place but not too far. However, unlike Iplacea, we have less legend around its existence and probably it doesn¡t overlap with another contemporary town, so it seems a more realistic option.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.