Map Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My crappy MoF:4 Entry

Untitled.png

1925 I tryed to make it a little biased (see racist) but i couldnt. I also thought of the KKK going to fight the zombies but that would kind of glorify them and thats no good now is it.

Well a country is a country and a city is a component part of a country. However, I see your point, but it was not the point I was trying to argue.

I don't think anyone on this site needs a lesson in the difference between a city and a country. In the map Greece had attacked Turkey and annexed Istanbul. Belgium conquering Paris is a perfectly apt analogy, except that Belgium would probably have a better chance than Greece would.

The world in 1950. I changed the colors to Soviet and puppets and allies on one side, and US, NATO and allies on another.

Soviet Wank 1950.PNG

Map of Alliances from the TL, circa 2070. War has not broken out yet, but tension rises between the Samarkand Development Union, and the combined nations of NATO and PATO. The SDU is ostensibly a trade bloc led by Russia that seeks to increase economic prosperity in its signatory countries; however, the mutual defence clause of the Treaty of Samarkand provides for Russian supply of member armies, and creates a monopoly of Russian influence in the areas.
Meanwhile, cooperation between the North Atlantic and Pacific Treaty Organisations, and the expansion of NATO to include South Atlantic and Indian Ocean countries, creates political tension, as the interests of several of its member nations conflict with those of SDU members.

A major war looms.
I'm more than a little confused by the changed borders in North America. What the crap happened?

Hapsburg

Banned
I'm more than a little confused by the changed borders in North America. What the crap happened?

I haven't gotten quite there in my TL yet. What I'm planning is the American Empire annexes Quebec and Manitoba in 2068; Alaska and Northern Ontario follow four years later; then Saskatchewan, Alberta, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut come in after the end of the Third World War in 2079. Finally, British Columbia, Ottawa Federal Territory, and Yukon join America in 2081, uniting all of Canada with America.
The Maritimes, Montreal (called Acadia), and Southern Ontario joined way earlier, in the early 2000's. Mexico was annexed in the 2020's. All there in the manual, though.

Magic in Britain...witches' and wizards' covens...
So OTL but 50 years earlier? :p

Last edited:
Map Contest 04 entry!

Legolas you dog! I was going to use leylines since the start and now I just look unoriginal!

Background:

A Discourse on the Etheric Sciences and the Beasts Thaumiformes by Arthur Bacon

...this realm of forces, known to the ancient Hebrews as Yesod, can best be thought of as a 'cats cradle' of strings, each connected with every other string, and each connected with a single particle of our material world. It is via these strings that the particles of the physical world, referred to as the Malkuth by the Hebrews and as 'Mal' in the argot of the more vulgar Etheric practitioners, can generation actions at a distance beyond the proximate banging of one lump of matter into another. The magnets lifting of a lump of iron, the inertia that means objects require energy to accelerate, or even the pull of the earth that holds each of us on the ground; all can be attributed to the various qualities of bindings possessed by each speck of matter. The great Newton's contribution, beyond his trivial formalisation of the properties of gravitic connection, was that there existed loci of binding forces that were not paired with any particular material particle, the famous 'Thaum' or wonder particle of his Philosophiæ Supernaturalis Principia Mathematica. With careful arrangement of an energetic material structure, or an act of will for what is the human mind if not a carefully arranged structure, a quantity of Thaums can be induced to replace the Etherium of a material, changing that material's natural properties; copper can be made harder than steel or release a corrusating charge, clay can be made to walk like a man, and so many other artifices of science that once were peddled by magicians...

...we know now that the low Ⱥ period that extended from roughly a thousand years before the birth of Christ to the early sixteen hundreds was actually unusual compared to the spread of prehistory. Mr Ual-losjiegŋa, the Ur-Vampire that was discovered frozen in Blåmannsisen glacier, spoke of unusual solar activity, a 'gulls flickering' in his own word, followed by many deaths due to abscess of the skin, after which the climate gradually warmed and thaumic levels massively decreased. Presumably this caused the death of most of the Thaumivore Megafauna apart from those who could escape forward in time like Mr Ual-losjiegŋa and the various members of the Draco genius, or those human-like Thaumiformes that could hide in areas of high natural Thaumic energy like the Vampires of the Carpathian mountains...

