Map of the Fortnight: Topic thread

Where'd you get the base map?
I made it, satellite height data and some radio frequency planning tools. I'll post it when I'm at my work computer... come to think of it, I'll put up links to some of the tools I used too. They could be adapted to AH.com purposes quite easily.

Or maybe a map of a OTL important city as ATL city-state?

African Superpower - no Draka analogues!

The Filibuster Republic: the XIX century was full of ambitious adventurers, personal armies and unstable non-civilized regions. The result of these things was some very short-lived and unusual nations, such as the Republic of Sonora, the Republic of Acre and the Kingdom of Sarawak. Create a map for one (or many) of those "Filibuster" states (from OTL or ATL) that manages to survive - it doesn't have to survive until present day, but it must exist for over 50 years.

I like these three ideas. I'd suggest one of my own, but all my creativity is tied up in my entry for the round.

Krall

Banned
Anyone can enter this thing at any stage right? I made a map and while its not that good, I felt like participating. :eek:

Anyone can enter, yes. Go ahead and post your entry in the entries thread.

After sea levels rose (impossibly ;) ) high, the islands of the British Archipelago became the home of many statelets with societies regressed to Middle Ages levels of technology.

I love "The Fingers of Anglia, in whence are found they with the KNOWLEDGE". :D

I love "The Fingers of Anglia, in whence are found they with the KNOWLEDGE". :D
I love that. Partly because I think it's referencing Aboriginal Australian oral history, knowing where ancient mountain ranges are even though they're now far underwater. Mainly because I bet they're really irrational about entire cultures no-one else in that TL has ever heard of :p

Where'd you get the base map?
See here dude.

Last edited:
Dar as-Salam - Islam never spread beyond the Arabian peninsula, and it was never the target of Crusades. Create a map of the Middle East in modern days.

Roman Caliphate - Create a map of the Mediterranean where the Caliphate or the Ottoman Empire has recreated or approached recreating the Roman Empire

Después del evento mal - Something really bad happened in the Iberian peninsula. Be it a disaster, a horrible war, a nuclear conflict, or anything bad really, create a map of the aftermath of this bad event.

Krall

Banned
TimelineExplorer, your entry also doesn't meet the requirements of the challenge. The idea is that humanity and the world as we know it has ended, and society has re-emerged from the ashes following different cultural and technological lines.

Zonguo outposts? Sounds like some sort of Chinese identity survived...

(Bedouin? Same old same old. :D )

Bruce

A new landmass - Create the map of a landmass(be it a continent, Island, Archipelago etc...) that does not exist in OTL

A different partition of the Roman empire(can be from various reasons)

Native American peoples mostly survive until present day. Create a map of the Americas mostly populated by indigineous peoples.

Alt TL 191 - Create a map of the world of 2010 in a universe where the Entente Win TL 191's Great War.

Divided Germany - Create a map showing at least 5 different German states on one condition, the POD Must be no earlier than 1914.

President Winston Churchill - Create a map of the wold of 2010 where Winston Churchill has at some point been POTUS.

Krall

Banned
Due to my desire to use a more specific and historical challenge as the basis for a MoF, I decided to look through the thread looking for old ideas that weren't used, but are interesting and meet my "more specific, historical" criteria.

See if any of these tickle your fancy, or get your grey matter working for a challenge suggestion of your own:

White Russia in WWII

Muslim Chinese Dynasty
A Map from a world where Mehmed II managed to conquer Italy.
Germany Shall Not Rise Again: Post-war territorial arrangements in Europe1921-1929
Alternative division of the Frankish Empire
Surviving Spanish Viceroyalty in South America
In 1813, Napoleon Crowns himself Caesar in Constantinople. Map shows that world in 1920.
A map depicting the spread of an ATL religion or philosophy

Interesting, AE: but if the machine-men are only reaching really high tech levels after three and a half millenia, how have they kept themselves running all this time? Just superior engineering? :D

Bruce

Interesting, AE: but if the machine-men are only reaching really high tech levels after three and a half millenia, how have they kept themselves running all this time? Just superior engineering? :D

Bruce

They were rather busy cleaning up from the last war (which took ages because of... well I'm not saying :D) and building their numbers back up to strength. Most of the energy was supplied by fuel cells and good old fasioned solar power ;). Because of their peculiar designs, they weren't so badly affected by the disaster.

By the way, I didn't mention when the apocalypse took place... :p

Zonguo outposts? Sounds like some sort of Chinese identity survived...

(Bedouin? Same old same old. :D )

Yep, though Chinese cities mostly burned in the war, the idea of China was not extinguished. The centre of that civilization is even further away, though, because most of the population of that empire now live on the exposed land left by the retreating Yellow and East China Seas. They are in a Tang dynasty-like expansive phase at the moment (except on bikes!) and the outposts are their most western points of expansion.

I can't tell, but are their canibalistic eskimos on the North-West coast of France?

"Raw Flesh" doesn't necessarily have to mean human flesh :p Though it might. The culture there most closely resembles Inuit culture, southwestern France now somewhat resembling northern Canada in terms of climate.

two ideas I had.

The first comes from the TL Napoleon's campaign across the Anduin. I guess it could be called "Campaigns of the ISOT". Nappy fighting in the Anduin, Alexander the Great in Issac's Empire, the armies of the first crusade in the Raptor of Spain or something along those lines.

or

Sports!

Some kind of sports map, this might be to broad and hard to represent outside of just coloring countries and labeling cities though :rolleyes:

An idea I thought of earlier;

Merged countries remain Independent.

Ex: Texas, Hannover (or other German minor countries), Tannu-Tuva etc.