...despite the antagonistic nature of the two techniques thanks to the mythologising of the disputes in North America, Therianthropy and Patroniurgy have essentially similar philosophic roots – they both are about the extraction and establishment of etheric patterns. In the former, the pattern of an animal is coerced onto the etheric field of a thaumically energised man, whist in the latter the pattern of a man or beast is overlaid onto a suitable quantity of thaumitised inert matter. The therianthropic man sees his senses and to a lesser extent flesh warp to that of the 'beast-spirit' he totemises, whilst the energised matter stands to hominid form and marches to protect his creator...

...whilst many species and septs are both Thaumiformic and Thaumivoric to greater or lesser extents it is important to separate the two terms; a Thaumiform utilises the etheric medium as part of its natural life, whilst a Thaumivore must consume raw Thaums from the environment or other organisms to maintain itself. Thus a Thaumivore is by necessity a Thaumiformes, a Thaumiformes is not by necessity Thaumivoric if it can maintain it etheric abilities merely upon own its own energies. The Ur-Vampires compared to the modern Carpathian, Caucasian and Uralic subspecies form an excellent example of this; Mr Ual-losjiegŋa was capable of throwing a horse across a road and sensing other humans from leagues away, yet required a constant input of etheric energies from the environment in addition to human corpuscles that simply could not be procured in this lower Thaumic age. The modern subspecies have been rebuilt along a much more modest plan, trading the greater than human abilities in most part to survive the reduced energies of their native ranges. The Carpathian and Uralic varieties are now no more than two fifths stronger than a pure human of equal muscle mass, and their glamour acts to confuse and entice rather than obfuscate, and a Caucasian vampire is barely stronger than a man and only needs human blood once a month, though they have retained the greatest array of the Ur-Vampires senses...

...yet all three subspecies have retained certain biological features that are non-etheric as well, able to continue functioning outside their comfortable environment. The ability to engage in aestivation at will giving the appearance of centuries of life when the lifespan spent awake is no more than a man's, the ability to create demi-Vampires via a transfusion of the humours...

...some say it is England's lack of suitable metallic clays that leads us to produce few enough golems in the rabbinical style and none of the great war golems of the continent, others offer the kingdoms antipathy to Cordoban or Yiddish scholarship, or even a failure of character or grandeur in the English soul. The author scoffs at the claims and instead puts forth that it is the English love for personally freedom, allied with their skill with mechanism and coal fired rotaries that leads them to their Patroniurgy of Stitch and Steel based on Newtons grand accomplishments. For when the Englishman thinks of the etheric sciences he does not envision a twenty foot tall Fusil-marcheur, come to destroy his quiet village, but rather Sir Edward 'Lightning Fist' Colliers prosthetic arm, or the 1/32th hand douh that reloads his rifle or the 4th hand douh that he operates down in the local mill – things that exalt the man rather than the state...

Map:

The image hosting sites tend ton resize it to a hard to read level, so I recommend to my newly registered deviantART account to look at the damn thing as its hard to make some stuff out without the somewhat larger full res.

205oy2w.png

The Vampires were initially going to be a larger part of the map hence their detailing in the flavour - but things were getting crowded enough already...

Nymain - I think your map is better than mine. Less cluttered, for one thing.

Nugax - I love the projection and the old-fashioned feeling. Some of the labels are very difficult to read even in the larger version though, but that adds to the feeling as well.

Susano

Banned
Magic in Britain. Leylines, witches' and wizards' covens, and other funny things. My entry to MoF 4.
What? England has more magic potential than Scotland, and more than Ireland? That rather goes against most established mythology :p

What? England has more magic potential than Scotland, and more than Ireland? That rather goes against most established mythology :p

Well you have to avoid stupid cliches - the background to mine was explicitly to avoid the mass-shifting that so annoys me in most paranormal myths ;).

Thande

Donor

That was my thought as well.

I recall Susannah Clarke once claiming that the North of England is more magical than the South, which I think is debatable; the South has Stonehenge and Glastonbury Tor, after all.

That was my thought as well.

I recall Susannah Clarke once claiming that the North of England is more magical than the South, which I think is debatable; the South has Stonehenge and Glastonbury Tor, after all.

Maybe there's a correlation between the amount of chavs/neds and the amount of magic present in an area?

They're used as empty hosts by the Fey folk and other malevolent creatures. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.